Stats: 3,153,114 members, 7,818,322 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread - Education (177) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread (723654 Views)

University of Ibadan 2019/2020 Admission Thread / 2017/2018 University of Ibadan(UI) Postgraduate Forms Is Out / Osun State University (UNIOSUN ) 2017/2018 Post UTME /admission Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) ... (463) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by Hardebaryor(m): 3:25pm On Oct 13, 2017
DrBESTJC:
Hello Guys.....
Apart from these documents...

> JAMB REGISTRATION-SLIP
> JAMB ORIGINAL RESULT
> EVIDENCE OF COMPLETION OF UI PUTME REGISTRATION FORM

Is there any other document that we are required to come to the exam hall with?
JAMB original result ke ah i don enter one chance

Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by EngrBello(m): 3:29pm On Oct 13, 2017
chufor:

But the book is saying the former is correct oh

They're wrong
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by Nltaliban(m): 3:39pm On Oct 13, 2017
Dunsin89:

Check my signature

The price is not on your siggy
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by Hardebaryor(m): 3:54pm On Oct 13, 2017
EngrBello:

They're wrong
Actually the former is the right answer sir. This is because they are performing an action.

Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by Aybalance: 4:10pm On Oct 13, 2017
oldfoolnigger:

the former....

congregation there is a collective noun(Notional Concord)

normally, collective noun goes with singular verb but in this case it performs action and for that, it attracts plural noun...

let break it down...

the congregation (that's the members) are dancing not is...

let me come and be going..
oh no sir... go and be coming...lols
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by oldfoolnigger(m): 4:14pm On Oct 13, 2017
EngrBello:

It depends on how the noun is been used...either singular or plural form.
Collective noun like choirs, would be followed by are
While choister would be followed by is

The congregation is/was(PT) dancing
The congregation s are/were(PT) dancing

The correct answer is IS because the collective noun was a singular

No need arguing... that's just ur opinion.
lol...the congregation there is not a singular noun but a plural one....
consider this example now..

Our club is ten years old today(it attracts singular verb cos club there stands for just organization or its physical building and didn't perform any action)

our club are holding meeting tomorrow (our club here now stands for the members and not just the organization..Also they will be performing action which is "holding meeting "winkthat's why plural verb was used.

Same way congregation (members are performing action which is " singing "wink it should attract plural verb and not a singular one...

The question is even straightforward...Not confusing as other questions from notional Concord
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by oldfoolnigger(m): 4:18pm On Oct 13, 2017
Aybalance:
oh no sir... go and be coming...lols

Hahaha... me and "make I come and be coming "
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by Josed1: 4:19pm On Oct 13, 2017
[quote author=Mobuoy19 post=61326107]N= remaining value.

No----------------- 0

N/2 ----------------20 years

N/4-----------------40 years

∴ it will take 40 years for the activity to become quarter of the original.

bosses pls help solve these questions
1 a force of 20N applied parallel to the surface of horizontal table is just sufficient to make a block of mass 4kg set for motion. Find the acceleration when the force is doubled.

2 a vibrating string has a tension of 40N and produces a note of 200Hz when plucked in the middle. When the length of string is unaltered and the tension is increased to 160N the frequency becomes?

3 how far from a concave mirror of radius 120cm must an object be placed such that its erect image is four times its natural size

Thanks in anticipation
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by oldfoolnigger(m): 4:20pm On Oct 13, 2017
Hardebaryor:
Actually the former is the right answer sir. This is because they are performing an action.

More power to ur elbow joor

make I come and be going
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by oldfoolnigger(m): 4:23pm On Oct 13, 2017
DrBESTJC:
Hello Guys.....
Apart from these documents...

> JAMB REGISTRATION-SLIP
> JAMB ORIGINAL RESULT
> EVIDENCE OF COMPLETION OF UI PUTME REGISTRATION FORM

Is there any other document that we are required to come to the exam hall with?

Evidence of payment too....
check the mail u used to register for post utme and print it from there.
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by Hardebaryor(m): 4:27pm On Oct 13, 2017
oldfoolnigger:

More power to ur elbow joor

make I come and be going
Lol before you come and be going, is it true that we are to bring our jamb original result along because i haven't print mine
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by oldfoolnigger(m): 4:36pm On Oct 13, 2017
Hardebaryor:
Lol before you come and be going, is it true that we are to bring our jamb original result along because i haven't print mine

Yea...very important

hope I can come and be going now?
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by Hardebaryor(m): 4:37pm On Oct 13, 2017
oldfoolnigger:

Yea...very important

hope I can come and be going now?
Ok thanks you can now be going
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by Pharmizzy(m): 4:55pm On Oct 13, 2017
hello, plz is the any kogite here coming for the post ume. urgent response please
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by Dunsin89(m): 5:00pm On Oct 13, 2017
Nltaliban:

The price is not on your siggy

Call the number
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 13, 2017
EngrBello:

But they are performing an action that is why the answer become 'are'

But they are performing an action that is why the answer become 'is'
I am even thinking of something ,what if the question was like
The congregation are neat
The congregation is neat
As for me I am going for the latter
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by NaturalWoman: 5:14pm On Oct 13, 2017
EngrBello:

Sometimes, English doesn't go the way we think it would. There are different rules guiding different kinds of sentences. Ever heard of notional concord

Lemme explain.
Notional agreement, sometimes called notional concord or synesis, means applying subject-verb agreement rules according to the intended meaning rather than according to syntax. So we can pair a singular noun with a plural verb or a plural noun with a singular verb when the intended meaning calls for it:

The school committee disagree about what to cut from the budget.(I know you'd have said 'the school committee disagrees about what to cut from the budget') Here, I want you to notice that the committee here refers to members of the committee and not committee as a compound word.

People tend to concentrate on the exact word that they take to be the subject of the sentence when sometimes they should be looking at the thought that the word represents.

Chufor

Look at sentences critically before proffering an answer

Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by NaturalWoman: 5:42pm On Oct 13, 2017
chufor:

But they are performing an action that is why the answer become 'is'
I am even thinking of something ,what if the question was like
The congregation are neat
The congregation is neat
As for me I am going for the latter

Let me put it this way.

Sometimes, what you look out for is whether the subject is acting individually. If they are, you apply a plural verb.

Maybe I should say, if the notion is one of a group of individuals acting individually, use the plural verb

Eg The congregation is dancing(it's an individual action)
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by oldfoolnigger(m): 5:45pm On Oct 13, 2017

Atlantia,weldon oo
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by NaturalWoman: 5:50pm On Oct 13, 2017
Are there no Economics or Government students here? cry

It's totally heartbreaking embarassed

Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by ugo147: 6:32pm On Oct 13, 2017
Pls on the post utme day.....what are the people who are going for the post utme ought to bring.........
And I heard oau post jamb was just 40questions .......will ui do the same
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by NaturalWoman: 6:39pm On Oct 13, 2017
ugo147:
Pls on the post utme day.....what are the people who are going for the post utme ought to bring.........
And I heard oau post jamb was just 40questions .......will ui do the same

Egbon, expect 100 questions from UI. Na their own dey different undecided

25 questions per subject
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by EngrBello(m): 7:06pm On Oct 13, 2017
oldfoolnigger:

No need arguing... that's just ur opinion.
lol...the congregation there is not a singular noun but a plural one....
consider this example now..

Our club is ten years old today(it attracts singular verb cos club there stands for just organization or its physical building and didn't perform any action)

our club are holding meeting tomorrow (our club here now stands for the members and not just the organization..Also they will be performing action which is "holding meeting "winkthat's why plural verb was used.

Same way congregation (members are performing action which is " singing "wink it should attract plural verb and not a singular one...

The question is even straightforward...Not confusing as other questions from notional Concord

Check that out....
Look at this examples ;
Group. ; Groups
Club. ; Clubs
Congregation. : Congregations

They are all collective nouns...

is must follow..not are

Am done,arguing

Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by EngrBello(m): 7:26pm On Oct 13, 2017
Hardebaryor:

E.g undecided
The Club is playing
OR
The Club are playing
OR
The clubs are playing

sometimes, action words that stands as predicate don't determine the use of is/was/are/were
What determines it mostly is the object state, either in singular or plural
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by Pes13: 7:31pm On Oct 13, 2017
EngrBello:

E.g undecided
The Club is playing
OR
The Club are playing
OR
The clubs are playing

sometimes, action words that stands as predicate don't determine the use of is/was/are/were

Sorry, do you mean club =singular clubs =plural
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by oluwalummy: 7:31pm On Oct 13, 2017
EngrBello:

Check that out.... Look at this examples ; Group. ; Groups Club. ; Clubs Congregation. : Congregations

is must follow..not are

Am done,arguing

the lord is your strength
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by NaturalWoman: 7:32pm On Oct 13, 2017
EngrBello:

E.g undecided
The Club is playing
OR
The Club are playing
OR
The clubs are playing

The police is coming

The police are coming

Which is correct??

I'm sorry to say this but to naive English speakers, some words sound absurd but are actually correct.

You should go through notional concord
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by oluwalummy: 7:36pm On Oct 13, 2017
please where did y'all hear that we were to bring original jamb result on the exam day and are we to go to the jamb office to get that
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by oldfoolnigger(m): 7:48pm On Oct 13, 2017
EngrBello:

Check that out.... Look at this examples ; Group. ; Groups Club. ; Clubs Congregation. : Congregations

is must follow..not are

Am done,arguing

Enough said too.. u can choose the one u want.... Nice day,sir.
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by oldfoolnigger(m): 7:49pm On Oct 13, 2017
NaturalWoman:
Are there no Economics or Government students here? cry

It's totally heartbreaking embarassed

Government
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by NaturalWoman: 8:07pm On Oct 13, 2017
oldfoolnigger:

Government

Oya, throw question make I catch am jare

Tell me the topics you've gone through
Re: University Of Ibadan(UI) 2017/2018 Admission Thread by EngrBello(m): 9:01pm On Oct 13, 2017
NaturalWoman:

The police is coming

The police are coming

Which is correct??

I'm sorry to say this but to naive English speakers, some words sound absurd but are actually correct.

You should go through notional concord

You need to learn and go through it very well first...
Uncountable noun is slightly different from collective noun
Police is an uncountable noun(though,its also a collective and verb too) but its not like congregation and club

Might sounded absurds to you....but your intonations matter

(1) (2) (3) ... (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) ... (463) (Reply)

The Obafemi Awolowo University Admission Thread For 2014/2015 Academic Session. / Unilag 2015/2016 Admission / University Of Ibadan 2013/2014 Admission