Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,548 members, 7,823,408 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:49 AM

88 Yr Old Grandpa Goes Back To School - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 88 Yr Old Grandpa Goes Back To School (787 Views)

Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? / Can You Donate Your Kidney To Your 90yr Old Grandpa? / Would You Donate Your Kidney To Your 85yr Old Grandpa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

88 Yr Old Grandpa Goes Back To School by AloyEmeka6: 3:47am On Dec 29, 2009
[size=14pt]Aged 88, it's back to school for Nigerian granddad[/size]
Posted To The Web: Monday, December 28, 2009 - Spectrum

it's back to school for Nigerian granddad Abubakar Muhammad Barinjimi Aged 88
Abubakar Muhammad Barinjimi is in the twilight of his life at 88 but, sitting here in his primary school classroom, he's got ambitious plans for further education well beyond his centenary. His fellow students at this school in Nigeria's main northern city of Kano are seven years old, they haven't the kind of long beard he boasts, and while they fit on small chairs, his is special to accommodate his frame. Yet Barinjimi is learning exactly what they're learning as he builds up to his ultimate goal-a doctorate in theology.

That could be some way off-he's still mastering the art of reading and writing, and going through school and college at the same pace as the average student would make him at least 120 before he gets a doctorate. Still, nothing ventured nothing gained. "I'm not deterred by my age," the bespectacled Barinjimi said,
holding his pencil as he looks up from his book with a broad smile.

My ultimate ambition is to bag a doctorate degree in theology before I depart this world." The retired builder enrolled in 2008 at the privately-run Nigeria-Egyptian Model School, which teaches Islamic theology alongside conventional subjects. Dressed in a chequered kaftan of white and brown, a pair of brown trousers with matching cap, white socks and brown plastic sandals, Barinjimi looks like any other pupil in this mainly-Muslim northern city. He has eight children and over 60 grandchildren and travels
six kilometers (four miles) by bus to school.

His children, who were themselves educated, help out. "I was elated when he told me of his plan to go to school, and so were my siblings," said one son, 42-year-old college teacher Sani Barinjimi. "We give him all the moral and financial support he requires to actualise his dream and we are proud of him." Barinjimi's initial goal was to be able to read the Koran. Having achieved that to some extent, the next step is to become a theology expert so that he can preach Islam to English-speaking non-Muslims.

For a doctorate certificate Barinjimi needs at least 25 more years-four at primary, then junior and senior high schools before college, first degree, master's degree and finally the doctorate. Barinjimi's decision to start school at the age of 87 underscores the low literacy rate in this state of 10 million people which, according to the Kano State Agency for Mass Literacy, stands at a mere 34 percent.

Nationally, Nigeria's literacy rate has improved markedly in the past few years, from 55.3 percent in 2003 to 69.1 percent this year, according to the education ministry. However, Barinjimi is one of those who have been left behind because they never had the opportunity of attending school. Instead of making him go to classes, his father took him to a local builder where he became an apprentice. It was a trade that enabled him both to earn a decent living and bring up eight children, all of whom went to sc
hool themselves.

Nicknamed Baba ('father' in the local Hausa language) by his teachers and co-students, Barinjimi isn't bothered by the age difference with those around him. "I feel happy learning among these friends, whose presence around me gives me much courage and encouragement," he said, "although they are not older than my grandchildren. "In fact, I have two grandchildren-a girl and a boy-studying in this school and the granddaughter who is eight is in grade three while I'm in grade two and I have no problem with tha
t.

Teachers and students say he is making progress. "He is the fourth in academic performance in his class, he always takes the fourth position in any quiz or examination the class conducts. He is learning fast," head teacher Suleiman Garba Hussein told AFP. "It's just amazing how he has been able to adapt to the school environment and behave as a seven-year-old. He gets along with all the pupils and doesn't want to be treated differently.

We enjoy learning with Baba and he is wonderful when we play. He is among my best friends in the school," said Fatima Garba, a fellow pupil. Whether Barinjimi obtains his doctorate, he feels he has learned something in the past year. "The one important lesson I have learnt is that without education life is worthless," he said. "I'll strive to earn my doctorate as long as I live."-AFP

http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=12259&z=12
Re: 88 Yr Old Grandpa Goes Back To School by TOYOSI20(f): 4:27am On Dec 29, 2009
Gbam!!

They do say its never too late! cheesy
Re: 88 Yr Old Grandpa Goes Back To School by coolier(f): 11:53am On Dec 29, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

[size=14pt]Aged 88, it's back to school for Nigerian granddad[/size]
Posted To The Web: Monday, December 28, 2009 - Spectrum

For a doctorate certificate Barinjimi needs at least 25 more years-four at primary, then junior and senior high schools before college, first degree, master's degree and finally the doctorate.

http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=12259&z=12

More grease to your elbow Baba. If he keeps this up, he should be able to graduate by the time he is 125yrs.
Re: 88 Yr Old Grandpa Goes Back To School by MrCrackles(m): 11:57am On Dec 29, 2009
Dang shocked shocked shocked
Re: 88 Yr Old Grandpa Goes Back To School by AloyEmeka6: 9:35pm On Dec 29, 2009
coolier:

More grease to your elbow Baba. If he keeps this up, he should be able to graduate by the time he is 125yrs.

He can buy the degrees if he is rich. Some of our politicians do it but who will hire him after accumulating these degrees?. Unless he will be looking for job openings in heaven. wink
Re: 88 Yr Old Grandpa Goes Back To School by MrCrackles(m): 3:21am On Dec 30, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

He can buy the degrees if he is rich. Some of our politicians do it but who will hire him after accumulating these degrees?. Unless he will be looking for job openings in heaven. wink
I think Baba is planning for life after. . . .
Re: 88 Yr Old Grandpa Goes Back To School by skfa1: 3:24am On Dec 30, 2009
where the man dey when he was still ayounge? grin
Re: 88 Yr Old Grandpa Goes Back To School by AloyEmeka6: 6:27am On Dec 30, 2009
MrCrackles:

I think Baba is planning for life after. . . .

Are those schools he is attending accredited in heaven?
Re: 88 Yr Old Grandpa Goes Back To School by sayso: 9:27am On Dec 30, 2009
new dimension in madness
Re: 88 Yr Old Grandpa Goes Back To School by MrCrackles(m): 11:12am On Dec 30, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Are those schools he is attending accredited in heaven?
Yes duely accredited by God. . . . wink
Re: 88 Yr Old Grandpa Goes Back To School by harakiri(m): 12:33am On Jan 05, 2010
What do i call this?

Ridiculous or ludicrous ?Which?

(1) (Reply)

The World's Second Pregnant Man / 'like Mother,like Daughter' / How To Negotiate A Reasonable Bride-price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.