Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,407 members, 7,954,613 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:14 AM

Vandalisation Of Phed Facilities By Phed Officials - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Vandalisation Of Phed Facilities By Phed Officials (555 Views)

Lockdown: Angry Residents Beat Delta State Taskforce Officials, Today / Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos / Enetsud Laments The Vandalisation Of Electrical Equipment In Kwara State Communi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vandalisation Of Phed Facilities By Phed Officials by gayser2017: 10:36pm On Apr 07, 2017
INFRINGEMENT OF ELECTRICITY CUSTOMERS RIGHT, VANDALISATION OF PHED PROPERTIES BY OFFICIALS OF PORTHARCOURT ELECTRICITY DISTRIBUTION COMPANY(PHOTOS)

Seun, kindly make this post on the front page.

Dear Learned Nairalanders & to whom it may concern

Permit me to bring to your notice the acts of vandalism practised by PHED officials on PHED facilities in Rumuaholu-Pipeline, PortHarcourt. These activities are masterminded by a single individual who Lords PHED properties illegally.

I moved into the area in May 2015 and met the absence of electricity facilities unlike the adjacent streets. The Power supply that entered our street came from the back , we knew it was temporary because it passed over people's lands and I started paying my bills there of, the temporary arrangement not withstanding. Hence we swung into action writing to PHED (in August,2015) asking for poles & cables. After several visits to their offices, we were informed of PHED's incapacitation on executing projects like ours. We took their advice which is to fund the project ourselves on the street. All hands went on deck and we began to have meetings, calling those that were developing properties there in, costing materials etc. Finally we arrived at a cost of #235,000 to power the whole street and when shared among 8 residents, individuals began to work towards their own #30,000(approx.)

In early 2016,another resident who was just completing her building was informed of the on-going street project. She showed interest as she needed to have light when she moves in and she offered to facilitate the project in order to meet up with her pace. She was asked for her cost estimate so as to ensure that we are on the same page but instead of presenting it, she detached from the plan. In a matter of days, 4poles and bare conductors came into the street but stopped just in front of her house ( which is just mid-way into the street). This only worsened the matter on ground. After several abortive attempts to talk things through with her, she came out plain that the facilities brought to the street were hers and that any one who might be willing to connect will sign an undertaking which will compel us to pay. .....the other residents agreed on a condition that we see her claimed cost first. We only waited and waited in vain for 2months, no cost came.

In September 2016, an opportunity to ask for the her claimed bill arosed again. I got a Prepaid Meter and decided to connect to the Power source closest and most secure to me, which is the pole in front of my house ( our buildings are exactly opposite each other). I sought the opinion of the PHED officials whom I had come across in the race of this light connection and every one unanimously agreed that she has no right to stop me from connection. It will only be fair to her as a neighbour to at least pay whatever my cut is in her claimed cost. Things went according to plan, I connected to the pole on the street and a fight ensued, afterwards a cost of #324,000 appeared in no time at all! She added that if she has to complete the remaining work on the street,an extra #103,200 to make the bill will be #427,200.!!! To make peace, we went for the cost that will complete the project and divided it into to 8residents and that amounted to #53,400. It was also stated that the payment must be made to her before any reconnection. I paid mine into the account she provided on 30th September,2016. So apart from her, I am the only one who gets power supply from the poles.

Meanwhile in June 2016, the transformer serving the whole area got bad. So admist my Prepaid Meter installation and payment of " her dues" ,there was no light but I did the needful and waited patiently for the transformer to be repaired. Some groups who could not wait for the repair, came together in 5s to install mini-transformers (5KVA) and my neighbour happened to be part of it. It was just me & her on the poles and cables so she had to run a recline cable to supply power to her house. After 10months of waiting, the old transformer got fixed (March,2017) and everyone had light: either from the old or new transformer. Then she strucked again....... disconnecting and cutting the bare conductors from the old transformer claiming she wanted to take away her cables.

Her illegal actions were reported at the PHED office and it took 4days with several visits and calls to bring a team to even confirm my allegations. Afterwards,it took another extra day to decipher the way forward which is to buy cables so I can have light....... I had to pay #33,200 for recline cables and the connection was done. The following week, another team of PHED officials in their official vehicle (*DL 286 LSD*) along side some individuals came to vandalise the remaining conductors again, on my neighbour's instruction. The cables that supply Power to my building were taken on the masterminder's order. The case was timely reported to the PHED office and all evidences (see photos) was sent to the appropriate table but up till this moment, no one has been held responsible for this vandalism and let alone talking about my light restoration.... !

After another visit to PHED office days ago, my neighbour's power supply was cut off too in order to summon her to PHED office. I was invited too and we had a long talk with the top PHED official (that had been on the case from inception). He played the mediator role and to my dismay,my neighbour showed remorse and insisted that my #53,400 be refunded since she has removed all her cables. The top PHED official there present authorised my acceptance of the refund as a sign of peace too from my end and promised to restore my light that day. I gave my account details and the payment was effected that day 4th April,2017. As a matter of fact, the mediator came visiting the next day to our street and had a long talk with her and after which he preached peace again and also gave me his word once again on my reconnection.

It's been 5days now and my light has not been restored but my neighbour's own on the other had has been restored under the authority of our this same man! I kept calling him (the PHED official)and he has been giving one excuse or the other. He came out straight yesterday saying I as well as other residents on the street should sign an undertaking which my neighbour will provide........now we are back to status quo. He (a top PHED official ) also claims he does not have access to cables that can supply Power on just 4poles for a customer who pays her bills promptly....... !

This is my plight as well as that of other residents on my street in the hands of irresponsible and corrupt PHED officials who not only infringe on customers rights but also stoop so low to be partners in crimes in illegal dealings and vandalisation of PHED properties.

So I call on sincere PHED officials, NERC and other regulatory bodies to ensure that my rights as an Electricity Consumer is protected and that my Electricity power supply be restored and curb the excesses of individuals and PHED officials who takes delight in oppressing other people.

*Should this post get to PHED and they are willing to right their wrongs, below is my e-mail address
gayser2017@gmail.com
I 'm also open to suggestions from well meaning Nigerians.
Thanks & God bless.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vandalisation Of Phed Facilities By Phed Officials by gayser2017: 10:43pm On Apr 07, 2017
PHED official and vehicle

Re: Vandalisation Of Phed Facilities By Phed Officials by gayser2017: 10:45pm On Apr 07, 2017
PHED official just descending the ladder

Re: Vandalisation Of Phed Facilities By Phed Officials by gayser2017: 10:51pm On Apr 07, 2017
Bare conductor disconnected on the pole entering the street

Re: Vandalisation Of Phed Facilities By Phed Officials by ProfPlummer: 9:54pm On Apr 09, 2017
lalasticlala: kindly do the needful on this post by sending to the front page. This a human right violation case
Re: Vandalisation Of Phed Facilities By Phed Officials by clems88(m): 11:31pm On Apr 09, 2017
I is coming back
Re: Vandalisation Of Phed Facilities By Phed Officials by gayser2017: 6:41am On Apr 11, 2017
PHED official vehicle with logo

Re: Vandalisation Of Phed Facilities By Phed Officials by gayser2017: 2:55am On Apr 15, 2017
it's been 12days (since 4/4/17) with no Electricity supply for me.....despite been a Prepaid Meter User
with credit in my meter and PHED is yet to wake up to their responsibility.
Is our country truly a lawless one?

(1) (Reply)

Four Killed In Fresh Cult Clashes In Rivers / PHOTOS: Car Snatcher Escape Mob In Ughelli / Miscreants Go On Rampage In Lagos Killing 3 And Many Injured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.