Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,146 members, 7,829,097 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

Why There’s Crisis In APC – Oyegun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why There’s Crisis In APC – Oyegun (774 Views)

Buhari To Intervene As APC, Oyegun’s Bickering Worsens / Battle For The Soul Of APC: Oyegun Digs Fresh Joker For Tinubu / Why They Want Me Out As Chairman Of APC – Oyegun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why There’s Crisis In APC – Oyegun by hulkhiharitoz(m): 6:57am On Apr 08, 2017
Chief John Odigie-Oyegun: I don’t think I have been quiet. I don’t think the party too has been quiet. But we respond to substantial issues. We don’t react to every publication on the social media, print media or other platforms like that. And in any case, an opposition does not exist. It is very busy with itself. We have been sufficiently dealing with our own issues and the direction of governance. Also internally, a lot of work is being done. I don’t share your views.

DT: The National Assembly dominated by APC members seem to have ironically constituted an opposition bloc to President Muhammadu Buhari. What is the party doing to tackle the face-off between the National Assembly and the Presidency?

Oyegun: Let me say that I don’t agree with the fundamental basis of your question that the National Assembly members have constituted themselves into an opposition bloc to the president. The answer is no. I don’t think there is any evidence for that. If you say that there have been unfortunate disagreements between the National Assembly and a few persons connected with the president, okay. But as far as basic loyalty to Mr President is concerned, the whole place is replete with evidence as to the basic loyalty of the National Assembly to Mr President. I don’t know any substantial bill which has gone to them but has not been treated. You can look at the confirmation of the ministers and the ambassadors recently cleared. Yes, they are elected by the people. In one or two instances, if there is a difference of opinions, it has to be resolved. It is expected. Our constitution was designed in a way to create checks and balances. The fact that we have three independent arms of government at the federal level is deliberately engineered to ensure that all the arms keep one another in check. That is what is going on. So, these differences are bound to happen in a democracy. What is important is that we resolve these differences.

DT: What was the outcome of the meeting you had with the APC senate caucus?

Oyegun: We had beautiful outcomes. We discussed a list of issues-the budget, the question that you raised as to the atmosphere between the National Assembly and certain persons around the Presidency or the appointees of Mr President, the seeming conflicts that seem to have generated little things like uniform or no uniform. Those are not substantial issues. So, we also discussed that. I left the meeting in a happy mood. It’s clear that it is not essentially the disagreements that are issues, it is the kind of words that are used to convey these disagreements. They are words that seem to have aggravated the situation. If you remove those words, then you are dealing with issues that can easily be resolved. So, what we say is that we must not behave in a way that disrespects the status of the Presidency and the status of National Assembly members. People should not use words or languages that tend to inflame passion but rather seek to ameliorate the disagreements.

DT: There seems to be a stalemate in the relationship between the Presidency and the National Assembly. For instance, the Senate said the President must drop Ibrahim Magu as the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) before they can confirm the Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs). Is that not a serious issue?

Oyegun: Let me ask you, is there a statement to that effect or you are drawing a basis for your question on the social media, print media or comments of third parties who were not there? I don’t think there is any statement.

DT: But they said the confirmation of the RECs will be dropped for two weeks?

Oyegun: I can’t speak for the National Assembly. But what I can say is that they will deal with whatever is placed before them by the president. That, I can assure.

DT: What is the party doing to resolve the seemingly intractable wrangling among key party members such as the feud between Governor Umar Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano and his predecessor, Senate Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso?

Oyegun: We are working very much on that. We have a committee working on it. We have enlisted the help of some elders of that state. Kano is important to this party. Kano also has this peculiarity. So, we try to approach it as calmly as possible. If you remember, there have been disagreements prior to this one. The disagreements are not between these two. So, Kano people are very emotive, active and at times contentious. So, it takes patience to calm the situation. We are working on it.

DT: Two warring groups from Bauchi State also came to you. But when they returned to Bauchi, the fighting continued. How far have you gone to reconcile them?

Oyegun: Can you, in your quiet moment, imagine politics without contention? Can you imagine how dull it will look? What is politics? It is struggle for relevance, power and interests, even personal interests however disguised it may be. So, when I’m struggling to actualize my interest, there is no way it won’t greet with somebody else who is also struggling to actualize his interests. What it important is that within the interests, there should be ways of moderating these forces that are at play. That is politics. I’m not talking about Nigerian politics alone. I’m talking of politics worldwide. You can take a look at what is happening in the United States of America today, either what is happening with the Presidency or within the Congress. You can look at the health bill for example. They do not even get to a point where the opposition has to say anything. So, we must recognize that these things are normal and natural. We are not peculiar.

DT: Nigerians are saying that it is like the APC marriage has not been consummated very well. You fought collectively to get the power, don’t you think that the rancor within the party may likely consume it?

Oyegun: No. What happened with the APC has never been attempted in this nation. And it works. But that does not mean that the different powerful groups that coalesced into the APC have given up their individual interests and pursuits. That does not mean that. Indeed, it’s a difficult refereeing to do. But these interests are there. So, what is important is that while the struggle is going on, everybody is gradually finding his proper place within the party. We are only four years away from that great amalgamation. We are not talking of individuals. We are talking of powerful parties in their own rights with representatives at state and national levels that came together. So, don’t think everything will just disappear overnight. So, these interests are still there and we are managing them. What is important is that there is no threat at all that the party will break. Behind all these are parties that merged together. Of course, you have individuals who are very significant in the country politically. There is no question about that. But the party is made up of millions of individuals who merged together. You have to struggle for power - who will have greater ascendancy in the distribution at the federal level. It is something the progressive forces have not had before. So, it is natural that everybody will want to take a bite by taking either the whole share or a substantial piece of it. But their impact continues to weigh with times. New leadership will come up, new situation will develop. In another two years, we will have a totally new situation and reality within the APC. So, don’t be worried about it.

DT: Are you not aware of those planning to form an alliance?

Oyegun: I’m not aware of that. I’m asking you - alliance between who and who? If you are trying to predict the future, say so. But as at today, I don’t know about any alliances of any significant groups that even have two or three members in the National Assembly, one governor, or control two or three local government areas. When you have groups that are grounded and rooted, then we will begin to take notice. Today, there is one group and one reality. That one group is in two massive factions. The rumour on the streets is that one of the factions is likely to metamorphose into a fresh party. We watch every move that is happening in the polity. We will design our own strategies to take care of this situation as they develop and manifest.

DT: Many Nigerians believe that the president is being hijacked by a ‘cabal’ that is trying to frustrate his anti-corruption war. What is your take?

Oyegun: I don’t see much evidence. If there is one thing that Mr President is dedicated to, it is his war against corruption. Let us not forget his fundamental statement that ‘if we do not kill corruption, corruption will kill us’. Nothing can be clearer. He is all out to fight corruption. But the reality is that corruption is powerful, corruption is rich and corruption will fight back. There is no question about that. So, we have these hitches here and there. But what is important is that the direction of Mr President is clear and unambiguous and the whole nation is behind him.

DT: But is he not shielding some people that have marks even though not proven?

Oyegun: Again, you have raised the question not proven. That is a man that is instituting due process, a man I know will not take any nonsense from even his closest aides. So, let us believe in him and what he is doing.

DT: Are you not disturbed about the murmurings within the ranks of the APC as a result of a large vacuum in terms of appointments into boards and parastatals that are still headed by PDP members?

Oyegun: I accept that there are murmurings. But I have every conviction that the appointments will soon be out.

DT: How soon?

Oyegun: In the very shortest possible time, I don’t want to give dates. But I know it will be within the shortest possible time. I can assure you that if anybody is unrepentant and is still having the PDP blood in his veins, these people must be flushed out, no question about that because you have to be a part of this reform movement.

DT: How prepared are you for the forthcoming national convention of your party?

Oyegun: It is going relatively well. We are running short of that and there is no question about that. But as at today, we have no reason to change. In the next week or two, we will be dealing with meetings of the National Executive Committee (NEC) and party caucus. To cap it all is the national convention.

DT: Why do you think the issue of discipline and proposal to downsize the Board of Trustees (BoT) are necessary areas to be amended?

Oyegun: I don’t know if you have read the APC constitution. But in terms of this discipline you are talking about, it is one of the democratic things you can think about. We have so many levels and stages, but the initial process must start at the ward level. Experience has shown us that maybe that takes a little too much time for a point to be made about that. But we are going to stick with the procedures so that justice has to be dispensed or if erring members have to be called to order, it can be done fairly speedily so that the lessons are learnt between commission of the offence and meting out whatever sanctions the constitution provides. So, we are looking at it. As for the BoT, we have two major organs, the caucus which is about a hundred and something and we have NEC which is almost a hundred members. Then, the BoT is probably over 200 members. The thinking is that we should have a leaner BoT and we are working towards taking a decision. The thinking is that there is the need for a party in government to have a top level organ that is lean and contains the major stakeholders in the party but with enough powers to influence things.

DT: How rich is the APC, considering the belief that the rancor within its ranks is because there are no resources for states, local government and even the national headquarters to finance its activities?

Oyegun: Let me put it this way; the clear policy of the APC as the party in government is that we should not stand above the people we are governing. They are groaning because of issues and forces outside their control and I am glad sometimes they too know that the party is groaning because of issues and situations under their control. If you go out and hear the party has N10billion in its account, the ordinary man will ask how, where from? So, the ordinary man appreciates our position and I think that gives them a sense of comfort that the government is not flashing their patrimony on political activities. We have to struggle like every other person to raise funds from members all over the country.

DT: Two members of the National Assembly under the current dispensation have been suspended and both belong to your party. Are you not worried?

Oyegun: The National Assembly is an independent government organ. So, I am not questioning or querying what they have done because it is within their rights. But, of course, as a party, we are looking at the underlying factors. And when we have done that, if there is any reason to advise, we will give such advice to the principal officers.

DT: What then do you expect from Vice President Yemi Osinbajo’s mediation committee between the executive and the legislature?

Oyegun: The Federal Executive Council set up the committee and has given them terms of reference and when they do their work, you will know.

DT: Are you sure of something positive from the committee?

Oyegun: The only people who are not optimistic are dead people. You have to be optimistic in this life. Beyond that, I am sure that what is going on now is in the right direction.

DT: What is the APC doing to ameliorate the suffering of Nigerians who voted for you based on your promises but seem to be losing hope now?

Oyegun: It is simple. I have answered this question precariously, that we inherited a collapsed economy. The oil market also collapsed and the consequences of these are what we are all passing through. We are also witnesses to all the efforts that President Buhari is making to solve the problem, but in the meantime, ameliorating the suffering of the masses. You are aware of the numerous youth employment initiatives under the office of the vice president-the N-Power project, the social intervention project and the rest which are being executed in exemplary, transparent manners. So, the government has been responsive and I am convinced that definitely, the light at the end of the tunnel is in sight. All that is required of Nigerians is their patience and to bear with the administration knowing fully well that this was a problem we didn’t cause, but which we accept as a responsibility of the APC-led government to address.

SOURCE:http://9jabanner..com.ng/2017/04/why-theres-crisis-in-apc-oyegun.html
Re: Why There’s Crisis In APC – Oyegun by Bholexy: 7:01am On Apr 08, 2017
Politics ehn...

Re: Why There’s Crisis In APC – Oyegun by Moferere: 7:37am On Apr 08, 2017
APC

#keepthechange
Re: Why There’s Crisis In APC – Oyegun by omowolewa: 8:22am On Apr 08, 2017
APC needs a Sherif in their camp
Re: Why There’s Crisis In APC – Oyegun by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:32am On Apr 08, 2017
"Politics is struggle for relevance, power and interests, even personal interests however disguised it may be" - John Oyegun.

I completely agree with this statement but I must add that the overall Motivation should be the interest of the country and their aspiration.

2 Likes

Re: Why There’s Crisis In APC – Oyegun by Firefire(m): 11:14am On Apr 08, 2017
After having received the corrupt PDP elements into its camp, APC should be expected to die a natural death after the order of PDP.

RIP PDP, RIP in advance to APC.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Prof James Momoh: 9 Things You Should Know About Buhari's NERC Chair Nominee / Public Disgrace! Oba Of Lagos Publicly Insults Ooni Of Ife / "No Need To Worry Over The President Buhari's Health" - FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.