Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,336 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Dino Melaye's Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks. Yes Or No? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Dino Melaye's Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks. Yes Or No? (750 Views)

Baby Girl's Face Mutilated With Tribal Marks (Photo) / Nigerian Lady With Tribal Marks Almost Committed Suicide (Photos) / Make-Up Free Photo Of Ola Adeyemi, Alaafin Of Oyo's Wife, Shows Her Tribal Marks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dino Melaye's Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks. Yes Or No? by toksdam(m): 1:00pm On Apr 08, 2017
Senator Dino Melaye's Bill to prohibit tribal marks passes second reading in Senate. One of the major reason for promoting this bill is the view that the practice of tribal marks contributes to spreading HIV/AIDS, just as unprotected sex is actually the number 1 means of getting the virus in Nigeria, maybe we should also pass a law to stop sex altogether?
There are historic and cultural underpinning to the tradition of tribal marks in the African context, I am 200% sure that the people in the countryside/villages, i.e. the custodian of traditional values were neither consulted or included in the decision for the formulation is this bill. Another top to bottom enforcement that will fail.
I understand there is a good case to check the spread of HIV; especially as it concern the use of unsterilized tools for making marks and circumcision (male) in the country. However, this is move amounts to cutting off the head because of headache.What we need is to empower and improve on advocacy on the use of sterilized tools amongst practitioners, and provision of facilities/tools to support them for prevention of HIV. Some hospitals at the local health centers still share syringes and needles, so what is this attack on a tribal marks?
This law/bill is therefore poorly thought out and should be thrown out or replaced with a bill dedicate to providing half of the salaries of the senators to improving health care provision among tribal marks practitioners in Nigeria.
Senator Dino Melaye is simply attacking a cultural practice that has been the way of life of the people for ages. Is like the culture of Tattoos, shebi some senators have tattoo? is that not Africa/oyibo tribal marks or a means of spreading HIV?
I am waiting for the day the Senate will debate a bill on how to remove public funds from the hands of politicians, or how to reduce the occurrence of complete treasury looting. KOGI WEST RECALL DINO MALAYE NOW House of Representatives Channels Television Senator Dino Melaye
Re: Dino Melaye's Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks. Yes Or No? by siloXIX(m): 1:14pm On Apr 08, 2017
I am for this bill. I was also in kogi as well. Some tribal marks are beautiful while others are just disgusting
Re: Dino Melaye's Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks. Yes Or No? by toksdam(m): 12:54pm On Apr 09, 2017
toksdam:
Senator Dino Melaye's Bill to prohibit tribal marks passes second reading in Senate. One of the major reason for promoting this bill is the view that the practice of tribal marks contributes to spreading HIV/AIDS, just as unprotected sex is actually the number 1 means of getting the virus in Nigeria, maybe we should also pass a law to stop sex altogether?
There are historic and cultural underpinning to the tradition of tribal marks in the African context, I am 200% sure that the people in the countryside/villages, i.e. the custodian of traditional values were neither consulted or included in the decision for the formulation is this bill. Another top to bottom enforcement that will fail.
I understand there is a good case to check the spread of HIV; especially as it concern the use of unsterilized tools for making marks and circumcision (male) in the country. However, this is move amounts to cutting off the head because of headache.What we need is to empower and improve on advocacy on the use of sterilized tools amongst practitioners, and provision of facilities/tools to support them for prevention of HIV. Some hospitals at the local health centers still share syringes and needles, so what is this attack on a tribal marks?
This law/bill is therefore poorly thought out and should be thrown out or replaced with a bill dedicate to providing half of the salaries of the senators to improving health care provision among tribal marks practitioners in Nigeria.
Senator Dino Melaye is simply attacking a cultural practice that has been the way of life of the people for ages. Is like the culture of Tattoos, shebi some senators have tattoo? is that not Africa/oyibo tribal marks or a means of spreading HIV?
I am waiting for the day the Senate will debate a bill on how to remove public funds from the hands of politicians, or how to reduce the occurrence of complete treasury looting. KOGI WEST RECALL DINO MALAYE NOW House of Representatives Channels Television Senator Dino Melaye

The practice of tribal marks serve a cultural purpose, while some were given at birth, many grew up to get it themselves, if we use a federal legislation to attack a local cultural practice on many years, it will amount to an affront to the way of life of our people. I will rather suggest that the legislation should be towards making it an item of choice and preserving the right of a child to take or reject the tribal mark. But if we go ahead and destroy this practice, there will be nothing to research and understand by 7 generations down the line about how we lived and what could be learnt from the former generation. As at today, the practice is not so popular anymore. we do not cut off the head because of headache, more so the people should consult very widely with the people in the villages. My view is formed from a purely academic point of view. Sustainability is very key to human existence.

1 Like

Re: Dino Melaye's Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks. Yes Or No? by NnamdiKanu(m): 4:18pm On Apr 09, 2017
GMbuharii:
On behalf of the below 'beautiful handsome goodlooking' people,i and tigerclaws,shoottokill,nnamdikanu,midol,justiceleague1,.....say a big NOOOOOOO....

Am back grin... Buhari is mad.. Yoruba's are cowards cheesy

1 Like

Re: Dino Melaye's Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks. Yes Or No? by Busaki: 10:26pm On Apr 12, 2017
toksdam:

The practice of tribal marks serve a cultural purpose, while some were given at birth, many grew up to get it themselves, if we use a federal legislation to attack a local cultural practice on many years, it will amount to an affront to the way of life of our people. I will rather suggest that the legislation should be towards making it an item of choice and preserving the right of a child to take or reject the tribal mark. But if we go ahead and destroy this practice, there will be nothing to research and understand by 7 generations down the line about how we lived and what could be learnt from the former generation. As at today, the practice is not so popular anymore. we do not cut off the head because of headache, more so the people should consult very widely with the people in the villages. My view is formed from a purely academic point of view. Sustainability is very key to human existence.
Well said.

(1) (Reply)

Throwback Photo Of Ooni Of Ife And His Sister During Their National Youth Servic / Men Shouldn't Wear Shoes And Women Scarf During The 2017 Eyo Festival -oba / President Buhari Meets With Emir Of Daura , Katsina State Governor Aminu,others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.