Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,671 members, 7,955,440 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:58 AM

Naija Raps And Thier Concepts - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Naija Raps And Thier Concepts (2010 Views)

Oya Now... OLAMIDE Raps In Local Dialect.... O'shaamo -- Titled - DURO SOKE / Dagrin Vs Olamide: Who Raps Better / 9ice Vs Lord Of Ajasa. who raps Better in yoruba ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by xreal2(m): 9:06pm On Jan 23, 2007
I mean no dissin but it's just d fact n i feel it should be corrected apart from copyin oda
ppl's work, most nigerian rappers rap off point n somtyms d corus's really got nothing to d with the raps, Infact 80% of naija rappers dont make meanin they just rhym words. We've alot of good rappers down here whenever i watch musical presentaions on AIT and odas i always wonder wat it's gonna luk lyk trying to raise to d top coz naija artist are just too many and they all seem to have thier own record labels. Why? simply because they know the labels signing them them on are just trying to do them a favour and at the end they feel they are being cheated or exploited. So the concept now is release ur first album through some1 else's label and then establish ur own with d share of ur proceeds. I think this is bad for the music industry. Secondly, most naija videos are tight when it comes to the graphics and picture quality but thier concepts are always bleeped up. Most naija musical videos has to do with some girl shaking some ass in some club or party. i fil they are 2 xplicit to been shown on national t.v
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by gbadex1(m): 9:20pm On Jan 23, 2007
Incoming!
Incoming!

Radio Alert!

Mode9 groupie alert!!!

Mode9 groupie alert!!!!

Kaydee alert!!!

Chukky alert!!!!

cheesy cheesy tongue
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by gbengaijot(m): 10:36pm On Jan 23, 2007
gbade. x:

Incoming!
Incoming!

Radio Alert!

Mode9 groupie alert!!!

Mode9 groupie alert!!!!

Kaydee alert!!!

Chukky alert!!!!

cheesy cheesy tongue

as if you know i am freaking out here and i am about to squeeze some neck till eyes pop out( ask me when i turned to a big brother housemate, lol)

x-real:

We've alot of good rappers down here whenever i watch musical presentaions on AIT and odas i always wonder what it's going to luk like trying to raise to d top because naija artist are just too many and they all seem to have their own record labels. Why? simply because they know the labels signing them them on are just trying to do them a favour and at the end they feel they are being cheated or exploited. So the concept now is release your first album through someone else's label and then establish your own with d share of your proceeds. I think this is bad for the music industry.

What do you expect?, for them to be subjected to terms and conditions under on stupid label?,
or for some stupid label(like Kennis music) to start collecting commision for shows that they perform at?,
Do you know how many labels in America?, , why should we have low number of labels in Nigeria when we can practically have a 5 man crew label!. It saves time and reduce ego of some big promoters thinking they are the only one good at stuffs!.

x-real:

Secondly, most naija videos are tight when it comes to the graphics and picture quality but their concepts are always bleeped up. Most naija musical videos has to do with some girl shaking some ass in some club or party. i fil they are 2 xplicit to been shown on national t.v

It seems like the law of zamfara has taken the better of you, lol. May i ask you, what made "candy shop" by 50 cents sold million copies?, what made "black sweat" by prince sold millions?, what made "i wanna Bleep u" by akon sold millions?, is it not booty dancing?,

What make guys like beyonce?, is it not booty dancing?,

Wel, seriously, i am not in suport of nudity on TV, but seeing girls dance in a video is not wrong as long as they do it in a mild way, hoever some Nigerian videos are guilty of this.

I will say that Not all Nigerian rappers are wack, mode 9, ruggeddy baba, 2shot, terry the rapman, Francis Dike( I can beat my chest for that guy) stands out, !

so why the heck?
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by gbadex1(m): 12:58am On Jan 24, 2007
Dear Lord!!

At the mention of ruggedy baba, every mode9 groupie voice must rise!! cheesy tongue

mode9 groupies alert!!

mode9 groupies alert!!!
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by mabelly: 1:07pm On Jan 24, 2007
Seriously man im feeling you. But what you dont understand is that we need time hare in naija, One reason why every artist here in naija is owning his own label is cuz hes making progress. Ill tell you that any artistewhos opening a label without its own concept will definitely run down, take p square, fo0r example they now own a label and soon they ll be signing artistes and i be tyou know the kinda people psquare ll sign for artistes? Definitely now whacks, And so on so if all an artiste wants to own a label for is cuz of his own song, give him time he ll run downn.
BRO I TELL YOU NAIJAS GON WITNESS A REVOLUTION IN THE WORLD OF MUSIC ,

COBY 1
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by 2Legit: 7:40pm On Jan 26, 2007
the producers are thieves
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by kaydee(m): 3:47pm On Feb 02, 2007
The truth is that no idea is original,then,the industry's state of mind is real far from Hip-Hop. I hate it when people count Ruggedman as a real MC. Show me the difference between Ruggedman and Rasqie. Look @ Lord of Ajasa,he stands out. Watch out for F-Six.
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by gbadex1(m): 8:24pm On Feb 02, 2007
Bleh! Whether you like it or not, ruggedman is a real mc. Just because he raps in pidgin, he doesn't qualify as an MC? Or because he does party tracks or does it commercial, he's not an MC? Negro please!! That's as shitty as myopic as it sounds.
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by kaydee(m): 10:43pm On Feb 02, 2007
@ Gbade.X
Dude! U don come again! I don't have 2 school U again. Ying Yang Twins them be MCs too abi? OLODO. Who's myopic now? U claim Ruggedman's better than Modenine and u still don't think U myopic. embarassed
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by gbadex1(m): 11:03pm On Feb 02, 2007
you see, it's only a biased person that'd put ruggedman and ying-yang twins in comparison or equate them. You see how myopic that statement was?

Eminem does commercial tracks, does that mean he ain't good and not an Mc?

RunDMC infused rock music and sounds into their rap. Does that make them not Mc?

Let me be blunt, it is one thing to have personal dislikes/hate for an artiste and another thing to respect his work/craft and him for who he is: an Mc.

And you my friend, don't know how to make that distinction and seperate them. You let your prejudicial views about ruggedman get in the way anytime a conversation about him comes up.
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by kaydee(m): 3:37pm On Feb 03, 2007
@ Gbade.X

Just show me one good ish from this guy and i'll be cool with him,till then,i'ma keep takin shots at him. i still don't see what seperates him from Ying-Yang twins now. He ain't better than Rasqie;they on the same level
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by bgees(m): 4:33pm On Feb 03, 2007
true.
but i 'll like to add that most of these rappers dont understand what they do.
the naija hiphop scene is in shambles.
there are no regulatory bodies.
the fans also add to the problm.they all just want to dance.
even the media supports nonsense.

and what the Bleep is PMAN doin.
and to all mode 9 fans,
he is not hiphop
he said hes the non-conformist.
how can u not conform wit the existin principles of ur profession.
if was based in the U.S. he would be in the same class as canibus
in fact hes just like canibus.
and why has no one ever mentioned DOCTOR FRESH.
he is hiphop and he understands it
hes brand of hiphop has identity(some thing mode 9 's lacks)
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by PoDeep(m): 4:48pm On Feb 03, 2007
1.Come,who said yingyang are not real mcs,eh?**lookin around to see if anyone's eavesdroppin on my sh!ttalk**cheesy 2.To be realistic,Ruggedman is not all that good.
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by kaydee(m): 4:57pm On Feb 03, 2007
Abeg!!! Make una help me tell Gbade.X. The bitter truth is that he(Gbade.X) is better than RuggedMan.That's why i keep doubtin him cos U know a lot bout this game and still rep RuggedMan so high.Saucekid,i agree with U but Ruggedman, lailai
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by bgees(m): 5:12pm On Feb 03, 2007
@kaydee
what do u think about doctor fresh?
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by gbadex1(m): 6:07pm On Feb 03, 2007
@kaydee:

i can state a number of good ruggedman songs.

Whether you like it or not, "Ruggedy Baba" was a good song
- "Peace or War" was a good song

- "Baraje" was a good song

- "Big Bros" was a good song

- "congo connection" (or sumth'n like that) was also good.

The truth is, you'll never admit whether they are good songs because of your prejudice.

And like i said , only BIAS can make you compare ruggedman to yingyang twins or rasqie.

@ bgees:
i don't understand what you said about canibus. Pls can you expatiate? Thanks.
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by kaydee(m): 6:16pm On Feb 03, 2007
What's good bout all those songs you mentioned?Heard em all xcept Congo shizzle and nothin than a mediocre effort.
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by gbadex1(m): 7:55pm On Feb 03, 2007
. . . .And thus proving my point. Your prejudice will never allow you see those songs for what they are : good songs.

Listen to these songs with a free mind, one doesn't have to spit punchlines and metaphors to be ill. Various mcs have proven that fact.

Listen.
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by sharetroll(m): 8:28pm On Feb 03, 2007
gbade. x:

. . . .And thus proving my point. Your prejudice will never allow you see those songs for what they are : good songs.

Listen to these songs with a free mind, one doesn't have to spit punchlines and metaphors to be ill. Various mcs have proven that fact.

Listen.

The thing is why would anyone want to 'bust a rhyme" for what purpose? When I see some one do it on the streets the first thing I think is : "WHAT A DUMB ASS"
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by kaydee(m): 10:46pm On Feb 03, 2007
@ Gbade.X

Now i know the reason why ur I.Q remain as low as ur G.P.I already told U i know Freestyle,Eldee,Gino,O.D and F-Six are game.This guy,this is the last time i'll reply ur post.
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by gbadex1(m): 7:54am On Feb 04, 2007
@kaydee:

actually, my IQ remains as sharp as ever. You can count Freestyle, Eldee and Gino as game, yet these are the same people that do commercial tracks and rap in pidgin (with the exception of Gino rapping in pidgin)

See what i mean? No matter how many times ruggedman brings out a good song, you'll always view it as "not good" or "wack" because of your prejudice. Truth is, whether you like it or not, ruggedman is an mc and is ill.

@ sharetroll:

no offence, but judging from your posts, it seems u talk a lotta sh*t just to gain attention.

First of all, when it comes to the Hip-hop culture and rap music, you are absolutely ignorant. My question then is this: how can you talk about what you don't know?
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by gbadex1(m): 7:55am On Feb 04, 2007
@kaydee:

actually, my IQ remains as sharp as ever. You can count Freestyle, Eldee and Gino as game, yet these are the same people that do commercial tracks and rap in pidgin (with the exception of Gino rapping in pidgin)

See what i mean? No matter how many times ruggedman brings out a good song, you'll always view it as "not good" or "wack" because of your prejudice. Truth is, whether you like it or not, ruggedman is an mc and is ill.

@ sharetroll:

no offence, but judging from your posts, it seems u talk a lotta sh*t just to gain attention.

First of all, when it comes to the Hip-hop culture and rap music, you are absolutely ignorant. My question then is this: how can you talk about what you don't know?
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by gbengaijot(m): 9:57am On Feb 04, 2007
and who says ruggedy baba is not a good rapper?,

I beg forget am ooo, where do you want to put "Peace or war"?

What about baraje, ruggeddy baba, and others, i beg no hate oooooo

Ruggeddy baba for life!
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by xreal2(m): 11:45am On Feb 04, 2007
It seems like the law of zamfara has taken the better of you, lol. May i ask you, what made "candy shop" by 50 cents sold million copies?, what made "black sweat" by prince sold millions?, what made "i want to mess u" by akon sold millions?, is it not booty dancing?,
gbengaijot I dont even know where to start from that i rep Za-town does not make me inferior in any way. Hate it or love it the fact's that Hip-hop it's already loosed focuse in Nigeria tell me which part of this country does butty dancing and encourages it. forget about 50's Candy shop am talking about Nigeria not New York. more over parents there control what thier kids watch (why do u think they always include parental advisory on thier cds) Nigerian videos are f***ked
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by kaydee(m): 12:44pm On Feb 04, 2007
gbade. x:

@kaydee:

i can state a number of good ruggedman songs.

Whether you like it or not, "Ruggedy Baba" was a good song
- "Peace or War" was a good song

- "Baraje" was a good song

- "Big Bros" was a good song

- "congo connection" (or sumth'n like that) was also good.

The truth is, you'll never admit whether they are good songs because of your prejudice.

And like i said , only BIAS can make you compare ruggedman to yingyang twins or rasqie.

@ bgees:
i don't understand what you said about canibus. Please can you expatiate? Thanks.
I need U 2 tell me what's good bout all the songs coz i'm goin 2 tell u wat's bad bout em.

RuggedBaba - Apart from the chorus(Thanks to 9ice) All he did is tell U why he's wack now.Claimin he was dope initially but he was never dope.

Peace or war - U're a big disgrace Gbade.X. That song's got more nursery rhymes than my elementary anthology and he was just braggin. what verse can Mechanics and coblers relate to. he speaks for his pocket.

Baraje - Not too bad for a dance track but thanks to the chorus and beat.Dude was talkin bout how he dealt with some rappers in most of the verses.

Big Bros - What did u learn from that?Dissin Keke.Everythin's bout him and no one part from him can relate to dat.

Lately,he's been tellin them girls to shake it on every track.Hmmn! Mechanics and coblers need to dance now.What cha think? grin
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by gbadex1(m): 1:28pm On Feb 04, 2007
@ kaydee:

you know, i'm beginning to think you've got a medical condition called Acute Diaorrhea of the Mouth (A.D.M) a.k.a shit-talker. Can't you construct a simple post without insulting who you're replying especially when that person's views are contrary to yours? Learn some manners, boy!

Now about those songs.

Ruggedy Baba - it was a good song. Hook was very good, thanks to 9ice. His lyrics were meaningful and delivery was top-notch. The song was a response to self-righteous hypocrites like you who are so ready to castigate and accuse him for not being "real" simply because he raps in pidgin and does party/commercial tracks.

Baraje - hook was good. Delivery was tight. Beat was banging, all thanks to Joakim. Overall, it was a good song that made heads bob, even non-Hiphop heads.

Peace or War - Another good response to self-righteous people who think constructive criticism is the same as condemning other artistes. dude pointed out the BS the industry was trying to sweep under the rug, and he got flak.

Big Bros - lol, we all know what tha "f" it is. Keke got his ass dissed the schmuck out. Shows rugged had a lotta guts going against prominent and important industrial figures such as Keke.

It also goes way out to show the dude doesn't give an f who u are or who's ox is gored, THROWS DIRECT DISSES AND IS NOT AFRAID TO NAME NAMES AND BLAMES.
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by bgees(m): 12:46pm On Feb 05, 2007
@ gbade x
to me, canibus's raps were good but they were always out-of line and un-intresting to many people. always rapping like a kid who has seen so many action movies.but he was a good rapper.

the only reason why i lean toward the ruggedman's side is mainly because he did hiphop not just that but he did naija hiphop.
his song ruggedi baba , i must confess really had the right message to pass across. before he came edriss was in top flight, rappin nonsense(do u know he actually recited the letters A-Z in one of us stupid songs. but after he did ehen, many people realised that they had been fooled for a very long time.so thats what ended eedris career.
i still say ur hiphop has to be influenced by ur culture.YES. i know i west coast rap, southern rap and eastcoast rap when i hear it.it dont mean im a genius or so intelligent.
this is why mode 9 ,OD, and others should "nigerialise'' their raps.because no one understands them. d last time mode 9 came to unilag, after d-bang held the mic,modey took it and d crowd left him,boys and girls for that matter.
how would nas sound rappin on some G-FUNK beats. he did it on smokin(stillmatic)and he got his critics salivating all over him.
so i hope d 'ruggedi 'song addresses these issues.

so gbade X. Do u know doctor fresh.
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by bgees(m): 12:48pm On Feb 05, 2007
@ gbade x
to me, canibus's raps were good but they were always out-of line and un-intresting to many people. always rapping like a kid who has seen so many action movies.but he was a good rapper.

the only reason why i lean toward the ruggedman's side is mainly because he did hiphop not just that but he did naija hiphop.
his song ruggedi baba , i must confess really had the right message to pass across. before he came edriss was in top flight, rappin nonsense(do u know he actually recited the letters A-Z in one of us stupid songs. but after he did ehen, many people realised that they had been fooled for a very long time.so thats what ended eedris career.
i still say ur hiphop has to be influenced by ur culture.YES. i know i west coast rap, southern rap and eastcoast rap when i hear it.it dont mean im a genius or so intelligent.
this is why mode 9 ,OD, and others should "nigerialise'' their raps.because no one understands them. d last time mode 9 came to unilag, after d-bang held the mic,modey took it and d crowd left him,boys and girls for that matter.
how would nas sound rappin on some G-FUNK beats. he did it on smokin(stillmatic)and he got his critics salivating all over him.
so i hope d 'ruggedi 'song addresses these issues.

so gbade X. Do u know doctor fresh.
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by gbadex1(m): 4:05pm On Feb 05, 2007
@ bgees:

thanks fo' that input, man. . .

I do know Dr. Fresh. To me, he's one of them few mcs apart from rugged that can spit it tight in pidgin. And he conveniently fits the Nigerian culture into Hiphop culture like a marriage.

About Canibus, i believe one of the reasons people are not receptive to his style is because :

* He has had a bad spate of producers producing his albums

* his lyrics are usually themed around scientific terms and metaphors, and punchlines and to the average person, he's speaking in tongues. Most times, the mainstream are usually myopic in the way they view certain artistes.
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by kaydee(m): 1:43am On Feb 14, 2007
@ Gbade.X

Since U see nothin wrong with those tracks,i got nothin 2 say but feel sorry 4 ya.
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by Ndipe(m): 3:58am On Feb 14, 2007
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-33961.0.html

Almost the same stuff that I posted earlier on this board, that some of our musicians are not creative, but are quick to follow their African American counterparts. I am even reading this for the first time about girls (should not be compared with girls dancing the traditional dances) in rap music in Naija.
Re: Naija Raps And Thier Concepts by Viking: 4:39pm On May 12, 2007
Look Kaydee,why do you hate Ruggedman so much. He was awarded the best hip hop artist in Nigeria and you are here hating him ,beside Ruggedy is the most successful rap artist to come from Nigeria.Nobody is saying that Node9 is not good.I believe that Rugged is not better than mode9 when it comes to flowing rap but it's more about coming out with a rap music not just to flow.Ruggedy always comes out with a track that can carry people along and he soits more in pidgin which makes him the best hip hop artist in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2007 Nairaland Music/radio Awards / Femi Showolu And Momoh Kubanji, On Unity Fm / Mi Fliss Ask What Sort Of 'underwear' Honies Wear In His New Smash Single

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.