Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,781 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

#otodogbame: Where Do The Lagos State Government Get It Wrong? By Eniola Opeyemi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #otodogbame: Where Do The Lagos State Government Get It Wrong? By Eniola Opeyemi (369 Views)

Osinbajo: Who Is Scared Of The Professor? By Eniola Opeyemi / Oto - Awori Lcda: Celebration Of A Grassroots Leader. By Eniola Opeyemi / #otodogbame: Where Do The Lagos State Government Get It Wrong? By Eniola Opeyemi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

#otodogbame: Where Do The Lagos State Government Get It Wrong? By Eniola Opeyemi by Kakaakinews: 6:33pm On Apr 09, 2017
The eviction of the Otodo Gbame residents has sparked up controversies on whether it is right for the Lagos state Government to evict the community that has been in existence for decades. Among many sympathizers, I also feel the pains the community is feeling upon their sack from the environment. Like I felt when I was an undergraduate, three of us stay in a friend's room whose family have a house around the school environment while we are planning to get better hostel space, we appreciate the host for the kind gesture, little did we know that we are close to the shock of our life. On a very sad day, we left for class, upon coming back to take rest, our books and bags have been relocated, the room having a new occupant and we kept blinking our eyes to wake up from our dream. For many weeks we have to take bath in a friend's place and squat in another's place until we got fund to get ours.
My story isn't to paint the whole scenario as awkward but to draw us closer to what the picture really looks like if not worse.

Early before the destruction of the community, the Lagos state government had issued notice to them, which was met by so many protests.

Lagos state in attaining it's mega city status, some rigid decision have to be taken as some will be out-favoured, while others will rejoice as it came to their favour, but is it really right to say the government was wrong on the decision it took?

The government, acknowledged have the best in infrastructures, thanks to the founding fathers, the continuity trend and the sacrifices, recently it built additional resetlement centres to take care of emergencies, which may also act as camp for Internal Displaced persons (IDPs) , but, will we tag the Otodo Gbame community as IDPs?‎

Late last year, this is what the government said about the community, it denied claims of its involvement in the fire incident that took place in Otodo Gbame Community in Lekki area of the State on November 9, 2016.

The State Government specifically refuted media reports suggesting that it authorised the burning down of the community, saying that the allegation was far from the truth.

The Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Steve Ayorinde, in a statement, said the State Government shared in the painful loss of the residents.

Earlier today, Sunday 9th April 2017, there was another report that law enforcement agencies had invaded the community to evict the residents of the community, leaving one allegedly shot dead by policemen. It's so painful but till when will we celebrate illegality? Is the waterfront a government approved area? I doubt it, thus, the controversies surrounding the environment should have led to negotiation to get another site to move to, but as blacks that we are, we would insist on staying there as we did for long.

What I would suggest to the Lagos state government is to compensate the residents who would have lost almost their life earnings to the unfortunate eviction, yet, proper notification will do us a better preparation for the future without erring to the government's directive, especially, when going against the land and properties. Getting a C of O will enable our lands genuine before the law.

I share your pains!

Eniola Opeyemi writes
eniolaopeyemi@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

$1.3bn Malabu Scam: Jonathan May Have Received $200m, Says Report / Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike Says Nigeria Police Is After His Life / Yahaya Bello Dedicates Road 2 Late Lt. Col. Abu Ali,Soldier Killed By Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.