Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:30 AM

Attempted Terror Attack: Yemen Orders Embassy To Stop Issuing Study Visa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Attempted Terror Attack: Yemen Orders Embassy To Stop Issuing Study Visa (949 Views)

Blackwater Withdraws From Yemen After Heavy Defeat By Houthi Shiite Separatists / County Clerk Resigns Instead Of Issuing Gay Marriage Licenses (Photo) / Britain Threatens To Invade Ecuador’s London Embassy To Arrest Wikileaks Founder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Attempted Terror Attack: Yemen Orders Embassy To Stop Issuing Study Visa by AloyEmeka6: 8:32pm On Dec 29, 2009
Attempted terror attack: Yemen orders Embassy to stop issuing study visa

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab accused of trying to attack a U.S. airliner on Christmas day lived in Yemen for two different periods of time, a year from 2004-2005 and from August-December this year, a Yemeni government official said Tuesday.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/dec/29/404.html

Yemen's government said Monday that Abdulmutallab was in Yemen from early August to early December this year after receiving a visa to study Arabic in a school in the capital San'a. Information Minister Hassan al-Lozy said Tuesday he also spent a second period in the country from 2004-2005.

Al-Lozy also disclosed that the Yemeni embassy in Washington is tightening controls on visas for students. The embassy has been instructed not to issue any more visas to students who want to study in the country without Interior Ministry approval.

He said the American government had not provided Yemen with any information about Abdulmutallab to warrant putting him on a watch list.

"We didn't get any notice from the Americans to put this man on a list," al-Lozy said. "America should have told Yemen about this man as they have of others."

Yemen's Foreign Ministry said Monday Abdulmutallab was granted a Yemeni visa after authorities were reassured that he had "several visas from a number of friendly countries." It noted that Abdulmutallab had a valid visa to the United States, which he had visited in the past.

The San'a Institute for the Arabic Language told The Associated Press that Abdulmutallab was an Arabic student at the school in August this year.

Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, which claimed responsibility for the attempted attack on a U.S. airliner bound for Detroit, is led by a Yemeni who was once a close aide to Osama bin Laden.

The group formed in January this year, when leader Naser Abdel Karim al-Wahishi announced a merger between operatives from Saudi Arabia and Yemen.

Al-Wahishi, who goes by the alias Abu Basir, was among 23 al-Qaida figures who escaped from a Yemeni prison in 2006. He is on Saudi Arabia's most wanted list, which includes many militants currently in Yemen.
Re: Attempted Terror Attack: Yemen Orders Embassy To Stop Issuing Study Visa by ElRazur: 10:44am On Dec 30, 2009
Okay? And? Dude thanks for nothing but offer an opinion. If you don't realise, I know how to look for news online. I do not need you to post one just for the sake of it. Simple common sense. smiley
Re: Attempted Terror Attack: Yemen Orders Embassy To Stop Issuing Study Visa by SkyBlue1: 5:42pm On Dec 30, 2009
ElRazur:

Okay? And? Dude thanks for nothing but offer an opinion. If you don't realise, I know how to look for news online. I do not need you to post one just for the sake of it. Simple common sense. smiley

Some people actually come online to get news, expecting this forum to hold what they feel will be the most urgent news which would potentially attract commentary from others; so no need to continue this tirade of yours.
Re: Attempted Terror Attack: Yemen Orders Embassy To Stop Issuing Study Visa by ElRazur: 6:43pm On Dec 30, 2009
Sky Blue:

Some people actually come online to get news, expecting this forum to hold what they feel will be the most urgent news which would potentially attract commentary from others; so no need to continue this tirade of yours.

Please point out such people to me and let's go through their posting style. I have a feeling a pattern will emerge [if such people exist]. I suppose you get your news from the Buka down your road, Or down at Macdonalds? Most likely, you get it from a news source of some kind. Besides, this is a forum for debating. It is useless to post an article without offering an opinion. You know, A LOT of people actually agree with my view point.
Re: Attempted Terror Attack: Yemen Orders Embassy To Stop Issuing Study Visa by SkyBlue1: 2:04am On Dec 31, 2009
ElRazur:

Please point out such people to me and let's go through their posting style. I have a feeling a pattern will emerge [if such people exist]. I suppose you get your news from the Buka down your road, Or down at Macdonalds? Most likely, you get it from a news source of some kind. Besides, this is a forum for debating. It is useless to post an article without offering an opinion. You know, A LOT of people actually agree with my view point.

No offence intended but I am not bothered about who or not agrees with your point of view, I speak for myself. I search for Nigerian news but I wouldn't have actively gone to search to find out that Yemen has ordered its embassy to stop issuing study visas. This is an online forum and the rules are not defined by you. In most cases news articles are enough to instigate debates on their own because guess what, people can think for themselves and have their own opinions. If you didn't have an opinion to post about the issue you didn't really have to. If I had an opinion to post on the issues raised by the article, I would have; the poster posting or not posting his own opinions and me having views of my own are not necessarily mutually exclusive. So what on earth did you want him to say as a comment to the article raised? "This is bad"??

The forum also serves as an information source and I wouldn't have known about this news if the poster hadn't posted it. During the Ekiti rerun elections there were one or two posters who were giving us information on the ground by their postings, keeping the rest of us informed on things happening on ground and a lot of people appreciated it, including me.
Re: Attempted Terror Attack: Yemen Orders Embassy To Stop Issuing Study Visa by ElRazur: 10:59am On Dec 31, 2009
Sky Blue:

No offence intended but I am not bothered about who or not agrees with your point of view, I speak for myself. I search for Nigerian news but I wouldn't have actively gone to search to find out that Yemen has ordered its embassy to stop issuing study visas. This is an online forum and the rules are not defined by you. In most cases news articles are enough to instigate debates on their own because guess what, people can think for themselves and have their own opinions. If you didn't have an opinion to post about the issue you didn't really have to. If I had an opinion to post on the issues raised by the article, I would have; the poster posting or not posting his own opinions and me having views of my own are not necessarily mutually exclusive. So what on earth did you want him to say as a comment to the article raised? "This is bad"??

Dude, I don't know when you started using forums, but posting news link especially when there are existing threads etc are nothing but a waste of bandwidth [Cost money you see] and drags down the quality of debates here. It is very weird to put it mildly, when you come onto a forum to get news, when you can instead go to the source directly.  What if along the lines of copy and paste and things changes and error was included?  It makes no sense to be honest.

My reaction is born out of the continuous nose dive in quality around here. Have a look around, I have raised this issue several times etc. You see, I do not have to "define the rules around here" before taking active action. Your type of mentality is what is plaguing this forum [and to some extent Nigeria].
I am not sure if you heard the saying "Non-sense/bullshi.t/evil flourishes when good men do nothing"? If it gets on your nerves that I am keen on keeping the quality up then so be it.

The forum also serves as an information source and I wouldn't have known about this news if the poster hadn't posted it. During the Ekiti rerun elections there were one or two posters who were giving us information on the ground by their postings, keeping the rest of us informed on things happening on ground and a lot of people appreciated it, including me.

Again I asked you, since when did you started using forum? Primarily, a forum have been about a place where people can share their views, debate intellectually and not just post news link. This is section falls under category of a serious debate and the action of the OP is not in line.
Again I am telling you, if I want to read about news, I have my RSS feeds/readers and bookmarked news sources to turn to.

Look as for the example you painted. It tells a lot about you. If you really know where to look online, you will get your news. Having news delivered via copy and paste method is prone to several errors etc.

I won't keep engaging with you on this. If you don't like my stance, tough. Deal with it. I will continue with telling people who refuse to engage their brain to please do so. You know, we may just have [god forbid] better debate and quality of post around here.
Re: Attempted Terror Attack: Yemen Orders Embassy To Stop Issuing Study Visa by SkyBlue1: 1:37pm On Dec 31, 2009
ElRazur:

Dude, I don't know when you started using forums, but posting news link especially when there are existing threads etc are nothing but a waste of bandwidth [Cost money you see] and drags down the quality of debates here. It is very weird to put it mildly, when you come onto a forum to get news, when you can instead go to the source directly.  What if along the lines of copy and paste and things changes and error was included?  It makes no sense to be honest.

My reaction is born out of the continuous nose dive in quality around here. Have a look around, I have raised this issue several times etc. You see, I do not have to "define the rules around here" before taking active action. Your type of mentality is what is plaguing this forum [and to some extent Nigeria].
I am not sure if you heard the saying "Non-sense/bullshi.t/evil flourishes when good men do nothing"? If it gets on your nerves that I am keen on keeping the quality up then so be it.

Again I asked you, since when did you started using forum? Primarily, a forum have been about a place where people can share their views, debate intellectually and not just post news link. This is section falls under category of a serious debate and the action of the OP is not in line.
Again I am telling you, if I want to read about news, I have my RSS feeds/readers and bookmarked news sources to turn to.

Look as for the example you painted. It tells a lot about you. If you really know where to look online, you will get your news. Having news delivered via copy and paste method is prone to several errors etc.

I won't keep engaging with you on this. If you don't like my stance, tough. Deal with it. I will continue with telling people who refuse to engage their brain to please do so. You know, we may just have [god forbid] better debate and quality of post around here.

Amusing. Don't take offence, but your stance is inconsequential to me so I don't even need to "deal with it" to begin with, you are free to do what you want for all I care. I was simply pointing out that a lot of the times a news article is enough to spur debates. Would rather have him just post the article than him posting and following it with a lame attempt at being insightful like - "this is bad news". If people had an opinion about it they would post, and if they didn't they wouldn't. Have a nice day smiley.
Re: Attempted Terror Attack: Yemen Orders Embassy To Stop Issuing Study Visa by sleekp1: 3:18pm On Dec 31, 2009
What is any one going to Yemen for?
I never knew Yemen was a country until this week. When I heard Yemen I thought it was Rasta country in the West Indies,kini Yemen or Yea mon. Bombonclat!!
Re: Attempted Terror Attack: Yemen Orders Embassy To Stop Issuing Study Visa by ElRazur: 4:48pm On Dec 31, 2009
Sky Blue:

Amusing. Don't take offence, but your stance is inconsequential to me so I don't even need to "deal with it" to begin with, you are free to do what you want for all I care. I was simply pointing out that a lot of the times a news article is enough to spur debates. Would rather have him just post the article than him posting and following it with a lame attempt at being insightful like - "this is bad news". If people had an opinion about it they would post, and if they didn't they wouldn't. Have a nice day  smiley.

Judging by your mentality, here is a breaking news for you. [see link below] I am sure you subscribe to dimwitted hearsay as this, instead of proper news. Please enjoy.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-70646.0.html

PS
Have a nice day too.  smiley

sleek_p:

What is any one going to Yemen for?
I never knew Yemen was a country until this week. When I heard Yemen I thought it was Rasta country in the West Indies,kini Yemen or Yea mon. Bombonclat!!

I think you may want to look up on the country. It is well known.
Re: Attempted Terror Attack: Yemen Orders Embassy To Stop Issuing Study Visa by SkyBlue1: 4:59pm On Dec 31, 2009
ElRazur:

Judging by your mentality, here is a breaking news for you. [see link below] I am sure you subscribe to dimwitted hearsay as this, instead of proper news. Please enjoy.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-70646.0.html

PS
Have a nice day too.  smiley

I think you may want to look up on the country. It is well known.

A tad disappointing, I genuinely thought you to be above such obstreperous behaviour. Here is the difference between the thread you refer to and this; one has a verifiable news source link provided and the other doesn't. I really shouldn't have wasted my time. . . . . you are more concerned about saving face and "winning" an arguement than having any meaningful discourse. You can continue the dialogue with yourself, I am not interested.
Re: Attempted Terror Attack: Yemen Orders Embassy To Stop Issuing Study Visa by ElRazur: 5:08pm On Dec 31, 2009
Sky Blue:

A tad disappointing, I genuinely thought you to be above such obstreperous behaviour. Here is the difference between the link you provided and the one above; one has a verifiable news source link provided and the other doesn't. I really shouldn't have wasted my time. . . . . you are more concerned about saving face and "winning" an arguement than having any meaningful discourse. You can continue the dialogue with yourself, I am not interested.

I do not believe in winning, I do however like to beat people like you down with your own bulls.hit logic. The overall picture of what I have said all along was once again shown in that thread, I brought it to your attention as you appear to not seen any of the points I raised. Besides, you take your news source from forums, so I did the right thing and gave you one.

Anyway, It takes two to tango, if you are taking your ball home, then that is fine by me. smiley
Re: Attempted Terror Attack: Yemen Orders Embassy To Stop Issuing Study Visa by rasmur5: 11:45pm On Jan 02, 2010
Skyblue

I see where you're coming from and agree with you.

I read a lot of articles in the politics section that I would otherwise not have heard about and sometimes the articles are a lot more engaging than some of the discourse/debates/abuse between members supposedly discussing.
Re: Attempted Terror Attack: Yemen Orders Embassy To Stop Issuing Study Visa by Nobody: 3:58am On Jan 03, 2010
LMAO grin grin grin grin This is bad news for the North o grin

(1) (Reply)

Fortune - Gazprom World’s Most Profitable Company / Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah Dies Aged 90 Following Battle With Pneumonia / Syria Conflict: Russia Air Strikes 'killed 200 Civilians'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.