Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,653 members, 7,820,273 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? (12904 Views)

What Does It Mean To Fake Accent? - A Different Perspective / Do You Have An Accent? / The Best African Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by r231(m): 12:30pm On Dec 30, 2009
lol ;d ;d ;d
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by sayso: 12:31pm On Dec 30, 2009
@poster which accent are yop talking about,is it American,English,hausa,spanish, or jibuti?even yoruba and Igbo join.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Dec 30, 2009
@OP

what do u mean by 'forming'? undecided
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by harakiri(m): 12:46pm On Dec 30, 2009
The one i don't understand are these :

Yes is now YELS
fork is now FERK
Fufu is now FOO FOO

@Seun

Why have i lost my posting privileges angry?This is mccloud224
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by Orikinla(m): 12:50pm On Dec 30, 2009
Poster,
Inferiority Complex is very common among most of the Nigerian girls and in most cases it is really their fault, because HYPOCRISY is now a national toga.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by DOAweb(m): 12:55pm On Dec 30, 2009
grin grin grin

Everybody forms - some just do it better than the others. SIMPLES!!
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by semid4lyfe(m): 1:03pm On Dec 30, 2009
Osuofia in London- Rewind
Damn it!! I hate been angry cos when I get angry, I lose the British accent I worked so hard to acquire and my Nigerian accent comes out.

If una wan hear fake accents, make una enter UNIPORT and UNILAG. Dem boku there die. Na those places be the breeding grounds. Even when the babes wan buy suya from Aboki, dem go still dey form accent. Very annoying IMO.

ravenzord:

@ Poster: LMAO! U're complaining about girls in the west? Then you should come to the East,that's where you'll hear a fakeas.s Yanks accent superimposed on a conc Igbo accent. You call a girl and she goes: 'Yois? Ah wuz lak,ah yuh talking tah me? Cos Am lak,very beusy raht now, Ah doesn't wanna miss mah flaght' (This coming from a girl who doesn't know what a plane looks like)

Then of course,there's the females who aren't faking the accent but can't even tone it down for a razz brother,girls like Ibk, I remember when I tried listening to her recordings on the 'Oral Haven' thread,couldn't hear excreta'

Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by harakiri(m): 1:09pm On Dec 30, 2009
@ravenzord

Don't forget these,

I wanna go dia
I ganna tell you
I drink warra
I am burifull
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by londoner: 1:17pm On Dec 30, 2009
Nigerian MEN hold the title on fake accents. Even growing up in London we used to call them JaFAKEans, when they put on a fake Jamaican accent. The girls do it now, but its far less common with them. They do the same thing in Ghana, especially the girls.

its an inferiority complex, they obviously are ashamed of their accent. Its an African thing to prefer everything which is foreign over your own.

I love the way Nigerian men start something, it catches on, then it completely becomes the creation of the Nigerian women in their minds.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by mrperfect(m): 1:18pm On Dec 30, 2009
How about me that just arrived from Okonde
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by semid4lyfe(m): 1:27pm On Dec 30, 2009
londoner:

Nigerian MEN hold the title on fake accents. Even growing up in London we used to call them JaFAKEans, when they put on a fake Jamaican accent. The girls do it now, but its far less common with them. They do the same thing in Ghana, especially the girls.

its an inferiority complex, they obviously are ashamed of their accent. Its an African thing to prefer everything which is foreign over your own.

I love the way Nigerian men start something, it catches on, then it completely becomes the creation of the Nigerian women in their minds.
Duh! The truth is the girls fake accents more than the men. Wetin man need na just 'kudi' to impress babes but been fine isn't enough for the average 9ja chic. She gats carry accent join too.'
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by harakiri(m): 1:31pm On Dec 30, 2009
londoner:

English is a foreign language to Africans.Don't blame them if they try to blend in.You grew in london right?Imagine competing with an ijaw girl when it comes to speaking pidgin english. . .you'd be soooo off key.Same thing with Oyibo man trying to speak Hausa lipsrsealed

D one wey me no understand na when chicks dey replace "YELS" as YES.Na dat one dey in vogue now.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by sweetmum(f): 1:35pm On Dec 30, 2009
@ POSTER
do u have a problem with that?
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by kushe: 1:39pm On Dec 30, 2009
a little education,accents are developed during formative years and are easily influenced by the environment right through the teen years.that is why we have accents of where we grew up e.g a yoruba girl having the ibo accent cos her dad lived in aba or enugu .

there is usually a cut off point after which your accent can only change with only a little alteration to your phonation.this usually happens early to mid twenties therefore most nigerians that start speaking 'fonee' mid twenties cos they hav now done masters in jand or yankee have a very fake accent you can hardly place.however those that came here mid teens like after secondary school can still develop the prevailing accent of their environment like if they go to college for a levels and work.

for those in nigeria with the accent,lets just call it the altered naija accent cos you hear all sorts in one conversation.it amazes me when someone who has never lived in america throws in a little brooklyn with the h factor british accent.'wanna get a glass of wahaa?  NAIJA.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by londoner: 1:43pm On Dec 30, 2009
Nigerian men/boys started it years ago, its only now a few girls are joining in. The men have a reputation for it, ask anyone they will tell you, this started years ago.

@harakiri, English is not a foreign language to Nigerians, its their NATIONAL LANGUAGE. Not only do many mispronounce, they also misspell. Unless a person grew up in the village, they begin to be taught English at the same time in life as those born in England.

I would not compete with an Ijaw girl speaking pidgin, I already have my own way of speaking, and if I ever did speak pidgin, I would learn it properly instead of reinventing the whole language, lol

The funny thing is, most of these people have never even been to the US or Jamaica, so they just make the accent up, really juvenile, lol
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by kushe: 1:50pm On Dec 30, 2009
in jand or yankee you can have tonnes of accents in a particular area depending on where you grew up. e.g new york has the bronx accent  different from brooklyn while the east london accent is different from west london and a basic ingredient of accents is the use of slags to shorten conversation.

you cant speak mid western,southern,british cockney and south african all together.unfortunately that is what most nigerians do and eventho some of us can pick accents even when they whisper ,we still love our naija chicks shaaaa.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by Akanniade(m): 1:54pm On Dec 30, 2009
U cant blame them.  It starts from the movies, africa magic, tv musicals up to the campus. Ladies generally have a compulsive need to be appreciated its in their genes, they cant help it.

As for guys that do it. The guy is probably huzzling in europe or america or its one those annoying guys that wud have been better of as ladies.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by Akanniade(m): 1:54pm On Dec 30, 2009
U cant blame them.  It starts from the movies, africa magic, tv musicals up to the campus. Ladies generally have a compulsive need to be appreciated its in their genes, they cant help it.

As for guys that do it. The guy is probably huzzling in europe or america or its one those annoying guys that wud have been better of as ladies.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by harakiri(m): 1:57pm On Dec 30, 2009
I speak all "accents" including Australian but i prefer my home grown 9ja accent anyday.

@Seun

Dis na mccloud224 .When am i getting my posting privileges back?
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by chocomillo(f): 2:09pm On Dec 30, 2009
I do believe people are judged very much on their accents. Just as if u were applying 4 an upscale job and you had a local accent,i doubt anyone would want to hire you especially if it deals with a lot of phone type work.The way you speak is also how you sound educated not just your big grammar.So let the babes fake it,if they can smiley
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by lovemoi2(f): 2:12pm On Dec 30, 2009
form?
anyhoo, i dint know it was just a girl thing to change one's accent

wow naija girls are in troble oh

naija girl this naija girl that
damn
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by bisiaet: 2:17pm On Dec 30, 2009
Complexity and lack of originality!!!!!!
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by harakiri(m): 2:19pm On Dec 30, 2009
@chocomillo

Thank you jare.Abi una no notice say Glo,MTN and Zain dey use "sweet voiced" Nigerians with "phonetic" credentials?Radio presenters nko?Those ones for 93.7 and Cool fm dey try but when they get excited, their REAl ACCENT comes out.One of the girls on Cool fm sounds like an Aboki.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by ochukoccna: 2:28pm On Dec 30, 2009
@ POST
Inferiority complex!
Have a brother who's spent close to 15 years in the states and his accent -both english and local dialect- is still like he never left @ all.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by violent(m): 2:53pm On Dec 30, 2009
What i consider really ridiculous is when a Naija brother travels to China, Greece, Germany or some non English countries and still come back home to form American accent, its totally ridiculous
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by jcob1: 2:56pm On Dec 30, 2009
wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink grin you self form ur accent.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by lawrence83: 2:59pm On Dec 30, 2009
@ravenzord
Bwahahahahahahah

@poster,
they all wanna feel among,
Even some guys does it more
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by Megadeals: 3:10pm On Dec 30, 2009
chocomillo:

I do believe people are judged very much on their accents. Just as if u were applying 4 an upscale job and you had a local accent,i doubt anyone would want to hire you especially if it deals with a lot of phone type work.The way you speak is also how you sound educated not just your big grammar.So let the babes fake it,if they can smiley

How come Okonjo Iweala does't have a fake accent? She's the Managing Director of the World Bank.
Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, all these people doesn't speak with phoney accents.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by kokoye(m): 3:14pm On Dec 30, 2009
If you are in the business of talking and you work with foreigners who speak with an accent different from yours, it is either you are able to communicate efficiently with people or you get fired. In the process of trying to do this, your pronounciations will definately begin to change after a while, regardless of how old you are (although it might be tougher for older folks).  Now imagine being in this kinda job for several years, yes, you may start talking with an accent that might be not as perfect as the indigenes'.   So then when you return to ur native country after sevral years, people tend to think you are posing and that is why most people choose to speak yoruba / igbo so as not to hear some of the rubbish being rolled out here.

But if you are in a foreign land and ur job has little or no interaction with other people, then ur dictations might not change.

Now the people who lived in naija all their lives watch movies and of course wannt to talk like their favorites actors in the western world. And when we think about it, dont we all in one way or another ??

Whether you choose to accept it or not, we all tend to present ourselves in a positive way - a way the listener will be able to easily understand and appreciate.

I dont hear you complain about Paul Adefarasin - he talks that way to expand his crowd.

Haters.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by semid4lyfe(m): 3:24pm On Dec 30, 2009
kokoye:

If you are in the business of talking and you work with foreigners who speak with an accent different from yours, it is either you are able to communicate efficiently with people or you get fired. In the process of trying to do this, your pronounciations will definately begin to change after a while, regardless of how old you are (although it might be tougher for older folks).  Now imagine being in this kinda job for several years, yes, you may start talking with an accent that might be not as perfect as the indigenes'.   So then when you return to your native country after sevral years, people tend to think you are posing and that is why most people choose to speak yoruba / igbo so as not to hear some of the rubbish being rolled out here.

But if you are in a foreign land and your job has little or no interaction with other people, then your dictations might not change.

Now the people who lived in naija all their lives watch movies and of course wannt to talk like their favorites actors in the western world. And when we think about it, dont we all in one way or another ??

Whether you choose to accept it or not, we all tend to present ourselves in a positive way - a way the listener will be able to easily understand and appreciate.

I dont hear you complain about Paul Adefarasin - he talks that way to expand his crowd.

Haters.
Guy, you don chop?
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by omega25red(m): 3:29pm On Dec 30, 2009
@ ravenzord

whats this "oral haven" thread you speak of i missed that one
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by londoner: 3:29pm On Dec 30, 2009
Lol, we are not talking about people on the job, we are talking about people just faking an accent because they feel it superior to their own. We are also not talking about people who have an accent which is naturally aquired. You have no business talking in an American accent when the closest you have been to the States is Maryland in LAGOS.

A person may speak pidgin with his friends, but on the job speak the standard English which he was taught/knows, that is different, that is just about appropriateness and some people have more than one accent. The cockney accent will change simply when the person decides to pronounce words correctly and slowly.

I just cant take people seriously who fake the funk out of nowhere. I would never give a man the time of day if he does that. I remember one Nigerian boy trying to talk in a Jamaican accent, I just told him he sounds silly, besides they dont even talk like that, ITS A TURN OFF, he didn't know I was of Nigerian parentage/background. So I guess it was supposed to impress me, lol

I like Africans who are proud of who they are, not fake people who are ashamed to show the world what is theirs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obijackson Foundation Rejuvenates Igbo Culture With Face Of Okija / Iwa Akwa Festival: / The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.