Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,030 members, 7,810,836 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

#bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati (878 Views)

2019: Atiku Vs. Buhari, By Reuben Abati / Reuben Abati Trolls Governor Rochas Okorocha On IG (photo) / Who Is The Presidency? –Reuben Abati (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

#bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by Chizgold: 6:58am On Apr 11, 2017
What a relief! So, the Big Brother Naija reality television programme is finally over. It ended Sunday evening with 23-year old Efe Michael Ejemba, University of Jos graduate of Economics and singer winning the N25 million including a Sport utility vehicle at stake, with 57.6% of the votes from over 24 million voters across Africa. Warri, where Efe’s family lives, erupted in excitement. At the Multichoice viewing centre in Ikeja, Lagos, where Katung Aduwak took charge so brilliantly, there was a similar eruption of incandescent joy. I was relieved because for about 70 days, the Big Brother Naija show was a big distraction, crass capitalism at its most cynical edge, a source of unmanageable madness in homes and on the streets. Now that it is over, it is time for some honest frank talk for the attention of all stakeholders involved.

Let me start with the lessons, on a positive note, before delivering the blows. Lesson one: In a very instructive manner, the Big Brother Naija reality television show promoted the ideas of choice and people power at the heart of democracy. Televised across Africa, the viewers had the final say in determining who stayed in the house or left during eviction moments on Sundays. The votes were collated, audited and confirmed by Deloitte, a firm of auditors and thus, the viewer as the voter determined the outcomes. In that regard, a reality show of that sort promoted a consciousness of democracy, choice and influence and it further explained why the people from Nigeria to Cape Agulhas all the way up to the Mediterranean sea took fierce ownership of the programme. In a continent where power is the ultimate aphrodisiac and every access to power, fame and influence is seen as an opportunity to oppress and demean, whatever is done to promote a consciousness of choice and the civil society is laudable. Multichoice, thanks.

Lesson Two: in every business concept, perseverance pays. Multichoice has been running its Big Brother Naija and Big Brother Africa concepts for a number of years. Apparently, this year’s Big Brother Naija has been the most impactful, the most profitable and probably also, the most exciting. In one week, over 11 million persons voted to determine the eviction. In the final week of the programme, over 24 million persons voted – that is more than the total number of persons who voted in the Nigerian Presidential election in 2015. This year, Multichoice has made more money from the Big Brother franchise than it has ever done. The programme was sponsored by PayPorte, and with all the voting, and the money spent on recharge cards, Big Brother and Multichoice are the biggest winners. In the end, it is all about business and profit. Everybody has been used. In business, once you have a good, attractive product and you can capture the market, you can fool everybody and make profit. Multichoice, weh done – in Falz, the bad guy’s voice.

Lesson three: humility pays. At the end of the day, in the last week of the programme, the decision by the viewing public was a moral, sentimental one. The biggest star of the programme was, I don’t know what you think, TBOSS (real name: Tokunbo Idowu), half Nigerian, half-Romanian. She dominated the space with her Jezebelic antics, even got some of the male participants ousted by entrapping and outsmarting them with her sexual wiles. She projected herself as a sex object, the ultimate manipulator, the champion Delilah of the Big Brother Africa series. She even made a joke of the entire Big Brother concept by saying she didn’t need the money and if she won, she would spend it in two weeks to pay off debts, and in any case, she had men hitting on her, offering to take her on a ride in their private jets. She played the role of a female barracuda.

Given her looks and talents, she would have been a perfect winner. She would have looked good on the billboards. But she lost because of her arrogance. Attitude is everything: this is the lesson of TBOSS’s disgrace and humiliation. When she was sent out of the House as the second runner up, the viewing centre in Ikeja, Lagos, including Kemen whose nemesis she was, danced in joy. “They are taunting me?” she asked Ebuka, the anchor. No, sweetheart, they were making a far more serious statement about you. The melodramatic ending of Big Brother Naija 2017 is its only redeeming outcome. Bisola, the first runner up does not even have a degree but she showed talent and resolve, even if her whorish flirtation with Thin Tall Tony is so cheap and self-denigrating. Her One-Nigeria consolation prize is something big she should take seriously.

Efe won because of his humility. He is considered the poorest and the most needy of the contestants. Patrons of the programme chose to vote for the contestant who looked and sounded like he would need the money and the opportunity. They gave him a chance in life, although the organizers must ensure that going forward, the show does not become a poverty alleviation scheme. Bisola came second because she too looked like she needed help. Debbie Rise and Marvis also made the finals, but that was meant to be a great compliment to their good conduct, but they didn’t have enough support to make it to the top. TBOSS is the main star who lost. I hope she was taken out of South Africa with a private jet or maybe a submarine! Beauty is not everything, baby.

Lesson four: Marketing helps. Branding is everything. Propaganda is profitable. Packaging is nice. Big Brother Naija is nothing but marketing, branding, propaganda, and packaging. A reality show is supposed to be nothing but reality, virtual reality as it happens, but let no one deceive you, everything that happened in the 70 days of BBNaija was packaged, marketed, carefully branded and manipulated. Ebuka, the Big Brother, thumbs up, the scenic designers, kudos, the content developers, three hearty cheers, Multichoice, you guys are the smartest capitalists around, well done! The finale was a...

READ MORE: http://ikengachronicles.com/bbnaija-television-as-madness-reuben-abati/

Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by SweetJoystick(m): 7:17am On Apr 11, 2017
There were 24 million votes doesn't mean 24 million people voted. People voted multiple times. Also the 24 milion votes didn't come from Nigeria alone Mr. Abati. Aside the votes issue, every other thing in the right up Is on point.

1 Like

Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by xtianh(m): 7:23am On Apr 11, 2017
K
Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by sarrki(m): 7:25am On Apr 11, 2017
Abati mechonu

No work for you

You have lost it
Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by ITbomb(m): 7:25am On Apr 11, 2017
SweetJoystick:
There were 24 million votes doesn't mean 24 million people voted. People voted multiple times. Also the 24 milion votes didn't come from Nigeria alone Mr. Abati. Aside the votes issue, every other thing in the right up Is on point.
So Nigerian votes nkor, you think say all the votes na from individuals?
Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by babyfaceafrica: 7:29am On Apr 11, 2017
On point...the programme na wash..only the gullible are cajoled
Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by SweetJoystick(m): 7:38am On Apr 11, 2017
ITbomb:

So Nigerian votes nkor, you think say all the votes na from individuals?
It is left for BB/Deloitte to release data for votes which originated from Nigeria
Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by greatgod2012(f): 7:47am On Apr 11, 2017
sarrki:
Abati mechonu

No work for you

You have lost it

If he's in APC now, you won't attack him the way you just did!

Stop attacking personalities, he's right!

Good morning!
Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by sarrki(m): 8:07am On Apr 11, 2017
greatgod2012:

If he's in APC now, you won't attack him the way you just did!

Stop attacking personalities, he's right!

Good morning!

Sis please check my post very well

I am not attached to any political party

I am a patriot

I attacked any party that is going awry

Why my criticism for pdp is much is they ruled for 16 uninterrupted years.

1 Like

Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by freeze001(f): 8:08am On Apr 11, 2017
I implore readers to take d pain of reading the entire article, it really spells out how much of the 'Giant of Africa' we are not!
Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by 1Rebel: 8:19am On Apr 11, 2017
When I see how nigerians spend so much time watching the show and disturbing social media, i feel no pity for them whatsoever. Na buhari fit una.
Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by Funlordmaniac(m): 8:27am On Apr 11, 2017
Abati sounds pained!
Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by fergie001: 9:21am On Apr 11, 2017
I didn't read your thrash,u know y?
U failed when it mattered most,
But the falling of the yellow leaves is a sign to the green ones that it will soon be their turn.
U never learnt from Remi Oyo,From Olu Adeniyi,
So u worth no farthing,that's fact.

PS:Adeshina is following steadily in your footsteps and we are steadily applauding him now,but come someday he will be thrown in the dustbin of history.

Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by merit455(m): 10:11am On Apr 11, 2017
sarrki:
Abati mechonu

No work for you

You have lost it

what's this fool saying
Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by ManofGod2017: 10:47am On Apr 11, 2017
Chizgold:
What a relief! So, the Big Brother Naija reality television programme is finally over. It ended Sunday evening with 23-year old Efe Michael Ejemba, University of Jos graduate of Economics and singer winning the N25 million including a Sport utility vehicle at stake, with 57.6% of the votes from over 24 million voters across Africa. Warri, where Efe’s family lives, erupted in excitement. At the Multichoice viewing centre in Ikeja, Lagos, where Katung Aduwak took charge so brilliantly, there was a similar eruption of incandescent joy. I was relieved because for about 70 days, the Big Brother Naija show was a big distraction, crass capitalism at its most cynical edge, a source of unmanageable madness in homes and on the streets. Now that it is over, it is time for some honest frank talk for the attention of all stakeholders involved.

Let me start with the lessons, on a positive note, before delivering the blows. Lesson one: In a very instructive manner, the Big Brother Naija reality television show promoted the ideas of choice and people power at the heart of democracy. Televised across Africa, the viewers had the final say in determining who stayed in the house or left during eviction moments on Sundays. The votes were collated, audited and confirmed by Deloitte, a firm of auditors and thus, the viewer as the voter determined the outcomes. In that regard, a reality show of that sort promoted a consciousness of democracy, choice and influence and it further explained why the people from Nigeria to Cape Agulhas all the way up to the Mediterranean sea took fierce ownership of the programme. In a continent where power is the ultimate aphrodisiac and every access to power, fame and influence is seen as an opportunity to oppress and demean, whatever is done to promote a consciousness of choice and the civil society is laudable. Multichoice, thanks.

Lesson Two: in every business concept, perseverance pays. Multichoice has been running its Big Brother Naija and Big Brother Africa concepts for a number of years. Apparently, this year’s Big Brother Naija has been the most impactful, the most profitable and probably also, the most exciting. In one week, over 11 million persons voted to determine the eviction. In the final week of the programme, over 24 million persons voted – that is more than the total number of persons who voted in the Nigerian Presidential election in 2015. This year, Multichoice has made more money from the Big Brother franchise than it has ever done. The programme was sponsored by PayPorte, and with all the voting, and the money spent on recharge cards, Big Brother and Multichoice are the biggest winners. In the end, it is all about business and profit. Everybody has been used. In business, once you have a good, attractive product and you can capture the market, you can fool everybody and make profit. Multichoice, weh done – in Falz, the bad guy’s voice.

Lesson three: humility pays. At the end of the day, in the last week of the programme, the decision by the viewing public was a moral, sentimental one. The biggest star of the programme was, I don’t know what you think, TBOSS (real name: Tokunbo Idowu), half Nigerian, half-Romanian. She dominated the space with her Jezebelic antics, even got some of the male participants ousted by entrapping and outsmarting them with her sexual wiles. She projected herself as a sex object, the ultimate manipulator, the champion Delilah of the Big Brother Africa series. She even made a joke of the entire Big Brother concept by saying she didn’t need the money and if she won, she would spend it in two weeks to pay off debts, and in any case, she had men hitting on her, offering to take her on a ride in their private jets. She played the role of a female barracuda.

Given her looks and talents, she would have been a perfect winner. She would have looked good on the billboards. But she lost because of her arrogance. Attitude is everything: this is the lesson of TBOSS’s disgrace and humiliation. When she was sent out of the House as the second runner up, the viewing centre in Ikeja, Lagos, including Kemen whose nemesis she was, danced in joy. “They are taunting me?” she asked Ebuka, the anchor. No, sweetheart, they were making a far more serious statement about you. The melodramatic ending of Big Brother Naija 2017 is its only redeeming outcome. Bisola, the first runner up does not even have a degree but she showed talent and resolve, even if her whorish flirtation with Thin Tall Tony is so cheap and self-denigrating. Her One-Nigeria consolation prize is something big she should take seriously.

Efe won because of his humility. He is considered the poorest and the most needy of the contestants. Patrons of the programme chose to vote for the contestant who looked and sounded like he would need the money and the opportunity. They gave him a chance in life, although the organizers must ensure that going forward, the show does not become a poverty alleviation scheme. Bisola came second because she too looked like she needed help. Debbie Rise and Marvis also made the finals, but that was meant to be a great compliment to their good conduct, but they didn’t have enough support to make it to the top. TBOSS is the main star who lost. I hope she was taken out of South Africa with a private jet or maybe a submarine! Beauty is not everything, baby.

Lesson four: Marketing helps. Branding is everything. Propaganda is profitable. Packaging is nice. Big Brother Naija is nothing but marketing, branding, propaganda, and packaging. A reality show is supposed to be nothing but reality, virtual reality as it happens, but let no one deceive you, everything that happened in the 70 days of BBNaija was packaged, marketed, carefully branded and manipulated. Ebuka, the Big Brother, thumbs up, the scenic designers, kudos, the content developers, three hearty cheers, Multichoice, you guys are the smartest capitalists around, well done! The finale was a...

READ MORE: http://ikengachronicles.com/bbnaija-television-as-madness-reuben-abati/

All I know is that no matter how much is won or expression of freedom is displayed, BB naija is a good promotion of immoral lives
Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by EazyMoh(m): 10:54am On Apr 11, 2017
I never knew this Efw was actually a man, I thought he was a lady.
Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by tinkinjow: 11:47am On Apr 11, 2017
This idea of quoting the numbers of votes to represent numbers of persons clearly shows how a lot of people approach issues. Millions voted multiple times please.

This write up is however better than the nonsense some blokes bn spilling. You hear them talk as if to dictate to the public what it should watch or not on tv. The most annoying are the ones who say oh it only goes to save another country's economy...na today!...these same blokes fight real fight cos of Chelsea and Man U. They even forget the very Dstv the pay for still is a foreign company. If govt were to ban same na them go cry most...This bbnaija thing don really made me hear a lot people forming the Public reminder. Only that most is rooted in hypocrisy.
Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by sarrki(m): 11:50am On Apr 11, 2017
merit455:
what's this fool saying

You are lucky that I don't like reporting people to

Egbon myndd44
Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by ephi123(f): 1:19pm On Apr 11, 2017
sarrki:

Sis please check my post very well

I am not attached to any political party

I am a patriot

I attacked any party that is going awry

Why my criticism for pdp is much is they ruled for 16 uninterrupted years.

This is officially the lie of the day.

1 Like

Re: #bbnaija: Television As Madness-reuben Abati by IVORY2009(m): 1:22pm On Apr 11, 2017
Ruben Abati is a great writer, wat an analysis!

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria's React As Buhari Congratulate Turkey On Referendum / Prime Min. Of Israel Netayahu Recognition Of Biafra Genocide Is A Game Changer / BUHARI IS HALE & HEALTHY, MAY 29th SHALL TELL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.