Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,752 members, 7,831,416 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:23 PM

Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money (12574 Views)

In Need Of Novels By Nigerian Authors / I Read In The Bathroom - Dami Ajayi, Author Of A Woman's Body Is A Country / Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by CarlosTheJackal: 11:44am On Apr 11, 2017
nmreports:

You don't like it or what?.
I don't
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Nobody: 11:47am On Apr 11, 2017
ZarZar:

I never read her books. I only know her for being an Aquarius lol. What books of hers can you recommend?
-THE VIRUE OF SELFISHNESS
-ATLAS SHRUGGED

1 Like

Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Nobody: 11:49am On Apr 11, 2017
EMEKA1MILLION:

The books are much! I could upload to Dropbox but u have to be specific of the ones u want.

Do you have Violence by Terry Hayes? Please, I want the eBook.

1 Like

Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by SilvanusII(m): 11:53am On Apr 11, 2017
freeDR:
For you not to have bought novels with your money simply shows you have no love for reading them. Whatever is your passion will cost you money. That's the rule.

It is apparent u know nothing. Your inspirational books are not novels read for entertainment and that rule doesn't apply. Among novels' readers, no one book is truly yours. You see one u like, u swap for it. It is an unspoken rule and it works for us.

I stocked Piers Anthony, Patricia Cormwell, Stephen King, John Saul, Ed Greenwood, Tolkien...only a couple remain. Moved on to ebooks now. Its just sad that an electronic copy can. never feel as good as ur paper bound prints

CarlosTheJackal:
I still don't know why i can't read Stephen King and Dean Koontz books past the first page.

Ayam not understanding. Not read past the first pages? Stephen King's books are stuff of legend. I know a couple of movie adaptations of his novels. The recurrent theme of Dean is dogs. That can be a bit boring. But he is good tho
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Nobody: 11:57am On Apr 11, 2017
Mambox:
Thousands will be a modest answer. From a war chest of 100s of Enid Blyton fictions, to over 40 James Hadley Chase and Biggles series, Pacesetter, Bloomseries, DanFulani, Fagbamigbe books to the best of African Writers Series where I've got about 40 on the list.

I won't forget African children books by Anezi Okori, Buchi Emecheta, Zulu Sofola, Kola Onadipe... Such beauty!

Then came John Grisham, Tami Hoag, Robert Ludlum, Frederick Forsyth, David Baldaci, a few Len Deighton and Stephen King plus many others...

Then adventure series led by Jeffrey Tayler, Wilbur Smith etc

Then Nigerian history 100 days of Abacha, TAPS, why we struck, 17yrs of military rule, the story of Nigeria, soldiers of fortune, Awo: Unfinished Greatness, There was once a country, The story of Biafra, Ojukwu by Forsyth... And a whole heap!

Then all Al-Maktoums books, Arabian and Islamic civilisation stories, Oxford business publications, and two book from former World Bank Director Dambissa Moyo... Reading is simply a way of life.

I really wished we rescucitated the beauty of African Literature, it's overall my best. Ferdinand Oyinbo, Chekh Amadou Kane, Our own Achebe, Ngugi Wa Thiong'O and Francis Selormey...

But i remain a bloody engineer though.

Baba the baba! Do you have ebooks written by Thiongo?

1 Like

Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by freeDR(m): 12:00pm On Apr 11, 2017
SilvanusII:

It is apparent u know nothing. Your inspirational books are not novels read for entertainment and that rule doesn't apply. Among novels' readers, no one book is truly yours. You see one u like, u swap for it. It is an unspoken rule and it works for us.

I stocked Piers Anthony, Patricia Cormwell, Stephen King, John Saul, Ed Greenwood, Tolkien...only a couple remain. Moved on to ebooks now. Its just sad that an electronic copy can. never feel as good as ur paper bound prints
You need to do a lot more to provoke me. For now, you haven't made enough sense to extract a worthwhile reply from me. Good luck bro.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Nobody: 12:12pm On Apr 11, 2017
onyii255:

Same here too....

If i decide to sell out my novels at the price i bought them, i will get ova 180k... And dey are all clean...

as in cool money grin.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by SilvanusII(m): 12:13pm On Apr 11, 2017
freeDR:

You need to do a lot more to provoke me. For now, you haven't made enough sense to extract a worthwhile reply from me. Good luck bro.

Yeye! You must think very highly of urself to assume that I, emi fun ara mi, am bothered whether u are provoked enough to reply me (whatever that means). I very much doubt you had any sense when u made ur initial comment. Deciphering anything I have said since would definitely be a huge problem for u to get any more than the tacky response u have just given
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Queeneen(f): 12:16pm On Apr 11, 2017
EMEKA1MILLION:
How my e library looks like.. Enough to last a lifetime grin

please share some for me!
thank you

1 Like

Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by freeDR(m): 12:16pm On Apr 11, 2017
SilvanusII:

Yeye! You must think very highly of urself to assume that I, emi fun ara mi, am bothered whether u are provoked enough to reply me (whatever that means). I very much doubt you had any sense when u made ur initial comment. Deciphering anything I have said since would definitely be a huge problem for u to get any more than the tacky response u have just given
Are you done? Alright, thank you. Have a wonderful day.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 12:18pm On Apr 11, 2017
Snow84:

Do you have Violence by Terry Hayes? Please, I want the eBook.
nope, library came up with only *I am pilgrim*
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by SilvanusII(m): 12:19pm On Apr 11, 2017
freeDR:
Are you done? Alright, thank you. Have a wonderful day.
cheesy cheesy Yes, I am. Bye Felicia. Don't let the door hit u on ur way out.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by ephi123(f): 12:38pm On Apr 11, 2017
CarlosTheJackal:
Read Steven Frey Wall Street thrillers and you will push Chase aside

Thanks a bunch, I've been looking for recommendation on new authors to try, will def give it a go.

1 Like

Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by ephi123(f): 12:44pm On Apr 11, 2017
happyheart:

Without bragging, I will say that I have read over 5000 novels since Jss1. It can even be more. I read at least a book a week. Sometimes as much as 3 books. I stay up nights to read novels. I read in the toilet and I read when eating. Terrible habit..lol but I am officially addicted to books.
I don't read love/romance books..
My latest book crush is Clive cussler but alas I have read all his books..
I have given so many books away,I remember I once had an agreement with a book seller to exchange 3 books for 1 new one. I went with 60 books and came back with 12 books...lol.
I don't read books online, I prefer hardback.
Anyone interested in having a couple of books can DM me. I will be in Lagos 1st or 2 nd week. Lagos residents only. Accra residents too. Anyone interested in getting free books, pls pm me.
I have made random friends cos I see them reading books.I can get down from a car/bus before my bus stop cos I saw a book stand.
Growing up ,mum used to beat me for reading novels too much!!! Lol.. I was always curled up reading. My bro was also addicted. I remember mum banging on the toilet door and screaming for whoever was in there to bring out that book..lol
I even took novels to church on Sunday and pretended I was reading the bible.

My first boyfriend bought me a mag and s novel..lol
I always create time to read a book.
I always buy my books.
Is there any ADDICTED bookie out there?

I doff my hat for you smiley You are a pro girl

1 Like

Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 1:05pm On Apr 11, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

strike out romance please, others are okay, thanks
newly created Steven King pack direct download link.
Send me a mail incase I get banned grin
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 1:06pm On Apr 11, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

upload as many as you can, then give the link; thanks
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ygu2krke4zdk0n/Stephen%20King%20Collection%20%5Bepub%5D.zip?dl=0
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Ishilove: 1:09pm On Apr 11, 2017
CarlosTheJackal:
Yea. It's about files of Nazi guys
Till date I don't understand the story line. I sha know I read novel grin
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by introvertme: 2:03pm On Apr 11, 2017
sircrabo:
I never had flare for novels. I prefered reading books from local authors. I read books like chike and the river, Eze goes to school, and very few novels from foreign authors.

I like books I can read and relate it to my present environment and picture myself as the main character I.e Chike in Chike and the river. I don't like reading a novel that's trying to create a picture of where I've never been before. I like Naija stories.

I also read articles. I see people move around with very fat novels in their bags and I wish I could do it

Few times I had a foreign novel with me ; I was only trying to get a girls attention. Lol

I wish I could write. Write the kind of stories I see on Nairaland literature section I.e diary of a street hustler, kukere sisters

Do you think its possible to develop the habit of reading novels at age 31 ? When all I think is money, money,more money.

I'm just a typical Naija guy

I thought I was the only one,I don't like foreign books at all !!!!

I'll rather read a short book by a foreign online than buy it.
But when I see a Nigerian author !!!

grin I must read it!!! grin

Cos d stuff is what I can relate with !!!
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by hopefulLandlord: 2:09pm On Apr 11, 2017
EMEKA1MILLION:
newly created Steven King pack direct download link.
Send me a mail incase I get banned grin

nairalandmain@gmail.com
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Nobody: 2:24pm On Apr 11, 2017
happyheart:

I think I should hive e books a try. What's the name of the app you use ?

Hi....pass on the e-books..the joy gotten from hearing/feeling the leaves of a book turning.....dog-earing a book, turning it upside down on the bed while you go out for a bit? Can never be matched by e-reading
I say this cos I related 100 percent with your post on book loving, lol...well, apart from the fact that none of my siblings was same way then....I would also use textbooks to cover my novels in class....I was always best student though ....and I used to steal my father's novels (a constant battle of book wills, if you please)...I am careless, he was meticulous

I guess that gave me the "nerve" to dictate to you to keep reading hard copies cheesy
Cheers

1 Like

Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Nobody: 2:41pm On Apr 11, 2017
peacettw:
This is just my experience too.
Right on the money. One has to make him/herself a person with better societal standing before the leisure of novelling.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Bukunming(m): 2:44pm On Apr 11, 2017
BeenieB:

Festac, what genre do you read exactly?
Crime. you?
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Nobody: 2:50pm On Apr 11, 2017
sircrabo:
I never had flare for novels. I prefered reading books from local authors. I read books like chike and the river, Eze goes to school, and very few novels from foreign authors.

I like books I can read and relate it to my present environment and picture myself as the main character I.e Chike in Chike and the river. I don't like reading a novel that's trying to create a picture of where I've never been before. I like Naija stories.

I also read articles. I see people move around with very fat novels in their bags and I wish I could do it

Few times I had a foreign novel with me ; I was only trying to get a girls attention. Lol

I wish I could write. Write the kind of stories I see on Nairaland literature section I.e diary of a street hustler, kukere sisters

Do you think its possible to develop the habit of reading novels at age 31 ? When all I think is money, money,more money.

I'm just a typical Naija guy

I was gonna respond to your post, but laziness got the better of me....till I saw @introvertme's post to you
...and I had to wade in

You say you do not want pictures of places you have never been to(I am guessing cultures unfamiliar too?)
I have been avidly, hungrily, selfishly, blissfully reading since I was a very young child...I am a reader
(mostly fiction too)

I just need to tell you this...from books I got a feel of Europe and NAmerica
On getting to these continents, fairly recently as an adult ....the countrysides, cities esp streets, skylines, pubs and etc...cuisines, cultures, even accents and more shocked were exactly (or very very near) the way I had pictured them from reading!!! This is absolutely true...totally true

One would validly argue that the correct picture of my reading that, Rome as an example, proved to be, was from the screen (TV, movies and all)...to this I say, what about the many, many villages I never saw on screen, what about cities in Scotland that I know only books told me about (way before the advent of the internet)?
I can talk about places I have never been....and paint accurate pictures of these, tell you about the culture...India, Canada, Japan, many more come to mind cheesy....and no, not from Google, I knew all these from books...novels for the most part.

My point? Do not dismiss reading about places unknown, why, you could find yourself in those places and not feel lost/adrift at all cool....besides reading about places makes you dream and long for travel, and the Universe preps/paves every way for this travel to happen (no interest in these places could suggest you have no interest in travel? I dunno)
I also pictured the beach first from books, and also the view of the clouds from high up in there in the skies on a plane...and guess what? Yeah....just like in the books...so just read...except if you really have no interest in reading (find novels a drag)? Then that one I would understand
Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Ashley86400: 2:52pm On Apr 11, 2017
nmreports:
I used to have over 250.
I was an addict.
Some of the ones I still have:

Stephen King, my favorite

I have all these books. .
Got a mini library at home . .last time I checked I counted 423 novels. .counted it because my sister tends to lend my novels out when I'm absent from home. Here serving at my PPA I've bought more novels . .adding them to my collection when I get back.
I don't like Jack Daws tho ..Ken Follet is my best Author and I have all his books. .even the non-fictional ones. .Jack Daws and Night Over Water were my least favorites books from him tho. .started out well but didn't like the the latter half . . they were good books nevertheless. .just not my best from him.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by bigmo1(m): 3:12pm On Apr 11, 2017
Does anyone have this book? Seizing Power : The Strategic Logic of Military Coups by naunihal singh. And jaguar Nana too.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by nmreports: 3:34pm On Apr 11, 2017
Ashley86400:

I have all these books. .
Got a mini library at home . .last time I checked I counted 423 novels. .counted it because my sister tends to lend my novels out when I'm absent from home. Here serving at my PPA I've bought more novels . .adding them to my collection when I get back.
I don't like Jack Daws tho ..Ken Follet is my best Author and I have all his books. .even the non-fictional ones. .Jack Daws and Night Over Water were my least favorites books from him tho. .started out well but didn't like the the latter half . . they were good books nevertheless. .just not my best from him.

I have forgotten the characters in Jack Daws but those ladies were awesome. I wonder why you dont like the novel though. Are you male?. I am guessing you are chauvinistic and thats why. Like you dont like female heroines... Thats just a joke though. Jack Daws is actually my favorite from Ken Follet.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by happyheart(f): 6:08pm On Apr 11, 2017
ZarZar:

Wow, that's strange that your mom didn't encourage your reading. Mine loved it because it meant I'd be home & not running the streets. We even went together to apply for a library card because they needed a parent's consent & signature. For a few years I stayed with my sister, she knew if I wasn't at home, I was at the library. Now she's trying to force her daughter to be just like how I was growing up. But it doesn't work that way. Either you love reading or you don't. You can't make a person want to read if that's not their thing. It's just how you're created, I guess. Good to know you're still passionate about it though smiley
She was worried cos I read novels at the expense of everything else. I dodged my chores and when it comes to running errands, I always came up with excuses. Most importantly, I read novels and neglected my school books.
I was an average student in school, sometimes below average cos I 'd rather read a novel than do school work.
She was just against my brother and I spending every available time reading novels.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by ashjay001(m): 6:27pm On Apr 11, 2017
Ishilove:

Lol. I have no reason to lie. I finished John Grisham's The Odyssey File at age 9, and then on to James Hadley Chase and Agatha Christie! cheesy

U just make me catch headache like dat! Where John Grisham n The Odyssey file take jam!?

I come dey wonder how e take escape my notice sef! So, true true, ur pinocchio grade high pass!?

Inbtw, discovered books at a young age too! Ur reference to Enid Blyton brought back memories(good n bad). Started boarding at d age of 4! Books became my best friends, even on hols!

I bought so much, I bought some 3 copies! Reading Pacesetters, Hadley Chase, Sidney Sheldon, Pre-science fiction Ludlum, Taylor-Bradford, Grisham, Dick Francis, Harlequin, M&B and a host of others, have killed d suspense I hope to get in reading modern day stories! Few stories hold any mystery! Some even feel like Deja vu!

But, now, btw d internet n raising a family, novels are a lost love!

Modified: How I take forget Jeffrey Archer, Federick Forsyth.
I need a copy of "d emancipist", not d revised edition. I will come out of partial retirement to finis it!
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Ishilove: 7:42pm On Apr 11, 2017
ashjay001:

U just make me catch headache like dat! Where John Grisham n The Odyssey file take jam!?
Since you are so quick to quote, you should also be quick to notice where I clearly pointed I was very young when I read that novel so I mixed up the names. It is on this thread I discovered that it is Forsythe, not Grisham who wrote the novel. That I even got the name of the of novel wrong should tell you I missed it.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by junnyjake(m): 9:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
Lunagirl:

I have a thousand books too. Let's share with each other naaaa
Are they in electronic format?
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by junnyjake(m): 9:35pm On Apr 11, 2017
EMEKA1MILLION:

You can! If you Know how to download from torrent sites, you can get hundreds of latest bestsellers.

Wow, this is nice, I have read many books, but while growing up, I was all pacesetters, as those were the Dad's favorite.

Funny till is that till date, I haven't spent one kobo on any novel. I only receive donations from Dad, Mom, younger sister, cousins, friends, course mates. Only spent on inspirational, educational and business stuffs.

It's been a while I read a novel, it's all business for me these days. I think I need some distractions.

Please o, you'd help me upload some romance, political thriller, some Nigerian novels if you have any, military and strategy, crime. Just mix up the authors, I'd appreciate it.

In fact I just sent you a mail, thanks in advance!
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by junnyjake(m): 9:41pm On Apr 11, 2017
DesChyko:
With the advent of ebooks, I don't buy anymore..

But before then, I own a handsome number of Agatha Christies, James Hardly Chases and John Grishams.. All bought between the prices of 300 and 500..

If you figure in the ebooks, Clive Cusslers, Michael Crichtons, Stephen Kings, Dan Browns, Ken Folletts and Dean Koontz are populat authors in my vast collection.

I downloaded all last two years and I'm yet to read all.. Lol

Great! I'd love to have a little of what you have in your e-library, really want to go back to my former reading habits.

If you don't mind to share with me, I'd want some Clive cusslers, Ken folletts, Dean Koontz and maybe some your all time favorite, regardless of the author.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

CURSED / I Thought It Was Real / Love Is A Dangerous Game

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.