Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,002 members, 7,835,388 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

Does Anybody Know Anything About The Suzuki Jimny? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Does Anybody Know Anything About The Suzuki Jimny? (3525 Views)

SOLD!!!!!!!!! Suzuki Mini Bus @ 530k / Sparkling Tokunbo 2003 Suzuki XL-7 4wd...price: N1m / 11 Suzuki Carry Vans @ N700,000 Each & A Scania 93 Truck @ N2.3million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Anybody Know Anything About The Suzuki Jimny? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 30, 2009
I am amazed that I receive NO response to my inquiries about the Suzuki Jimny on this forum, despite the fact that this section is filled with 'Car dealers'. No prices, nobody can ship it in, nobody has any performance information, etc. I have to depend on reviews from UK and US sites, but I dont want the opinion of someone who has been paid to make a review - I need experienced info from a regular person, esp. a Nigerian.

My questions are:
1. Can any of our 'car dealers' here ship one in?
2. How much does a new one cost, and how much would a used 2005+ model cost?
3. What is the resale value like?
4. Are there any known troubles peculiar to this car?
5. Is it truly unstable at roundabouts/bends at normal traffic speeds?

I would appreciate any detailed info on it.
Re: Does Anybody Know Anything About The Suzuki Jimny? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Dec 30, 2009
not a bad ride, do u need it in RHD,then its easy to import from UK or Japan?

Re: Does Anybody Know Anything About The Suzuki Jimny? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jan 01, 2010
LHD. Can you do it?
Re: Does Anybody Know Anything About The Suzuki Jimny? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jan 01, 2010
Mechanically, it's a good car, like most Japanese offerings.

They don't however, fare particularly well in roll-over tests, and are prone to turning over if evasive action's are taken at moderate speeds, or if driven on rough roads subject to very negative camber.

The high centre of gravity, and relatively narrow track are the culprits here, and these are faults which unfortunately can't be corrected.

Not an off-roader I'd be keen to purchase, even if dirt cheap.
Re: Does Anybody Know Anything About The Suzuki Jimny? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 01, 2010
Gridlock, here's an extract from Wikipedia with regards to the Suzuki Jimny's roll over issues:

Consumers Union and the Suzuki Samurai Lawsuit

The Suzuki Samurai gained an infamous reputation of being an unsafe car and prone to a rollover after Consumer Reports, the magazine arm of Consumers Union, reported that during a 1988 test on the short course avoidance maneuver (Consumer Union Short Course Double Lane Change, or CUSC for short), the Samurai experienced what they deemed as an unacceptable amount of roll-over while undertaking the severe turn. The roll-over which CU deemed unacceptable stemmed from the sudden swerve simulation part of the test where, for example, a car backs out of a driveway or drives forward from a side street or intersection and into traffic, causing the driver to unexpectedly swerve to avoid hitting the object that is obstructing the drivers path.

The dispute and eventual lawsuit stemmed from the CR statement easily rolls over in turns, which CR attributed to the sudden swerve test, and not meant to generally apply to the Samurai in retrospect to other tests that CR undertakes to simulate normal routine driving such as 0-60 mph acceleration and stopping. However, the use of the adverb easily may have been misconstrued or misunderstood by others to indicate that the Samurai was inherently an unsafe car prone to roll-overs in any sort of driving conditions.

Suzuki sued on the grounds that the statements made by CU damaged their reputation and the reputation of their vehicles in 1996. Suzuki sued for $60 Million in damages and unspecified punitive damages for what Suzuki claimed was willful fraudulent testing[1]. However, after an 8-year legal battle and several dismissals of Suzuki's claims against CR in Federal courts, both sides settled out of court through mutual consent in 2004.[2]

In the settlement, CR agreed to mention the agreement that it "never intended to imply that the Samurai easily rolls over in routine driving conditions." And it notes that it "never questioned the safety of any other Suzuki model" and, in fact, "praised the Suzuki Sidekick and recommended the Suzuki Vitara/XL-7."[3] This agreement is noted whenever mention of the Suzuki Samurai is made in any media CR publishes, such as Used Car guides and even website searches on their website.

However, although Consumer Reports was eventually forced to compromise, there is little doubt that there were serious safety compromises on the Suzuki SJ. Suzuki’s own internal documents prove the company knew of the Samurai’s rollover problem, but marketed the car anyway. A Suzuki memorandum dated July 14, 1985 stated: ‘It is imperative that we develop a crisis plan that will primarily deal with the ‘roll’ factor. Because of the narrow wheel base, similar to the Jeep, the car is bound to turn over.’” [1]

If there were any reasons to look elsewhere with regards to mini-offroaders, they're listed above.

More can be read on Wikipedia here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Jimny
Re: Does Anybody Know Anything About The Suzuki Jimny? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jan 01, 2010
If after reading the above, you're still sold on the idea of acquiring a LHD Suzuki Jimny, I could source you one. I will of course earn a profit from it, and ship to Nigeria, but I want you to be aware of the short comings of the vehicle, Gridlock. It's not all about profit, but safety as well.

Best of luck.
Re: Does Anybody Know Anything About The Suzuki Jimny? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jan 02, 2010
hi gridlock, saw some of ur old posting on nl on dolphin estate. i am making enquiries for someone looking to rent one of those flats, do you know how much they go for now? has electricity improve there, n do u still stay there? ur answers will really help, thanks in advance.
Re: Does Anybody Know Anything About The Suzuki Jimny? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jan 05, 2010
Thanks for the Info, Siena. I actually thought the story was a stunt pulled by consumers union to discredit the jimny/samurai, and that the rollover issue is not as bad as it's portrayed. I don't usually travel above 80km/h in any case, but I'll do a little more research and get back to you.

@df2006: I live in Ajah now, I left Dolphin in 2007
Re: Does Anybody Know Anything About The Suzuki Jimny? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 04, 2011
@Siena

Sorry for resuscitating an old thread, but I need to contact you on your offer.
Re: Does Anybody Know Anything About The Suzuki Jimny? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 04, 2011
Gridlock:

@Siena

Sorry for resuscitating an old thread, but I need to contact you on your offer.

Sure.

info@euro-asian-autoparts.com

+44 (0) 7818 228 225

(1) (Reply)

Tokunbo 2013 Lexus RX350 (2units Available) / Company Used 2006 Benz E240 For Quick Sale / *toks* Vw Vento Or Passat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.