Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

How To Get Your Dream Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get Your Dream Job (8315 Views)

Advice, Tips & Strategies To Help You Land Your Dream Job / 1st Step Towards Dream JOB / How To Secure Your Dream Job In The First Quarter Of 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get Your Dream Job by Paulipopor: 4:42pm On Apr 11, 2017
The next logical step after schooling (or NYSC for Nigerian graduates) is to get a job. This is usually not the case for most job-seekers. Many of them have to wait from between one to ten years before landing a "good" job.

Personally for me I don't believe there are no jobs. The challenge most time is how to get the available jobs. The truth is that people get new jobs every day. People are promoted every day and the posts they leave behind are still vacant. Businesses are being registered on a daily basis (na spirits dem employ?).

After establishing the fact that there are jobs, the next thing is to have a plan and a definite strategy. You must understand that the conventional way of getting a job will not work for everybody. Your chances in the conventional ways are limited because of the population of people looking for the same thing you're looking for. Some even have better qualifications than you. That's why you need to strategize!

How to plan and strategize

The economy is divided into sectors/industries, these industries are sub-divided into firms. What you studied might not be found in every firm (unlike accounting or IT). So you have to identify the firms that need your skills. Get the details of these firms, their names, location, what they do etc. This information will guide your approach. Prepare a good CV and cover letter. Don't wait for them to ask you for your CV. Don't send soft copy only. These companies receive thousands of CV online daily. Go to the company physically.

Don't just give your CV and Covet Letter to the gatemen/security, not the receptionist not even the HR (in some cases). Try and get it to a top management staff, or a P.A to the MD. You can get to meet a top person who works there on LinkedIn.

The idea is to get their attention at all cost. This will land you an invite. The other process of test, series of interviews, etc, you'll also need to be well prepared.

I challenge you today, go and make a difference. Get that dream job. Don't reduce your expectations.

Shalom!

http://paulipopor..com.ng/2013/09/how-to-get-your-dream-job.html

11 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by Nobody: 7:22am On Apr 12, 2017
Thanks Op...
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by veekid(m): 7:22am On Apr 12, 2017
Where there s no job in the country abi
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by chinawapz(m): 7:22am On Apr 12, 2017
It is cool
based on logistics, the op try small
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by librangyps(f): 7:23am On Apr 12, 2017
Na today?
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by 0b10010011: 7:24am On Apr 12, 2017
Fiction!

Better go know people so ye my get employed
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by soberdrunk(m): 7:26am On Apr 12, 2017
In Nigeria the easiest way to get your 'dream job' is to 'go to bed' and 'dream' about it......... angry

Ps-No offence OP but you are displaying so much 'optimism' like all those 'ajebutter' children that attended 'private universities' where they have been made to believe 'the world is theirs', unfortunately in Nigeria today the 'success by merit' percentage is very very low..... angry

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by herdekunley9ja(m): 7:26am On Apr 12, 2017
waoh.. ... Thanks
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by Ezedon(m): 7:30am On Apr 12, 2017
Roster and Bull story
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by Nobody: 7:30am On Apr 12, 2017
Na reply I just press, no even read anything, I just want these words I dey type to show here.

U no say people no dey know wen joke end, make this my guy stand up na, hunger don even dey rip my intestine into rippeneds.
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by Tazdroid(m): 7:31am On Apr 12, 2017
I totally agree with the issue of presenting your CV to any member of top management. I made that mistake once, giving my CV to the bloody receptionist and relaxing at home hoping I may get called soon. My CV must be somewhere in a waste truck crying for rescue

In addition, following up at where you applied is not an option. It may prove your diligence to the prospective employer by persistently pressuring him/her for feedback

1 Like

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by sakalisis(m): 7:44am On Apr 12, 2017
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by ednut1(m): 7:44am On Apr 12, 2017
u haven't said anything new

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by stamapro(m): 7:46am On Apr 12, 2017
librangyps:
Na today?
no na tomorow, hv faith
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by Intelligentdude(m): 7:47am On Apr 12, 2017
There is a difference between a dream job and an available job.

You might not get your dream job immediately after service,but there will be alternative jobs that will help give you the requisite skills/trainings needed to get your dream job.

To bring it home,if you are a graduate of Electrical Engineering, and you just concluded your service,it won't be wise to go sit at home. After doing all your CV submissions and while waiting,you can attach yourself to that "illiterate" Electrician (in quote)in your neighborhood.
The experience and technical skill you acquire will differentiate you from other applicants in subsequent interviews.

Also note(aside connection), the first step to getting your dream job is creating a database of companies you wish to work with.

For your Professional Career Counselling/Professional CV/Cover Letter drafting, chat me up on whatsap (08134657689)

1 Like

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by flyca: 7:49am On Apr 12, 2017
Getting to top management is not that easy. LinkedIn charges some money before you get to them. It even has grades depending on who you want to meet. Prenium account, Diamond account etc

1 Like

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by temmypotter(m): 7:52am On Apr 12, 2017
na so

For those of you seeking a dream job.. these is the Naija unadulterated way to go about it.

1. Go school! at all at all.. try carry 2.2 waka.. even if na runz..
2. Sabi speak English and wear fine cloth, if you fit follow am up with ride.. e no bad
3. Sabi flirt with older women
4. Sabi person wey sabi person wey sabi person
5. dream job is yours.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by ReubenE(m): 7:54am On Apr 12, 2017
Nice write up but it's not that simple.
Security men by the gate are known to wield so much power that they may not even allow you go beyond them, unless you have a good reason to...certainly not job seeking.

I have a brother that has being looking for a shipping company to do his sea time placement for a very long time, I can tell you that most of the shipping companies located in Apapa denied him entrance at several occasions, and made him drop CV with bloody security men who are hell bent on frustrating any effort related to job seeking.

OP, I think I have to agree with the other school of thought that one must have a backup in order to see even the MDs shadow not to talk of spending few minutes with him.
Unfortunately, that is the society we find ourselves.
Nevertheless, we have to keep trying in order to make it work.
Nice one OP

3 Likes

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by ReubenE(m): 7:56am On Apr 12, 2017
flyca:
Getting to top management is not that easy. LinkedIn charges some money before you get to them. It even has grades depending on who you want to meet. Prenium account, Diamond account etc
Very TRUE..
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by Nobody: 8:09am On Apr 12, 2017
nice one ,my little stint with an insurance company made me gather ways to bypass gatemen, first is your appearance and the way you carry yourself. trust me they may even serve you tea sef grin
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by mathy2p2: 8:23am On Apr 12, 2017
You can also go for professional certificate to boat ur CV
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by konshency(m): 8:23am On Apr 12, 2017
Nice one... Tnx for d inspiration
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by ItsawrapOutfit: 8:32am On Apr 12, 2017
Noted
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by Paulipopor: 8:34am On Apr 12, 2017
soberdrunk:
In Nigeria the easiest way to get your 'dream job' is to 'go to bed' and 'dream' about it......... angry

Ps-No offence OP but you are displaying so much 'optimism' like all those 'ajebutter' children that attended 'private universities' where they have been made to believe 'the world is theirs', unfortunately in Nigeria today the 'success by merit' percentage is very very low..... angry

If you know my story you won't say that sir. I finished secondary school when I was 16 and didn't graduate till ten years later. Got my graduate job when I was almost 28! Being optimistic has paid off for a lot of people like me.

You choose bro. Choose life, the good one.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by Paulipopor: 8:41am On Apr 12, 2017
flyca:

You can get a top person for free at least for a month before linkenin starts charging. Also by top person, it could be a manager or senior manager. Not necessary a CEO or board member and you can get these guys for free.
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by Paulipopor: 8:42am On Apr 12, 2017
konshency:
Nice one... Tnx for d inspiration

Thank you. I'm glad you're inspired. Thank you.
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by Paulipopor: 8:45am On Apr 12, 2017
Intelligentdude:

To bring it home,if you are a graduate of Electrical Engineering, and you just concluded your service,it won't be wise to go sit at home. After doing all your CV submissions and while waiting,you can attach yourself to that "illiterate" Electrician (in quote)in your neighborhood.
The experience and technical skill you acquire will differentiate you from other applicants in subsequent interviews.

I like this part. Get busy while you're waiting. Thank you.

Modified:
While I was waiting for my dream job, I got another job and after six month on the job I resumed to my dream job.

1 Like

Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by GloriaNinja(f): 8:53am On Apr 12, 2017
NIGERIA SHOULD ALSO BASE ON SKILLS WHEN IT COMES GRANTING A JOB, NOT ONLY ON CERTIFICATE ALONE.
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by flyca: 9:02am On Apr 12, 2017
Paulipopor:

You can get a top person for free at least for a month before linkenin starts charging. Also by top person, it could be a manager or senior manager. Not necessary a CEO or board member and you can get these guys for free.
You will submit your account details first. Aftrr the first free month, they authomatically start charging you.
Re: How To Get Your Dream Job by Paulipopor: 9:11am On Apr 12, 2017
flyca:

You will submit your account details first. Aftrr the first free month, they authomatically start charging you.

You can cancel it before the end of the free month.
The point is, find a way.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

FHI 360 Job Recruitment (9 Positions) / Apply For Bridge International Academies Job Recruitment (5 Positions) / Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.