Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,633 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 (6860 Views)

AFROBASKET2015 FINAL: Nigeria Vs. Angola 74 - 65 On 30th August 2015 / Ronaldinho Set For Angola Move / South Africa, Angola, Morroco, Cape Verde - AFCON 2013 Group A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by saturnjay(m): 10:25am On Dec 31, 2009
Nigeria have trimmed their African Cup of Nations list to 24 from the squad of 32 earlier announced by Head Coach Shaibu Amodu.
After a meeting involving the NFF leadership, members of the NFF Technical Committee and the Super Eagles’ technical crew at the NFF Secretariat in Abuja yesterday morning, eight players were dropped from the playing body for the final training camp that starts in Durban, South Africa on New Year’s Day.
Team Captain Nwankwo Kanu is set to make his sixth appearance in the continental showpiece, with his deputy Joseph Yobo and other ‘senior’ players like Oluwaseyi Olofinjana and Yakubu Aiyegbeni also listed.
The three goalkeepers who were at the last competition in Ghana earlier last year also head to Angola, with youngster Elderson Echiejile countenancing his first African Nations Cup.

THE FULL SQUAD

Goalkeepers: Vincent Enyeama, Bamidele Aiyenugba, Austin Ejide

Defenders: Joseph Yobo, Danny Shittu, Obinna Nwaneri, Taye Taiwo, Elderson Echiejile, Yusuf Muhammad, Chidi Odiah, Onyekachi Apam

Midfielders: Nwankwo Kanu, Mikel Obi, Dickson Etuhu, Sani Kaita, Yusuf Ayila, Oluwaseyi Olofinjana, Kalu Uche

Strikers: Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Osaze Odemwingie, Michael Eneramo, Obinna Nsofor, Obafemi Martins, Chinedu Obasi.                   

http://news.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11918:nigeria-names-24-for-angola-2010&catid=45:sports&Itemid=28
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by papagiddy(m): 12:24pm On Dec 31, 2009
well, lets wait and see what will become of them after the Nation cup. most of them will formble out. u just watch!
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by sholasys: 12:35pm On Dec 31, 2009
god help us
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by Gadols(f): 12:50pm On Dec 31, 2009
That list is suspect. I expected the likes of Philip Osundu, Peter Ogaba and Bath Ogbechi to be there.
They are fantastic players and still making waves in europe.
Amodu should rethink.
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by SamMilla1(m): 12:53pm On Dec 31, 2009
Woe DELE ADELEYE is missing.

I like that guy

Gadols:

That list is suspect. I expected the likes of Philip Osundu, Peter Ogaba and Bath Ogbechi to be there.
Amodu should rethink.

lol, making waves
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by kingO12k(m): 12:59pm On Dec 31, 2009
well i think the list is good enough, but what matters most is result , hope they give it there best shot,
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by chelseabmw(m): 1:09pm On Dec 31, 2009
The list is okay,
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by azeeza(f): 1:33pm On Dec 31, 2009
@poster

Only twenty three names well be sumitted to caf out of the 24 listed.so who will be left out?
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 31, 2009
Is shittu better than Adeleye?
Who is Yusuf Mohammed, what are his records?
At the world cup, who will be marking Messi? pls dont tell me Nwaneri.
How many minutes of Action will Kanu play at Angola? How many did he play during the qualifiers?
what is the criteria for team selection? sentiment?
pls I need answers.
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by illusion2: 1:52pm On Dec 31, 2009
How can he draw up a list without at least ONE WEEK of camping

I reaffirm again CHIDI ODIAH IS NOT SUPER EAGLES MATERIAL , rather than pick him,he should have picked one of the local defenders for experience & exposure !!!!
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by youngbest(m): 2:02pm On Dec 31, 2009
no home based
kalu uche is better as a striker dan midfielder
dem 4 drop olofinjana put dat u-17 center midfielder or better still
dat u-20 ibrahim guy,
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by bisiaet: 2:18pm On Dec 31, 2009
Well the list is ok but few players should not be included as I see them a bit tired but as for Kanu there is no way he wont go because he is the skiper and as well as a honour to him as our most cap player ever pls let Kanu be but I can see one Ibrahim there which I dont know where he came from or where is he playing well Amodu one thing Iam sure of is that Amodu will not go to South Africaas coach because Angola will be a test ground for him and Iam so sure Amodu will not survive it.
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by Iyineda(m): 2:18pm On Dec 31, 2009
azeeza:

@poster

Only twenty three names well be sumitted to caf out of the 24 listed.so who will be left out?

Apparently, the last spot will be between Martins and Obasi. Martins is yet to pass a fitness test in Durban that would validate his ticket to Angola. In that case, Obasi takes it in the crotch. . . undecided
Meanwhile, Eneramo has his ticket secured; go figure.

oxford:

Is shittu better than Adeleye?

Adeleye is fit. Shittu hasn't played squat this season. Therefore, Adeleye > Shittu.

oxford:
Who is Yusuf Mohammed, what are his records?

Yusuf who? Records? Sorry, not clicking. .  sad

oxford:
At the world cup, who will be marking Messi? pls dont tell me Nwaneri.

If it is Nwaneri, then we might as well pull out of the competition when it is still time.

oxford:
How many minutes of Action will Kanu play at Angola? How many did he play during the qualifiers?

Hopefully, he'll never have to play because if so, it would mean the team is in dire need of Lucozade Boost. The qualifers? Well, does running around the touchline screaming "abeg, shoot dee ball !" count? If so, you got your answer.

oxford:
what is the criteria for team selection? sentiment?

Politics. Oh wait. . .
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by koolchicco: 2:22pm On Dec 31, 2009
Olofinjana shouldn't be on the list IMO. NO? undecided
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by 2klong: 2:42pm On Dec 31, 2009
Omo this Amodu don de crazy ooo ,he no take adelaye sha !
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by jidesamuel(m): 2:45pm On Dec 31, 2009
for crying out loud,i think amodu is a dreamer  cool,
i can envisage a hell of problem in the central defence.
amodu picked 3 problem bound players to anchor the central defence
while in other wings we have at least 2 players.
besides,does a prophet needs to tell amodu that
Yobo is injured and cannot play competitive match for now,as if that is not enough,
danny shittu has not played for his club coz it appears he has been nailed to the bench
obinna nwaneri has not been having good time also,he's not been playing regularly
yet amodu has the guts to put him on the list.
while Dele Adeleye whom everyone feels could do a good job is no where to be found,
i think amodu should have a rethink on dis list or else
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by Foxflames: 2:46pm On Dec 31, 2009
where is UTAKA the attacker??
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by Okukk(m): 3:00pm On Dec 31, 2009
May God help our team
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by marutimon: 3:15pm On Dec 31, 2009
Utaka? As in John or Peter? John hasn't been playing much, but I still keep wondering why Peter Utaka has yet to play for the Eagles? Since 2007 he has scored 68 goals in 94 games for his clubs. Maybe not in big clubs, but why not try him out?

The following players should not be in the squad:
Danny Shittu, Nwankwo Kanu, Michael Eneramo and at least one of these four defensive midfielders: Dickson Etuhu, Sani Kaita, Yusuf Ayila, Oluwaseyi Olofinjana.

Dele Adeleye and the sole creative midfielder Femi Ajilore should be in the squad.

Apart from that we really need to try out midfielders. Maybe some of the younger players to choose from: Lukman Haruna or Rabiu Ibrahim,  Dammit,  not a lot to choose from,
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by jerk: 3:23pm On Dec 31, 2009
The list is okay and am quite happy for the introduction of echejile and odia.
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by snowdrops(m): 3:44pm On Dec 31, 2009
These major tournaments always hold surprises.

Lets all chill out, and wait till after the group phases before commending or condemning.
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by otokx(m): 3:51pm On Dec 31, 2009
Let him carry on so that he will not have an excuse just in case things go wrong.
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by snakova(m): 3:56pm On Dec 31, 2009
its good to know some nairalanders have their heads in the right place. its in ten days time. God help us
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by RINGORINGO: 4:31pm On Dec 31, 2009
Haruna Lukman is not a disciplined player. Nobody should mention his name for national assignment until he changes his ways. I wish Amodu well cool
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by DEWESTER: 4:54pm On Dec 31, 2009
I think this list is not right,we should have a couple of home based players in the list,also we should have some of the flying eagles and golden eaglets in the list.shauibu should pls go back to the drawing board and make a comprehensive list pls.
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by marocguy(m): 5:11pm On Dec 31, 2009
Who d hell is yusuf mohammed? These hausa run NFF hav come again. They hav imposed an hausaman on us. Guess he has his agent in d E.A who want to secure a work permit 4 him,dats y they dropped adeleye,dat we all knw, Imagine a coach dat oegotiates his squad wit d football federatn. I smell sometn fishy. Dats y they cant use a foreign coach. They cant infuence his squad.
Coming 2 d team, four defensive midfielders n kalu n kanu as attackn,dat means we we still hope on personal efforts of odems n co 2 win. No thru pass or short pass plays. Mikel n olofinjana will be passengers in our team as usual. They cud hav used ajilore. A better choice,or convertd okoro. These r more creative midfielders.
Anyway,i score d team 60% gud 2 deliver. We will win a few matches with 1-0,2-1 margins,draw games n will go a bit far. The team lacks creativity. We rely on odems/uche solo effort,kanu(second half passes n penalty),martins magic n nsofors bullet shots as our match winners as usual.
I wish them d best as we will support as usual.
Dont expect any gud football frm naija.Its gonn b fight n struggle 2 win all d way.
I rest my case
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by Princek12(m): 5:31pm On Dec 31, 2009
Again, Amodu has shown why the Super Eagles perform poorly in international competitions:

(1) Obafemi Martins just underwent surgery, so there is inadequate time to recover from surgery, rehab, and be in match fitness before the tournament commences (mind you, soccer fitness is not child's play). Amodu said he selected Martins because Martins gave him assurance that he will be ready for the tournament. When did player assurances, instead of demonstrable evidence of fitness on the pitch, become the requisite for selection to the team?

(2) Kanu plays like a grandfather on that pitch; he is out of form and falls down at the slightest touch.

(3) Taye Taiwo is a loser; he thinks of amala and ewedu soup after 75 mins of play and not focused. Taye Taiwo has cost us too many games, because he is either too aggressive in tackling defenders, which makes him prone to conceding penalties; or he runs down to defend the goal instead of chasing down a defender and marking that striker, giving a moderately skillful striker enough space to strike on goal (remember he did this against Tunisia in the 90th minute).

(4) If I were Amodu, I would bring in Stephen Okoro from the Golden Eaglests. He is fit,  energetic, has pace, and has a winning attitude. Atl east he will be a better pick than Kanu. He can also recruit one or two other stars from the Golden Eaglets team. At least their fitness level, in that they can chase down the opponent for 90 minutes, has been shown.

(5) I also question the match fitness of the selected players. The reason why the Golden Eaglets were successful in the recent U-17 World Cup was mainly due to the fitness of every player on that pitch. I cannot speak the same of the Super Eagles squad.

In short, one player could down an entire team, so it is imperative that each player is extremely fit and ready for the tournament. Choose players because of fitness rather than established names.
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by tayoast(m): 7:51pm On Dec 31, 2009
they would neva make any headway with ds defence line. trust me
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by mikeoscar: 7:59pm On Dec 31, 2009
Amodu should rethink.

@Gadols,
Pls be serious for once in your life. O.k, this last time in 2009.
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by kayality: 8:08pm On Dec 31, 2009
2klong:

Omo this Amodu don de crazy ooo ,he no take adelaye sha !

Very very crazy
Re: Nigeria Name 24 For Angola 2010 by Leefrancis(m): 8:22pm On Dec 31, 2009
I don't know the reason why players like:
1. Alafin Virgina - Olofijina
2. Shittu
3. Mohammed Yusuf stil made the list.

Amodu and his technical adviser Kanu should explain the non-inclusion of hard figting centre backs like SAM SODJE and DELE ADELEYE who were so compose against France and Ireland.

I dare NFF, am better than Amodu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Is The Owner Of Bet9ja Company? / Ramsey Scored Against S/korea, Kirk Urso Died The Next Day / Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.