Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,004 members, 7,845,243 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

These Factors Make Igbos Successful And Ahead Of Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / These Factors Make Igbos Successful And Ahead Of Others (571 Views)

Ohaneze Chieftain Reveals Important Factor That Can Make Igbos Realise Presidenc / Timothy Owoeye Caught Bathing In Osun Market Ahead Of Election (Photos, video) / You Make Igbos Poor With Your Leadership, Chidi Odinkalu Blasts Rochas Okorocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

These Factors Make Igbos Successful And Ahead Of Others by Youngadvocate(m): 10:24pm On Apr 13, 2017
Somebody asked me what i think is the reason why Anambra,has more successful merchants than any other Igbo state?
I told her it is because of it's geographical location and culture.
Its geographical location made the British Royal Niger Company establish the first trading post in Igboland at Onitsha in 1857 and it's undiluted Nri culture pushed men first from the adjoining hinterland to Onitsha and then back to the interiors as middlemen in search of palm oil,kernel to sell to the British traders at Onitsha and take back British goods to the interior.

The same dominant Nri culture consolidated wealth acquisition and redistribution within members of these communities of middlemen.It could be the reason why Onitsha people,with a slightly diluted Nri culture are not as great merchants as Osumenyi or Nnewi people for example.

The British reached Abor,Idah,Koton Karfe,Lokoja,Bussa,Jebba etc in 1841 Niger Expedition before Onitsha.

The first British trading post in what is now Enugu state was in Ogurugu,now in Uzo Uwani LGA because they came on a canoe through the Anambra river that joined the River Niger leading to their post in Onitsha.Merchants like Umeanu of Enugwu Agidi,Ibeneme etc went to Nsukka and other centers of palm oil trade through this route.

Complete reading: http://igbobia.com/?q=geographical-location-and-culturethe-factors-that-make-ndigbo-successful.html
Re: These Factors Make Igbos Successful And Ahead Of Others by Ofodirinwa: 11:00pm On Apr 13, 2017
You're a fagg9t
Re: These Factors Make Igbos Successful And Ahead Of Others by Philistine(m): 12:06am On Apr 14, 2017
Igbos suffer inferiority complex
Re: These Factors Make Igbos Successful And Ahead Of Others by conductor1: 12:19am On Apr 14, 2017
Philistine:
Philistine:
E pain am well well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: These Factors Make Igbos Successful And Ahead Of Others by Unimaginable123: 12:28am On Apr 14, 2017
Op,forget haters. Igbos are a wonder to behold. We built lagos, from start to finish. No dispute

1 Like

Re: These Factors Make Igbos Successful And Ahead Of Others by Nobody: 12:46am On Apr 14, 2017
The fact is all Igbos have that drive in them, however Anambra people are more aggressive in pursuit of wealth as seen with jews. You mentioned Eri, not a coincidence that Eri settled in Umuleri in Anambra.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Sold Ikoyi Mansion To Pay Loan, Recovered Loot Not Mine - Mu'azu / Photos: Sen. Adeleke's Younger Brother Pictured Crying At Brother's Grave / Peter Obi Hails Kanu’s Release, Demands Freedom For Other Agitators

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.