Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,363 members, 7,864,692 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 01:24 AM

Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) (2138 Views)

US Imposes Sanctions On Iranian Steel And Other Metals / Uk Appoints Minister Of Suicide Prevention / Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On Newly-built Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by Explorers(m): 9:31pm On Apr 14, 2017
It going to hurt if you jump on the net.

Forbidding steel nets meant to deter jumpers with threat of injury.

The Golden Gate Bridge is getting upgraded with a set of hard steel nets meant to deter and prevent jumpers from taking their own lives.

Work on the $200million project began with a Thursday ceremony at the iconic San Francisco landmark, and is projected to take four years.

An estimated 1,500 people have jumped to their deaths from the bridge since it opened in 1937.

In 2016 alone, 36 people died.

'People would ask, "Isn’t that a lot of money for a net?"' House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, who represents Sand Francisco, said at the ceremony, KCBS reported.'And we would say no, it’s not a lot of money for a life, for all of these lives,' she said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/14/us/golden-gate-bridge-net-trnd/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4412396/Golden-Gate-Bridge-steel-suicide-prevention-nets.html

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by Explorers(m): 9:32pm On Apr 14, 2017
$200m Project, 'We would say no, it’s not a lot of money for a life, for all of these lives,' said House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (standing) at a ceremony on Thursday.

1 Like

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:33pm On Apr 14, 2017
Nigeria and 3rd mainland bridge should do the same... Even if just a cheap wire fence

1 Like

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by Nobody: 9:35pm On Apr 14, 2017
Easy.....jump to the net then make a second jumb to the water......dead. tongue

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by cyojunior1(m): 9:42pm On Apr 14, 2017
Can we also achieve the same thing on our own third mainland bridge ?

Some frustrated Nigerians are still planning to jump into dat water.
Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by decatalyst(m): 9:50pm On Apr 14, 2017
MrBrownJay1:
Nigeria and 3rd mainland bridge should do the same... Even if just a cheap wire fence

Make we go spend $200m on top safe net to protect someone that voluntarily wanna die? shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:56pm On Apr 14, 2017
decatalyst:

Make we go spend $200m on top safe net to protect someone that voluntarily wanna die? shocked shocked

Until that person is a close parent/relation/friend of yours, you will never understand the issue.

A metallic wire fence will not cost that much.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by decatalyst(m): 10:05pm On Apr 14, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

Until that person is a close parent/relation/friend of yours, you will never understand the issue.

A metallic wire fence will not cost that much.

See, we have more pressing issues at hand than spending $200m on iron wire mesh! What happened to equipping the hospitals and paying the pensioners?

2 Likes

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by Explorers(m): 10:10pm On Apr 14, 2017
jagugu88li:

Jumping on the net will give a severe injury, making it difficult to make another jump due to the injury.

That will scare them from jumping on the net.

2 Likes

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:20pm On Apr 14, 2017
decatalyst:

See, we have more pressing issues at hand than spending $200m on iron wire mesh! What happened to equipping the hospitals and paying the pensioners?

The above can be done, AS WELL as fencing 3rd mainland bridge. If you think that there is only $200M left in the gov coffers then that is your 1st mistake

Thinking that NO money is invested in hospitals, or that therefore NONE should be invested in road and public safety... that's your 2nd mistake.

And finally, not understanding that having such metallic fence will prevent overworked doctors (or unpaid pensioners) to commit suicide there, is your final mistake.

6 Likes

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by decatalyst(m): 11:02pm On Apr 14, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

The above can be done, AS WELL as fencing 3rd mainland bridge. If you think that there is only $200M left in the gov coffers then that is your 1st mistake

Thinking that NO money is invested in hospitals, or that therefore NONE should be invested in road and public safety... that's your 2nd mistake.

And finally, not understanding that having such metallic fence will prevent overworked doctors (or unpaid pensioners) to commit suicide there, is your final mistake.

Young man, the ultimate "mistake" you are making is that you are not holistically looking at all angles of the the argument for the existence of the fence or not, in Nigeria. Even a country so "buoyant" or with manageable debt profile can't just churn out that huge amount without outcry against such spending.

Now tell me, is it jumping from the bridge the only way people have committed suicide? Your argument hold no water, to say the least!

From an utilitarian point of view, a death is preferable to "so many" deaths in avoidable circumstances.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by decatalyst(m): 11:09pm On Apr 14, 2017
Explorers:
$200m Project, 'We would say no, it’s not a lot of money for a life, for all of these lives,' said House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (standing) at a ceremony on Thursday.

@MrBrownJay1
Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by MrBrownJay1(m): 11:13pm On Apr 14, 2017
decatalyst:

Young man, the ultimate "mistake" you are making is that you are not holistically looking at all angles of the the argument for the existence of the fence or not, in Nigeria. Even a country so "buoyant" or with manageable debt profile can't just churn out that huge amount without outcry against such spending.

Now tell me, is it jumping from the bridge the only way people have committed suicide? Your argument hold no water, to say the least!

From an utilitarian point of view, a death is preferable to "so many" deaths in avoidable circumstances.

Thank you.

Again, there is a budget each year allocated to different ministries of the gov, in order for them to make citizen's life better. Expecting all the allocated budget for the ministry of road transport and bridges to be added to education/health, just because YOU feel there is a bigger need there, is the WRONG way to go about this issue.

If you think that many are dying because of such budget allocation, then complain to the proper channel (aka the gov), so that more funds will be given to the ministry of education/health.

3 Likes

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by tk4rd: 5:51am On Apr 15, 2017
jagugu88li:
grin grin
Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by tk4rd: 5:54am On Apr 15, 2017
Explorers:

Jumping on the net will give a severe injury, making it difficult to make another jump due to the injury.

That will scare them from jumping on the net.
If the person really wanted to die, he will roll and roll and roll in pain, and get off the net
Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by daveP(m): 6:52am On Apr 15, 2017
these americans have done eveqything possible with cash and nothing left again to do than to start spending on 'fantasies'

days ago it was largest warship, now 200milla?

is this the climax of a 'satisfied human society'?
Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by decatalyst(m): 7:43am On Apr 15, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

Again, there is a budget each year allocated to different ministries of the gov, in order for them to make citizen's life better. Expecting all the allocated budget for the ministry of road transport and bridges to be added to education/health, just because YOU feel there is a bigger need there, is the WRONG way to go about this issue.

If you think that many are dying because of such budget allocation, then complain to the proper channel (aka the gov), so that more funds will be given to the ministry of education/health.

No need to wrestle with you in your fallacious arguments and rebuttals.

However, happiness of one can never equate to the happiness of two. An action should be carried out if it gives the majority "maximum" happiness.

1 Like

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:55am On Apr 15, 2017
decatalyst:

No need to wrestle with you in your fallacious arguments and rebuttals.

However, happiness of one can never equate to the happiness of two. An action should be carried out if it gives the majority "maximum" happiness.

Even if 99% of the Nigerian population foolishly think like you do, there is a way to get it done.
I am here educating you on how to achieve what you desire, and instead of THANKING ME, here you are writing more nonsense. Oh lawd, Nigerians and their mumu way of thinking, always wanting yo cut corner and never wanting to follow "the law".

1 Like

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by flyca: 2:30pm On Apr 15, 2017
MrBrown, how many rivers do you want to protect in Nigeria? Even if you project 3rd Mainland and the other ones, people wey wan die go still find em way. Lol

I agree with decatalyst though. Threre are more pressing needs in the country currently that spending $200M. Govt should use the money and address basic needs that are causing the sucide jumps.
Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by MrBrownJay1(m): 2:45pm On Apr 15, 2017
^^^ but of course, the gov should spend ALL the money in its coffers to build schools/hospitals and disregard anything else. Arrant nonsense!

And here is a clue: 3rd mainland bridge is a hotspot for suicide, therefore something must be done to A) save the desperate people not to jump from there and B) to make sure commuters are not delayed even further into their lengthy journey, due to suicide victims (we all know how this create more traffic jams)

And again, if it was your sibling, parents or close acquaintances, you would be glad that the 3rd mainland bridge had a metallic fence to counter suicide

1 Like

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by decatalyst(m): 4:45pm On Apr 15, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

Even if 99% of the Nigerian population foolishly think like you do, there is a way to get it done.
I am here educating you on how to achieve what you desire, and instead of THANKING ME, here you are writing more nonsense. Oh lawd, Nigerians and their mumu way of thinking, always wanting yo cut corner and never wanting to follow "the law".

Since you wanna trade insults...I guess I have to let you be.

You just spew a bit of the trash you have upstairs and it is so shameful. Wondering how your immediate family cope with not especially when you do not respec other people's opinions. Mind you, ain't part of those mumu or foolish individuals you can lecture on this topic. Shove it back into ur self!

Egoistic ignoramus.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:25pm On Apr 15, 2017
decatalyst:

Since you wanna trade insults...I guess I have to let you be.

You just spew a bit of the trash you have upstairs and it is so shameful. Wondering how your immediate family cope with not especially when you do not respec other people's opinions. Mind you, ain't part of those mumu or foolish individuals you can lecture on this topic. Shove it back into ur self!

Egoistic ignoramus.

Accept my apologies if my wording offended you, that wasn't the aim... But how can I correctly point out someone not so smart or lacking intelligence who doesn't understand how gov allocate funds to different ministries, thus cluelessly barking at the wrong tree?!

1 Like

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by decatalyst(m): 6:59pm On Apr 15, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

Accept my apologies if my wording offended you, that wasn't the aim... But how can I correctly point out someone not so smart or lacking intelligence who doesn't understand how gov allocate funds to different ministries, thus cluelessly barking at the wrong tree?!

Oh yes! You must be senile and your logical thinking capabilities obviously has been fatally affected.

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by magabounce(m): 9:36am On Apr 16, 2017
@decatalyst
@MrBrownJay1
Abeg naaaa
I de Church wait lemme close grin grin grin grin
Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by Nobody: 9:14am On Apr 17, 2017
MrBrownJay1:
Nigerians as we know them will take wire cutter to vandalise the nets and sell them

2 Likes

Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:18pm On Apr 17, 2017
MoltenMagma:

Nigerians as we know them will take wire cutter to vandalise the nets and sell them

You are probably right, but just because a few heartless bastard criminals may vandalise the net, doesn't mean the gov shouldn't do what is right and invest in securing the bridge. That would be as crazy as saying that since a few don't want to study and rather do Yahoo-Yahoo or armed robbery, we shouldn't invest in schools.
Re: Golden Gate Bridge To Get Steel Suicide Prevention Net(photos) by MrBONE2(m): 3:09pm On Apr 21, 2017
3rd Mainland Bridge come to mind. grin

(1) (Reply)

Photos: I Killed Princess Diana On The Order Of The Uk Royal Family – Mi5 Agent / President Trump Visits His Border Wall Prototype Between U.S. And Mexico(Photos) / Obama Breaks Tradition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.