Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,793 members, 7,824,313 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People (1669 Views)

Aerial View Of Warri City Delta State (pictures) / From The Streets Of Warri To Finland: My Story / 7 Attitudes You Should Have On Lagos Roads If You Are Relocating To Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by Rapmoney(m): 1:12am On Apr 15, 2017
Warri, a town in Delta State; Delta-Central, to be precise, is the home of many Nigerian comedians - I Go Dye, Ali Baba, AY, I Go Save, Akpororo, etc. Though, it is not the state capital but it is more popular than Asaba, the state capital. Even people who are from places like Sapele, Ughelli, Udu, Oghara, Agbaroh, etc, will not hesitate to claim that they are from Warri immediately they enter another state or region.

There are some collective attitudes of the people that make the city a unique one. Below are some of them:

1) MOST PEOPLE TALK VERY FAST HERE: Yes, you will need to pay more attention to understand what people are saying if you are a new-comer. The average Warri person talks very fast. Waffarians don't speak pidgin English, they rap it!!!

2) WORDS ARE HARDLY COMPLETED BY SPEAKERS: Don't expect Warri folks to complete words when they make statements! "Bra" means "brother". "Gi me" means "give me". "Mo dey go" means "make we dey go". "Gi yan" means "give am" grin

3) PEOPLE HARDLY SPEAK THEIR LOCAL LANGUAGES: Warri inhabitants cut across all Nigerian nationalities, though, the major tribes here are Urhobos, Ijaws and Itsekiris. For the many ethnic groups to communicate freely, Pidgin English became the adopted language. There is 95% possibility that any child born in Warri will not be able to speak his/her local language.

4) PEOPLE EXPECT VEHICLES TO STOP FOR THEM WHEN THEY CROSS ROADS: Most Waffarians cross road with "style" and "swag"; especially, the young ladies. When you sound your horn for them, you will hear "You no dey see" but if na cow dey come, dem go run 440!!! grin

5) BUMSHORTS MEAN NOTHING TO THE GIRLS HERE: I don waka go so many places but ah never see wia bumshorts use hand and belle take touch ground before as e be for Warri. Young women wear bumshorts freely in Warri; even to public places like banks, markets and on the road...and na for korokoro day-time I dey tell una so! Come and see different sizes and shapes of what nature has blessed people's daughters with. Chai!!! Mr JJC, no go spend ur monthly salary on top Ewomazino backa o! grin

6) THEY ACCOMMODATE PEOPLE A LOT: There's always a misconception that Warri people are hostile; it is not true. Waffarians are a set of people that accommodate everyone irrespective of ethnic background. That's why the city accommodates people from all nationalities in Nigeria. It is believed that no matter your tribe, once you are born and raised in Warri, you are a true Warri blood.

7) MOST YOUNG MEN HERE LOVE BIG LIFE: After applying 40 Naira cold-water starch on his shirt, with 200 in his pocket for a bottle of Goldberg, Warri boy will be like: "Make ah hammer first, na 30 billion for the account" grin

8. PEOPLE USE SLANGS TO COMMUNICATE HERE: Until you have been baptized and anointed to understand Warfi slangs, you might easily get confused when people communicate here because slangs are invented on daily basis! For instance, to "rotate" means to go somewhere or leave a place. "Guy, na to rotate oh"! cool

9) WHEN GUNSHOT SOUNDS ARE HEARD, PEOPLE COME OUTSIDE INSTEAD OF TAKING COVER: Waffarians are very curious when they hear gunshots. They want to know who made the shots, why and where. Even children here can detect the sound of various guns! Area!!! U go hear "Shuo! Dat na dry kala na. E be like say na deh Ejiro area deh shoot dah one so o!"

10) EVERYONE IS A "CHAIRMAN": It is only in Warri that you will see a man driving Toyota Venza or Acura ZDX, calling and greeting a brick-layer "My oga" smiley My guy, all na washy! grin This is normally done to escape being asked to drop "something". Warfi no dey carry last...if e too mush, e go end for draw grin

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by omonighoblessing(f): 1:57am On Apr 15, 2017
grin
Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by ichommy(m): 2:38am On Apr 15, 2017
grin Warri no dey carry last.

Rapmoney U don show face Again.

I ate Starch and Owo Soup on Sunday evening kon wash am down with Hebron water.

#Teamlikeurhobo

#Futureurhoboinlaw wink

#ethiopeWest

1 Like

Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by Destined2win: 4:06am On Apr 15, 2017
ichommy:

#Teamlikeurhobo

#Futureurhoboinlaw wink

#ethiopeWest
What's this? It doesn't look appetizing at all
Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by Destined2win: 4:08am On Apr 15, 2017
11. 80% talk like agboro
Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by jared007: 7:28am On Apr 15, 2017
Rapmoney edit ur write up. Warri is in delta south not delta central
Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by Nobody: 7:38am On Apr 15, 2017
jared007:
Kari-talk.. The larger Warri Metropolis cuts across parts of Delta Central too
Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by Rapmoney(m): 8:20am On Apr 15, 2017
ichommy:

#Teamlikeurhobo

#Futureurhoboinlaw wink

#ethiopeWest
I sight u my guy! wink Chai! See Ogwo soup o! grin

1 Like

Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by Rapmoney(m): 8:22am On Apr 15, 2017
ALKARULEZZ:

Kari-talk.. The larger Warri Metropolis cuts across parts of Delta Central too
Thank you! He should know that places like Okumagba are part of Delta Central.

1 Like

Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by Nicho118(m): 10:26am On Apr 15, 2017
Rapmoney:
Thank you! He should know that places like Okumagba are part of Delta Central.
actually.. okumagba is in delta south not central
Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by Nicho118(m): 10:28am On Apr 15, 2017
jared007:
yes.. the MAIN warri is in delta south but Effurun,udu,Ekpan, Enerhen which are in warri metropolis are in delta central.
Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by Nicho118(m): 10:30am On Apr 15, 2017
Area! #ProudlyWaffarian #ProudlyUrhobo
Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by Nicho118(m): 10:32am On Apr 15, 2017
number 3 is absolutely correct and it's really killing our dialect (urhobo)
Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by Nicho118(m): 10:40am On Apr 15, 2017
ichommy:

#Teamlikeurhobo
#Futureurhoboinlaw wink
#ethiopeWest
oniovo.. u just find my belle trouble dis morning o
Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by mrjaybaba(m): 10:44am On Apr 15, 2017
I hail oooooooo

1 Like

Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by ichommy(m): 11:10am On Apr 15, 2017
Nicho118:
oniovo.. u just find my belle trouble dis morning o

wink
Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by KINGTELLER: 4:07pm On Apr 15, 2017
OP... You no put. warri men too dey flirt..and 80% of them dey drink like fish...If u are a lady don't let warri man lure you into impregnating you before tying the knot, else OYO naa ur case....

1 Like

Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by Rapmoney(m): 4:32pm On Apr 15, 2017
KINGTELLER:
OP... You no put. warri men too dey flirt..and 80% of them dey drink like fish...If u are a lady don't let warri man lure you into impregnating you before tying the knot, else OYO naa ur case....
If deh give u belle, u go pray make ur first pikin no reach 400L for school before deh go pay bride price.
Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by KINGTELLER: 4:54pm On Apr 15, 2017
Rapmoney:
If deh give u belle, u go pray make ur first pikin no reach 400L for school before deh go pay bride price.
No be lie my broda...lol
Re: Made In Warri: 10 Unique Attitudes Of Warri People by Ariadne: 9:57pm On Apr 15, 2017
Warri no dey ever carry last. They speak pidgin on another level cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Ever Been To Costa Rica? / 20 New Coaches Arrive For Nigerian Railways: Lagos-Ibadan, Abuja-Kaduna / Air Peace Rejects Uk's Deal, Wants Heathrow Or Nothing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.