Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,462 members, 7,830,306 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting (23659 Views)

12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance / Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know / 7 Common English Phrases You're Probably Using Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by olu77(m): 8:53am On Apr 16, 2017
I once heard a proffesor on TV saying "birds of the same feathers flock together" instead of

"Birds of a feather flock together"

Thanks for sharing @ Op

1 Like

Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by Crixina(f): 8:55am On Apr 16, 2017
Op, cutting those phrases short gives another meaning which, as you have pointed out in some are the opposite of the complete phrase, so I think it serves both ways, if you want to mean anything either ways, you choose the one that best suits what you want to say.

Blood is thicker than water- to express familial love or something.
The blood of covenant.....is thicker....the womb...to express it the other way.

1 Like

Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by thinkmoney(m): 9:11am On Apr 16, 2017
Very educative. Thank u
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by Nobody: 9:13am On Apr 16, 2017
No.2........I wasn't aware.

Big up op

Trust me to share..............as if I had known all along grin tongue
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by ahamonyeka(m): 9:18am On Apr 16, 2017
wink ;DOnly difference between pekere and plantain chips na packaging.

The right way of saying it: the different between pekere and plantain chips is the packaging.
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by Adek15(m): 9:26am On Apr 16, 2017
MsDelilah:
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Nigerians are fond of turning it the other way around.
you are probably right but why can't I have my cake and eat it? who would stop me?
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by Bontia(m): 9:27am On Apr 16, 2017
Informing.
ItuExchange:

7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting

That doesn't mean what you think it means.

It's an ancient tradition - words of wisdom passed down in short phrases from one generation to the next. The problem with this is that sometimes, things get switched around and the original meaning is lost. We often misquote famous phrases without even knowing it. In fact, do you know that the most famous misquote is from "Apollo 13"?

Thankfully, we have the internet; where there is always someone there to fact check you. These phrases look a little different when you get to see the whole picture.

1. Blood is thicker than water.
The full saying is actually “the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.” Basically, it means exactly the opposite of what most people think. It refers to the idea that the bonds you choose to make can mean much more to you than the ones you were born into and don’t have much of a say in.

2. Curiosity killed the cat.
This phrase continues: “but satisfaction brought it back.” This makes sense, considering the whole idea that cats get nine lives. I often heard the first half when I was little and asking too many questions, but the full phrase suggest that there is no such thing as too many questions.

3. A jack of all trades is a master of none.
This saying got cut short as well and originally said “A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.” Unlike what our version would lead you to believe, having multiple interests but not being an expert in anything could actually prove advantageous.

4. Great minds think alike.
“Small minds rarely differ” is the following line to this once reassuring quote. I would advise you try not to think about that too much the next time you and your classmates are on a roll with your group project, sometimes phrases get cut short for good reason.

5. Money is the root of all evil.
Again, the original version is a little longer. This biblical phrase originally reads “The love of money is the root of all sorts of evil.” There’s a difference in making more money than you could possibly spend and keeping it.

6. My country, right or wrong.
This is often used to justify supporting bad wars, the original actually says “My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong to be set right.” This puts the responsibility on the citizen to make sure their country is a good one, not the other way around.

7. Starve a cold, feed a fever.
I’ve only heard this a couple times and it could have multiple meanings just by reading it differently. Not only is it terrible advice, it’s poorly quoted. The original states “if you starve a cold, you’ll have to feed a fever.” Now, that’s advice I can take to heart.

Source: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1Y6oNH/:1vW@GYZ3G:WGwv-02W/www.theodysseyonline.com/7-phrases-youve-been-misquoting

Perfect Money/Payeer here: www..com.ng
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by jericco1(m): 9:39am On Apr 16, 2017
Noted
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by Nobody: 9:43am On Apr 16, 2017
deeMarc:
cool Ayamatanga in that old mount Zion movie which is really "I AM AT ANGER " grin grin

is dis really true?
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by holocron: 10:38am On Apr 16, 2017
OldBeer:
Bless you for this.
I thought I was the only sane person who knew the correct phrase.

Are you serious?

"You cant eat your cake and have it" is not a Nigerian thing at all, but is part of normal english usage. The fact is that there are two classical versions of this proverb, as used by the English people themselves. Check wikipedia entry:

The order of the clauses in the saying has been the subject of some debate, and was even used in forensic linguistics (contributing to the identification and arrest of the so-called Unabomber[7]).

An early recording of the phrase is in a letter on 14 March 1538 from Thomas, Duke of Norfolk, to Thomas Cromwell, as "a man can not have his cake and eat his cake".[8]

The phrase occurs with the clauses reversed in John Heywood's "A dialogue Conteinyng the Nomber in Effect of All the Prouerbes in the Englishe Tongue" from 1546, as "wolde you bothe eate your cake, and have your cake?".[9] In John Davies' "Scourge of Folly" of 1611, the same order is used, as "A man cannot eat his cake and haue it stil."[10] In Jonathan Swift's 1738 farce "Polite Conversation", the character Lady Answerall says "she cannot eat her cake and have her cake."[11]

The order was reversed again in a posthumous adaptation of "Polite Conversation" in 1749, "Tittle Tattle; or, Taste A-la-Mode", as "And she cannot have her Cake and eat her Cake."[12][13][14] From 1812 (R. C. Knopf's "Document Transcriptions of War of 1812" (1959) VI. 204) is a modern-sounding recording as "We cannot have our cake and eat it too."[15]

According to the Google Ngram Viewer, the eat-first order was more common until about 1935, since which time the have-first order has become much more popular
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by TheABOMINATION: 10:54am On Apr 16, 2017
jidxin:
experience is the best teacher has bin cut off too. the complete one is ... EXPERIENCE IS THE BEST TEACHER FOR A FOOL

Thank you jare.

This is the first time I am seeing this correction. But I have always believed that the common statement was incorrect, because of the saying that 'A fool only learns from his experience, but an intelligent person also learns from the experience of others'.
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by TheABOMINATION: 11:08am On Apr 16, 2017
Crixina:
Op, cutting those phrases short gives another meaning which, as you have pointed out in some are the opposite of the complete phrase, so I think it serves both ways, if you want to mean anything either ways, you choose the one that best suits what you want to say.

Blood is thicker than water- to express familial love or something.
The blood of covenant.....is thicker....the womb...to express it the other way.

Blood is thicker than water is a nonsensical proverb. Proverbs usually relate to / symbolize their meaning, either literally or otherwise.

But if blood symbolizes the relation of family, water does not symbolize or relate to the bond of friendship.

On the other hand, the blood of covenant directly symbolizes the bond of friendship, and the water of the womb directly symbolizes family relation.
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by TheABOMINATION: 11:16am On Apr 16, 2017
MsDelilah:

In the case of this proverb turning it the other way around doesn't change it's meaning.

'You can't eat your cake and also have it' is correct aswell.

It is simply a matter of whichever you prefer to use, since they both have the same meaning.

The proverb is saying you have to choose one of the two, and not that it is impossible for you to eat your cake as long as you have.
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by Emeraldz(f): 11:21am On Apr 16, 2017
Op. Nice one. Really educational
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by drexx(m): 12:59pm On Apr 16, 2017
thesicilian:
Knowledge is good, for with knowledge comes the ability to make informed decisions. Having now known the original phrase & meaning of the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb, I still prefer the latter version blood is thicker than water. For to me, there is no greater bond than that which binds a family together, from personal experience.
Just like I believe the phrase You can't eat your cake and have it makes more sense in all ramifications than the one that is generally accepted to be correct: You can't have your cake and eat it. (For heaven's sake, why can't I eat what I have?)
I beg to differ......family bonds being strong is relative and a product of so many factors............Blood is not always thicker o........Personal experience though
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by shirgles(m): 1:02pm On Apr 16, 2017
Nice one op
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by thesicilian: 1:24pm On Apr 16, 2017
thesicilian:
from personal experience.

drexx:
I beg to differ...........Personal experience though
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by Rainmaker69(m): 2:39pm On Apr 16, 2017
1-4 are not correct. What Op has supplied in the case of 1-4 are common rejoinders to the popular sayings.
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by Nobody: 3:49pm On Apr 16, 2017
OldBeer:
Bless you for this.
I thought I was the only sane person who knew the correct phrase.

Because you know a phrase makes you sane abi.....Ya mad, they've not just told you yet....
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by professore(m): 4:15pm On Apr 16, 2017
Words change meanings over time.
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by kristian98(m): 4:42pm On Apr 16, 2017
ItuExchange:

7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting

That doesn't mean what you think it means.

It's an ancient tradition - words of wisdom passed down in short phrases from one generation to the next. The problem with this is that sometimes, things get switched around and the original meaning is lost. We often misquote famous phrases without even knowing it. In fact, do you know that the most famous misquote is from "Apollo 13"?

Thankfully, we have the internet; where there is always someone there to fact check you. These phrases look a little different when you get to see the whole picture.

1. Blood is thicker than water.
The full saying is actually “the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.” Basically, it means exactly the opposite of what most people think. It refers to the idea that the bonds you choose to make can mean much more to you than the ones you were born into and don’t have much of a say in.

2. Curiosity killed the cat.
This phrase continues: “but satisfaction brought it back.” This makes sense, considering the whole idea that cats get nine lives. I often heard the first half when I was little and asking too many questions, but the full phrase suggest that there is no such thing as too many questions.

3. A jack of all trades is a master of none.
This saying got cut short as well and originally said “A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.” Unlike what our version would lead you to believe, having multiple interests but not being an expert in anything could actually prove advantageous.

4. Great minds think alike.
“Small minds rarely differ” is the following line to this once reassuring quote. I would advise you try not to think about that too much the next time you and your classmates are on a roll with your group project, sometimes phrases get cut short for good reason.

5. Money is the root of all evil.
Again, the original version is a little longer. This biblical phrase originally reads “The love of money is the root of all sorts of evil.” There’s a difference in making more money than you could possibly spend and keeping it.

6. My country, right or wrong.
This is often used to justify supporting bad wars, the original actually says “My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong to be set right.” This puts the responsibility on the citizen to make sure their country is a good one, not the other way around.

7. Starve a cold, feed a fever.
I’ve only heard this a couple times and it could have multiple meanings just by reading it differently. Not only is it terrible advice, it’s poorly quoted. The original states “if you starve a cold, you’ll have to feed a fever.” Now, that’s advice I can take to heart.

Source: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1Y6oNH/:1vW@GYZ3G:WGwv-02W/www.theodysseyonline.com/7-phrases-youve-been-misquoting

Perfect Money/Payeer here: www..com.ng
op pls i need your help. Whenever i try opening stumbleupon on my pc or phone, it tell me connection error. Can u offer me any help on this
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by SAINTHUD(m): 5:16pm On Apr 16, 2017
magnificently written
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by Freeezzz(m): 5:24pm On Apr 16, 2017
MsDelilah:

O ti je iyan ni isu. Loosely translated as; he had his pounded-yam as yam.
cool
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by jidxin(m): 6:40pm On Apr 16, 2017
TheABOMINATION:

Thank you jare.

This is the first time I am seeing this correction. But I have always believed that the common statement was incorrect, because of the saying that 'A fool only learns from his experience, but an intelligent person also learns from the experience of others'.
information I think is still d best teacher
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by Larrylarex(m): 6:43pm On Apr 16, 2017
deeMarc:
cool Ayamatanga in that old mount Zion movie which is really "I AM AT ANGER " grin grin
This one weak me... for 22 years, na today I just dey know o!
Re: 7 Phrases You've Been Misquoting by shumuel(m): 6:48pm On Apr 16, 2017
thesicilian:
Knowledge is good, for with knowledge comes the ability to make informed decisions. Having now known the original phrase & meaning of the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb, I still prefer the latter version blood is thicker than water. For to me, there is no greater bond than that which binds a family together, from personal experience.
Just like I believe the phrase You can't eat your cake and have it makes more sense in all ramifications than the one that is generally accepted to be correct: You can't have your cake and eat it. (For heaven's sake, why can't I eat what I have?)

God bless you jare, though the seven mentioned by the OP is correct but not all phrases were wrongly adopted.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

UNN Re-Opens For Normal Academic Activities? / Collated Pictures Of The Great Obafemi Awolowo University / Senate Moves To Scrap Post-UTME

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.