Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,981 members, 7,952,951 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:02 AM

4 Implications Of The Recent Increase In Airtime Voucher Prices - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 4 Implications Of The Recent Increase In Airtime Voucher Prices (680 Views)

2017 Results: FBN Holdings Reports Massive 178% Increase In Profits / Business Profit And Consumer Income To Increase In 2018 – FSDH / Tin Can Records 150% Increase In Agro Exports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Implications Of The Recent Increase In Airtime Voucher Prices by odimbannamdi(m): 8:37pm On Apr 16, 2017
We must have noticed that telecommunication companies have increased the prices of airtime vouchers.

The implication is a corresponding increase in the retail prices such that they have now exceeded the round-figure price and, depending on the voucher denomination, a 10 - 50naira addition have been made to the price of each unit.

This post aims at detailing the various ramifications this new development will have:

1. More realization of the present economic recession: The common man on the street better understands what recession is when the prices of commonly consumed items increases.

Airtime vouchers, the second most selling commodity in Nigeria, is consumed by both the rich and the poor. But while the increment may seem insignificant to the rich, it means a lot to the struggling Nigerian and will make him further realize how battered the economy is now.

You will start hearing things like “even ordinary credit don put money” at argument centres

2. Increased profit margin for the retailers: Irrespective of how bad a situation may seem, there are actually people who profits from it.

Dont be surprise that the “increase” we are talking about here may not be more than 5naira in the bulk price of the vouchers. But trust the typical Nigerian attitude of exploiting a situation to the fullest. At least a 10naira has been added to cover up for the 5naira increase.

More Profit for retailers!

3. Increased patronage of Virtual Top-Up (VTU): This basically means crediting your airtime balance using avenues like your bank account, POS, etc.

This is the alternative most enlightened airtime voucher consumers would resort to and the profit would go to the big operators of the VTU avenues.

Before, i wouldn’t mind inconveniencing myself just to patronize airtime sellers on the street than recharging from my bank account because i know i would be helping to put food on the table of the sellers.

But with the present increase in price, i do mind now, plus the added advantage of convenience.

4. Ultimately, possible increase in prices of some goods and services: The economy is a round table where you make money “here” and spend it “there”. Airtime is a pivotal aspect of EVERY business and its increase in price is very likely to have a cascading effect on the price of certain goods and services.
Re: 4 Implications Of The Recent Increase In Airtime Voucher Prices by odimbannamdi(m): 8:39pm On Apr 16, 2017
CC: Puskin
FOD
Dominique
Naijacutee
Re: 4 Implications Of The Recent Increase In Airtime Voucher Prices by divinehand2003(m): 8:48pm On Apr 16, 2017
Rice increased, Nigerians dey shout

Garri increased to the extent that Indians started importing garri to Naija, we begin dey hala,

Now we dey hear say DSTv, GoTv, even airtime wan increase based on Logistics, therefore na die we dey so ooooo
Re: 4 Implications Of The Recent Increase In Airtime Voucher Prices by AutoReportNG: 9:06pm On Apr 16, 2017
Well said bro... I have resort to bank's VTU too... Imagine a card of 1000 now 1050 and 200 now 220...

Its well oo
Re: 4 Implications Of The Recent Increase In Airtime Voucher Prices by odimbannamdi(m): 9:25pm On Apr 16, 2017
AutoReportNG:
Well said bro... I have resort to bank's VTU too... Imagine a card of 1000 now 1050 and 200 now 220...

Its well oo

Me too. I do bank VTU now. We must survive!
Re: 4 Implications Of The Recent Increase In Airtime Voucher Prices by odimbannamdi(m): 9:27pm On Apr 16, 2017
divinehand2003:
Rice increased, Nigerians dey shout

Garri increased to the extent that Indians started importing garri to Naija, we begin dey hala,

Now we dey hear say DSTv, GoTv, even airtime wan increase based on Logistics, therefore na die we dey so ooooo

As in eh! I fear for Nigeria. Na just for person to up him game regarding his source of income
Re: 4 Implications Of The Recent Increase In Airtime Voucher Prices by BiafranBushBoy: 9:58pm On Apr 16, 2017
Let's wait for the APC supporters to tell us how GEJ caused it.

Lol... Stupid cuntryyy

(1) (Reply)

Oil Mogul, Tunde Folawiyo’s Firm & Ascon Oil In $270m Forex Scam / Awoof Tips For Andriod Users #money Hacks / How To Start Up Bet9ja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.