Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,531 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

Abia-China $1.5b Shoe Factory Deal... Nigerians React/ Criticize [PICS] - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Abia-China $1.5b Shoe Factory Deal... Nigerians React/ Criticize [PICS] (416 Views)

Pictures Of Aba Automated Shoe Factory, Best In Nigeria – Technical Partner / Ikpeazu Visits The New Aba Shoe Factory (Photos) / Aba: The First Automated Shoe Factory In Nigeria Set To Be Launched (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Abia-China $1.5b Shoe Factory Deal... Nigerians React/ Criticize [PICS] by donnie(m): 2:31pm On Apr 17, 2017
See this sensible post from a friend of mine plus reactions from Nigerians...

Abia secures $1.5b shoe factory deal from China...

Am I too excited?..

I know our Gov means well cos he believes this would develop the shoe business in Aba but the detail of the deal tells that an 'investor' known for shoe production is making this investment; meaning he would deploy his own automated factory and perhaps 'employ' workers for the shoe business. This would definetly create jobs in its thousands (may be)..but will it help the shoe artisans (small enterpreneurs) or wipe them (cos they can't compete)?

I would have advised that govt focused on...

1) Massive infrastructure revolution (ofcourse source funds for that)..eg roads. People need to access Aba to see, buy and even invest.
2) Possibly negotiate with Geometrics on provision of steady or near-steady power supply for the Bakassi line or any designated industrial area and possibly subsidize the bills. I said possibly.
3) Negotiate with the Fed to encourage the agencies to order their boots, shoes etc from Aba. Even construction companies. Just like Peter Obi got GEJ to buy Innoson vehicles in the SureP initiative, Anambra bought Innoson buses for schools, The SUVs for traditional rulers and hospitals and the pickup vans for vigilante groups and communities. He also got some states to do same. Demand creation.
4) Ensure security (whatever it takes) to ensure people feel safe to come, stay and do business in Aba.
5) organize trade fares to showcase Aba shoes.
6) Financiers will spring up and they will be funded to buy bigger machines and automate in various stages. Growth.
ETC

The talented shoe makers need to find an envirnoment to develop into big enterpreneurs and employers of labour, not to be employed as factory workers by one big competitor investor. Liken this to the Leventis of those days that only left 'mechanics' behind and not automobile company owners.

This is my small opinion and advice for my governor whom I think means well but needs to further analyze the details of this deal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abia-China $1.5b Shoe Factory Deal... Nigerians React/ Criticize [PICS] by donnie(m): 2:34pm On Apr 17, 2017
More reactions...

Re: Abia-China $1.5b Shoe Factory Deal... Nigerians React/ Criticize [PICS] by shaqhead: 2:35pm On Apr 17, 2017
Sensible post backed with valid points. This is actually. the wat to go in "criticising" our govt...state ur objection about certain policies but don't jst stop. there proffer reasonable alternative opinion why you believe we should go a different path..

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

A New Dawn: Capdan Launches Computer Village Identification Number Project / A-Z Of Paint Production / 5 Great Ways To Run Your Small Business Like A BIG Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.