Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,019 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

Quick Question On Roof Space Utility - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Quick Question On Roof Space Utility (7328 Views)

Roofing Tile Tiles Roof @ NIGERIA Stone Coated Roofing Sheet ROOF Tiles TILE ... / Roof Doctors Australia Provide Service For Repair Leak On Roof / See The Amount My Dad Used To Roof His Building (25yrs Ago) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Nobody: 9:47am On Apr 20, 2017
Truefederalism:

what is the frequency and velocity of their rain?

It doesn't matter.

The beauty of engineering is finding solutions to issues.

Slight concave curvature to the roof and directing water to adequately sized drains will solve any pooling of water issues. There are many flat roofs in Lagos/Ibadan.

Anyways, I've noticed that this thread is unfortunately on the front page so I'm out.

3 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by ihedioramma: 10:16am On Apr 20, 2017
jabolo:
Is there particular reason why our local architects don't specify the space between the roof rafters for additional rooms / storage or utilities? In other foreign climes, this is usually one cheap way of increasing the building acreage.

Happy to be educated.

See this example, lots of potential space ...
https://www.nairaland.com/3121761/step-step-construction-5-bedroom#45917596

How much can this cost?
Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Mrjo(m): 10:16am On Apr 20, 2017
jabolo:

Thanks Guys, and good to know there are examples out there in Nigeria.

To the extent you could share details/designs/photos etc, it would be appreciated by this forum.
no photo s we used wood to make the floor of some of them and concrete in some, then create window on the roof

1 Like

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by BRAINCRASH(m): 10:47am On Apr 20, 2017
There are many of such examples of rooms in roof scattered all over Abuja....the difference is the materials and method of construction......we Architects understand our clients.....Nigerians don't have maintenance culture....so in all designs and construction we think of readily available materials also considering the fact that the construction process will still have issues of corner-cutting......eve in the design of flat and slab roofs.....details are not usually followed.....those technical specifications that make such roofs work are seen as grammar and jargon that are just included to increase volume of sheets.....All the question by the OP are doable ....its just he factors that surround it that makes it the way it looks...

2 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 10:58am On Apr 20, 2017
KolaShangOne:
Our Architects do. That's why it's important to have a sit down with your Architect and tell him what you want and what you don't.

The major reason why Nigerians don't put living spaces in the roof is because of the WEATHER. Nigeria is very HOT.

We are talking between 27 to 35 degrees everyday. You won't even be able to breathe in the roof and you'll be sweating like the "Christmas goat"

As with home designs and living spaces, adaptability is the key word. we can't copy Europe bumper to bumper.

I hope this reply helps.
Not true! Utilisation of thermal efficient materials and construction techniques will fix every concern due to our hot climate .

1 Like

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Xtopher123(m): 11:55am On Apr 20, 2017
The thing is that a lot of clients really don't know about this idea. Believe me if they do, it'll be as a requirement in their brief and that would force the architect to implement it at the minimum cost possible.

There are vast materials In the industry that are thermal efficient.. it's practically doable here in our clime just that it's not been requested by clients..

Now it also comes down to the client's pocket and versatility...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by nextstep(m): 1:12pm On Apr 20, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I'm glad someone else brought it up because frankly, I was getting tired of folks thinking that Nigeria has a unique weather system.

Interestingly enough though, this high roof is not what we need in Nigeria. We need adobe type roofs in Arizona/Nevada/Spain and then we litter the tops with solar panels.

Except unlike those places, we are in the tropics with high humidity and rain that will ruin those walls. You need a roof overhang that throws water away from the wall, preventing water from hitting the top of the wall and seeping through. I suppose with a water tight seal on top and for the first foot, it can be done.

You also need a lot of space between ceiling and roof to deal with the high heat and humidity. We also used to have small holes in the wall just before the roof to circulate air, and it would help to have a whole-house fan to pull out hot air. Look at other tropical countries: Jamaica, Thailand, and you'll see roofing more similar to ours.

When I built recently with a flat roof, I left a gap of 1m between ceiling and roof, and then made small holes on two sides of the wall to help with air circulation. I plan to put a fan up there too. In that space we have some equipment as well as the tanker style water tank (which sits right above the bathroom so spills will drain into the shower area)

4 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by herrdeustch: 1:48pm On Apr 20, 2017
I saw the need for this type of space utilisation so I launched this a year ago. My FB page is https://www.facebook.com/VicdugavisRooftopStorageSolution/

2 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by jabolo(m): 2:51pm On Apr 20, 2017
herrdeustch:
I saw the need for this type of space utilisation so I launched this a year ago. My FB page is https://www.facebook.com/VicdugavisRooftopStorageSolution/

Good job!

This advert is very pertinent to the subject matter.

You need a proper website bro.

2 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Nobody: 3:31pm On Apr 20, 2017
nextstep:

Except unlike those places, we are in the tropics with high humidity and rain that will ruin those walls. You need a roof overhang that throws water away from the wall, preventing water from hitting the top of the wall and seeping through. I suppose with a water tight seal on top and for the first foot, it can be done.

You also need a lot of space between ceiling and roof to deal with the high heat and humidity. We also used to have small holes in the wall just before the roof to circulate air, and it would help to have a whole-house fan to pull out hot air. Look at other tropical countries: Jamaica, Thailand, and you'll see roofing more similar to ours.

When I built recently with a flat roof, I left a gap of 1m between ceiling and roof, and then made small holes on two sides of the wall to help with air circulation. I plan to put a fan up there too. In that space we have some equipment as well as the tanker style water tank (which sits right above the bathroom so spills will drain into the shower area)

South USA is very humid yet they manage to "git er done".

Every single excuse you gave as a con is easily overcome.

1 Like

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by Nobody: 3:34pm On Apr 20, 2017
herrdeustch:

Thanks for not sitting around making excuses but got up and started filling a need.

2 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by arkitekt: 4:31pm On Apr 20, 2017
It's also very important to consider it at design stage for durability, accessibility as well as services. Introducing it after the entire might compromise the integrity of the the roof because some roof trusses could be affected.

1 Like

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by herrdeustch: 8:06pm On Apr 20, 2017
arkitekt:
It's also very important to consider it at design stage for durability, accessibility as well as services. Introducing it after the entire might compromise the integrity of the the roof because some roof trusses could be affected.
I am a registered engineer and I also have a structural expert that I consult for any project. We advise on the maximum safe working load that your converted roof can carry based on your building after careful investigation. A good job is what we want. Safety First!

1 Like

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by jabolo(m): 4:02pm On Apr 21, 2017
herrdeustch:

I am a registered engineer and I also have a structural expert that I consult for any project. We advise on the maximum safe working load that your converted roof can carry based on your building after careful investigation. A good job is what we want. Safety First!

I wish you all the best in this.

I'll probably contact you with some details of the ongoing building work. Like I said, it will be a future retrofit (initially to liberate storage space) but your counsel would be important.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by herrdeustch: 9:08pm On Apr 21, 2017
jabolo:

I wish you all the best in this.

I'll probably contact you with some details of the ongoing building work. Like I said, it will be a future retrofit (initially to liberate storage space) but your counsel would be important.

Thanks.
Thank you. Looking forward .
Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by KolaShangOne(m): 11:54am On Apr 25, 2017
jabolo:

It sure does. Thanks for taking the time.

I'd welcome examples in Nigeria, I just have not seen any.

I was not actually thinking in terms of 'copying Europe bumper to bumper' but more of efficient use of space.

Arizona (US) is hotter than many places in Nigeria but you do find lofts (or, Attics) gainfully employed in buildings. I'm sure ventilation can be carefully planned and the roofing material chosen to reduce the heat effect.

In my case, the original designs have been passed, and construction is in earnest as costed according to the original BoFQ. I'm thinking the conversion could be retrofitted later so, like you say, I'll talk to my Architect about what measures to put in place now.

I don't know about the USA. but I checked online.Not one to argue much but let me give an example.

Bauchi in North Eastern Nigeria has a higher temperature than Lagos. But it's colder than Lagos cos of humidity.

t's like a place can be hot and still be cold.

Also HVAC systems work better there cos 24hrs power.

Re: Quick Question On Roof Space Utility by choclatoria(f): 10:07pm On Jan 13, 2018
We are a full service interior design company that provides all services,
Let's take the stress off you by handling your projects from FINISHING TO FURNISHING
We provide high end qualitative services that's affordable, 101% project delivery and client's satisfaction
Instagram ID: torrianprestigeinteriors
Call /WhatsApp: 08137676551

(1) (2) (Reply)

Very important Estate Management Topics we should know / Victory Park Estate, Osapa-london, Lekki. Few Plots Available / The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.