Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

Term Limit Is Undemocratic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Term Limit Is Undemocratic (566 Views)

Buhari: Close To A Billion Dollars Stolen Under Undemocratic Junta In The 1990s / COVID-19: Dino Melaye Says Buhari's Movement Ban Is Undemocratic / Buhari Campaign Organisation Reports Atiku To EU, AU Over ‘undemocratic Tendenci (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Term Limit Is Undemocratic by EVarn(m): 10:53pm On Apr 19, 2017
Setting limit to the number of times a person can be elected to a particular political office(especially in presidential systems of government) degrades continuity of critical policies and could hinder re-election of a preferred candidate simply because such an individual has exceeded the term limit; this is undemocratic,why not let the people decide how long a person can rule them?.
I think term limit should be removed and then executive immunity should also be removed in order to reduce the powers of political officials,as well as provide a check and balance whereby a political executive can be impeached by the judiciary in case of mismanagement of office.

Cc: Lalasticlala,Mynd44,OAM4J

Blue3k,GenBuhari,Proudlyngwa,777philosopher,miebacka.
Re: Term Limit Is Undemocratic by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:53am On Apr 20, 2017
EVarn:
Setting limit to the number of times a person can be elected to a particular political office(especially in presidential systems of government) degrades continuity of critical policies and could hinder re-election of a preferred candidate simply because such an individual has exceeded the term limit; this is undemocratic,why not let the people decide how long a person can rule them?.
I think term limit should be removed and then executive immunity should also be removed in order to reduce the powers of political officials,as well as provide a check and balance whereby a political executive can be impeached by the judiciary in case of mismanagement of office.

Cc: Lalasticlala,Mynd44,OAM4J

Blue3k,GenBuhari,Proudlyngwa,777philosopher,miebacka.

Evolution is a gradual process.
The Nigerian political terrain is peculiar because we were born into a parliamentary system, but metamorphosised into a presidential system, without putting the right structures and right mindset into place first.

Its too early to remove a time frame into executive elective positions, as ir will only cause more alignment and malignant of the highest order.

Remove term limit and immunity and see government in Nigeria go to the highest bidder.
Bottom line, what we need is mental reorientation to do the right things.
Re: Term Limit Is Undemocratic by Jaymaxxy(m): 9:03am On Apr 20, 2017
Brother, this is Africa. Our people are just after taking power and not interested in governance. Even when the constitution is clear about the number of terms, an Obasanjo still wanted a third term. In fact, I am an advocate of a single term. If you think Mr. A can do it, that doesn't mean Mr. B cannot. No one has a monopoly of knowledge.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Term Limit Is Undemocratic by EVarn(m): 9:09am On Apr 20, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Evolution is a gradual process.
The Nigerian political terrain is peculiar because we were born into a parliamentary system, but metamorphosised into a presidential system, without putting the right structures and right mindset into place first.

Its too early to remove a time frame into executive elective positions, as ir will only cause more alignment and malignant of the highest order.

Remove term limit and immunity and see government in Nigeria go to the highest bidder.
Bottom line, what we need is mental reorientation to do the right things.
True.
We need to decentralize/restructure our federalism(remove power from the centre and let states control their resources; a weakened centre will make the scramble for federal power unattractive),and then back it up with a strong national reorientation that would be incorporated into our educational syllabus.
We can then remove term limit and executive immunity.
Re: Term Limit Is Undemocratic by Proudlyngwa(m): 9:23am On Apr 20, 2017
EVarn:
True.
We need to decentralize/restructure our federalism(remove power from the centre and let states control their resources; a weakened centre will make the scramble for federal power unattractive),and then back it up with a strong national reorientation that would be incorporated into our educational syllabus.
We can then remove term limit and executive immunity.

I used to be a fan of resource control by states and regions, but I have long reconsidered, l keep on maintaining that without better people, there cant be better societies.
We have three tiers of government, lets maintain it in all sincerity first, then we can gradually move on to other things.
The govenors are way too powerful, lets not make them more monsters.

1 Like

Re: Term Limit Is Undemocratic by EVarn(m): 9:28am On Apr 20, 2017
Jaymaxxy:
Brother, this is Africa. Our people are just after taking power and not interested in governance. Even when the constitution is clear about the number of terms, an Obasanjo still wanted a third term. In fact, I am an advocate of a single term. If you think Mr. A can do it, that doesn't mean Mr. B cannot. No one has a monopoly of knowledge.
I think if the majority think Mr. A can do it,they should be allowed to vote him in as long as they want; it is an infringement on the citizens' democratic rights to remove that decision from their hands.
It ensures that a country has consistent implementation of policies,instead of the numerous unfinished plans kick-started by various governments.
But I agree that for such a thing to happen,some restructuring must first be done.
Re: Term Limit Is Undemocratic by vantage001: 9:32am On Apr 20, 2017
^^
But there is a serious deficit in leadership in Africa. Even the ones we think are decent here are not near world class.
So how can you then propose no term limit for leaders in africa especially in shitty Nigeria?
We are not talking about Germany here that has such provisions and for good reasons because they have enjoyed excellent leadership over the decades even under Evil hitler.
Re: Term Limit Is Undemocratic by EVarn(m): 9:58am On Apr 20, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

I used to be a fan of resource control by states and regions, but I have long reconsidered, l keep on maintaining that without better people, there cant be better societies.
We have three tiers of government, lets maintain it in all sincerity first, then we can gradually move on to other things.
The govenors are way too powerful, lets not make them more monsters.
I think if the governors have more resources,they will actually perform better.Infact,if the craze for federal power is removed from the equation,the governors will actually sit up to their duties,what is happening now is as a result of everyone wanting to go to Abuja,so they see their governorship positions as a mere stepping stone to "greater" ambition,hence they do not take their office seriously.
If we were to make the Presidency and NASS largely ceremonial(except for military,internal security and foreign affairs),the governorship positions will begin to be seen as the peak of political career.
Re: Term Limit Is Undemocratic by EVarn(m): 10:12am On Apr 20, 2017
vantage001:
^^
But there is a serious deficit in leadership in Africa. Even the ones we think are decent here are not near world class.
So how can you then propose no term limit for leaders in africa especially in shitty Nigeria?
We are not talking about Germany here that has such provisions and for good reasons because they have enjoyed excellent leadership over the decades even under Evil hitler.
It would still be the same 4 year term,but without limit of how many times a particular person can be reelected consecutively; so if the people feel that a leader hasnt performed,they can remove him/her after 4 years when election comes around.
Re: Term Limit Is Undemocratic by vantage001: 10:18am On Apr 20, 2017
EVarn:
It would still be the same 4 year term,but without limit of how many times a particular person can be reelected consecutively; so if the people feel that a leader hasnt performed,they can remove him/her after 4 years when election comes around.
Really?
Imagine if Obasanjo did not have a constitutional limit on his presidency, you think he would ever leave?
There is a constitutional limit and yet the guy wanted to break the law looking for a third term.
He would rig his way continously till he gets tired. This is Africa.
Re: Term Limit Is Undemocratic by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:29am On Apr 20, 2017
EVarn:
I think if the governors have more resources,they will actually perform better.Infact,if the craze for federal power is removed from the equation,the governors will actually sit up to their duties,what is happening now is as a result of everyone wanting to go to Abuja,so they see their governorship positions as a mere stepping stone to "greater" ambition,hence they do not take their office seriously.
If we were to make the Presidency and NASS largely ceremonial(except for military,internal security and foreign affairs),the governorship positions will begin to be seen as the peak of political career.

That will not work here, as Nigeria is allinged to indigeenes not citizens.
Moreover what you just described is a parliamentary style of government.
I maintain that Nigerian Governors are way too powerful and should be the ceremonial ones, real power lies with the federal and the local governments, if we are to follow a presidential system.

1 Like

Re: Term Limit Is Undemocratic by EVarn(m): 11:27am On Apr 20, 2017
vantage001:

Really?
Imagine if Obasanjo did not have a constitutional limit on his presidency, you think he would ever leave?
There is a constitutional limit and yet the guy wanted to break the law looking for a third term.
He would rig his way continously till he gets tired. This is Africa.
Even with the term limit,there is massive rigging everywhere.
That is why I also advocated for the removal of immunity,if immunity is removed,it would pave way for more check and balance.
Term limit is really restricting the continuity needed for economic growth in Nigeria.Just look at Singapore,it took lee kuan yu over 30 years to turn the city-state around,it would probably have taken twice or thrice that time if the country had term limit.If you are looking for African examples,look at Rwanda and to a lesser extent Kenya.
Re: Term Limit Is Undemocratic by EVarn(m): 11:42am On Apr 20, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

That will not work here, as Nigeria is allinged to indigeenes not citizens.
Moreover what you just described is a parliamentary style of government.
I maintain that Nigerian Governors are way too powerful and should be the ceremonial ones, real power lies with the federal and the local governments, if we are to follow a presidential system.
With such a system,the craze for federal power will still remain,and state/LG resources will only be chanelled towards federal ambition.
Re: Term Limit Is Undemocratic by Blue3k(m): 12:22pm On Apr 20, 2017
Personally I don't care about term limits as long there a free and fair elections. In Texas Rick Perry used to be Governor since I was in elementary tI'll my high school or college years. The world didn't end.

The only fear is coups and stagnation in system. Exuactive immunity is supposed to be for lawful actions taken as exuactive. It's not a pass to become criminal robbing treasury.
Re: Term Limit Is Undemocratic by Proudlyngwa(m): 1:03pm On Apr 20, 2017
EVarn:
With such a system,the craze for federal power will still remain,and state/LG resources will only be chanelled towards federal ambition.

Let us remove local governments from states completely, then we can talk.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING!!! N/delta Militants Send Bone-chilling Message To Buhari; To Resume... / #chibokgirls: See Names Of Newly Released 82 Chibok Girls / Court Of Appeal Reverses Conviction Of Ex-NIMASA DG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.