Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,738 members, 7,851,539 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:02 PM

Happy Birthday To Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Happy Birthday To Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu (339 Views)

2023 Presidency: No Zoning In APC — Orji Uzor Kalu / Breaking!! AbiaApcRally:Dr Orji Uzor Kalu Lands In Umuahia / Orji Uzor Kalu Serving Guests In A Meeting (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by Handsomecole(m): 7:54am On Apr 21, 2017
I'm privileged to see another year added to my years, so blessed to share the same BIRTHDAY with Forbes rated 6th Richest Nigerian coincidentally my boss.
Wishing my Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu one of Nigeria's greatest leader my mentor ,most courageous, intellectually sound detribalised leader and  my humble self a Happy and Prosperous Birthday.  So grateful to God for another year.

Dedicate this article to him.

Copied...

There's something unique about him that over the years, not minding how close we are, I still find it very difficult to lay hands on.
His greatest problem is that he came several years ahead of his generation.
He represents hope. Hope for you and me, hope for the common man out there, hope that with with undying courageous determination, no matter your background or where you are coming from you will make.
He is Orji Uzor Kalu the former this and that, ex-governor of Abia State for 8 solid years and publisher of Sun Newspapers.
His uniqueness comes in his forgiving spirit. Accuse him of everything, you cannot take that away from him.
My falling in love with him was a gradual process, after observing so many unique characters in him, which is lacking among our politicians.
His humility apart, as a governor, there was this journalist from Ohafia named Kalu who was running a local tabloid in Umuahia then. When Tell Magazine published the certificate saga about Orji Kalu, he was at the fore front, supplying info all to make sure Gov. Kalu was impeached.
After some time, the guy got ill. Went to hospital, it was the worst. Kidney problem. Needed an operation that will cost N5m at South Africa then.
He started running around those opposition from Abuja he worked for who Obasanjo was using to fight Kalu and destabilize Abia. None wanted to see him.
Gov. Kalu heard about, and send for him. He was afraid to go. I encouraged him to, knowing that Kalu meant no harm.
He visited, Gov. Kalu told him that he doesn't take opposition personal in politics. That as the governor of Abia State it's his duty to look after his welfare. He approved N6.5m instead of N5m for the guy.
On getting the fund, my guy went crazy. Instead of heading to South Africa for operations someone convinced him the traditional healers can heal him at a far lesser cost. He succumbed to the idea. Deposited N300,000 to balance N200,000, rented a duplex at Umuahia and bought a car, emergency big boy. Few months later, he got worst and died.
That's my exhibit A.
In 2003, a member of Federal House was contesting against Gov. Kalu, I was in Champion Newspaper then and with my friend Uche Sunday Aja we just floated Newsbearer Magazine. I went to interview the guy and the drama that followed taught how Kalu has been tagged most of the bad names he's answering.
I came quite early as agreed because he intended going for campaign and as a member of Federal House, I was his official media adviser. Him and Senator Bob Nwanunu all APP then, I served both as media adviser at the same time. None wanted to let go of me.
Pardon, I digress.
The drama was that the house help was sweeping the house when he was sent on errand. He dropped the broom at the parlour and rushed out. The broom was tied with a red and black rope. Not knowing what transpired, some visitors saw the broom and said it was invoked into the house by Orji Kalu mother to attack his opponent.
The called a Catholic priest who said he was engaged but he send someone with a holy water. It was poured on the broom and a pentecostal pastor who was around use shovel to take it outside. After speaking in tongues, praying and binding Gov Kalu and his mother, he poured fuel on it and set it on fire.
I was still around when the house help came back asking about the broom he dropped at that spot. By then, most of the visitors has left, including the pastor. Who will go round to tell them the truth.
That's how, perhaps, Gov. Kalu was being ignorantly misrepresented in so many other issues. Am not here to colour a bad man beautiful, but most of the stories we parade about him are just what it is; unsuitable gossip. Again, it pains me when the ordinary people like me out there who don't understand what is going on talk ill about him.
Kalu came from no known family background to take what the elites felt is their birthright. They pride self in being all knowing and having the right to always govern us. Having no godfather, Kalu came and fought them and changed all that. He opened to door for people who the society use to look down on to aspire and be something. That's why the elites are finding it difficult to forgive him and call him all sources of names.
The truth is that Kalu is a natural gifted leader. Growing up, at York Street by Hospital Road in the early 70's, Col. Anthony Ochefu the Eastern Region sole administrator was passing through Azikiwe Rd, on hearing his siren, Kalu, a relatively young man climbed on a stole around and started waving playfully, and he prophetically thundered, " one day am going to be the leader of my people".
One elite there pushed him down and tell him to shut up. And asked him who is your father that you will come and rule us. 30 years later or thereabout, that prophecy was fulfilled.
I don't know what they're asking you today, making mockery of you, I don't know if they society gave you no chance and dismissed you the way Kalu was dismissed.
There's something I know. If you persevere like he did, you will make it.
When you greet a king you own kingship will be honoured. Join me to say Happy birthday to Miri nyiri Enyi of Igbo land.
The great Iroko tree Gov. Orji Uzor Kalu.

Comments
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10209496625554945&id=1305474227

Re: Happy Birthday To Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by benedictnsi(m): 7:57am On Apr 21, 2017
HBD sir....
Re: Happy Birthday To Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by Nobody: 7:58am On Apr 21, 2017
Wullnp.

(1) (Reply)

NB Weekly 12 - Show Me The Money: The Nigerian Whistle-blowers' Dilemma / Ambode, Ajimobi, Amosun, Others Mourn Senator Isiaka Adeleke / If Buhari Needs More Rest He Should Transfer Power Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.