Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,657 members, 7,820,291 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 (2128 Views)

Pos: Fuel Stations To Charge N50 On Product Sales From Dec 1 / Merchants Upgrade POS Machines To Automatically Charge N50 Stamp Duty / First Bank Unveils Promo To Reward Verve Card Users (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by dipoolowoo: 8:07pm On Apr 21, 2017
By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has disclosed that from May 1, 2017, banks operating in the country can now charge N50 monthly from customers using the Naira debit/credit cards as maintenance fee.

The CBN made this disclosure in a circular titled ‘Guide to Charges by Banks and Other Financial Institutions in Nigeria 2017’ with reference number FPR/DIR/GEN/CIR/06/017.

In the circular released on Friday and signed by its Director of Financial Policy & Regulation Department, Mr Kevin Amugo, the banking industry regulator said banks can also charge $20 or its equivalent for similar service on foreign currency denominated debit/credit cards.

Mr Amugo, in the circular obtained by Business Post, explained that the Guide to Bank Charges issued in 2013 sought to reflect developments in the financial market, provide clarity on the banking terms, and reduce ambiguity in loan transactions.

However, he said the need to address the absence of a tariff regime for other financial institutions in Nigeria, enhance transparency in the operations of the guide, and align the provisions to current realities, have necessitated further review of the guide as clamoured by a broad spectrum of stakeholders.

“The review was expanded to incorporate the concerns of both operators and users of financial services in Nigeria.

“The reviewed guide provides for charges on various products and services than banks, other financial institutions and mobile payment operators offer to their customers.

“Banks, other financial institutions and mobile payments operators are required to present any other product, service and/or charge not covered by the guide to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) for prior written approval.

“The guide to is hereby issued and takes from May 1, 2017. It replaces Guide to Bank Charges that came into effect on April 2013,” Mr Amugo said.

He said for electronic funds transfer, the CBN has approved N50 fee for transaction below N10 million, same with transactions above N10 million.

The apex bank also retained the N65 for ATM transactions after the third withdrawal within the same month on other banks’ ATM.

It also said banks should not charge more than N1000 (one-off) for ATM debit/credit card issuance, same rate for replacement and renewal.

Concerning transaction alerts, banks should not charge “not more than N4/SMS. (Fees on alerts are restricted to only customer-induced transactions),” warning that “all associated notifications relating to a particular transaction should be consolidated into a single SMS alert.”

It explained that “where a customer opts not to receive SMS alert, the customer should issue an indemnity (for losses that may arise as a result) to the bank.”

The CBN said for Current Account Maintenance Fee (CAMF), such can be “negotiable subject to a maximum of N1 per mille.”

It explained that this is applicable to current accounts ONLY in respect of customer-induced debit transactions to third parties and debit transfers/lodgements to the customer’s account in another bank.

However, the CAMF is not applicable to Savings Accounts.

The circular said for Savings Account, the interest rate would be a minimum of 30 percent (MPR p.a.), but not applicable if a customer makes more than four withdrawals in a month.

For the full guideline, read http://www.businesspost.ng/2017/04/21/banks-charge-n50-monthly-atm-card-users-may-1/

Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by EbukaHades10(m): 8:12pm On Apr 21, 2017
Card maintenance?,for card wey dey my hand? Just anoda way to spoil d 1k wey dey ma account. Smd

1 Like

Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by SuperSuave(m): 8:13pm On Apr 21, 2017
angry
Is like these people are mad sha!! Which mumu card are they maintaining? You charge for SMS and now for using the ATM, why? angry

Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by ElmaSpeed(f): 8:14pm On Apr 21, 2017
Here we go again cry
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by Sunnymatey(m): 8:15pm On Apr 21, 2017
Might resort to traditional system of savings
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by Heavance(m): 8:15pm On Apr 21, 2017
It looks small, but when you multiply it by the number of people banking with them, you will see the extortion.
After deducting #100 from everyone for card maintenance, then this?
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by DBright123(m): 8:19pm On Apr 21, 2017
Hmmm, this is serious
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by LionDeLeo: 8:24pm On Apr 21, 2017
I don't understand that $20 part oh! As in they will charge me $20 monthly in a foreign denominated account for what exactly? Are they stupid?

Abeg who understands the oyibo wey dem dey try speak there. I know dey form say I sabi English for money matter oh!

If na wetin I understand, na to rush go carry am come put under my mattress b4 May, e no kuku plenty reach whistle blowing level.

Twenty dollars ko twenty dollars ni, just like that?

1 Like

Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by GogetterMD(m): 8:29pm On Apr 21, 2017
LionDeLeo:
I don't understand that $20 part oh! As in they will charge me $20 monthly in a foreign denominated account for what exactly? Are they stupid?

Abeg who understands the oyibo wey dem dey try speak there. I know dey form say I sabi English for money matter oh!

If na wetin I understand, na to rush go carry am come put under my mattress b4 May, e no kuku plenty reach whistle blowing level.

Twenty dollars ko twenty dollars ni, just like that?
Maybe na 20 cents dem wan talk

1 Like

Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:33pm On Apr 21, 2017
Be like na to dey keep money for kom kom go sure pass now o
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by LionDeLeo: 8:36pm On Apr 21, 2017
GogetterMD:

I hope so.
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by JAMO4REAL1(m): 8:37pm On Apr 21, 2017
nonsense policy
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by bqlekan(m): 8:47pm On Apr 21, 2017
JeffreyJamez:

Which one is kom kom self..? Anyways, keep keeping your money there, I will come and blow your whistle after 2 years grin
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by oloriooko(m): 8:48pm On Apr 21, 2017
Buhari should have mentioned this during his campaign na
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by olayinks007(m): 8:57pm On Apr 21, 2017
Which kind tin b dis again nw. Nd if care is nt taken people no go wan dey patrnise bank oo na 2 dey put money 4 house bdat.
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by Nobody: 8:58pm On Apr 21, 2017
EbukaHades10:
Card maintenance?,for card wey dey my hand? Just anoda way to spoil d 1k wey dey ma account. Smd
I tire.
They will soon start charging for staying under the ATM canopy. grin
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by Temptee101(m): 9:05pm On Apr 21, 2017
They are all MAD....the CBN, banks, Fed govt, our clueless old president, past and present leaders, APC, PDP, all naija polithievesians, lord lugard etc...they are all MAD. In fact they are all ambassadors of MADNESS
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:08pm On Apr 21, 2017
bqlekan:

Which one is kom kom self..? Anyways, keep keeping your money there, I will come and blow your whistle after 2 years grin

Lol Interesting
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by vayne(m): 9:14pm On Apr 21, 2017
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has disclosed that from May 1, 2017, banks operating in the country can now charge N50 monthly from customers using the Naira debit/credit cards as maintenance fee.
Meaning wether you can also be charged for using it for online transactions,not only ATM .

Bloody disaster of a policy undecided
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by itiswellandwell: 9:16pm On Apr 21, 2017
Smh...
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by ExchangerPLUS: 9:37pm On Apr 21, 2017
LionDeLeo:
I don't understand that $20 part oh! As in they will charge me $20 monthly in a foreign denominated account for what exactly?

GogetterMD:

The $20 is annually for Foreign Cards. Just to clear the air.
And they've reduced transfer fees to N50 and Card Payment fees to 0.75%(N1,200 max.).

Download and Read Section 10 of the Circular for more details HERE.

1 Like

Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by LionDeLeo: 9:44pm On Apr 21, 2017
ExchangerPLUS:

The $20 is annually for Foreign Cards. Just to clear the air.
And they've reduced transfer fees to N50 and Card Payment fees to 0.75%(N1,200 max.).

Download and Read Section 10 of the Circular for more details HERE.

OK, thanks so much.
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by Biggty(m): 10:28pm On Apr 21, 2017
Are they crazy?? Are they maintaining the card for me, i think it high time i start keeping money at home.

Oh, all this whistle blower wey dey now go just lead EFCC or Police to burst person
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by Cheriepet: 11:18pm On Apr 21, 2017
JeffreyJamez:

Kom kom? No worry whistle just dey ready to blow
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by JeffreyJamez(m): 11:19pm On Apr 21, 2017
Cheriepet:

Kom kom? No worry whistle just dey ready to blow

Blom blom ni tongue
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by Cheriepet: 11:35pm On Apr 21, 2017
JeffreyJamez:

Blom blom ni tongue
Hahaha just watch n see smiley
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by juliebest(f): 1:57pm On Jun 05, 2017
Yes, they have started the robbery.

They said its N50 + 5 % vat monthly amounting to almost 700 yearly.

This is in addition to the annual card maintenance fee, getting a new card fee, monthly sms charges plus other hidden and visible charges.

Should we allow them to continue to rob us like this?
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by DedeNkem: 10:13am On Apr 18, 2018
Nigerian banks are the worst in the world. What they do is to loot from their own customers and hardly operate or deliver good services like real banks.

They do all these nonsense because Nigerians are too st*upid to fight for their rights and don't mind being raped financially!!
Re: Banks To Charge N50 Monthly From ATM Card Users From May 1 by somtookeke(m): 4:28am On Dec 23, 2019
*CBN reduces ATM withdrawal, electronic transfer charges, warns banks*

https://speakersden2..com/2019/12/cbn-reduces-atm-withdrawal-electronic.html

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Jos Egg Price Update / Aluminum Powder/paste/raw Materials Importation And Supply Business | Europe / What Is The Best Bulk Sms You Can Recommend For A Business.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.