Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,154 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

On Consciousness - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / On Consciousness (412 Views)

Consciousness: Posers For Atheists / Unified Field Theory-consciousness Is The Unified Field, Self Is God. / A Discussion On God And Consciousness Between An Atheist And A Pantheist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

On Consciousness by ValentineMary(m): 10:12pm On Apr 22, 2017
CONSCIOUSNESS :

This is one topic that really interests me and I hear much of it though but today I just want to say my views on the topic.

To me, I feel consciousness is a very physical phenomenon that comes as a result of our biological system to maintain a balanced system. I entirely object to the view that consciousness is a metaphysical phenomenon that is installed in us. Rather we generate consciousness from our evolution from a simple to a complex state. Let me explain.

Imagine the first primordial cell, it's engine (biological system) is functioning and adapting to it's environment. Then an external strange molecule comes about to affect the cellular function, the chemicals in the biological system wanting to remain uncontaminated resist the interaction with this external molecule (unless this molecule is in high concentration, then it bio molecule can't resist cellular interaction). This is a primitive form of consciousness that many simple cells still practice. Eg if an amoeba is approaching a salty region, the sensors sends signals and it resist the medium and turn away. Human complex consciousness is as a result of millions of years of evolution both mentally and physiologically and since our physiology is quite complex, we would require special cells to be in charge of different signals from our environment thus giving us the pseudo mentality that our consciousness is installed specially in us.

Consciousness is just another way nature tells us that it could really be a blind watchman.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Pray? / Nollyhood Actor Has Kidney Failure (pictures) / Open Heaven Daily Devotional(sat. 20/05/2017)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.