Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,462 members, 7,830,312 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand (20548 Views)

Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! / 4 Things Anyone Can Do Every Saturday To Earn $200 / Annoying Things That Happen Every Time You Have To Enter A Bank(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by IdeeEsperanza(m): 12:25pm On Apr 23, 2017
grin
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Nobody: 12:51pm On Apr 23, 2017
alexistaiwo:
Like if you think Ecobank and GTB bank are most guilty of all these accusations.
Share for other banks.
My Keystone bank is the best for me.
No yeye charges
Eco bank really need to work on itself especially in deductions, was once charged for atm card I never got, can see little improvements in their own online customer services
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Btruth: 1:33pm On Apr 23, 2017
What about the endless queue at the ATM machine? Come to First Bank Sango branch for confirmation.

grin
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by linearity: 1:40pm On Apr 23, 2017
Celcius:
The utility bill is the most useless part of it.
I pray we get there, when with a NIN (National Identity Number) we can open an account.

Even in the use you cannot open an account or even get a Driver license without proof of address.

BVN, NIN, etc does not prove your address as info on those document become stile with the passage of time. It is therefore prudent for the bank to ask for some type of document that current and can proof that, you live at the address you stated that you live.

It is part of Know Your Customer policy handed down by CBN and the banks can't help it.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 23, 2017
Choose politician as occupation in opening account with any bank in Nigeria. That is the VIP codes.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by kristian98(m): 1:48pm On Apr 23, 2017
Coolcash1:
The management and board of Nigeria”s foremost bank, First Bank, have a lot of explanation to do to the Nigerian and global audience particularly their customers over alleged underground financial recklessness going on in the bank in which top management and board members have been fingered as masterminds.

The full details of the dealings contained in a petition by a human rights group obtained by thegazellenews.com revealed that about N50 billion was involved in the spurious loan deals which revolves around the top management and board members of the bank.
The petition, by the Social and Economic Rights Derivatives Centre, thegazellenews.com can revealed, has been forwarded to various agencies, institutions and top government officials in the banking sector for action and investigation.

The petition signed by the Executive Director of the group, Comrade John Eyinayya and dated April 12, 2017, has been forwarded to the following:
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)
The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
The President of the Senate,.Senator Bukola Saraki
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Yakubu Dogara
The Chairman of the Senate Committee on Banking, Insurance and other Financial Institutions, Senator Rafiu Adebayo Ibraheem
The Chairman of the Presidential Committee on Corruption, Professor Itse Sagay.

A copy of the petition currently in possession of thegazellenews.com, the Social and Economic Rights Derivatives Centre is asking the aforementioned bodies to investigate the Chairman of the FBN Holdings Plc, Mr Ayoola Oba Otudeko; former Group Managing Director of the bank, Dr Bisi Onasanya; and former Chairman of First Bank, Prince Ajibola Afonja over alleged “financial recklesness and dangerous insider deals”.
In the petition, the human rights group wants the Group Chairman of the FBN Holdings Plc, Mr Ayoola Oba Otudeko investigated alongside with the management of First Bank for allegedly collecting N29 billion from the bank through FBN Trustees and having the said loan curiously and dubiously written off without the knowledge and consent of the bank’s shareholders.
Thegazellenews.com also gathered through the petition that Otudeko also took a N9 billion Sun Trust credit line from First Bank without following due process.

It was also alleged that an unspecified huge billions of naira was allegedly siphoned from the bank through a company named Sinod Petroleum while the sums of N4.82 billion and N4.7 billion were suspiciously and dubiously released to Broadwaters Resources Limited and Nujutek Nigeria Limited respectively without due process. In her internal audit report, the Client Audit Executive of the bank, Uduak N. Udoh, submitted thus:
“The term loan of N4.7 billion approved in August 2015 but disbursed to Nujutek Nigeria Limited in October 2105 purportedly to commence Terminal Shipping Operations and Logistics was packaged and approved without proper credit analysis and due process.
“The facility was purposefully arranged to pay down the facility of N4.82 billion, packaged in the name of Broadwaters Resources Limited in February 2015.

The approval process and grid for this earlier loan was also intentionally circumvented by top management staff of the bank”.
Apart from Otudeko, other top former and current staff fingered in the huge loan scam are:
Bisi Onasanya, former GMD/CEO with staff number 013946
Abiodun Odubola, former Executive Director of the bank with staff number 023687
Cecilia Majekodunmi, ex-General Manager with staff number 007240
Omolade O Olawore, former Deputy General Manager and ex-Head, Credit Risk Management Department with staff number 019379
Olayemi O Agboola, Deputy Manager, Credit Analysis and Processing Department with staff number 019368
Nwanguma Olufunmilayo, Assistant General Manager and former Group Head, CBMG, Lagos Island with staff number 026562
Nduka U Dike, Manager who is the Business Manager of CBMG, Marina Lagos with staff number 025515 and
Idode Stephen Ikhazuagbe, Relationship Manager, CBMG, Marina Lagos with staff number 026536.

The petitioners viewed the underground financial dealings going on in First Bank as a big threat to the development and growth of the nation’s economy hence the need d it to be properly investigated with perpetrators made to face the wrath of the law.

https://breaking.com.ng/nigeria/exclusive-n48b-loan-fraud-rocks-first-bank-how-otudekos-n29b-loan-was-written-off-without-due-process-other-details/
but why didn't you open a new thread for this nah This is too much of a comment!

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by pleasureosondu(m): 2:11pm On Apr 23, 2017
kristian98:

but why didn't you open a new thread for this nah This is too much of a comment!
No b small tin
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by WenysAD(f): 2:26pm On Apr 23, 2017
Henrypraise41:
it's not a lie, especially the deduction of money every month, may GOd help us

Save with insurance, though u u may not always have access always to ur funds cos insurance is all about a long term means of saving money for futuristic purposes. Most insurance policies though, allow for short term savings. Just dat u benefit more in d long term means of payments and NEVER will charges be deducted from ur money for wateva reasons. Generally saving culture is imbibed in those that patronise insurance platforms.

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Nobody: 2:38pm On Apr 23, 2017
Henrypraise41:
I withdrew all my money from My UBA acct recently because of fraudulent deductions.UBA will not even send u alert but every time u check ur acct,u will notice deduction.

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Nobody: 2:41pm On Apr 23, 2017
Jolar101:
Choose politician as occupation in opening account with any bank in Nigeria. That is the VIP codes.
Don't even try it,whistleblowers will be monitoring ur account like witches.

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Nobody: 2:44pm On Apr 23, 2017
Btruth:
What about the endless queue at the ATM machine? Come to First Bank Sango branch for confirmation.

grin
Sango ke! I can't go to that area without cash in my pocket.From Iyana IPaja upward, using ATM in those areas is a big stress.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Btruth: 3:56pm On Apr 23, 2017
Dannys85:

Sango ke! I can't go to that area without cash in my pocket.From Iyana IPaja upward, using ATM in those areas is a big stress.
a bi oooo.

Lol.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by begwong: 4:25pm On Apr 23, 2017
Henrypraise41:
Bank staff sighted... Lol
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by hilaryitobore(m): 4:31pm On Apr 23, 2017
angryThe one that annoys me the most is that these days you can't open bank Account without a National ID card or any valid ID card, why!, but it wasn't like these before.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Kenchukky(m): 4:42pm On Apr 23, 2017
Sending you text messages you did not ask for and later charging you for all the text messages at the end of the month.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Gkemz: 4:46pm On Apr 23, 2017
Crauxx:
Server is down
That is the statement that annoys me the most

Synonymous to Ecobank.
During my service year, we were compelled to open an Ecobank acct for federal allawi. Omoh to withdraw money from counter na war. Even snail was faster than their server's speed.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by roeb1987(m): 5:13pm On Apr 23, 2017
plus u queue when u want to deposit ur money u will also queue when u want to withdraw the money either from ATM machine or canter. I strongly agree with u
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Coolcash1: 5:44pm On Apr 23, 2017
kristian98:

I actually did but the moderator removed it...See my comment on it earlier

quote author=Coolcash1 post=55826149]Don't know why this news has not made front page yet. Even the way the moderator has treated this post when it was originally posted on Friday by removing it and later taking it to last page makes me wonder why such attitude... People have the right to know and NL must be seen to be championing this cause...[/quote]
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by nonnyblaze(m): 6:00pm On Apr 23, 2017
You use another banks ATM and ur card gets seized go to their customer care and hear how CBN told them not return it to you or your bank.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by oluwadubem: 9:19pm On Apr 23, 2017
OP,you have said well but issue of charges sometimes will don't have to blame them bcuz is the sms alert charge per month,when you are cashingout/cashingin they used to send you an alert so when the month ends they calculate it and bill you no big deal.....

#peace#
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Mojibola(m): 11:58pm On Apr 23, 2017
I hate the part where they say you can't withdraw an amount of money over the counter, you must use ATM. ATM wey no dey work or 200people queuing in the hot sun, on top my money oo
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by davidif: 3:14am On Apr 24, 2017
Opinionated:
Banking in Nigeria has greatly advanced. In the past, you will find long queues but today the opposite is the case. Many of them have embraced technology and have simplified the banking process. Regardless, there are still some annoying things that these banks do that are very frustrating. In line with this, Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency shares some of these things.

Asking you to bring utility bill to open an account

Whenever you visit a bank in Nigeria to open an account, you are asked to bring a utility bill to confirm your address. Sometimes you begin to wonder, what you really need a utility bill for when you have BVN. BVN has every information about an individual including the fingerprints. You cannot change your fingerprint but you can change your address.

They deduct your money due to unnecessary charges

You know one of the annoying alerts you get every month are the charges from your bank. The way some banks remove your money will tempt you to go to the bank to withdraw all of it and transfer it to another one.

They cannot process your complaint because your names are different

If you use two names in one document and use three names in another document, some banks will never accept or process the document from you. They will tell you the process may get stuck because of the name difference.

You have to wait for days when the ATM refuses to dispense money and you have been debited

A faithful morning, you use the ATM of another bank to withdraw but the ATM refuse to dispense and your account is debited. Just be prepared for a long battle with your bank because you will not get your money back in 24 hours. First, you have to complain to your bank for them to reverse and depending on the bank, it can take weeks or months. If you don’t have money, you are on your own for that day. The question is why can’t they reverse it immediately?

And you need money urgently and they tell you ‘no network’

You don’t have money and you have tried several ATMs and they are not dispensing cash. You have no choice than to withdraw money at your bank. You walk into your bank and they tell you that there is no network, you will just get frustrated. The annoying thing is that if there is no network at that branch, it will be same at other branches. And without the network, they cannot do anything! Just start praying that the network comes back!

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/5-annoying-things-nigerian-ban/

This is why i wish foreign banks would flood into Nigeria so that they can put this amateurs out of business.

Our banking sector needs competition.

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by laudate: 1:00am On Apr 25, 2017
Proudlyngwa:
Just here to say GT bank is a fraud.
Seriously we don't have a financial institution in this country.
We are so outdated in every aspect of our lives, I begin to believe something is either wrong with the Nigerian air or water.

Na where una put UBA?? shocked Every UBA branch I have ever visited in Lagos, parades long queues as if they are part of the background decoration. The longer the banking hours, the longer the queue. And their customer service is the worst, I have ever seen....

GTB is a saint, compared to UBA! sad
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:32am On Apr 25, 2017
laudate:

Na where una put UBA?? shocked Every UBA branch I have ever visited in Lagos, parades long queues as if they are part of the background decoration. The longer the banking hours, the longer the queue. And their customer service is the worst, I have ever seen....

GTB is a saint, compared to UBA! sad

UBA na grandpa bank, they have refused to evolve.
I dont rate them high either and seriously hope not to have anything to do with them.
If your money hook for GTB, bros congratulations you are now a prayer warrior.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Demmy59(m): 7:42am On Apr 25, 2017
Hello good morning my fellow nairalanders, I am bringing you this opportunity of making 1000 naira weekly from this genuine company called streetbees
When you do a survey of just 5 minutes you get paid within two working days into your paga account Automatically.
How to start:
Open a paga account : go to Mypaga.com open a an individual paga account, register with the your phone number because it is the same phone number you would use to register on streetbeess.
Go to play store : download streetbees, open it and register With the number you use to register the paga account.
Then input this referral link, 8175HY. it is compulsory you input the referral code or else you will not get paid or see a survey.
Go and register now because there will be survey by 12 noon today. The pay may be small at first please don't discourage you can make a small living out of it..
Attach is the prove if payment I got last week. Most important use the referral code 8175HY.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Four Risky Places To Use Your Debit Card Abroad / Buy At Alaba International Wholesale Price / Fuel Haulage Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.