Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,092 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Why Do People Brag With Names Of Places. Is It Actually True? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People Brag With Names Of Places. Is It Actually True? (870 Views)

The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos / Are The Stereotypes About Russia Actually True?? / See The List Of Places Nigerians And Other World Travelers Should Avoid In 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Brag With Names Of Places. Is It Actually True? by Afam4eva(m): 10:19am On Apr 23, 2017
I've always wondered why when people, espcially Nigerians are engaged in some form of quarel, in order to scare of their opponent, they brag about where they come from or where they have been.

Here are few examples:

I go show you say na sapele water my mama take baff me

Dem no dey call me Warri boy for nothing

I go show you say na Aba grow up.

Omo Ibadan le mi

I Rep Pitakwa. Do anyhow, you go see anyhow

Omo, no try me oo. na lasgidi boy i be

I've even heard people say "Na Lagos Island boy i be" as if that makes any difference.

Now, i was opportune to see two guys exchanging unfriendly pleasantries and one of them said something like "I go show you say na warri boy i be". Needless to say, when it came to the nitty gritty, the boy that was repping warri was beaten into retardation.

So, how true or real is it when people identify their physical prowess to a city, tribe or location.

Mynd44 and lalasticla pls be free to move this thread to a befitting section.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Brag With Names Of Places. Is It Actually True? by Nobody: 10:58am On Apr 23, 2017
dem dey try represent their hood.. based on logistics.. grin grin..
Re: Why Do People Brag With Names Of Places. Is It Actually True? by Nobody: 11:41am On Apr 23, 2017
Firstly, the process of fighting and winning battles has or takes more psychological dimension than the latter part of doing it in reality. Whether it's just a verbal or physical fight, you must first win psychologically otherwise you've lost. Stereotypes are also real, ask the legendary Chinua Achebe or Muhammed Ali. Someone touting the name of his area is just trying to draw urgent attestation from the indomitable reputation of the environments surrounding his upbringing or current living. They're basically telling you to look at the dangerous place they've survived to understand that they won't give in to you very cheaply. The reason most people would mention anywhere irrespective of the fact that they're not renowned for harm is because, danger, difficulties and unprecedented struggle for survival lurks almost in every corner of the Nigerian society. Nobody has it rosier anymore. The pains and victories have gone round, less people have it safer and saner.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Brag With Names Of Places. Is It Actually True? by valariz: 1:36pm On Apr 23, 2017
sad
Re: Why Do People Brag With Names Of Places. Is It Actually True? by Afam4eva(m): 8:47pm On Apr 25, 2017
Firstly, the process of fighting and winning battles has or takes more psychological dimension than the latter part of doing it in reality. Whether it's just a verbal or physical fight, you must first win psychologically otherwise you've lost. Stereotypes are also real, ask the legendary Chinua Achebe or Muhammed Ali. Someone touting the name of his area is just trying to draw urgent attestation from the indomitable reputation of the environments surrounding his upbringing or current living. They're basically telling you to look at the dangerous place they've survived to understand that they won't give in to you very cheaply. The reason most people would mention anywhere irrespective of the fact that they're not renowned for harm is because, danger, difficulties and unprecedented struggle for survival lurks almost in every corner of the Nigerian society. Nobody has it rosier anymore. The pains and victories have gone round, less people have it safer and saner.
You couldn't have said it any better.
Re: Why Do People Brag With Names Of Places. Is It Actually True? by salford: 12:59am On Apr 26, 2017
Afam4eva:

You couldn't have said it any better.
if in lagos and someone mentioned he is from idi oro or akala before a fight. he would likely stab you with a bottle before you say jack.
Re: Why Do People Brag With Names Of Places. Is It Actually True? by Afam4eva(m): 1:01am On Apr 26, 2017
salford:

if in lagos and someone mentioned he is from idi oro or akala before a fight. he would likely stab you with a bottle before you say jack.
Or maybe he will be hoping that you will think that he will stab you with a bottle in order to get you scared.
Re: Why Do People Brag With Names Of Places. Is It Actually True? by salford: 5:22am On Apr 26, 2017
Afam4eva:

Or maybe he will be hoping that you will think that he will stab you with a bottle in order to get you scared.
gbam.
Re: Why Do People Brag With Names Of Places. Is It Actually True? by henrimoto(m): 5:31am On Apr 26, 2017
@Afam4ever, Lol @ "Beaten to Retardation"

In Mechanical Terms, its know as "Beyond Repairs" Lol
Re: Why Do People Brag With Names Of Places. Is It Actually True? by Afam4eva(m): 11:32am On Apr 29, 2017
henrimoto:
@Afam4ever, Lol @ "Beaten to Retardation"

In Mechanical Terms, its know as "Beyond Repairs" Lol

grin grin

(1) (Reply)

HELP A Brother / How Nigeria Immigration do Exhorts People Coming To Nigeria-Aroms Aigbehi / World's Largest Aircraft 'airlander-10' Crashes In England (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.