Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,350 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:35 AM

Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply - Jokes Etc (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply (36016 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Say Thank God And Amen To This..... / See Reply A White Man Got Celebrating His Nigeria Visa On Twitter / If Your Wife Isnt Pregnant Within 3 Months Of Wedding, Dump Her. See Reply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by Daddybright1986(m): 3:03pm On Apr 24, 2017
When you are dating a "God fearing educated & civilized Lady who has class & ambition" you will get texts massage like these:-

6:00am.
Good Morning my dear. Hope you had a wonderful night. How are you today? Wake up' say ur prayers & get ready 4 work. Don't 4get to apply 4that vacancy I showed you yesterday..I Love u muaaah..!!!

2:00pm -
Yes darling. hope you have taken your lunch? am
heading out 4 lunch' now. Talk later. Take care of yourself. Love u:-

6pm
Hello Besty ' I'm at Crunchies Fast food now' what should I buy 4 u?!!

But when you are dating any of this "Slay Queen ,Bae or Pepper Dem Gang" whose asset is her looks as well as crazy with fashion u will get texts like these:-

6:00am
Hello Boo! How far naa! Was Fun yesterday at d club. Hope u are not still having d hang over. Lol PLS remember to send me Credit. See u later.

12:00pm
I'm broke! Can u just help me out with some money if u can. I want to change my wardrobe. Muah!

6:00pm
Hi Boo' looks like u ve forgotten d shoes u
promised me.

Anyways' I'm at d shop where they sell Human hair & Clothes. Just eyeing this beautiful make - up kit. U will like it! Muah!

But when u don't date at all u get texts like:-

Airtel:-
Enjoy 6 times d value of every recharge on d Airtel network when u recharge with * 555*PIN#.

MTN:-
Dear customer' do u know that u can get 4times of what you recharge on ur phone? Simply dial * 888*pin# the service cost is free!!!#TGIF

55846:-
Your number is among the people selected to win 20million naira.... Call Mr SOLOMON on 08036161....... to claim ur prize.....

Good day My people have a lovely Week Ahead.....

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by femi4: 3:04pm On Apr 24, 2017
Sorry is another word for Excuse me. Politeness. Ask Britain before you guys continue saying nonsense.
Sorry and excuse me are not the same
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by bumi10(m): 3:10pm On Apr 24, 2017
hahahahahaha

oboy
naija we hail thee
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by fantastique4: 3:14pm On Apr 24, 2017
martineverest:
well said
not well said. What right has he to say others are saying nonsense? Can't we ever make a constructive statement without insulting others?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by Nobody: 3:17pm On Apr 24, 2017
Sorry is another word for Excuse me. Politeness. Ask Britain before you guys continue saying nonsense.

Context matters in the usage of 'sorry' as polite request. For example, 'sorry' is used as a polite request that someone should repeat something that one has failed to hear or understand.
"Sorry? Did you say I .....?"

You don't begin a question with 'sorry' ever. Also, when Nigerians see someone trip or fall, they say 'sorry' when they have nothing to do with it. Sorry isn't the equivalence of Yoruba's 'pele', you'd best to say 'are you alright?', otherwise you'll end up confusing the Oyinbos.

Nigerians are proud people and seldom use sorry to apologize when they actually wrong people, but they use it when its totally unwarranted.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by Adexy4us(m): 3:17pm On Apr 24, 2017

But sorry who's this "Nobody" that it Monika is not clickable....sorry I just want to know ni oo
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by Deilluminator(m): 3:19pm On Apr 24, 2017
Lucario007:

Sorry, but, do you know what you are saying?
Sorry is not a word indicated for politeness.
sorry
ˈ/sɒri/
adjective
1. feeling sad or distressed through sympathy with someone else's misfortune.
2. feeling regret or penitence.
The sense in which the word is used indicates politeness. Google "sense and reference" you will know more about the application and usage of words
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by jayloms: 3:22pm On Apr 24, 2017
tintingz:
Don't mind the poster, he/she must be an illiterate, even illiterate say sorry in their native tongue like "ejo" "biko" before asking questions.

But neither of both words mean sorry. They mean something else -"please"
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by CandiceJay(f): 3:28pm On Apr 24, 2017
tintingz:
Don't mind the poster, he/she must be an illiterate, even illiterate say sorry in their native tongue like "ejo" "biko" before asking questions.

Ejo- please, not sorry (Pele)
Biko- please, not sorry (doh)

Just saying.

Anyways, I use "sorry please" all d time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by Stanleysteno(m): 3:37pm On Apr 24, 2017
czaratwork:
factory fitted anger. lol
people get anger wey bad ooo, dem just dey find who to unleash the anger on.... Na really factory fitted anger
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by eightsin(m): 3:50pm On Apr 24, 2017
Everybody dey vex for this country
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by Tominiola: 3:51pm On Apr 24, 2017
Sorry Nigerians are not the only one who do this
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by Airoflaw(m): 3:52pm On Apr 24, 2017
abeg! wetin concern you
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by tintingz(m): 4:13pm On Apr 24, 2017
CandiceJay:

Ejo- please, not sorry (Pele)
Biko- please, not sorry (doh)

Just saying.

Anyways, I use "sorry please" all d time.

jayloms:

But neither of both words mean sorry. They mean something else -"please"
Sorry, my mistake. cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by SilverSnow(m): 4:19pm On Apr 24, 2017
What we really mean to say at such times is 'Sorry to bother you, ...?' We politely apologize for bothering the person.
But for reason of haste we just say 'Sorry, ...?'

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by holuwajobar(m): 4:28pm On Apr 24, 2017
Beebase:
If you are to say it in yoruba for instance you say ' Ejoo kini time'. Therefore Yoruba then take the same way of saying it in Yoruba to English version by saying 'please what is the time '...
u r wrong...yoruba translation z E pele, which mean sorry....
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by adanny01(m): 4:34pm On Apr 24, 2017
oluboom:
grin

2 reasons.

One, Nigerians are respectfull so are afraid to interrupt a stranger by using the right word which is "excuse me". Eg Excuse me, may I know the time. Most Nigerians will find it disrespectful usually by misunderstanding the right word. Sorry will sound more respectful and more acceptable to most.

Secondly, a lot of Nigerians are already pissed so apologizing before interrupting then will help to calm them down.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by shaldrestar(m): 4:37pm On Apr 24, 2017
EXLOVER:
Op sorry to ask you oh, why do you ask this question?

I don't know what came over me o, I use dettol cool to bath and the soap mistakenly touch that small in front of my cap, and the thing dey pepe me up till now, I dey use hand fan now.

Abeg wetin i go do Nairalanders?

Sorry o, but I think u'r referring to premier cool not dettol cool
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by RosaConsidine: 5:01pm On Apr 24, 2017
luckydion:

Before you approach someone as such you need to compose yourself... No one can just scold u out.... composure matter sssss.
How do you expect one that is busy or under pressure to just attend to another who is not bold... Delete self intimidation before such approach.

Good point there!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by dammieco(m): 5:02pm On Apr 24, 2017
oluboom:
grin
the problem is we don't know the difference between please and sorry

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by KhaleesiAdaz(f): 5:29pm On Apr 24, 2017
EXLOVER:
Op sorry to ask you oh, why do you ask this question?

I don't know what came over me o, I use dettol cool to bath and the soap mistakenly touch that small in front of my cap, and the thing dey pepe me up till now, I dey use hand fan now.

Abeg wetin i go do Nairalanders?
Just cut the damn thing off. You no need am na
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by Niceiroko: 6:01pm On Apr 24, 2017
dingbang:
grin
The one dats funny is dey will ask " pls don't be angry.. What is d time.. grin

Abi I dey vex before ni
naija dey vex oo,
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by Peteru64(m): 6:06pm On Apr 24, 2017
Have you met people who are like
sorry excuse me please
warisd@ jst say 1 of them

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by ericmor: 6:11pm On Apr 24, 2017
The Billion guy has giving d best answer already
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by yayabu(m): 6:23pm On Apr 24, 2017
Sorry please why did you ask?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by ajalaja(m): 7:01pm On Apr 24, 2017
Sorry.. pls who's the poster of this post?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by gud4dbest(m): 7:16pm On Apr 24, 2017
Lucario007:

Sorry, but, do you know what you are saying?
Sorry is not a word indicated for politeness.
sorry
ˈ/sɒri/
adjective
1. feeling sad or distressed through sympathy with someone else's misfortune.
2. feeling regret or penitence.

sorry,where are u from?just another meaning for sorry is 'excuse me'
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by UncutSk(m): 7:30pm On Apr 24, 2017
dingbang:
grin

The one dats funny is dey will ask " pls don't be angry.. What is d time.. grin

Abi I dey vex before ni
swear grin cheesy cheesy grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by rxgodwin(m): 8:12pm On Apr 24, 2017
On Point!!! Same ansa I'd give
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by EXLOVER(m): 8:28pm On Apr 24, 2017
KhaleesiAdaz:

Just cut the damn thing off. You no need am na
bae somebody need this thing more than me o. They many sef
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by amofah1(m): 8:33pm On Apr 24, 2017
Edenoscar:
The sorry is for disturbing you
u sabi book my pikin cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

When You Ask A "Local" Man If He Has A Bluetooth (pics) / Xtreme Funny Videos / Stupid Funny Crazy Pics [caution: Mild Offensive Language]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.