Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,761 members, 7,831,449 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

University Vs Reality - Do You Agree With This Excerpt? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / University Vs Reality - Do You Agree With This Excerpt? (574 Views)

Statistics Of Unemployed Nigerians By Gender And Qualification. Do You Agree? / Do You Agree With This Man's Opinion On Parents And Thier Children's Education / University VS Reality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

University Vs Reality - Do You Agree With This Excerpt? by abdulroqeeb: 6:03pm On Apr 25, 2017
I have always found it disheartening when a young man or woman would walk up to me, to ask for help getting a job and the conversation would play out something like this:

Job Seeker: “I graduated two years ago, and I haven’t been able to find a job. I was wondering if you could help in any way.”

Me: “I would be glad to help, what exactly are you looking for?”

Job seeker: “I have applied for graduate roles within oil and gas, banking, and blue chip multinationals. But right now I just need a job. Anywhere that offers graduate positions will be fine.”

Me: “I get it. But what I was asking is what line of work you had in mind.”

Job seeker: “Well, I have a degree in Business and International Relations, so I guess I can fit into most entry level graduate roles.”

Me: “Do you have a preference?”

Job seeker: “Not really. Right now, anything would do. I just want a job to get my career going.”

Me: Poor thing. Life’s Compass is yet to be set. No discernible focus or direction. No obvious value proposition. Another one the system has failed. (My thoughts – I don’t say this out loud)

Me: “If I was to put you in front of an employer, what would you tell them that would convince them to say to you: ‘You seem to be the person we’ve been looking for, what you’ve just shared resonates with us and in fact, it’s exactly what we need. When can you start?’ ”

Job seeker: “Well, I would tell them I am hardworking, conscientious, self-motivated, a good team player, a fast learner, highly disciplined, I hardly ever fall ill, and I can work under pressure.”

Me: I hear you. You will be perfect in a bar tending role. But seriously, is this all your University did for you? After four years? O Boy!!! They’ve short-changed you. Even better, you should just ask for a refund. The system is clearly failing somewhere. (I don’t say this out loud – all in my head).

Me: “There is a lot I think you need to understand about the world of work that would place you in the right frame of mind for life in general.

The first thing you need to accept is that employers are not looking to help and support anyone. In fact, it’s the other way around. They need people that can help and support their vision and goals. I offer talks on this subject, you may want to attend, and they are free.’’ (… and it tails off from there.)

Four years of university education and not a lot to show for it.

Conversations like these tell me there is a problem. Kids like these might as well be asking for handouts on any street corner. This got me thinking about the difference between “educating” a child and “preparing” them to thrive in the real world. “Yes” we educate our children but “No”, we do not prepare them for the capitalist world out there.

Excerpt from the book: "University vs Reality: Bridging the Gap between University Education and Real World."
By: Bobby Ikazoboh

https://www.facebook.com/DragnetNigeria/
Re: University Vs Reality - Do You Agree With This Excerpt? by yorex2011: 6:16pm On Apr 25, 2017
Ikazoboh.. That name...

1 Like

Re: University Vs Reality - Do You Agree With This Excerpt? by richol(m): 6:17pm On Apr 25, 2017
Our university is obviously a failed system.
Imagine a system where senate will have to sit on all results and when a class is having up to 25 percent of A‘s, the result wont be approved. It no longer becomes a plus to a lecturer for teaching well.

A system that a proffessor can give all sudents nothing more than a C and wont be questioned for no reason.

A system that beats of form of logical reasoning. A system that makes you believe that you must hustle, beg, bribe and indulge in all sort of thrash to get what you want and make it in life.
God forbid.

1 Like

Re: University Vs Reality - Do You Agree With This Excerpt? by NwaliE01: 10:12pm On Oct 07, 2019
Now, Who is to be blamed here?
The students, lecturers, the Government or better still the educational institutions.

(1) (Reply)

Real Estate Sales Executives Needed / The Master Key To Your Dream Job/career/business Breakthrough And Progression - / Technical Assistant Role

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.