Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,436 members, 7,823,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

The Simple 5 Step Process To Writing An Ebook In 7 Days - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Simple 5 Step Process To Writing An Ebook In 7 Days (618 Views)

How Do Facebook Accounts Get Hacked; See The Simple Tricks Hackers Use / Writing An Seo Articles / Why You Must Do Keyword Research Before Writing An Article As A Blogger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Simple 5 Step Process To Writing An Ebook In 7 Days by Copycracker(m): 7:14pm On Apr 26, 2017
Let's face it.

Whether you agree or not, releasing an eBook is one of the best ways bloggers can make money online.

Especially if you have authority within your niche and have built a huge following.

Imagine if Linda Ikeji came out with an eBook today about how to build a succeasful blog... Shii, she'll be counting her money by the millions.

But that's another story.

So if you’re a blogger reading this, thinking

“How can I create an eBook?”

This post is for you.

By the end of reading this, you will have a simple step by step process you can follow from start to finish in just 7 days.

[DISCLAIMER: I no talk say make you release the eBook in 7 days o! Unless you want to do like I did and give it away for free]

Without any more “senrenre”, lets begin.

The 5 Step Guide to Writing An eBook in 7 Days.

Something to consider- Ideally you should write about an area you’re perceived as an expert in.

Reread that again.

The emphasis on the last part is deliberate.

You don’t have to be a pro to write about a topic.

Sometimes, not being a pro is an advantage as it allows you to bring a unique point of view to the subject.

You do need, however, to be perceived as a pro. Meaning you should know the lingo, and have some experience in the matter.

I wrote about setting up an online business because I have done it.

And I’m still doing it.

So also your topic, unless its fiction, should be something you have some experience in.

That experience can help you give examples of what and what not to do in a way that tells the reader: “My guy/girl, I sabi dis thing.”

Step 1- Do Your Research

There’s nothing more annoying than reading a book and the author seems like he doesn’t know what he is talking about.

Before you start writing, try to get knowledgeable about your topic.

I’m not saying you should read a whole library of books, but you should at least have read 2 or 3 books written by experts in the niche you want to write about.

This helps you in 2 ways:

(i) You learn the lingo and you can use that to let the reader know you know what’s up.

(ii) It makes writing easier because the words will suddenly flow easily.

It’s like back in the day when we over-read Ababio. Chemistry exam became beans because we just came and poured everything we had over-read on the paper.

So don’t skip this.

Step 2- Pick a Pain Point

I was watching a video on Youtube the other day.

Grant Cardone (a real estate billionaire or millionaire) was interviewing one online marketing guru, Giancarlo Baraza.

Giancarlo said: “....anything that is pain is MONEY!”

True that.

And with your ebook, you need to find a pain point- something that was either a struggle for you to get through and that many of your target readers are going through.

Find that, make that what your book is about, and you won’t find it hard to sell your book (as long as it is marketed properly).

Step 3- Start writing.

I know some people will say you should draw up an outline, and I do believe you should draw one.

But…. And a big fat BUTTTTT.

Sometimes when you cant figure out all the parts of the outline, it can lead you to waste time trying to figure out the outline.

Time that can be used to write the book.

I had the good fortune that my book was almost completely written in my head before I started writing so my outline was almost partially completed.

I got stuck at some point but what I discovered is once you start writing, you begin to figure out more angles and more things to include.

But that wont happen if you dont start writing.

Picasso said: “Inspiration exists, but it must find you working.”

I second that motion.

Start writing. And sometimes you might find yourself stuck at one chapter and you don’t know how to continue.

Skip and go to the next section. Yes, you read that right.

You’re the writer. And nobody says that you have to write the book in order.

I’m not saying you shouldnt write in order if you can. Im saying youre in charge, you make all the rules.

Do what works for you. As long as you dont stop writing, it’s all good.

Step 4- Set a Deadline, Tell everybody and Promote the book before it is done.

Thats exactly what I did.

Parkinson’s law states that: “A task will swell in perceived importance and complexity in relation to the time allocated to its completion.”

[I totally stole that from the 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss]

The fact is about a month before I released the ebook, I told my bestfriend I was going to do it.

He nodded his head like “yeah yeahh..” and we continued drinking our booze.

2 weeks after that, it still hadnt been written.

When it came close to a week after that, I just got mad one day, and decided to do it.

I wrote a Facebook post about it and mentioned it would come out in 7 days.

I got active with my Instagram and spread the word.

I wrote about it on my blog. Chatted on Whatsapp about it.

Everybody who was talking to me during that period knew what was up, and they were waiting.

With that kind of attention and pressure, I felt like the world was watching and I could not afford to fail.

And I didn’t.

Granted, it wasnt perfect (I’ll get to that later) but I did it anyway.

I think you should understand Parkinson’s Law a bit more now.

Set a deadline. And set a goal of pages you need to write each day, and keep going till you get it done.

Also, have some form of countdown that you publicly announce each day as a form of reminder to people and yourself about the book.

[If you’re not releasing the book in one week, you should still set a deadline for the release of your book]

This will help hold you accountable.

Plus the look people will give you if you fail… that should be enough inspiration.

Step 5- Craft the title, create the Cover, proofread, edit and package it up.

Most people prefer to craft the title before they release the book.

I think you should leave that for the end.

Why?

Because when you first start writing, you have no idea of the scope of the book and if you picked a title in the beginning, when you get to the end, you might find out that the book went way beyond the scope of the title.

So for me, do that at the end.

Also the book cover…. If you be Richy Rich, by all means, hire a pro to do it for you.

But if you’re a hustler like me, mehnnn download the  Wattpad Covers app on your mobile phone and do it yourself.

All you need to do is take a cool picture, put some text over it and your name at the bottom and you’ll have the cover.

No long thing.

Then it’s time to proofread for errors and edit.

You should read your draft once from beginning to the end and once from end to beginning.

This way, you’ll easily uncover errors and be able to edit them appropriately.

You might also get a few ideas on things to change and things to add or remove, which you can then do.

When you’re done with editing, then you can create your outline.

At this point, you know your book from cover to cover and creating the outline or the chapter titles will be piece of moi moi.

When you’re done, show it to someone you trust (who also speaks Good English, unless your book is in Igbo or any native dialect) and ask them to help you look for errors.

Bonus Tips:

When you’re writing, just write. Dont edit.

There’s this tendency while writing, to want to go back to correct mistakes as you make them. Don’t do that. It breaks your writing flow and interrupts your trail of thought.

Don’t look at me like that, we are all guilty of this.

When you’re writing your ebook, breaks in transmission like that could make you forget ideas that were at the tip of your pen, and you might not be able to remember them after the break.

So just write knowing that there will be time for editing later.

2. Word is cool but you should write with Google Docs (docs.google.com)

I know.

Lovers of Microsoft Word want to kill me now.

Wollup.. Wollup… Hear me out first.

When you write with Word, at the end you’ll have to go through one weird process of trying to convert your  doc file to a pdf.

If you write with Google Docs, you can simply download your book as a pdf and voila, it’s ready.

I don’t know about you but I’d rather save myself the stress of trying to figure out how to convert a Word doc file to a pdf.

3. Make sure to set up your site’s upload limits before launch day.

I had to learn this the hard way.

I always thought my site was alreadyvset up to handle all media file sizes till 20minutes before I was supposed to release the book.

Wordpress wan come Bleep my style up.

I saw max upload file size is 2 MB.

I almost fainted.

Sharply I googled and found a way. I did it.

The size increased to 68MB but it still did not accept my upload.

Then I realised the change needed to be made at the server level in my php.ini file (that one na very long thing).

I wasn’t able to find the file and eventually had to upload the file on dropbox.

[Check this (to see what I mean) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9qsp2xyh2871sm/DontDull.YouCanSetUpYourOwnOnlineBusinessInOneWeekend..pdf?dl=0

Look at that ugly link. But at least I did it either way.

My advice is to discuss with your hosting provider and figure all this out long before the release date.

4.  Stop trying to be perfect. Just get it done.

Perfection is a myth. Stop chasing after it.

Do what you can to create the best resource you can create, market it, generate a buzz then release it and let the chips fall where they may.

“Imperfect execution beats perfect procrastination”- Steve Harris

No excuse. Just produce.

Don’t worry about the critics. Whether you do good or bad, they will criticise.

So just do you and let them do their own thing.

Aristotle said “The only way to avoid criticism is to say nothing, do nothing and be nothing.”

True that.

So f**k them. There are no statues erected to critics.

In the spirit of execution, I have finally got my shii together and put up my web development and internet marketing site (www.fayarspark.com).

I know it’s not perfect and all, but its up there.

Whatever improvements it needs will be made as I go along.

So yeah, I’m open for business in any of the areas listed on the site, just let me know on this number- +2348147018718.

I will also be reviewing websites for FREE so if you would like me to review your site, simply post a comment with your domain name and I will get to it as soon as possible.

Although I’ll prolly turn it into a video series on Youtube to make it easier to show what I’m talking about and help you better improve your site.

Anyway, hope this has been an interesting read, my fingers are hurting, so I gotta go.

Happy Hustling!

See you at the top.

Peace.

3 Likes

Re: The Simple 5 Step Process To Writing An Ebook In 7 Days by IbnMajaah: 9:40pm On Apr 26, 2017
Wow nice one bro..you really made sense in this write up and hey! nice site

1 Like

Re: The Simple 5 Step Process To Writing An Ebook In 7 Days by Copycracker(m): 9:49pm On Apr 26, 2017
Thanks man...
IbnMajaah:
Wow nice one bro..you really made sense in this write up and hey! nice site
Re: The Simple 5 Step Process To Writing An Ebook In 7 Days by Temolad: 10:02am On Apr 27, 2017
Oga. You too much o

(1) (Reply)

How To Make A Wordpress Site, A Step By Step Guide With Photos / How To Post From Your Blog To Your Facebook, Twitter And Linkedin Account / Creative Article Writers Needed ASAP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.