Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,102 members, 7,835,718 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

Selling Off African States To Developed Nations - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Selling Off African States To Developed Nations (693 Views)

States To Benefit From The N345b EU Fund / FG Not Responsible For Failure Of States To Pay Salaries / Safest Cities/states To Stay In Nigeria During The Coming Elections. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Selling Off African States To Developed Nations by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jan 05, 2010
Okay.
I really don't know how this post will be treated. I read some time about an economist who suggested that independent regions (like Hong Kong) should be created in the world (perhaps in African states) and these should have their own constitutions and should be exclusively administered by developed nations (say, like make Niger State in Nigeria an independent territory to be administered by, say, Britain), more like Hong Kong was. Grants can then be provided for development.
He claims this is the only solution to infrastructural and educational underdevelopment in Africa.
I had thought of this earlier, and of another variation of it where territories can be created in the pacific and Africans who are dissatisfied with their governments can move into these territories which will be governed by foreign powers. Personally I think this is a very good idea; reasons will come later. . . .
What do you guys think of this?
Re: Selling Off African States To Developed Nations by morpheus24: 8:55pm On Jan 05, 2010
Heard this same rhetoric by a chinese student of recent.

Please don't buy into this gibberish. As far as history reports it. This will do no good in the long run.

if only men were angels
Re: Selling Off African States To Developed Nations by Nobody: 4:44am On Jan 06, 2010
Lagos used to be its own colony

Hong Kong was returned to China ages ago.

not sure i get this thread.
Re: Selling Off African States To Developed Nations by No2Atheism(m): 5:03am On Jan 06, 2010
sauer:

Okay.
I really don't know how this post will be treated. I read some time about an economist who suggested that independent regions (like Hong Kong) should be created in the world (perhaps in African states) and these should have their own constitutions and should be exclusively administered by developed nations (say, like make Niger State in Nigeria an independent territory to be administered by, say, Britain), more like Hong Kong was. Grants can then be provided for development (why does Africa need grants when there is resources to boot).
He claims this is the only solution to infrastructural and educational underdevelopment in Africa. (and does that make him right)
I had thought of this earlier, and of another variation of it where territories can be created in the pacific and Africans who are dissatisfied with their governments can move into these territories which will be governed by foreign powers. Personally I think this is a very good idea; reasons will come later. . . . (am certainly looking forward to your reasons)

- I am sorry to say and I don't mean to sound insulting, but you sound like an Afican that never learns from History and recent predecents.

- Ask yourself why they want to do what you suggested.

- Did an African ask them to do it. . . or did they just want to do it because they think they should do it.

- Do you sincerely think Europeans seek to do it for the benefit of Africa.

- Give me one example of something that was done by Europeans for the benefit of Africa without an ulterior motive.

Okay let me break it down for you:

Assumption: Throughout History . . . the lie has always been that : Europeans are benevolent people trying to help the indigenous population.

Reality: Its a lie . . .as this is nothing more than mere land grab by either europeans or asians.

It is just another means through which developed countries are trying to recolonise Africa . . . end of story . . .

--------------------

- It is an open secret that Africa was and still remains a fertile and resources rich continent. . . Africa has Oil, Coal, Diamond, Gold, Metal Ores, Uranium, Fertile Agricultural Land etc . . . in abundance . . . 

- Europeans left Africa in the middle of the last century not because they wanted to but because circumstance forced them to  . . . e.g. Britain was going bankrupt hence could not maintain the colonial system any more . . .each other county has its reasons.

- Europeans do not mind killing Africans for their land and resources e.g. King Leopold of Belgium and White South Africans/White Zimbabweans . . .

- Europeans and at least China are trying to get back into Africa for Africa's resources and manpower hence why you you see them talking nonsense . . .

Summary . . . of the matter is that:

Europeans do not give a Poo about Africa hence they intend to find every means to recolonise Africa if possible . . .hence this post of yours just shows that lenght they would go to and the lies they are willing to speak just to have their way.
Re: Selling Off African States To Developed Nations by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 06, 2010
No2Atheism:

- I am sorry to say and I don't mean to sound insulting, but you sound like an Afican that never learns from History and recent predecents.

- Ask yourself why they want to do what you suggested.

- Did an African ask them to do it. . . or did they just want to do it because they think they should do it.

- Do you sincerely think Europeans seek to do it for the benefit of Africa.

- Give me one example of something that was done by Europeans for the benefit of Africa without an ulterior motive.

Okay let me break it down for you:

Assumption: Throughout History . . . the lie has always been that : Europeans are benevolent people trying to help the indigenous population.

Reality: Its a lie . . .as this is nothing more than mere land grab by either europeans or asians.

It is just another means through which developed countries are trying to recolonise Africa . . . end of story . . .

--------------------

- It is an open secret that Africa was and still remains a fertile and resources rich continent. . . Africa has Oil, Coal, Diamond, Gold, Metal Ores, Uranium, Fertile Agricultural Land etc . . . in abundance . . . 

- Europeans left Africa in the middle of the last century not because they wanted to but because circumstance forced them to  . . . e.g. Britain was going bankrupt hence could not maintain the colonial system any more . . .each other county has its reasons.

- Europeans do not mind killing Africans for their land and resources e.g. King Leopold of Belgium and White South Africans/White Zimbabweans . . .

- Europeans and at least China are trying to get back into Africa for Africa's resources and manpower hence why you you see them talking nonsense . . .

Summary . . . of the matter is that:

Europeans do not give a Poo about Africa hence they intend to find every means to recolonise Africa if possible . . .hence this post of yours just shows that lenght they would go to and the lies they are willing to speak just to have their way.

Firstly, wrong assumption: Humans are not exactly such benevolent people without ulterior motives, and that includes you, all Africans, Europeans. . . .

I hope you know Africa will not remain a fertile and resource-rich continent forever. And if you actually think from this standpoint, don't you think you are more like a rich man who suddenly thinks he has made enough money and shouldn't bother about how he should manage it. BTW, managing resources is more important and much more difficult than having it. For christ's sake, who doesn't have one or two resources in their countries? So please stop thinking like there's no tomorrow since you live in the "richest" continent.

The way I see it, Hong Kong while it was under the British was a good role model for China, wasn't it? What one is looking at is these independent states serving as inspiration/role models for their African neighbours. Clearly, Africans are not just there yet, and are so far away from the goal. In order to aid development, while does it allow itself in all humility to be helped up by those who already know? You see, by about the early 20th century, science was done mainly in Europe (UK, Germany) and America was nowhere around. at about this time, a lot of American students were going to Britain and Germany, learning and then coming back to educate their people; this didn't help much. Suddenly, there came two world wars which pushed european intellectuals into america, and boom! American suddenly becomes where mainstream science is now practiced. So, what is quite apparent is that america needed those people on their land to help it advance!

sadly, Africa will continue to wallow at the lower rungs of the ladder, unless it allows intellectuals to come to its aid. And somehow, the many intellectuals today who know what they practice just happen to be europeans and americans. Please let's forget all this race issue, for crying out loud, science, technology and development transcends race. Many africans are still such that they can't bear learning from those who know more than them, but who just happen to be europeans. . .

I might not be in favour of independent states within sovereign territories because somehow that seems far-fetched though not out of place. What I favour more is creation of new territories in regions in the pacific and then making it an independent choice for Africans to move to these regions if they chose to. These region will of course be administered by a collaboration of foreign powers, the UN if you like. A lot of people will still smell conspiracy, but at least will move there only as their choice.
Re: Selling Off African States To Developed Nations by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jan 06, 2010
, Now I know what happened during the slave era.
What a thought!
Re: Selling Off African States To Developed Nations by No2Atheism(m): 7:49pm On Jan 06, 2010
sauer:

Firstly, wrong assumption: Humans are not exactly such benevolent people without ulterior motives, and that includes you, all Africans, Europeans. . . .

I hope you know Africa will not remain a fertile and resource-rich continent forever. And if you actually think from this standpoint, don't you think you are more like a rich man who suddenly thinks he has made enough money and shouldn't bother about how he should manage it. BTW, managing resources is more important and much more difficult than having it. For christ's sake, who doesn't have one or two resources in their countries? So please stop thinking like there's no tomorrow since you live in the "richest" continent.

The way I see it, Hong Kong while it was under the British was a good role model for China, wasn't it? What one is looking at is these independent states serving as inspiration/role models for their African neighbours. Clearly, Africans are not just there yet, and are so far away from the goal. In order to aid development, while does it allow itself in all humility to be helped up by those who already know? You see, by about the early 20th century, science was done mainly in Europe (UK, Germany) and America was nowhere around. at about this time, a lot of American students were going to Britain and Germany, learning and then coming back to educate their people; this didn't help much. Suddenly, there came two world wars which pushed european intellectuals into america, and boom! American suddenly becomes where mainstream science is now practiced. [/b]So, what is quite apparent is that america needed those people on their land to help it advance!

[b]sadly, Africa will continue to wallow at the lower rungs of the ladder, unless it allows intellectuals to come to its aid.
And somehow, the many intellectuals today who know what they practice just happen to be europeans and americans. Please let's forget all this race issue, for crying out loud, science, technology and development transcends race. Many africans are still such that they can't bear learning from those who know more than them, but who just happen to be europeans. . .

I might not be in favour of independent states within sovereign territories because somehow that seems far-fetched though not out of place. What I favour more is creation of new territories in regions in the pacific and then making it an independent choice for Africans to move to these regions if they chose to. These region will of course be administered by a collaboration of foreign powers, the UN if you like. A lot of people will still smell conspiracy, but at least will move there only as their choice.

These region will of course be administered by a collaboration of foreign powers, the UN if you like.

- Are you serious or are you joking . . .

- Who controls the UN. . .

- Do you know the meaning of ruling by proxy . . .

- Why do you think there is something like a so called UN Security Council . . .even though the naive notion is that all countries in UN are equal . . .

I hope you know Africa will not remain a fertile and resource-rich continent forever.

- And that does not mean Europeans or Arabs or Asians should come to Africa . . .
- Africans can do it themselves just as Asians and Chinese (in isolation) did it themselves  . . .

In order to aid development, while does it allow itself in all humility to be helped up by those who already know?

The usual inferiority complex . . . of Europeans coming to save you . . .

I might not be in favour of independent states within sovereign territories because somehow that seems far-fetched though not out of place. What I favour more is creation of new territories in regions in the pacific and then making it an independent choice for Africans to move to these regions if they chose to.

- In short you are for colonialisation of Africa . . . albeit it being done in a small scale . .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing that can be obtained from all @sauer has said is that:

- Europeans and Asians are better.
- Europeans and Asians would make Africa better.
- Europeans and Asians are needed before Afican can develop.
- He supports Europeans and Asians coming to support Africa.
- He does not know much about History . . . otherwise he would not even suggest what he is suggesting.
- He is naive to even think UN is not under the control of the West, hence he naively thinks they are meant to help developing nations.
- He sounds like a PR office for Europeans and Asians, hence I am tempted to suspect he's motive and real identity.
- Africans have tried to develop themselves and history shows that Europeans were even the ones hindering such developement. History shows what Europeans tried to do to Pan Africanist (i.e. people who were for Africa's development e.g. Lumumba, Nkrumah and co)
- An African cannot be allowed to do the same in europe yet here you are suggesting that Africans should accept the same from Europeans.
- He sincerely needs to brush up on history . . . and learn from history.

Overall, all that @sauer has said only goes to reinforce my conclusion that:

1. Either he (@sauer) is not who he claims to be i.e. He is not even an African to begin with.

or

2. He just an African that has choosen not to learn from History.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AIRDIG:

What a thought!

Exactly  . . . . . . now u understand

Now u are starting to understand what the poster is suggesting is very wrong all so many levels . . . and how Eurocentrism is a dangerous thing for Africa . . . and why a lack of proper historical perspective is a very dangerous scenario.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Europe or Asia does not need to own or occupy any place in Africa if they want to actually help African to develop . . . hence it is completely bullshit to even suggest otherwise.

- Repatriating looted funds . . . since looted funds is being used to develop europe, why not return the loot so that it can be used to develop Africa,

wat you seem to fail to understand is that even if there is corruption in the country and the looted funds remain in that country, those funds would still end up developing that country just by the mere fact that the money remains in that country. Hence even if there is corruption and there is not capital flight to europe, it means that the money remains in Nigeria albeit under a new owner. This is exactly what the europeans understand hence why they are actively supporting corruption by allowing their countries to be destinations for looted funds, cus they know that those looted funds is being used to develop their own countries. . . instead of the African countries from where they were looted from.

- Helping fight corruptions . . .Would go a long way to aid and accelerate Africa's development . . .hence

- Fair trade agreements between Europe and Africa.

THERE ARE COUNTLESS WAYS THAT EUROPE AND ASIA CAN EFFECTIVELY AID AFRICA'S DEVELOPMENT WITHOUT OCCUPYING ANY INCH OF LAND IN AFRICA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Do you even realise that Africa countries were created solely for the benefit of European balkanisation of Africa and not because Europea gives a damn about Africa. . .

- Do you even realise that Nigeria as a country was created for British interest and that Northerners were specifically favoured by the British to rule Nigeria because Northerners were easier to control by the British.

- Historical evidence shows that Southern Nigeria was more than capable to lead the country in terms of development of Nigeria, yet the British specifically choose the North . . .

SO PLEASE SPARE ME THE BENEVOLENT EUROPEANS BULLSHIT . . . I DON'T WANT TO HAVE ANY OF THAT.
Re: Selling Off African States To Developed Nations by oyinda3(f): 12:53pm On Dec 24, 2010
sauer:

Okay.
I really don't know how this post will be treated. I read some time about an economist who suggested that independent regions (like Hong Kong) should be created in the world (perhaps in African states) and these should have their own constitutions and should be exclusively administered by developed nations (say, like make Niger State in Nigeria an independent territory to be administered by, say, Britain), more like Hong Kong was. Grants can then be provided for development.
He claims this is the only solution to infrastructural and educational underdevelopment in Africa.
I had thought of this earlier, and of another variation of it where territories can be created in the pacific and Africans who are dissatisfied with their governments can move into these territories which will be governed by foreign powers. Personally I think this is a very good idea; reasons will come later. . . .

do you even know how silly you sound?
I'm sure you're talking about the TED video. I saw it too and thought it was the most ridiculous thing ever. some people take poo and cover it up with cake icing to make it look good and sell it to ignorant folks.
better don't buy into the scam.
I'm sure you know about the latest news now http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/22/world/africa/22mali.html?ref=africa
I wonder what you think of this one.

AIRDIG:

What a thought!

I know right? they probably made us believe slavery and colonization were the greatest idea then too.
heck some ignorant nigerians still believe colonization was good for us. how st[size=1pt].[/size]upid can you get?

(1) (Reply)

Acting President Jonathan’s Speech / Is Goodluck Jonathan Smart Enough To Change Things In Nigeria / Newspapers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.