Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,074 members, 7,814,719 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] (4320 Views)

Check These Sentence And Find Its Fault If Any. (is The Sentence Correct) / Which Of These Sentence Give You Great Joy In Secondary School / Please Which Of These Sentence Is Correct (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Toyin001: 1:04am On Apr 29, 2017
Hello ooo,

My Naija people! Hope you are fine I believe you are!

The last time I attempted to enlighten Nigerians on an inappropriate use of word, I got insults in return as some profs attempted to prove it wrong and even accused me of misleading nairalanders. The thread was eventually closed; even with that, I thank God the post eventually reached over 3500 people and hence, I believe someone learnt something.

However, this little story of mine won't stop me from posting this enlightenment again!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

It's a very common word among we men and also women that have little concern for our matter.

As a matter of fact, it's very likely you used the word less than one month ago.

Lol. You don't believe Read on. smiley smiley smiley

Thanks to a facebook friend that enlightened me on this through a status update:

We are used to saying sentences like: I went to barb my hair; I will barb my hair next week; This barber didn't barb my hair very well; I was barbing my hair when you called me; I had my hair neatly barbed by that skilled barber, and etc.

Well, I'm pleased to tell you that though we use these sentences, they do not actually exist! smiley smiley smiley

The word "barb" fully exist, however, with its tons of definitions but none has any relationship with the process of cutting a person's hair.

We'll rather use the words "cut" or "shave" in place of the barb we are fond of using.

HENCE, SIMPLY SAY THIS:

* I went to cut my hair; or

* I went to shave my hair.

* I will cut my hair next week; or

* I will shave my hair next week;

* This barber didn't cut my hair very well; or

* This barber didn't shave my hair very well;

* I was cutting my hair when you called me; or

* I was shaving my hair when you called me;

* I had my hair neatly cut by that skilled barber; or

* I had my hair neatly shaved by that skilled barber,
Hmm, I hope you've learnt something new right But I won't stop here though.

There is also a word that looks like "barb" that is appropriate to be used.

The word "barber" can mean the person who specializes in cutting people's hair. However, as a verb, the word "barber" also means to cut or trim someone's hair.

Hence, though it sounds somehow, these sentences below are 100% correct:

* I went to barber my hair;

* I will barber my hair next week;

* This barber didn't barber my hair very well;

* I was barbering my hair when you called me;

* I had my hair neatly barbered by that skilled barber.

These ones sound somehow and you could even be accused of throwing bullets, however, they are totally correct.

Haven't you learnt more smiley smiley smiley

Thanks for your time in reading it!

Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44, Fynestboi

5 Likes

Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Toyin001: 1:11am On Apr 29, 2017
My Profs in the house, I hope there aren't other dictionaries that contradict this this time around?

ikp120, ElRapido, Mortiple, fadjnr, bola4dprec, Omagogo, jericco1, oglalasioux, abbeyty, preetymee, buccal

Thank you.
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Teewhydalegend: 1:12am On Apr 29, 2017
I have noticed that some correct sentences in English language actually sound Incorrect.....English is weird!!! undecided

6 Likes

Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Alitair(m): 1:19am On Apr 29, 2017
Correct man cool
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Nobody: 1:23am On Apr 29, 2017
Government Can help my solution, like me I be barbing

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by bola4dprec(m): 1:31am On Apr 29, 2017
Toyin001:
My Profs in the house, I hope there aren't other dictionaries that contradict this this time around?

ikp120, ElRapido, Mortiple, fadjnr, bola4dprec, Omagogo, jericco1, oglalasioux, abbeyty, preetymee, buccal

Thank you.
Tonsorial
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by locosis007(m): 5:11am On Apr 29, 2017
Omagago:

continues:
if govt give me shop , give me clipper , I wud work, there will not be a thief.. u wan go look house go look, your wife will say u go hopeless and you come hopeless. so let govt do empowerment of us.

hahaha.. that guy na bomb!

8 Likes

Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by chukxie(m): 6:13am On Apr 29, 2017
Nice one!
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by spaggyy(m): 6:41am On Apr 29, 2017
Op since 95% believes it's right, let's keep it that way....

I want to barber my hair and I want to barb my hair, which one sweet for ear pass

So I go talk English still set defend am....

No be person invent English?

1 Like

Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Nobody: 6:46am On Apr 29, 2017
@op Nice one. Teach them the easy way. As for me,I learnt it the hard way when a very wicked English teacher beat it into me for writing it that way in an essay back then in primary school. We 've sort of crafted our own English without knowing it.
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Partnerbiz(f): 6:56am On Apr 29, 2017
Go away..
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Nobody: 7:48am On Apr 29, 2017
Good,front page,pls.
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Nobody: 7:59am On Apr 29, 2017
Op you're 100% correct
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by jericco1(m): 8:44am On Apr 29, 2017
You're correct but the problem with mid range Nigerians, is not that they don't know the correct usage but the system and people around us make us use 'barb' instead of 'cut' but among our learned peers, we use the right word but in the open we sometimes dare not because people will look at you differently, like 'who be this one?' 'you dey form say you school abi?' 'abeg park well, who you epp?. Over to you sir.

1 Like

Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Johnny19: 9:34am On Apr 29, 2017
An average Nigerian will still say I went to BARB my hair. Op one thing you should know is that you can take a man away from the street but you can't take the street away from him .

He that has an ear let him hear before he/she goes to mess up in an interview.
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Cutealexio(m): 2:48pm On Apr 29, 2017
Toyin001:
Hello ooo,

My Naija people! Hope you are fine I believe you are!

The last time I attempted to enlighten Nigerians on an inappropriate use of word, I got insults in return as some profs attempted to prove it wrong and even accused me of misleading nairalanders. The thread was eventually closed; even with that, I thank God the post eventually reached over 3500 people and hence, I believe someone learnt something.

However, this little story of mine won't stop me from posting this enlightenment again!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

It's a very common word among we men and also women that have little concern for our matter.

As a matter of fact, it's very likely you used the word less than one month ago.

Lol. You don't believe Read on. smiley smiley smiley

Thanks to a facebook friend that enlightened me on this through a status update:

We are used to saying sentences like: I went to barb my hair; I will barb my hair next week; This barber didn't barb my hair very well; I was barbing my hair when you called me; I had my hair neatly barbed by that skilled barber, and etc.

Well, I'm pleased to tell you that though we use these sentences, they do not actually exist! smiley smiley smiley

The word "barb" fully exist, however, with its tons of definitions but none has any relationship with the process of cutting a person's hair.

We'll rather use the words "cut" or "shave" in place of the barb we are fond of using.

HENCE, SIMPLY SAY THIS:

* I went to shave my hair.

* I will shave my hair next week;

* This barber didn't cut my hair very well; or

* This barber didn't shave my hair very well;

* I was cutting my hair when you called me; or

* I was shaving my hair when you called me;

* I had my hair neatly cut by that skilled barber; or

* I had my hair neatly shaved by that skilled barber,
Hmm, I hope you've learnt something new right But I won't stop here though.

There is also a word that looks like "barb" that is appropriate to be used.

The word "barber" can mean the person who specializes in cutting people's hair. However, as a verb, the word "barber" also means to cut or trim someone's hair.

Hence, though it sounds somehow, these sentences below are 100% correct:

* I went to barber my hair;

* I will barber my hair next week;

* This barber didn't barber my hair very well;

* I was barbering my hair when you called me;

* I had my hair neatly barbered by that skilled barber.

These ones sound somehow and you could even be accused of throwing bullets, however, they are totally correct.

Haven't you learnt more smiley smiley smiley

Thanks for your time in reading it!

Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by boss1310(m): 4:32pm On Apr 29, 2017
are you done?
well let's go back to your earlier sentence where you asked if we are fine,we are not fine and what are you going to do about it.please don't tell us that English will feed us
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by missioner(m): 4:54pm On Apr 29, 2017
I have known this since 2013!
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by LionDeLeo: 6:26pm On Apr 29, 2017
Toyin001:

Op, you are also wrong on these.

You don't cut your hair, you only get/have it cut.

(Always in the passive voice, not active).

Abeg, allow us make we dey speak our English like that, we aren't English.
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by bola4dprec(m): 8:02pm On Apr 29, 2017
[quote author=LionDeLeo post=56043805]

Abeg, allow us make we dey speak our English like that, we aren't English. [/quote
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by LionDeLeo: 8:04pm On Apr 29, 2017
[quote author=bola4dprec post=56046364][/quote]

Why?
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by firstking01(m): 8:25pm On Apr 29, 2017
Teewhydalegend:
I have noticed that some correct sentences in English language actually sound Incorrect.....English is weird!!! undecided
I tell ya, you'd hear people like theo walcot and cahill saying things like, "the reason why" in an interview, people wey be say na them get english.
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Toyin001: 11:28pm On Apr 29, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Abeg, allow us make we dey speak our English like that, we aren't English.
You scarcely deserve a response on this.
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Toyin001: 11:32pm On Apr 29, 2017
Teewhydalegend:
Hmm, it happens that way actually, but you got your back once what you're saying his correct.

Alitair:
Correct man cool
chukxie:
Nice one!
Tiny23:
Good,front page,pls.
asuustrike2009:
Op you're 100% correct
Thank you

boss1310:
are you done?
well let's go back to your earlier sentence where you asked if we are fine,we are not fine and what are you going to do about it.please don't tell us that English will feed us
Lol, Sorry about your being not fine!
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Toyin001: 11:38pm On Apr 29, 2017
Johnny19:
An average Nigerian will still say I went to BARB my hair. Op one thing you should know is that you can take a man away from the street but you can't take the street away from him .

He that has an ear let him hear before he/she goes to mess up in an interview.
Right! Thanks bro! Gracious!

jericco1:
You're correct but the problem with mid range Nigerians, is not that they don't know the correct usage but the system and people around us make us use 'barb' instead of 'cut' but among our learned peers, we use the right word but in the open we sometimes dare not because people will look at you differently, like 'who be this one?' 'you dey form say you school abi?' 'abeg park well, who you epp?. Over to you sir.
Your point is clear, however, as peer influence shouldn't be an excuse to deliberately indulge in wrong acts, so also shouldn't they influence us from doing the right thing in how spoken English as well.
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by wins18(m): 11:51pm On Apr 29, 2017
I know some people will say op is forming, that he is an ITK. op no mind them Oo The lord is your strength

1 Like

Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Toyin001: 12:01am On Apr 30, 2017
wins18:
I know some people will say op is forming, that he is an ITK.
op no mind them Oo
The lord is your strength
Amen, it's simply because they're beds of the same feathers; which also includes the admin. Foolish posts walk into the FP whilst reasonable ones pass through a tight rope to reach it.

They're confused set of people and the forum itself is confused.

Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44, Fynestboi
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Nobody: 12:15am On Apr 30, 2017
Toyin001:
Hmm, it happens that way actually, but you got your back once what you're saying his correct.

Thank you

Lol, Sorry about your being not fine!
How did you quote different persons at same time
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by EmpowermentUs: 12:50am On Apr 30, 2017
Omagago:

I have join Nairaland now it's time for government to empowerment us

1 Like

Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by THUNDAR(m): 3:08am On Apr 30, 2017
The only correct English that people understand is

Foreign Rice for that shop na 350 for mudu

Ah

You have spoken the English of the age!

My people are hungry!

So weather my barber, barber your barber or both barbers decide to barber each other all na nice cut!
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by DjAndroid: 5:52am On Apr 30, 2017
But I also think that

"I was shaving my hair when you called me" is wrong.

Since "Shaving" is the process of cutting hair, it will be out of place to add "my hair" in the sentence again.

Hence, it should be...

"I was shaving when you called me"

I stand to be corrected.
Re: Hi Nigerians, These Sentence(s) Do Not Exist [You Won't Believe This] by Toyin001: 9:36pm On Apr 30, 2017
DjAndroid:
But I also think that

"I was shaving my hair when you called me" is wrong.

Since "Shaving" is the process of cutting hair, it will be out of place to add "my hair" in the sentence again.

Hence, it should be...

"I was shaving when you called me"

I stand to be corrected.

Right, shaving is basically for the beard so you still have to specify, as also even when you are eliminating hair from your armpit, you'll have to day you're shaving your armpit. Hence, specification is important as well

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals / (photo) Check Out Exam Sitting Arrangement At All Hallows Seminary Onitsha / See What A Secondary School Graduate Posted On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.