Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,089 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:01 AM

Between Quadcore And Octacore - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Between Quadcore And Octacore (2323 Views)

Users Of Bryte One 7" Octacore Tablet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Quadcore And Octacore by kaymart: 6:02pm On Apr 29, 2017
A lot of people will reject phones with Quadcore processors for octacore processors.
What comparative advantage does Octacore processors have over Quadcore processors? Are the advantage(s) significant?
Anyone with good knowledge about this should come help us out?.
The Tecno L9 recently unveiled into the market is Quadcore based.
If the functions and features of our phones are significantly dependent on the capacity of their processors, how come more devices (phones and tabs) are still being produced with their processors being Quadcore.

I don't really know much about phone compartments and softwares, but I just felt, this piece will help a lot of people out there, myself inclusive especially when it comes down to our choice of devices. So, we will always get good value for our money and we 'll buy solely based on need and not just for buying sake.
Thanks.
Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by SUPERPACK: 6:16pm On Apr 29, 2017
kaymart:
A lot of people will reject phones that are Quadcore for octacore.
pls, how does being octacore enhances the features of phones.
Techno L9 recently unveiled into the market is Quadcore based.
If this affect the features of service rendered by our phones, how come more of this still are produced in this format?

I dont really know much about phones, jus felt, this will help a lot of people out there, myself inclusive.
Thanks.
tecno, infinix etc produce phones based on their target market preference e.g battery life, camera, beauty etc, thats why the normally make quadcore devices, the octacore devices are normally for HD gaming, and using heavy apps, .
the difference is just processing speed and the device ability to run smoothly without hanging. truely an average nigerian does nt knw or have any need for an octacore device,

1 Like

Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by georgeben205(m): 6:46pm On Apr 29, 2017
SUPERPACK:
tecno, infinix etc produce phones based on their target market preference e.g battery life, camera, beauty etc, thats why most of their device normally produce quadcore device, the octacore devices are normally for HD gaming, and using heavy apps, .
the difference is just processing speed and the device ability to run smoothly without hanging. truely an average nigerian does nt knw or have any need for an octacore device,
guy you're very wrong on your text abt the octacore, octacore is not higher than quadcore or quarantee smooth gaming or heavy usage. quote me back if you really want to knw abt both cores and there difference and which to go for
Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by SUPERPACK: 6:54pm On Apr 29, 2017
georgeben205:
guy you're very wrong on your text abt the octacore, octacore is not higher than quadcore or quarantee smooth gaming or heavy usage. quote me back if you really want to knw abt both cores and there difference and which to go for
whats the difference?
Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by georgeben205(m): 7:20pm On Apr 29, 2017
SUPERPACK:
whats the difference?
If we are talking in terms of numbers, the classification is ultra-simple. Octa Core Processors have Eight different processor cores in those chips. On the other hand, when it comes to the case of Quad Core processors, there are only Four processor cores only. But, this does not mean that an octa-core processor is twice as powerful as a quad-core chip. There are other factors involved in there, the major one being the organization of processor cores. Octacore are just two sets of quadcore, quad lower sets and quad higher sets, that doesn't kickoff simultaneously, meaning both sets of quad cores doesn't come in action at once but are give specific and separate tasks, eg the lower sets of core kicks start if u re not going heavy, but when a hd game or app that requires more power and visual card is running then the higher core kicks start. the octacore has the only advantage of saving ba3 and most times preventing device from super hotness

2 Likes

Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by NCP: 8:03pm On Apr 29, 2017
The Fact that you don't have FriedRice or Jollof Rice doesn't mean we should settle for your rice & sour stew.

Alternatives dey for other eateries.

kaymart:
A lot of people will reject phones that are Quadcore for octacore.
pls, how does being octacore enhances the features of phones.
Techno L9 recently unveiled into the market is Quadcore based.
If this affect the features of service rendered by our phones, how come more of this still are produced in this format?

I dont really know much about phones, jus felt, this will help a lot of people out there, myself inclusive.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by shedy03(m): 8:12pm On Apr 29, 2017
georgeben205:
If we are talking in terms of numbers, the classification is ultra-simple. Octa Core Processors have Eight different processor cores in those chips. On the other hand, when it comes to the case of Quad Core processors, there are only Four processor cores only. But, this does not mean that an octa-core processor is twice as powerful as a quad-core chip. There are other factors involved in there, the major one being the organization of processor cores. Octacore are just two sets of quadcore, quad lower sets and quad higher sets, that doesn't kickoff simultaneously, meaning both sets of quad cores doesn't come in action at once but are give specific and separate tasks, eg the lower sets of core kicks start if u re not going heavy, but when a hd game or app that requires more power and visual card is running then the higher core kicks start. the octacore has the only advantage of saving ba3 and most times preventing device from super hotness
by this your analysis, you have confirm the superiority of octacore processor over quadcore. thus, an octacore phone will operate smoothly with little or no lagging than a quadcore phone. therefore, octacore is higher than quadcore and guarantee smooth gaming or heavy usage.
Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by Drdreyy: 8:31pm On Apr 29, 2017
Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by Nobody: 8:33pm On Apr 29, 2017
NCP:
The Fact that you don't have FriedRice or Jollof Rice doesn't mean we should settle for your rice & sour stew.

Hahaaaaaaa but coconut rice dey na
Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by Drdreyy: 8:33pm On Apr 29, 2017
georgeben205:
If we are talking in terms of numbers, the classification is ultra-simple. Octa Core Processors have Eight different processor cores in those chips. On the other hand, when it comes to the case of Quad Core processors, there are only Four processor cores only. But, this does not mean that an octa-core processor is twice as powerful as a quad-core chip. There are other factors involved in there, the major one being the organization of processor cores. Octacore are just two sets of quadcore, quad lower sets and quad higher sets, that doesn't kickoff simultaneously, meaning both sets of quad cores doesn't come in action at once but are give specific and separate tasks, eg the lower sets of core kicks start if u re not going heavy, but when a hd game or app that requires more power and visual card is running then the higher core kicks start the octacore has the only advantage of saving ba3 and most times preventing device from super hotness

@the Boldened, you have still not convinced us that quad-core and octacore are at par. the first guy was right. with this your analysis it's obvious quad-core will have trouble running some specific apps and thus it will lag.

I have once tried installing NBA14 (HD game) on a quad-core device and it failed to install. meanwhile it was running smoothly and flawlessly on infinix hotnote (octacore device).
Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by georgeben205(m): 8:49pm On Apr 29, 2017
Drdreyy:

@the Boldened, you have still not convinced us that quad-core and octacore are at par. the first guy was right. with this your analysis it's obvious quad-core will have trouble running some specific apps and thus it will lag.

I have once tried installing NBA14 (HD game) on a quad-core device and it failed to install. meanwhile it was running smoothly and flawlessly on infinix hotnote (octacore device).
Bro suite yourself, i don't have time to type everything here, i have lots of work to do. if only it was a voice interaction then u would have understood well.
Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by georgeben205(m): 8:53pm On Apr 29, 2017
shedy03:

by this your analysis, you have confirm the superiority of octacore processor over quadcore. thus, an octacore phone will operate smoothly with little or no lagging than a quadcore phone. therefore, octacore is higher than quadcore and guarantee smooth gaming or heavy usage.
Guy i would have only explained better for u if only it was a voice chat. i can't type long here bcus i have lots of things doing.
Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by kaymart: 9:01pm On Apr 29, 2017
NCP:

Don't get it wrong man. Presently, I use one of the most sophisticated Android phones available.
Creating this thread has nothing to do with what's available or what is not. Rather, it's based solely on curiosity. So, don't always jump into conclusion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by ryfoz(m): 10:17pm On Apr 29, 2017
kaymart:

Don't get it wrong man. Presently, I use one of the most sophisticated Android phone available.
Creating this thread has nothing to do with what's available or what is not. Rather, it's based solely on curiosity. So, don't always jump into conclusion.

I'm interested to know which manufacturer and phone model it is; if you feel like sharing - the "sophisticated" got me "curious"
Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by kaymart: 10:47pm On Apr 29, 2017
ryfoz:

I'm interested to know which manufacturer and phone model it is; if you feel like sharing - the "sophisticated" got me "curious"

I really do not think that would be necessary here. I believe ubgot d message already.
Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by SirKriz(m): 11:42pm On Apr 29, 2017
Your average octa-core MTK devices have a set of 4 high performance cores and another set of 4 power saving cores that switches according to your current needs.

If you keep other variables (such as processor type, speed, RAM size, power supply etc) constant, an octa-core device will definitely perform better than a quad-core device since you have more room for better flexibility.

1 Like

Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by Mckandre(m): 6:20am On Apr 30, 2017
This is petty, an octa core processor doesn't mean chipset will perform better than a quad core. this whole thing boils down to the chipset optimization and arrangement.
To complicate everything further, the architecture and capabilities of these cores might not be the same. Another thing to note; when it comes to clock speed, it is the GHz speed number given next to each processor. The higher the clock speed the faster the core can complete a given task. U myt be thinking that a deca-core processor like mtk helio x20 is pretty powerful, that ain't right . However, most smartphone functions and apps are single-threaded, which points out that each app or function can be handled by just one core at a time. Eventually, even if you are playing a heavy game on a deca-core processor equipped phone, only a single core will be used for the task. In that case, a dual-core processor with higher clock speed will be better in terms of performance in comparison to a deca-core processor.
Have u ever wondered why flagship phones maintain the quad core and dualcore chipset such as samsung and iPhone? While MTK is busy adding more cores to their helio series chipsets,its not always about numbers, the chipset optimization and arrangements is all that matters. That's why I like snapdragon chipsets because every resources used is well accounted for.

5 Likes

Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by Gptech(m): 7:15am On Apr 30, 2017
Mckandre:
This is petty, an octa core processor doesn't mean chipset will perform better than a quad core. this whole thing boils down to the chipset optimization and arrangement.
To complicate everything further, the architecture and capabilities of these cores might not be the same. Another thing to note; when it comes to clock speed, it is the GHz speed number given next to each processor. The higher the clock speed the faster the core can complete a given task. U myt be thinking that a deca-core processor like mtk helio x20 is pretty powerful, that ain't right . However, most smartphone functions and apps are single-threaded, which points out that each app or function can be handled by just one core at a time. Eventually, even if you are playing a heavy game on a deca-core processor equipped phone, only a single core will be used for the task. In that case, a dual-core processor with higher clock speed will be better in terms of performance in comparison to a deca-core processor.
Have u ever wondered why flagship phones maintain the quad core and dualcore chipset such as samsung and iPhone? While MTK is busy adding more cores to their helio series chipsets,its not always about numbers, the chipset optimization and arrangements is all that matters. That's why I like snapdragon chipsets because every resources used is well accounted for.
Well said, I wonder why people like generalising. You can't say an octacore processor is better than a quad-core, but it's safe to say octacore should be better, if both are made of exactly these same processor, similar arrangement, optimised similarly, etc, but even at that you can't even say the octacore will be better, because of other complexities. Those saying octacore is faster, do you mean any octacore from last year was anywhere near the quad-core snapdragon 820/823? No octacore mtk processor could even come close to the hexacore snapdragon 650/652.
Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by kaymart: 8:30am On Apr 30, 2017
Mckandre:
wow.....detailed
Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by kaymart: 8:30am On Apr 30, 2017
Mckandre:
wow.....detailed analysis
Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by Kondomatic(m): 8:59am On Apr 30, 2017
Drdreyy:

The apps failure to install has to do with OS and Processor optimization.

I don't think there's an app that uses 8cores at once so octacore's advantage over quadcore is that tasks are split over the entire cores when in heavy use which results in less heat and better battery performance.

What guarantees breezy flow of apps in most cases is optimization of processor and os not number of cores, IPhone 7 is a quadcore device and apples dual core devices are better than quadcore Android phones.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by yorex2011: 9:39am On Apr 30, 2017
Mckandre:

You know your stuff...

Especially about the single threaded apps..

A dual core 1.7ghz may perform better than a quad core 1.5ghz in most circumstances
Eg
Xperia SP vs Xperia ZR..
Re: Between Quadcore And Octacore by Mckandre(m): 11:06am On Apr 30, 2017
Gptech:

Well said, I wonder why people like generalising. You can't say an octacore processor is better than a quad-core, but it's safe to say octacore should be better, if both are made of exactly these same processor, similar arrangement, optimised similarly, etc, but even at that you can't even say the octacore will be better, because of other complexities. Those saying octacore is faster, do you mean any octacore from last year was anywhere near the quad-core snapdragon 820/823? No octacore mtk processor could even come close to the hexacore snapdragon 650/652.
even at that, last gen octa core can't beat current gen quadcore it goes like that due to the fact that current gen has been optimized with enough efficiency. Ve u noticed that AnTuTu score of deca-core Helio x20 is higher than The optimized quadcore snapdragon 625? but when it comes to real life usage,snapdragon 625 beats the Helio x20 in efficiency. AnTuTu benchmark utilizes all processors at once thereby giving the Helio x20 an edge over the snapdragon 625,While in real life experience no app or system process can use all those resources at once.
Theirs more efficiency in power and energy with snapdragon 625 than in last gen helio x20, after the long run helio x20 performance will reduce due to overheating but the snapdragon efficient power and performance will keep blazing and still have more conserved energy to complete task.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Please How Can One Trace A Lost Phone: Gionee M6 / What Should I Go For Btw Infinix Hot 6, Pouvor 2 And Cammon Cx Or L9 Plus / Tecno Pop2 Playstore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.