Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,550 members, 7,823,417 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone (18291 Views)

The Best Way To Avoid Phone Thieves From Gaining Access To Your Account / 5 Smart Safety Tips to protect your Kids Online / 5 Smart Phones With Best Cameras In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by babaghost: 6:08pm On Apr 29, 2017
You have lost a phone to thieves before. The experience is very bitter. Annoyingly, the phone will disappear without your knowledge. After the phone has grown wings, that is it and many of us scarcely do anything about it. We just move on. Meanwhile, the phone thief is confidently using your phone calling your friends and demanding for money. Many have fallen victim to this theft. In line with this, jumia travel, the leading online travel agency gathers 5 ways to stop thieves from using your mobile phone.

Block the SIM card

Most times, the SIM card is the first thing thieves get rid of when they steal your phone. Others do not bother to remove it but they won’t pick your calls. Since, you are using your phone to perform all sorts of transactions, you should contact your service provider immediately to block it.

Lock it

You can simply setup a password that will prevent others from using your phone. The code will be activated when an unauthorised person accesses it. In some cases, when you lock it, it will render the phone completely unusable.

Use your phone’s built-in features

There are phone features that you can activate to prepare your phone for any theft. On Android phones, you can use the Android Device Manger. You can access the manager online and it will help you locate your phone. On iOS, you have to set up find my phone feature. You can use it to find, text and wipe your device. You can do all these when the phone is switched on.

Insure your phone

For Nigerians who use expensive phones, they can insure it. It will be replaced by the insurance firm. You don’t need to worry about your device being stolen. But that doesn’t mean you should be careless.

Report to the police

You can also make a report to the police. They can help you launch a manhunt to get back your phone.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by merxi55(f): 6:20pm On Apr 29, 2017
Okay.. .thanks. really was useful.
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Nobody: 8:10am On Apr 30, 2017

Story

Lock your phone ?? Hold the down volume button and the power button at the same time, it will break everything in that phone and reset it to a factory default

In the USA, you can buy an iPhone 7 for $50 and be paying a monthly fee for it till you complete the $800 original price, you can't use the phone on another network and if you stop paying for the phone, it will be useless, people do unlock it, stop the monthly payments and start using other networks on it

Tell this story to bus drivers in ogun state

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by madridguy(m): 8:12am On Apr 30, 2017
Thanks @ OP.

1 Like

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Nobody: 8:12am On Apr 30, 2017
Bros, if your phone got stolen in Nigeria, just forget about it and start contributing money for another one

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by adriel7(f): 8:13am On Apr 30, 2017
Lolz.. Report to Nigerian Police? grin

25 Likes

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by sakalisis(m): 8:13am On Apr 30, 2017
shocked
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Lighthouseman: 8:13am On Apr 30, 2017
Police and man hunt for phone is the funny part

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by MhissBelva(f): 8:13am On Apr 30, 2017
Noted
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Nobody: 8:14am On Apr 30, 2017
undecided undecided undecided
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by HRich(m): 8:14am On Apr 30, 2017
grin

3 Likes

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by repogirl(f): 8:14am On Apr 30, 2017
Na Nigerian Police go launch manhunt for you? undecided

Once dat phone is gone, it is gone baby, gone! Even if na palasa.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by KingLennon(m): 8:15am On Apr 30, 2017
Always write down your IMEI number which is a 15 digit number. Once your phone is stolen, with the IMEI number you can block your sim card. Go to your bank and change your phone number too
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Oluwasaeon(m): 8:21am On Apr 30, 2017
I tried switching SIMS on my gf's HOT S recently, during the process, the phone displayed a Privacy Protection Password bla bla... I ignored cos I never remembered setting it up for her,the phone then sent about 5 messages to my own phone automatically saying the phone had been stolen. After inserting the SIM, the Privacy shit still wouldn't leave the screen, I restarted, same thing, powered off the phone and since then the phone no gree come up again. The phone believed it was stolen but I dey beg d phone say na me buy am na,dakun. Don't know what to do, how can I steal the phone I bought. Just tryna follow up on what op said, abeg if anyone knows what I can do. Thanks and Happy Sunday

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by number5(m): 8:22am On Apr 30, 2017
All these are stories

If ur phone is stolen in naija, forget it, they can crack open any lockup .

And who would steal ur phone and still use ur sim anyway?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by ennysuccess(m): 8:22am On Apr 30, 2017
cheesy
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by number5(m): 8:24am On Apr 30, 2017
Oluwasaeon:
I tried switching SIMS on my gf's HOT S recently, during the process, the phone displayed a Privacy Protection Password bla bla... I ignored cos I never remembered setting it up for her,the phone then sent about 5 messages to my own phone automatically saying the phone had been stolen. After inserting the SIM, the Privacy shit still wouldn't leave the screen, I restarted, same thing, powered off the phone and since then the phone no gree come up again. The phone believed it was stolen but I dey beg d phone say na me buy am na,dakun. Don't know what to do, how can I steal the phone I bought. Just tryna follow up on what op said, abeg if anyone knows what I can do. Thanks and Happy Sunday

Lol.. funny story.

Anyway, google has the answer
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Oluwasaeon(m): 8:27am On Apr 30, 2017
number5:

Lol.. funny story.

Anyway, google has the answer
Bro very funny, all Google said was try a hard reset. The phone no even gree hard reset. I know it's def software not hardware, thinking about taking it back to Slot but it was my fault na
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by RealLordZeus(m): 8:33am On Apr 30, 2017
Oluwasaeon:
Ask your gf for the privacy protection password na........ Next

2 Likes

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by DjAndroid: 8:36am On Apr 30, 2017
On the last option here, sorry if you report to the police, the money wey them go collect from you go buy the phone, forget that option.

I told my police friend, a high ranking police officer that armed robbers are terrorizing my area. I expected him to mobilize his men to the area, but he simply told me to park out of that area.

8 Likes

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by ztanleechima(m): 8:36am On Apr 30, 2017
The last option says report to the police, WHICH POLICE

1 Like

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Joephat(m): 8:36am On Apr 30, 2017
This op is far from reality.

Report to the Police?

The best thing to do is to call another phone thief who will help you to identify the thief who stole your phone..

That's why you have to be very loyal in your street, that's if it happened in your street but if not in your street, my brother forget it..

1 Like

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Oluwasaeon(m): 8:37am On Apr 30, 2017
RealLordZeus:

Ask your gf for the privacy protection password na........ Next
Boss she isn't tech savvy, so I did all on the phone. I don't think I set it up for her, worst thing, the Privacy shi didn't allow fingerprint. I'm not sure I did
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Nobody: 8:41am On Apr 30, 2017
Report a lost phone to the Nigerian police?
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by KKKWHITE(m): 8:42am On Apr 30, 2017
Insure your phone
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Mckandre(m): 8:45am On Apr 30, 2017
That's why I like Xiaomi phones, once a pson doesn't know ur Mi account pin,he can't operate the phone despite even if he flashes the phone,brick and reset, smash and couple it back. Once u can't enter the pin during bootup, the phone is good as vegetable. grin

6 Likes

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by iammrjaai(m): 8:48am On Apr 30, 2017
op....i just dey laugh you in Spanish....i don't think you have lost your phone before...

1 Like

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by gbzed(m): 8:57am On Apr 30, 2017
Report to the police

You can also make a report to the police. They can help you launch a manhunt to get back your phone.
Shey na for dis Nigeria or where
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 30, 2017
Op wasnt really making sense from the start..

He then worsened the situation by saying "report to the police"
Which police be dat one?
Op is definitely not referring to the Nigerian police

If dem steal your phone 4 naija..forget it...go get anoda one.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Do MTN Welcome Back Easily / How To Identify A Fake Or Original Tecno Phone And Battery / Mtn New Time Data Bundle.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.