Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,752 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

The American-nigerians In Our Midst - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The American-nigerians In Our Midst (697 Views)

Boko Haram In Our Midst, Please Help Me To Save People That I Can Not Save. / 30 Facts About Owners Of Nigeria’s Richest Oil Blocks In The Midst Of Poverty / Influential Ritualists In Our Midst? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The American-nigerians In Our Midst by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jan 06, 2010
The way some Nigerians fix their heads tightly into American affairs makes me wonder whether they are Actually Nigerians or Americans. This muttalab thing raised too much dust simply because America is involved. 19 hijackers from saudi arabia attacked America on 9/11 and the saudis never losed sleep about it. What would have happened if there were 19 muttalabs? Am sure we would have been humilated far more than the saudis cos the Americans know that Nigerians are a bunch of ass-lickers and powerless.
Re: The American-nigerians In Our Midst by Kobojunkie: 7:20pm On Jan 06, 2010
Hogwash!!! Please let us not try to make this about America at all. The main reason why we have had to deal with so much hoopla on the Nigerian end is because people ( Nigerians) who are used to pretending Nigeria has a SQUEEKY CLEAN image( all negative publicity comes from foreigners plotting conspiracies against Nigeria) are suddenly faced with a new reality, that some Nigerians are capable of terrorist acts, not against people of different ethnicities but different countries.
Re: The American-nigerians In Our Midst by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jan 06, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Hogwash!!! Please let us not try to make this about America at all. The main reason why we have had to deal with so much hoopla on the Nigerian end is because people ( Nigerians) who are used to pretending Nigeria has a SQUEEKY CLEAN image( all negative publicity comes from foreigners plotting conspiracies against Nigeria) are suddenly faced with a new reality, that some Nigerians are capable of terrorist acts, not against people of different ethnicities but different countries.
I don't get your point here.

I'm yet to meet, know of or see a single Nigerian who pretends Nigeria has a squeeky clean image.

Arn't we the same people including yourself who castigate, lampoon and lambast ourselves and  other Nigerians for their negative deeds??

I do think threadstarer has a point however, i think we need stop comparing ourself with others.
What we need to do is deal with issues pertaining to us and not look else for a pat on the back, consolation or forgiveness when we do something wrong.
Re: The American-nigerians In Our Midst by Kobojunkie: 7:38pm On Jan 06, 2010
OMO IBO:

I don't get your point here.

I'm yet to meet, know of or see a single Nigerian who pretends Nigeria has a squeeky clean image.
I have !

OMO IBO:

Arn't we the same people including yourself who castigate, lampoon and lambast ourselves and other Nigerians for their negative deeds??
What has that to do with this please? Is that your understanding of what the @Poster is alluding to here?

OMO IBO:

I do think threadstarer has a point however, i think we need stop comparing ourself with others.
Comparing ourselves with others? I am not sure I even follow you at this point!

OMO IBO:

What we need to do is deal with issues pertaining to us and not look else for a pat on the back, consolation or forgiveness when we do something wrong.
HUH? You have completely lost me at this point.

From my understanding, the @poster is referring to the Nigerian reaction to the issue, sort of like we have taken it to a whole nother level that even the saudi’s did not when 9/11 happened. I am not sure this is about comparing ourselves with others or NOT condemning wrong when we see it.

@Poster, are you referring in some way to comparing Nigeria with some other group, or something?
Re: The American-nigerians In Our Midst by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jan 06, 2010
I have !
I doubt this. But then again your opinion.

What has that to do with this please?  Is that your understanding of what the @Poster is alluding to here?
This is in response to your comment claiming that there some Nigerian's who believe Nigeria has a clean image.

Comparing ourselves with others? I am not sure I even follow you at this point!
I thought it was very explanatory but i'll try again.
I was referring to this (from threadstarters initial post):
19 hijackers from saudi arabia attacked America on 9/11 and the saudis never losed sleep about it

My post was largely in response to yours and not the posters although, I believe my initial comment was clear as to who and what I was responding to.
Re: The American-nigerians In Our Midst by Kobojunkie: 8:08pm On Jan 06, 2010
OMO IBO:

I doubt this. But then again your opinion.
This is in response to your comment claiming that there some Nigerian's who believe Nigeria has a clean image.
I thought it was very explanatory but i'll try again.
I was referring to this (from threadstarters initial post):
My post was largely in response to yours and not the posters although, I believe my initial comment was clear as to who and what I was responding to.
If you really meant the bit about your post being in response to mine, then I really have to let you know I am unable to make the connection.

Yes, I have encountered people who believe that Nigerian does not really have a bad image but does more bad PO jobs. If you have never met these people, then I suggest you spend some time reading some of the posts here on Nairaland. We have diehard patriots who will go as far as to tell you that Nigerians are just as corrupt as other countries, only that we do not know how to cover up our tracks as they do. You will even read of people claiming the WEST is setting Nigeria up because of Oil and that is why Nigeria continues to remain on so many blacklists.

Your comment on comparing Nigeria to other countries, I just have to say, I agree with not comparing Nigeria with any other country as I know for a fact that tactic is used as reason to EXCUSE a lot of the ills we have currently in our society.
Just yesterday, I told someone of how pathetic a statement made, that $3 billion dollars was not enough to accomplish much in a state of about 5 million people, was. The poster then proceeded to inform me that his statement was legit since a state in an already developed country, with population of about 11.5 million, had about $24 billion in budget money. Now this comparison was made to rationalize the claim that $3 billion in an underdeveloped state, in an underdeveloped country, with a population of about 5 million, cannot be used to accomplish much.
So, yes, I think we ought not to compare ourselves with others in such a way as to EXCUSE continued ineptitude and the lackadaisical approach to dealing with our affairs.

Now, back to the post, Yes, I do believe most of those raising dust with the recent terrorism issue happen to be Nigerians who have sort of sheltered themselves from much of our reality. Before this incident, we have been on the list of potential terrorist nation, alongside Afghanistan, Iran, for quite some time now. This incident only helped to drive the news home for many more than older news has, in my opinion.
Re: The American-nigerians In Our Midst by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jan 06, 2010
Yes, I have encountered people who believe that Nigerian does not really have a bad image but does more bad PO jobs.
The above comment is in stack contrast to this:
The main reason why we have had to deal with so much hoopla on the Nigerian end is because people ( Nigerians) who are used to pretending Nigeria has a SQUEEKY CLEAN image

Guess what, both comments were made by you.

I agree with every other thing you said but if you could please reconcile the above or at least admit that was an error.
Re: The American-nigerians In Our Midst by Ikengawo: 8:19pm On Jan 06, 2010
i agree with the original poster, nigerians want white ppl to treasure them more then they want to live, and any instance of a white person not treasuring them cause panic, then after the panic they start insulting their country and total agreement witht he white person.

i saw a youtube video of a white guy that didn't like lagos was posted on here.

A YOUTUBE VIDEO OF A WHITE GUY THAT DIDN'T LIKE LAGOS

and it was titled 'that the world thinks about lagos'

1 white man is suddenly THE WORLD. tell me it would have had that same title if the guy was a cameroonian or african american.

it's pathetic.
Re: The American-nigerians In Our Midst by Kobojunkie: 8:21pm On Jan 06, 2010
OMO IBO:

The above comment is in stack contrast to this:
Guess what, both comments were made by you.
I am sorry but I don’t see what in the two comments you do not understand. I made the first and THEN I made the second. If you have never encountered any of the two, that is fine but I don’t see how one is unable to make the two statements , according to you.

OMO IBO:

I agree with every other thing you said but if you could please reconcile the above or at least admit that was an error.
It was not an error! I made those statements and I stand by them.
Re: The American-nigerians In Our Midst by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jan 06, 2010
Kobo, No wahala.
Re: The American-nigerians In Our Midst by deor03(m): 8:31pm On Jan 06, 2010
Ikengawo:

i agree with the original poster, nigerians want white ppl to treasure them more then they want to live, and any instance of a white person not treasuring them cause panic, then after the panic they start insulting their country and total agreement witht he white person.

i saw a youtube video of a white guy that didn't like lagos was posted on here.

A YOUTUBE VIDEO OF A WHITE GUY THAT DIDN'T LIKE LAGOS

and it was titled 'that the world thinks about lagos'

1 white man is suddenly THE WORLD. tell me it would have had that same title if the guy was a cameroonian or african american.

it's pathetic.

It is really pathetic. Most Nigerians consciously or unconsciously seek approval from the white man for any action.

It is in our subconscious, that is why we bring a "white man" to,  construct a gutters, coach super eagles , fly our planes, manage our projects ,manage NITEL,advice our governments, drill our oils etc.
Re: The American-nigerians In Our Midst by Liedetect: 8:49pm On Jan 06, 2010
It is to be remembered that many posting on this board are not of Nigerian decent.
Re: The American-nigerians In Our Midst by trueword: 12:12am On Jan 07, 2010
deor03:

It is really pathetic. Most Nigerians consciously or unconsciously seek approval from the white man for any action.

It is in our subconscious, that is why we bring a "white man" to, construct a gutters, coach super eagles , fly our planes, manage our projects ,manage NITEL,advice our governments, drill our oils etc.

This happens because the people controlling naija don't care about developing the human resource in naija. They have long neglected the education system. Without a strong education system, how do you expect all the projects to not be handed over to whites. Even when there are jobs that locals can do well, the politicians have this inferiority complex and believe that the white man will do a better job. It's just too bad. There are plenty of brilliant naija people in naija that aren't given the oportunity to shine
Re: The American-nigerians In Our Midst by Ikengawo: 8:59am On Jan 07, 2010
here's the flaw in your post
the ppl getting the best educations in white ppls countries are nigerians lol
a poll said nigerians qwere the best educated minority in the US, im sure its either indians or nigerians in the UK as well

so you can say that the white ppl are getting hired for education purposes

its cause nigerians strive for the white man's approval.

a white person comes in and says nigeria is the 3rd most corrupt country in the world and you start cursing your own mother without asking how the hell did he get this information in a country that hardly has a census, and if he REALLY checked every country in the world just to be sure.
Re: The American-nigerians In Our Midst by Beaf: 9:54am On Jan 07, 2010
I am wondering if this thread is secretly canvassing support for Mutallab?
The fact that the govt was unable to put together a cogent response cannot be blamed on Nigerians living in or born in the US; it is a shameful derelection of duty to say so.

That Nigerians (including those in govt) suffer from colonial mentality is nothing new and is one of our most serious problems. However, bringing that up as some sort of attack against the revulsion the man on the street feels toward the actions of Farouk Mutallab is totally out of context.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Police And Killing / A Must Read For A True Nigerian Youth / Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.