Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

Nollywood And The Problem Of Language - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood And The Problem Of Language (401 Views)

Latest Nollywood And Africa Movies - Trailers, Behind The Scenes, Comedy Etc. / How To Join The Nollywood And Become A Nigeria Actor Or Actress / Ugah Undiluted: Nigerian Director Talks South African Films, Nollywood And ..... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nollywood And The Problem Of Language by ponti93(m): 8:37am On Apr 30, 2017
NOLLYWOOD AND THE PROBLEM OF LANGUAGE

Nigerian Movie would want to show that Queen Nwaokoye is the village uneducated or illiterate girl who either aspires to be educated, or desires to make great things out of life. To drive home this point, she'll be speaking a very poor English. For example; "I doesn't knowing how to do it". "I liking how you looking at me". "I needing money to eat the food that is hungering me". Etc. Actually, it's worse than I exemplified. But that is not my problem. So, what then is?

Throughout the whole village and inside the whole film, everybody else will be speaking correctly. Everybody. Including her mother and father, her brothers and sisters, friends and enemies, village jesters, drunks, children and adults, everyone speaks English. And correctly so. Everyone except, of course, Queen Nwaokoye! So, it means that every other person in the film is literate and educated and speaks fluently apart from that one major character. Nollywood, why?

Couldn't you guys solve this problem of language more creatively and imaginatively? First of all, wouldn't you find some way of stratifying the characters according to class and levels, and then, give them different languages? What happened to combining indigenous, pidgin and then English, using differentials to demarcate and delineate them? What about trying verisimilitude by researching on what actually obtains with such cadre and class of people in real human situations? And other options too?

The fact that we love to love you guys and support the industry in Nigeria doesn't mean we don't see all these things. We hope you guys do not think that you're busy mesmerizing us the whole time? Please. Let this stop. Ehee, one more thing. There are boom microphones and etc that go with the camera during shooting. Enough of the shouting please. It's not the noisier the more engaging. Actors can talk, just in the same way humans do.

Tenkiu!
Written by jj agada aguzie

1 Like

Re: Nollywood And The Problem Of Language by ghettowriter(m): 8:41am On Apr 30, 2017
Nice observation.
Re: Nollywood And The Problem Of Language by Rtopzy(f): 9:01am On Apr 30, 2017
Na today?? that's why I dn't watch Nigerian movies.... their ideas are primitive nd repulsive

(1) (Reply)

The Will Kill You At Your Homes,nnamdi Kanu Reveals Those Behind Anambra Church / Will Be Meeting Up On The / The Flash Or Arrow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.