Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,867 members, 7,828,089 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun (825 Views)

Autonomy For State Legislatures, Judiciary: Buhari, Governors Meet In Aso Rock / Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary / Obasanjo Visits Gov. Amosun At His Oke-mosan,abeokuta Office(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by Blue3k(m): 10:19pm On Apr 30, 2017
By Emmanuel Elebeke & Joseph Erunke

The Ogun State Governor, Ibukunle Amosun has said heeding to the clamour for Local Governments’ autonomy in the country will free the states from financial burden.

Governor Amosun made the declaration while responding to the conferment of outstanding achievement award in governance by the Nigerian Union of Journalists, NUJ during its 62nd anniversary lecture held on Thursday night in Abuja.

The Governor said Local Governments in his state have become a burden to his government as they cannot generate enough revenue to run them contrary to public perception that state governors divert their allocation into other uses.

He said his administration will support the clamour for the autonomy of Local Governments in so far as they can be self sustaining without state governors augment their expenses as he is currently doing in his state.

“I clearly support the clamour for Local Government autonomy, yes, if they can be self sustaining. But if they cannot, there will be no need. People will not know what we are passing through to pay salaries and wages of Local Governments. I can tell you that Local Governments in Ogun State are burden to my government, I don not know for other states.

“One thing that gladdens my heart is that we have nothing to hide. These days, governors are endangered species. But for me, he that cannot be cancelled cannot be saved. It is when criticism like this come that one can take a deep look and make corrections.

“It is a learning process; we will look at it and see where we can make our own contribution. The National Assembly will play its part and we will play our part also. I want to assure you that all of us know that it is not the way it is.

“Even the money we receive for Local Governments in Ogun State this month cannot pay primary school teachers. When people say governors take local governments money, I wonder where the money is. Yes, I know there may be some imperfections, but we will get there.

“The Local Governments do have any money as people think. The N2 billion allocation we received this month for instance cannot pay teachers salary, not to talk of political staff and others. Last month we had to augment local governments with over N2 billion. So, you can see that Local Governments in Ogun States is like a burden to us.”

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/04/autonomy-local-governments-will-free-states-financial-burden-gov-amosun/

Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by omohayek: 10:42pm On Apr 30, 2017
If the LGAs can't support themselves by raising funds through local taxes, so be it - let them either fold up shop or merge with neighbors. No matter what the outcome, what isn't justifiable is the current system whereby the LGAs are mere puppets of state governors; better to have broke but truly independent LGAs than to have puppet organizations with no genuine local control.

4 Likes

Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by EVarn(m): 10:49pm On Apr 30, 2017
I feel that we must first restructure our federalism before giving the LGs full autonomy.Some LGs are not even viable and there are cases where boundary is disputed.
We do not want to have a situation where LG chairmen use tax payers' money to sponsor their personnal political ambition in a bid to get to Abuja.
Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by omohayek: 10:53pm On Apr 30, 2017
EVarn:
I feel that we must first restructure our federalism before giving the LGs full autonomy.Some LGs are not even viable and there are cases where boundary is disputed.
We do not want to have a situation where LG chairmen use tax payers' money to sponsor their personnal political ambition in a bid to get to Abuja.
This is a terrible excuse for devolving power to the LGAs. If you and your neighbors decide that you don't care how your tax money is spent by your LGA chairman, that is your problem and no one else's. At least you'd have the choice whether or not to do something about it, which is better than the current situation where chairman are appointed and dismissed at the whims of state governors, and LGA elections are postponed indefinitely.

1 Like

Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by BabaRamota1980: 11:02pm On Apr 30, 2017
Why is Amosun talking about Local Govt autonomy where rest of Yoruba is agitating for regional govt? People like Amosun are the sellouts we need to watch for.
Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by EVarn(m): 11:13pm On Apr 30, 2017
omohayek:

This is a terrible excuse for devolving power to the LGAs. If you and your neighbors decide that you don't care how your tax money is spent by your LGA chairman, that is your problem and no one else's. At least you'd have the choice whether or not to do something about it, which is better than the current situation where chairman are appointed and dismissed at the whims of state governors, and LGA elections are postponed indefinitely.
And what are the taxpayers supposed to do if the LGs embezzle funds?,protest?,when power has already been given to them to work all manner of political mischief(we'd probably have given them power over the LG police people are clamouring for and even executive immunity).
In any case,I think it may be a good idea anyway,lets try it.Democracy is all about trial and error.
Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by Blue3k(m): 12:04am On May 01, 2017
I don't believe most of his claims. Maybe he is different but from everything I read Ogun State violates their sovereignty of local government. If you guys read my piece on them I had at least two case studies relating to them. They don't seem to contribute their constitutional 10% of IGR to LG. These reports I got we published 2015 and the other 2013.

I do agree these LG need to boost their IGR. They are to dependant on federation account. They could also form special district to among areas to fund some of these services. Sort of how in Texas we have counties, Louisiana has parishes, New York has boroughs (I think). All these problems have solutions more thought should go to fixing than excuse making.

In November 2009, ‘the total allocation for the 20 LGs in Ogun State was N1.7 billion. But Daniel gave us N700 million, which was less than half of what was due to us.’ Before then, Oladunjoye and some of his colleagues had written to Daniel ‘to deduct only what is statutory from our allocation and specifically the exact amount of money due to the teaching and non-teaching staff of the Local Government Education Authority, LGEA.’ According to Oladunjoye, nothing came out of that. ‘For example, my bill for LGEA was about N28 million monthly, but the governor was deducting N39 million. That is N11 million in excess. With N11 million, I could build two or three community health centres every month. I was angry. Why should state government pay primary schoolteachers on our behalf? Was the federal government paying secondary school teachers on behalf of the state government?’ (Akaeze 2012, p. 3).

Daniel, the former governor, was eventually charged in court with this and other offences by the Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC).

1 Like

Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by Blue3k(m): 12:23am On May 01, 2017
EVarn:
And what are the taxpayers supposed to do if the LGs embezzle funds?,protest?,when power has already been given to them to work all manner of political mischief(we'd probably have given them power over the LG police people are clamouring for and even executive immunity).
In any case,I think it may be a good idea anyway,lets try it.Democracy is all about trial and error.

Same thing they did in previous Republic charge them to court and throw them in jail. Local Government curruption always existed but they were taken to jail. How would immunity protect you from criminal acts? There needs to be strict transparency requirements on state and federal level. The bottom feeders will ruin system if we don't hit the ground running in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by knowledgeable: 1:35am On May 01, 2017
BabaRamota1980:
Why is Amosun talking about Local Govt autonomy where rest of Yoruba is agitating for regional govt? People like Amosun are the sellouts we need to watch for.

He is indeed a sellout like most Yorubas who derive joy in Igbo man's destruction.

Local government financial autonomy is primarily nothing, but a stealthy strategic thinking if come to reality will give Abuja/Hausa/Fulani Northern heggemon the ability to influence policies on the grassroots of Biafran states in particular through corruptly financial manipulation from the center

It does not seek for infrastructure projects on the grassroots of their targets, but for indirect policies and political control/ propagation of whatever agenda they have in mind. "Nigerians, please, local government financial autonomy in this context is restructuring of a complex kind". ....because, in it, you render most state government responsibilities ceremonial and party affiliation on the given states in perpetual crisis/conflict prone.

With the economic regional integration of se/ss and all the good news coming out of Anambra state, you think the enemies are sleeping??..
Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by Blue3k(m): 2:13am On May 01, 2017
knowledgeable:

He is indeed a sellout like most Yorubas who derive joy in Igbo man's destruction.

Local government financial autonomy is primarily nothing, but a stealthy strategic thinking if come to reality will give Abuja/Hausa/Fulani Northern heggemon the ability to influence policies on the grassroots of Biafran states in particular through corruptly financial manipulation from the center

It does not seek for infrastructure projects on the grassroots of their targets, but for indirect policies and political control/ propagation of whatever agenda they have in mind.

Dude this dumbest thing I read today. Your tribalism warped your mind making you come up with most nonsensical conspiracy theory of all time. It literally stupid on every level. I hope you were trolling by writing up this cancerous post. I'll list all the ways your post was stupid.

1. If local government iare autonomous by definition the won't be controlled by outside parties be it state or federal. They will be raising their tax money from you and accountable to your commuity.

2. They already are controlled by your state governor. Through various constitutional requirements. You don't need to look towards Abuja.

3. If the local government are in control of finances they will handle more infastrure projects. Next they will operate with state and federal government in cooperative federalism.

4. How would they get indirect control if the government has less legal means of directly controlling them.

5. Don't you know your fellow Igbo politicians is supporting cause. Nnanna Igbokwe of Imo State and Elendu Ukeje of Abia.

knowledgeable:

"Nigerians, please, local government financial autonomy in this context is restructuring of a complex kind". ....because, in it, you render most state government responsibilities ceremonial and party affiliation on the given states in perpetual crisis/conflict prone.

With the economic regional integration of se/ss and all the good news coming out of Anambra state, you think the enemies are sleeping??..

6. State Government have better thing to do than micromanage affairs of cities. They have their own responsibilities so let LG do theirs.

7. How exactly does this lead to a crisis? If the serve underdevelopement not a crises I don't know what is.

8. What does SS abd SE have to do with anything.

9. Igbo professors and universities published same findings on this issue.

10. Don't pretend to be knowledgeable about subjects your don't understand.

2 Likes

Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by MrMaestro: 2:25am On May 01, 2017
I agree with him in the sense that not all LGAs should be active. But instead of leaving them running under the governors payroll of they aren't, they should be taken over by LGA that is self sustaining. Overall, the amount of LGAs need to come down drastically. But ultimately, regional government should be the end goal.

Awolowo was right all along, a confederation of states consisting of the different regions is the best solution. We should've went with this from the beginning.

1 Like

Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by kenny987(f): 6:16am On May 01, 2017
Are the states self-sufficient? Is d state not also dependent on the FG? It's only because ds country turns things on its head that's why we practice this bastardised form of federalism. By right, d central govt isn't supposed to have business creating LGAs. That should be the business of the viable, self-sufficient states/regions for administrative convenience.

That automatically leaves the regions or states with the full responsibility of catering for as many LGAs as they are able to but in Nigeria, the clamour for more LGA's is to secure more funds from the FG, why should that be? Leads back to the question of why we practice this debilitating spoon-feeding federalism in the first place!

1 Like

Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by knowledgeable: 6:40am On May 01, 2017
Blue3k:

Dude this dumbest thing I read today. Your tribalism warped your mind making you come up with most nonsensical conspiracy theory of all time. It literally stupid on every level. I hope you were trolling by writing up this cancerous post. I'll list all the ways your post was stupid.

1. If local government iare autonomous by definition the won't be controlled by outside parties be it state or federal. They will be raising their tax money from you and accountable to your commuity.

2. They already are controlled by your state governor. Through various constitutional requirements. You don't need to look towards Abuja.

3. If the local government are in control of finances they will handle more infastrure projects. Next they will operate with state and federal government in cooperative federalism.

4. How would they get indirect control if the government has less legal means of directly controlling them.

5. Don't you know your fellow Igbo politicians is supporting cause. Nnanna Igbokwe of Imo State and Elendu Ukeje of Abia.

6. State Government have better thing to do than micromanage affairs of cities. They have their own responsibilities so let LG do theirs.

7. How exactly does this lead to a crisis? If the serve underdevelopement not a crises I don't know what is.

@blue3x, you are no different from the animals from the zoo.
Most African lack critical reasoning and analytical skills, and therefore cannot make analytical connections.

Let me help you the best way I can.

Holistically, "system Nigeria is
Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by knowledgeable: 6:41am On May 01, 2017
Blue3k:

@blue3x, you are no different from the animals from the zoo.
Most African lack critical reasoning and analytical skills, and therefore cannot make analytical connections.

Let me help you the best way I can.

Holistically, "system Nigeria" is completely dysfunctional and need restructuring overall period.
Why tinkering with a subset of which the outcome is not going to increase the GDP, build massive infrastructure, provide employment for the teeming youth of this country( already approaching a time bomb threshold) than what we all already know what the outcome will be like( Nigerian factor, politics, corruption, tribalism, marginalization, completely excluding of Igbos from the center and putting up a structure that have all the potential to effect them on the grassroots while a local government chairman can be influenced directly from Abuja.
Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by Blue3k(m): 7:22am On May 01, 2017
kenny987:
Are the states self-sufficient? Is d state not also dependent on the FG? It's only because ds country turns things on its head that's why we practice this bastardised form of federalism. By right, d central govt isn't supposed to have business creating LGAs. That should be the business of the viable, self-sufficient states/regions for administrative convenience.

That automatically leaves the regions or states with the full responsibility of catering for as many LGAs as they are able to but in Nigeria, the clamour for more LGA's is to secure more funds from the FG, why should that be? Leads back to the question of why we practice this debilitating spoon-feeding federalism in the first place!

No answer to how weird allocation system came to being but I do have answer for local government history. The foolish millitary decrees made this branch of government inefficient because economic viability didn't matter to them. The are just like states made lazy by allocation.

The second half is incorrect. The amount Local government gets is based on section 162 of 1999 constitution. 20.6% from federation account and 10% IGR from the states. More local government means less to go around. They probably make more to be popular I don't know.
Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by orisa37: 9:26am On May 01, 2017
You become a useless Father if your Children and Wife are being trained and maintained by their Grandpa. Your Father can bleep your wife as he pleases.
Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by davidif: 3:52am On Jul 05, 2017
If the local govt cannot generate revenues then why do they exist in the first place? Who designed this country's structure sef? This is sure not what the British left us with.

1 Like

Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by davidif: 3:57am On Jul 05, 2017
EVarn:

Wrong! The best way for a child to learn how to was is by walking. Let the LGA's be given the independence (autonomy) to elect there chairman, representatives, school education board, Judges and police inspectors. That's how things work in developed countries. For nsija to work the Fed govt needs to decentralize a lot of power to the lower tiers (levels) of govt (state and local govts).

1 Like

Re: Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun by EVarn(m): 8:05am On Jul 05, 2017
davidif:

Wrong! The best way for a child to learn how to was is by walking. Let the LGA's be given the independence (autonomy) to elect there chairman, representatives, school education board, Judges and police inspectors. That's how things work in developed countries. For nsija to work the Fed govt needs to decentralize a lot of power to the lower tiers (levels) of govt (state and local govts).
Which is exactly the same thing I said,restructure our federalism by decentralizing power from the centre to the grassroots,that is the first step.We cannot grant the LGAs full autonomy and expect miracles in this current system where supreme power and resources belongs to the centre.
Both power and resources must be given to the grassroot governments,not just autonomy without tangible resource or viability.

(1) (Reply)

Dangote, Adenuga, Others Can End Poverty In Nigeria – Oxfam / Senator Shehu Sani Empowered His Constituency With Radio Transistor / Onitsha, Nnewi Residents Shut Markets, Shops, Financial Institutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.