Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,259 members, 7,836,184 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

Protesting Workers Demand To See Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protesting Workers Demand To See Buhari (417 Views)

Lagos Sex Workers Demand Equal Rights In Celebration Of Workers Day . / Breaking: Atiku Presents 6-point Demand To Buhari / 2 Chinese Men Peeping To See Buhari In China Through Curtains (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protesting Workers Demand To See Buhari by Brownmudia: 7:00am On May 02, 2017
A rally planned for the Eagle Square in Abuja to mark this year’s May Day was disrupted yesterday as thousands of unionists demanded that President Muhammadu Buhari “must address the suffering workers.”

As in Nigeria, millions of protesters across the world hit the streets to mark the day. The protests became violent in some parts of Nigeria, France, Turkey, United States of America (USA), Spain and Russia, among others. In Abakaliki, the Ebonyi State capital, hoodlums violently disrupted a rally organised by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) forcing participants to flee.

Known as May Day, the first day of every fifth month is set aside either to celebrate workers’ rights or as a day of protests and riots. It traces its modern roots back to a world-changing explosion in Chicago. It was originally an ancient pagan holiday celebrating the start of summer. Different groups overtime adapted the celebration to suit their specific cultures and beliefs.

Nigerian workers have been pressing for as much 300 per cent increase in minimum wage — from the current N18, 000 (less than $50) — to mitigate the impact of official pump price of petrol which jumped from N86 per litre to N145.

The drama in Abuja started, when the Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, failed to appear in person to address the workers, but said he would only deliver President Buhari’s message to them.

The workers, who claimed to have been deceived on many occasions by Ngige, approached the podium and disallowed further proceedings, warning that they would only listen to the president they voted for in 2015, especially as he had promised to help cushion the sufferings of millions of Nigerian workers.

READ FULL REPORT + PHOTOS: http://www.hotgistnaija.com/protesting-workers-demand-see-buhari/

1 Like

Re: Protesting Workers Demand To See Buhari by inourcare: 7:21am On May 02, 2017
In Time...
Re: Protesting Workers Demand To See Buhari by Nobody: 7:30am On May 02, 2017
inourcare:
In Time...
Re: Protesting Workers Demand To See Buhari by Mophasa(m): 7:36am On May 02, 2017
I just pity them

Protesting for the impossible

It's like protesting for Lai Muhammed to stop lying- impossible sad
Re: Protesting Workers Demand To See Buhari by Boleyndynasty2(f): 7:52am On May 02, 2017
Me too i want to see bubu

(1) (Reply)

Why I Visited Yemi Osinbajo - Former Vice President Namadi Sambo / Saharareporters Fume Over Dino Melaye's Book Launch On Corruption / I Am Under Custody, My Wife And Children Have Fled Home, Says Adeleke's Nurse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.