Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,598 members, 7,812,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:46 PM

Why NET Languages Are Not Better Than Java Languages - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why NET Languages Are Not Better Than Java Languages (8264 Views)

Help Me Write The Quadratic Equation (almighty Formula) In This Languages / 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java / FORTRAN And COBOL Languages: Are They Obsolete? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why NET Languages Are Not Better Than Java Languages by netghost: 5:58pm On Jan 17, 2010
if u studied computer science in a well informed univeristy,(NOT NIIT, etc), not some institution where u go in and do a lot of theory, then u must have had practical courses on

1)data structure and algorithm
2)compiler construction
3) organization of programming language
4)systems evaluation and performance

, then u would know how to place ur arguments, ur sounding like someone that learnt programming off ebooks (only 1 out of a 1000 know what they are doing)
Re: Why NET Languages Are Not Better Than Java Languages by Ghenghis(m): 2:47pm On Jan 19, 2010
@IG you're mixing things up
C# is an ECMA standard but its just a language that can actually be implemented on a platform (maybe even Java).

So we have the language (C#, VB.NET etc.) and platform (.NET)
with Java, you have the Java language and the platforms (JEE, JSE, JME) which people also refer to as Java.

Don't mix up the Java platform with the Java language.

If you check, JVMs and compilers where developed independently by Sun, IBM, BEA etc. yes SUN moderated the JCP(Java Community Process) for many years but Java development was not exclusively theirs , besides, all that is now history, Java is now Open Source

I don't know when Java would die, but from where i'm sitting it doesn't appear to be any time soon. Yes its relevance in some areas might become lost to MS technologies in certain areas (maybe desktop) but its stronger than ever in Enterprise world.

I work in IT Consulting and the number of applications running on Unix platforms are still significant, If we take some simple facts like:
IBM AIX, Sun Solaris, HP UX and Linux serve a huge chunk of Enterprise computing needs, these systems are UNIX based and Java is still the NUMBER ONE solution platform here, by a significant margin,

In a few years, i foresee Java and .NET platforms establishing niche areas and dying of in other areas, simple!
Re: Why NET Languages Are Not Better Than Java Languages by IG: 10:16pm On Jan 19, 2010
Ghenghis:

@IG you're mixing things up
C# is an ECMA standard but its just a language that can actually be implemented on a platform (maybe even Java).

So we have the language (C#, VB.NET etc.) and platform (.NET)
with Java, you have the Java language and the platforms (JEE, JSE, JME) which people also refer to as Java.

Don't mix up the Java platform with the Java language.

I am not mixing things up. The C# language is defined by ECMA-334 while the CLI which is the runtime is defined by ECMA-335. So the standard is not limited to the C# language. The advantage here is that ECMA is an independent standards body. This shows the difference between Java standard defined by SUN and .NET standard defined by the ECMA (Not Microsoft).
Please note that the ECMA is the same body maintaining the Javascript language.
Re: Why NET Languages Are Not Better Than Java Languages by candylips(m): 12:31am On Jan 20, 2010
Can someone lock this thread pls. we have discussed this issue a million times on this forum .

We need to get into the habit of debating much more fundamental computer science issues like data structures,  algorithms , software design techniques , design patterns etc.
Re: Why NET Languages Are Not Better Than Java Languages by IG: 12:52am On Jan 20, 2010
@candylips, @netghost.
Why do you guys think that we need to be discussing data structures, compiler constructions e.t.c ?
I don't know if I am missing something but I think every modern programming language has support for most data structure you can think of imlpementing.
About compiler construction, well, do we need to write a new programming language?
I think it will be more usefull to discuss things that are a little less esoteric which the average programmer can benefit from.

But enlighten me please, if I am wrong.
Re: Why NET Languages Are Not Better Than Java Languages by candylips(m): 11:49am On Jan 20, 2010
IG

Yea most classic datastructures have found their way into most programming langugues but a lot of guys don't know the theory behind them and how they can probably be improved.

I didn't say anything about compiler construction but i think u guys should focus debates on things like designing efficient algorithms to solve your day to day problems etc etc

The good thing about this is that these types of discussions will be useful to people coding in different programming languagues.

Further Arguements about differences btw .Net , Java, PHP, C++  is a waste of time because we have spent too much time on this issue on this forum already lets debate other progamming related issues that make more sense
Re: Why NET Languages Are Not Better Than Java Languages by netghost: 12:25pm On Jan 29, 2010
@IG

i would like to ask u this question, why are programming languages created?

i have to agree with u, on the fact that threads should be created to assist new programmer, and not for confussion
Re: Why NET Languages Are Not Better Than Java Languages by Ishikawa: 3:38pm On Feb 26, 2010
Ghenghis:

Copy 'n' paste.
Yeah C# is great, its probably more powerful than Java but there's a pattern known by most scientists and many other disciplines, its called the Golden rule . If you apply this to programming language features we can come to the following conclusions:

Only 20% of a programming language features will account for 80% of written code.

What this helps language designers and programmers do is prioritize and determine which features are most important and where research focus should be placed.

I programmed C# for 2 years, and i almost always had to refer back to the manuals when using delegates.
Its a nice feature but its not better than interfaces, it compliments it. What this means is that there is a right and wrong time to use the feature, how many programmers know this ? How many gunslingers bother to find out when not to use it ?
(There's a tendency for a guy thats good with a hammer to see all problems as nails).

Every Language has a price in terms of complexity and understanding, in my opinion C# is tilting to the complexity side  wink

As I stated in the original post, features like closures are well implemented in JVM languages like Scala, Groovy. Also, if you're not satisfied with SWT or Swing, you can decide to use qtjambi (qt with qt designer), wx4j etc.
Re: Why NET Languages Are Not Better Than Java Languages by Ishikawa: 2:25pm On Aug 22, 2010
Oracle sues Google over its use of Android. Liking my C# more now. lipsrsealed
Re: Why NET Languages Are Not Better Than Java Languages by Beaf: 6:07pm On Aug 22, 2010
Ishikawa:

Oracle sues Google over its use of Android. Liking my C# more now. lipsrsealed

A very interesting development indeed.
Oracle is intent on enforcing Java patents and copyrights on the hugely successful Android. Hmmm!
It is likely they only want a slice of the Android pie, but the fact that they can attempt to hijack that slice legally should send shivers down any developers spine and set their adrenal glands on fire.

Undertone - Java is not free. shocked shocked shocked

Damn!
Re: Why NET Languages Are Not Better Than Java Languages by gozzilla(m): 8:15am On Aug 26, 2010
http://www.25hoursaday.com/CsharpVsJava.html

Be wise. Don't argue for the sake of knowledge that puffs up. Many of you guys have been placing arguments with parts of the language i am very sure you have not used. Do you realise that most times you use less than 20% of a language, at the most 40%. When you make an argument as a programmer, give us an example. Not necessarily with codes but with say pseudo-codes or a real life example.
Lets stop all this ego trip, it is not helping our nation. If it is not my car is bigger, or my house is larger, it is my wife is younger. The argument is totally irrelevant.
Re: Why NET Languages Are Not Better Than Java Languages by metodman(m): 2:19pm On Aug 27, 2010
Hi,

I am starting a programming course both intro and advance programming in Java or PHP or in South Africa. I will like you to advice me on which has got a higher job prospect.
Thanks

Isaac
Re: Why NET Languages Are Not Better Than Java Languages by IG: 1:28am On Aug 29, 2010
Beaf:

A very interesting development indeed.
Oracle is intent on enforcing Java patents and copyrights on the hugely successful Android. Hmmm!
It is likely they only want a slice of the Android pie, but the fact that they can attempt to hijack that slice legally should send shivers down any developers spine and set their adrenal glands on fire.

Undertone - Java is not free. shocked shocked shocked

Damn!

Yeah Java is not free, not even the open source fork OpenJDK. Because the license doesn't allow you to make a superset of it like mono has done for .NET. Essentially Oracle owns Java and they are letting everybody know that now.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My New Year Resolution: 1 Million Naira A Month From Android App Dev In 2015 / Creating Apps In Kivy By Dusty Phillips. Ebook Download / Best PHP Framework For Application Development?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.