Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,421 members, 7,850,497 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 11:13 PM

Is Sugar Ruining Your Fertility? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is Sugar Ruining Your Fertility? (365 Views)

18 Ways Your Phone Is Ruining Your Health / Staphylococcus Aureus Is Ruining My Life! Nairaland Please Help! / HELP! Bad Breath Is Ruining My Social Life! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Sugar Ruining Your Fertility? by Taphealth247(m): 8:32am On May 04, 2017
Ditch the chocolate, sweets and biscuits if you’re trying for a baby. Leading fertility expert, Zita West, explains how sugar could be ruining your fertility

As a practising midwife and fertility expert, I have always been fascinated by the role nutrition takes in every couple’s ability to have a healthy, happy baby.

What I see in my fertility clinic, The Zita West Clinic, is women know everything about ‘diet’ but very little about nutrition. They will be looking for a magic ingredient in their diet that will get them pregnant, but in reality, every part of the diet and the micronutrition within it lays the foundations for a healthy – or not so healthy – egg and sperm.

Over the course of my many years in this field, I have come to the conclusion that micronutrients play a big role in getting pregnant – both naturally and through assisted conception – with deficiencies having significant effects on fertility for both men and women.

I have come to the conclusion that micro-nutrients play a big role in getting pregnant

2016 was the year of Brexit, Trump and the year that sugar became public enemy number one. And not unreasonably so – especially when it comes to your fertility.

In order to make a mature egg both naturally and for IVF, there is a delicate and complex interplay of reproductive hormones that need to peak and flow throughout the month. And unfortunately for those with a sweet tooth, sugar is a major hormone disruption and affects blood sugar balance, having a negative impact on this process.

What’s the evidence?
Some studies show that a lower intake of carbohydrates have links to better IVF success. It is known that eggs and embryos do not thrive in a high glucose environment.

In a study presented at the American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) meeting last year, IVF patients who switched to a low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet and then underwent another cycle increased their Blastocyst formation rate from 19% to 45% and their clinical pregnancy rate from 17% to 83%.

Even non-IVF patients with poly-cystic ovarian syndrome have improved pregnancy rates after making this lifestyle change, the study’s author Dr. Russell noted.

Sharon Phelan, MD, from the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque said: “Although the blood glucose is not high enough to be in the diabetic range, it is enough to be toxic to the developing blastocyst.”continue reading>>>https://taphealth24.com/2017/05/03/is-sugar-ruining-your-fertility/

(1) (Reply)

Permanent Cure For PROSTATE And BREAST CANCER. / Ipas Presents Report On Access To Reproductive Health Services For Deaf Women / T0 All The Slay Queens Looking For Shape While Denying Themselves Food

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.