Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,129 members, 7,811,193 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today (24618 Views)

Fixing Car Yourself Will Void The Car Warranty? - 12 Car Myths Debunked / Myths Or Facts: Are Car Fires Work Of The Village People Or Just Carelessness? / 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by AutoJoshNG: 9:55am On May 04, 2017
11 Car Myths
There are several ideas or stories we believe in that are not true. Today, we’ll be looking at those false believes that relates to cars and driving.

Let’s go.

1) All SUVs are Jeeps:
Actually, the reverse is the case. Not all SUVs are Jeeps but all Jeeps are SUVs. Jeep is an American automobile brand just like Innoson, BMW and Toyota.. They specialize in making SUVs. This blunder is equivalent to calling all detergents.. “OMO” or calling all Noodles.. “Indomie”.

2) All 4 Cylinder Engines are V4:
It is absolutely interesting when you are asked if your Toyota Camry has a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine.. and your response is “V4” … V4 ke?? The correct answer should be 4 cylinder, inline-four or straight-four engine.. because the four cylinders are mounted in a straight line as seen in the picture. If you have to funkinize it, you can just say I4. You will never say V4 again if you are aware of how uncommon and obsolete V4 car engines are. Although, they are still used in some motorcycles because they are compact. Some of the cars that have the V4 engine configuration are Lancia Fulvia, Ford Taunus, Ford Essex, 1980 Saab 9-6 , America’s AMC M422 and Soviet Union’s ZAZ Zaporozhets. So don’t even talk about V4 if you are not driving any of these cars.

3) All 6 Cylinder Engines are V6:
Not all 6 cylinder engines are mounted in the V-configuration so they cannot all be called V6. Straight-six engine, inline-six engine or I6 engines can be found in some BMW, Benz, VW, Porsche, Nissan (Skyline) and even the Toyota Supra.

4) Some Cars Are Faster Than Others Even At The Same KM/H:
We all had our fair share of believing this when we were kids.. If you still believe your car at 80km/h overtook another car doing 120km/h on the highway, please wake up! It is highly impossicant.. if there is any word like that. Except in the event of a faulty speed gauge.

5) 4 Wheel Drive Vehicles Can Fly:
I remember a friend who strongly believed his Dad’s Nissan Patrol could fly back in the days.. because it could go through rough terrains other cars wouldn’t dare. Well, it can only drive through but not fly over.

6) SUV Drivers Are Richer Than Drivers Of Saloon Cars:
Some of us will say… “that guy don hammer, no be car him even buy, nah jeep” Jeep=SUV. The SUV might be a 2001 model but nah still jeep any day even over a 2012 saloon.. For real? Various researches across the world has also shown that SUV drivers are 4 times more likely to be narcissists, self-centred, impatient, aggressive and ignore laws than saloon drivers. More like.. “you know me!” “Do you know what I am driving?” Nah Jeep

7) Change Your Engine Oil Every 3,000 Miles:
Your car user manual gives an explicit answer to this. So don’t stick to the every 3,000 miles myth which dates back to 1970s when oil technology was still developing. However, engines and oil technology has since improved drastically. Some synthetic oils now last up to 15,000 miles or 1 year.

8 ) Overdrive Makes Your Car Go Faster:
If you are racing another car on third mainland bridge and you turn on the overdrive in order to disappear into thin air, OYO is your case o. Overdrive actually puts your car in a higher gear for coasting or cruising on the highway. It reduces engine RPM, leading to better fuel consumption, lower noise and lower wear. It is different from sport mode.

9) All Recently Purchased Cars Are “Brand New”:
This has become increasingly popular especially on news headlines. The news title will say “Man gets Brand New SUV as birthday gift”… click on the link and all you’ll see is a 2003 Murano which looks like Nigerian used. There is a clear dichotomy between brand new and Tokunbo. We can’t be calling a car, brand new after the manufacturer already moved on over 10 years ago.

10) Changing Lanes Frequently In Traffic Makes You Go Faster:
This must have happened to you a couple of times. Despite hopping from one lane to the other in traffic, cars that maintained a single lane still left you behind. That means.. lane prostitution does not pay.

11) Men Are Always Better Drivers Than Women:
This is definitely not true. Some men always scratch their cars especially when reversing.. while their wives are Gone In 60 Seconds. The female driver I trip for the most is a Megabus double decker bus driver… After conquering the highways, she turned the monstrous bus into a Kia Picanto within the city with her sharp maneuvers. I had to go salute her at the end of the trip.

Is there anyone you are guilty of or anyone I didn’t add? Tell us in the comment section.

https://autojosh.com/11-car-myths-you-should-stop-believing-today/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by Nobody: 9:58am On May 04, 2017
nice one bro

1 Like

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by veekid(m): 10:05am On May 04, 2017
Number 1 especially........ Thanks for this man

1 Like

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by DollarAngel(m): 10:06am On May 04, 2017
Some Cars Are Faster Than Others Even At The Same KM/H:
We all had our fair share of believing this when we were kids.. If you still believe your car at 80km/h overtook another car doing 120km/h on the highway, please wake up! It is highly impossicant.. if there is any word like that. Except in the event of a faulty speed gauge.

I disagree OP for example A Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport, the world's fastest road legal production car with a top speed of 431 km/h (268 mph) if its on 80km/h vs a Toyota Camry on 120km/h. that Buggati can't overtake the Camry? I stand to be corrected.

20 Likes

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by asumo12: 10:07am On May 04, 2017
grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by tizzdi(m): 10:08am On May 04, 2017
K

1 Like

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by Dottore: 10:08am On May 04, 2017
Jeep is also an English word so you are wrong. All SUVs are jeeps even though Jeep is a Brand name.

Also I've experimented on the same km different speed issue. Some cars are faster than others when on the same speedometer clock.

5 Likes

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by limitless777(m): 10:08am On May 04, 2017
THIS is GREAT. guilty of a few though. lool
Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by Untainted007: 10:08am On May 04, 2017
Nice write up let me add number 12 and 13for you.
12. Not everybody who drives a big/expensive car that are indeed a big/rich person: This has become some habit of people when they see anybody driving an expensive car and they tend to see who drives it as a rich man. Some people will say ''if you see the kind of nice ride he/she is driving ehn'' Some people buy less expensive car just to keep a low life profile while some people use all their life savings on a single car just for people to think they have arrived.
13. Men allow another driver to enter into their front during traffic than women does: Although this seems to be right to some extents, but I guess it has to do with maturity. Some women who are exposed and matured in driving will see reason why they need to allow to enter their front during traffic jam because they believed that if you are insisted to enter and they resists you the more it can lead to scratching or denting their own car/vehicle.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by Nobody: 10:09am On May 04, 2017
Thanks for the info...
Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by Nobody: 10:10am On May 04, 2017
What about this, "if you have sex in the car, the engine will knock"....

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by obaataaokpaewu: 10:10am On May 04, 2017
Nice one

1 Like

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by Chiefpriest1(m): 10:11am On May 04, 2017
Nice. Used to carry that number six on my head. Always believed that SUVs were costlier and more luxurious than salons or is it saloons.

But op are you saying that 80km/hr on a 2000 Toyota Camry is the same as 80km/hr on a 2012 Range Rover?

1 Like

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by mebad(m): 10:11am On May 04, 2017
will remember to drive in over drive

1 Like

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by Nobody: 10:11am On May 04, 2017
All Jeeps are not SUVs. Jeep made pickups too.

5 Likes

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by potent5(m): 10:11am On May 04, 2017
Revealing.
Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by thrugemaster(m): 10:11am On May 04, 2017

on the average, women are shitty drivers. truth been told

8 Likes

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by Langbasa: 10:12am On May 04, 2017

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by verygudbadguy(m): 10:13am On May 04, 2017
Nice one...
AutoJoshNG:

[b]2) All 4 Cylinder Engines are V4:

I have learnt one today. Ignorance is no defence.
Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by ObasanjoQuotes: 10:13am On May 04, 2017
ok
Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by AutoJoshNG: 10:13am On May 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:
All Jeeps are not SUVs. Jeep made pickups too.

True talk.. Thanks
Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by oshe11: 10:13am On May 04, 2017
when u write abt d myth of Private Jet

QUOTE ME

1 Like

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by Rexnegro(m): 10:14am On May 04, 2017
Good one Brother thanks for sharing
Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by lonelydora: 10:14am On May 04, 2017
Typing. .....
Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by dukeo(m): 10:17am On May 04, 2017
I disagree with point eleven. Till tomorrow ma men are better drivers tongue

Like if you agree and share if you don't grin

7 Likes

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by abes(m): 10:18am On May 04, 2017
No 4, when you have two identical cars but one has a bigger set of tyres, the one with bigger tyres will always be faster despite same speedo readings.

5 Likes

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by simplyhonest(m): 10:20am On May 04, 2017
nice but not completely true

1 Like

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by refreshrate: 10:21am On May 04, 2017
That they have removed the thing that used to kill someone if moto jam person.

Is this one too a myth?

3 Likes

Re: 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today by Timoodi: 10:21am On May 04, 2017
asumo12:
grin
how is this related to the topic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Take A Look At These Astonishing Car Artistic Colors / Driver And Conductor Feared Dead As Trailer Loaded With Goods Falls In Lagos / Japanese Vs German Vs American Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.