Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,596 members, 7,823,594 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify (34994 Views)

FG Increases Abuja-kaduna Train Fares By 100% / Interstate Travel: We May Increase Fares, Says NURTW / Tweaking Your Travel Routes and Time For Cheap Fares/budget travel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by PapaBrowne(m): 4:58pm On May 04, 2017
GenBuhari:
Go with Taxify if it is a Nigerian app even if it is more expensive.

Seem Uber is trying to kill off competition and Uber drivers would bear the brunt of losses for a any unsustainable price reduction since the driver carries all the investment and overhead.

Let Uber drivers move to Taxify and as a Nigerian app (I assume), profits will be re-injected into our economy, whereas Uber's profit is moved out of Nigeria.

This seeing the bigger picture.

Taxify is not a Nigerian company. Taxify is Estonian.

4 Likes

Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by Andrewkinggg: 5:00pm On May 04, 2017
If anyone has a car that he intends to use for either of the taxi company I'll advise the person to go with taxify. Taxify only takes 15% from a trip while Uber takes as much as 30%. That's what my taxify guy told me..
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by ApexTitan(m): 5:02pm On May 04, 2017
EastGold:
All these capitalist

Communist spotted grin
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by CoCoLav(f): 5:05pm On May 04, 2017
Once taxify takes over the market, they will also behave the exact way Uber is behaving now. That has been the way of monopolies since the beginning of time.

Best thing is to keep the two companies in check, no need to drive Uber away.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by wisepluto(m): 5:07pm On May 04, 2017
Sorry to Inform you that Taxify aint a Nigerian App.

GenBuhari:
Go with Taxify if it is a Nigerian app even if it is more expensive.

Seem Uber is trying to kill off competition and Uber drivers would bear the brunt of losses for a any unsustainable price reduction since the driver carries all the investment and overhead.

Let Uber drivers move to Taxify and as a Nigerian app (I assume), profits will be re-injected into our economy, whereas Uber's profit is moved out of Nigeria.

This seeing the bigger picture.
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by gabicon: 5:11pm On May 04, 2017
I remember tell someone last week that irrespective of the cuts taxify try to execute, uber had the financial war chest and will bleed them out of market, all this is subject to time.
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by UjSizzle(f): 5:26pm On May 04, 2017
How I love competition cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by sniperr007(m): 5:28pm On May 04, 2017
NelsonNeo:
Good one. Dstv shd do same

No beta competitor
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by UjSizzle(f): 5:28pm On May 04, 2017
saintade01:
I got this also from 'Oga Taxi' today:

"We have reduced our Prices to N55/km, N5 per minute and N200 base fare. This is 35 percent lower than our usual rates. Help share the good news with friends. got this also from 'Oga Taxi'"

Oga Taxi so far is the cheapest.
But drivers say it's not very profitable.
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by naptu2: 5:32pm On May 04, 2017

1 Like

Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by chronique(m): 5:32pm On May 04, 2017
nairaman66:
Saw this coming! But it is too late, UBER went greedy along the line! Their charges are astronomical! Charging over N2,000 from Chevron drive to "The Place" at Phase 1, what rubbish!! Then they brought a stupid language called SURGE to even double your fares!! They are criminals!! Good thing TAXIFY came along!! grin grin grin

As in eh, that their surge language is what I don't understand. I once spent 8,700 from egbeda to Abraham adesanya(lekki),and spent 6,500 on the return journey on the same trip, totalling roughly 16k. The thing wey pain me pass be say the babe wey I go see nor even make the trip worthwhile(giving me silly attitude). At the end of the day, I had to remind myself that it's my blood I'm using to work for the money and I have not been using them as often as I used to. The most painful one was a trip from Ikeja to Marina that cost 6k plus... I haven't tried this taxify though.
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by uyplus(m): 5:33pm On May 04, 2017
quentin06:

Abuja Is a wrong place for uber. who are the customers, senators? do u expect them to leave the safety of their jeeps for taxi? 80% of residents leave in surburbs, abuja needs a mass transit model of commute, there aren enuf taxis for residents of mararaba, masaka nyanya, jikwoyi,lugbe,kuje or gwags

No within town, Uber can sell if they do the right thing. When Uber just got into Abuja, partners were making as much as 500k net monthly, but thereafter Uber started stopping incentives and other perks that came with the job. As a result, partners began to withdraw their high end cars, and retain cars with very little luxury. Now Uber has started accepting 2003 model of cars in Abuja, in a bid to mitigate shortage of cars on the platform, and this has resulted to a sharp decrease in the riders patronage simply because riders can't get the luxury they once all experienced when 2014 cars were active on the platform! Besides, Uber base farebin Abuja is so low.

For instance, an Uber ride from Abuja city centre to the airport costs 3000 and Uber will take out 25% of that money leaving the partner with 2250. Even a green cab with no AC in it won't charge 2250 for an airpot ride. Besides, Uber is yet to have a roundtable discussion with FAAN, so its illegal for an uber cab to pick up a rider from the airport! That will mean a driver will expend 2250 on a round trip in a luxurious 2008 model car!

2 Likes

Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by Damseldammie(f): 5:41pm On May 04, 2017
This is the more reason competitive market is good because consumers are the beneficiary. Unlike when the buss was monopolistic where we have only uber that charges passengers @ their own profitable prices
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by saintade01(m): 5:43pm On May 04, 2017
UjSizzle:

But drivers say it's not very profitable.

And they keep doing it.

1 Like

Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by frugal(m): 5:43pm On May 04, 2017
chronique:

As in eh, that their surge language is what I don't understand. I once spent 8,700 from egbeda to Abraham adesanya(lekki),and spent 6,500 on the return journey on the same trip, totalling roughly 16k. The thing wey pain me pass be say the babe wey I go see nor even make the trip worthwhile(giving me silly attitude). At the end of the day, I had to remind myself that it's my blood I'm using to work for the money and I have not been using them as often as I used to. The most painful one was a trip from Ikeja to Marina that cost 6k plus... I haven't tried this taxify though.
Why didn't you just drive? N16k will fuel my car for almost 2 weeks. I only use Uber for short distances.
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by uyplus(m): 5:45pm On May 04, 2017
objobj:

Pls which one reigns in abuja? I wish to register two cars in abuja

thanks

None
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by nairaman66(m): 5:46pm On May 04, 2017
chronique:

Lol.. Na so all these girls for Lekki dey form things anyhow! Sorry jwo! UBER matter is already dead and gone! Dude, flex yourself and if babe show along the line it is better.., do not do anything to impress any lady out there!! Ain't worth it! grin
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by chronique(m): 5:49pm On May 04, 2017
frugal:

Why didn't you just drive? N16k will fuel my car for almost 2 weeks. I only use Uber for short distances.

I wasnt sure I was going to come home on time and my sight at night is very lovely so I try to avoid driving at night. Lekki to mainland at night with a not too fantastic eyesight, wasn't a safe option. I figured that was my best option.
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by nairaman66(m): 5:50pm On May 04, 2017
uyplus:

No within town, Uber can sell if they do the right thing. When Uber just got into Abuja, partners were making as much as 500k net monthly, but thereafter Uber started stopping incentives and other perks that came with the job. As a result, partners began to withdraw their high end cars, and retain cars with very little luxury. Now Uber has started accepting 2003 model of cars in Abuja, in a bid to mitigate shortage of cars on the platform, and this has resulted to a sharp decrease in the riders patronage simply because riders can't get the luxury they once all experienced when 2014 cars were active on the platform! Besides, Uber base farebin Abuja is so low.

For instance, an Uber ride from Abuja city centre to the airport costs 3000 and Uber will take out 25% of that money leaving the partner with 2250. Even a green cab with no AC in it won't charge 2250 for an airpot ride. Besides, Uber is yet to have a roundtable discussion with FAAN, so its illegal for an uber cab to pick up a rider from the airport! That will mean a driver will expend 2250 on a round trip in a luxurious 2008 model car!

UBER does have a criminal mind, they online sit their assses down in the office and get 25%! WTF, this is clearly a case of Monkey dey work, baboon dey chop! I patronize TAXIFY these days because it is an indigenous brand and also because it is way way cheaper, strangely 90% of cars on UBER platform is also on TAXIFY!! What a way to go!
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by chronique(m): 5:53pm On May 04, 2017
nairaman66:

Lol.. Na so all these girls for Lekki dey form things anyhow! Sorry jwo! UBER matter is already dead and gone! Dude, flex yourself and if babe show along the line it is better.., do not do anything to impress any lady out there!! Ain't worth it! grin

I honestly didn't want to do the trip but the drama queen had been ranting about how I promised to turn up and didn't show up and all that, and was complaining about me being proud and bla bla bla... I reluctantly did the trip and wouldn't have minded, if not for the attitude thingy. I got really pissed off.
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by GEJPosterity: 6:00pm On May 04, 2017
uyplus:
And they expect partners with high end cars to keep their cars running on the uber platform at a ridiculously low price? Have they thought about cost of maintanance of these vehicles and the financial burden on the partner? I since withdrew 3 out of my 5 cars on Uber. My drivers once told me that some even riders look down on 1 of my cars which is a toyota yaris, as if they can even afford 1 sef. Uber is dead in Abuja..
Uber riders in Nigeria are one very stupid set of people. They're the reason I withdrew my car from that platform. Very useless people with all sorts of behaviour and attitudes.
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by Baroba(m): 6:00pm On May 04, 2017
nairaman66:

UBER does have a criminal mind, they online sit their assses down in the office and get 25%! WTF, this is clearly a case of Monkey dey work, baboon dey chop! I patronize TAXIFY these days because it is an indigenous brand and also because it is way way cheaper, strangely 90% of cars on UBER platform is also on TAXIFY!! What a way to go!

There is nothing indigenous about Taxify, its based out in Estonia..

1 Like

Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by UjSizzle(f): 6:17pm On May 04, 2017
naptu2:

Then there's this https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/UberLagosStrike?src=hash
Wow. That's serious.

I suppose they should have expected a backlash of sorts with the drivers.
If they're reducing rates, are they also reducing their commission from the drivers?
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by dom(m): 6:17pm On May 04, 2017
NelsonNeo:

They've got no serious competitor yet.
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 04, 2017
Good to know then I suggest using neither and us a conventional taxi firm.

What companies like uber do is sucker drivers into making huge investment on promise of high earnings which is impossible at the low prices they charge.

The drivers become enslaved, the taxi industry is disrupted and local firms may close down, causing unemployment.

The firms have virtually no overhead of their owns so at extremely low prices, they still walk away big profits, leaving their local Nigerian drivers to swallow all the losses.

Help Nigerian economy and ignore any app that is not Nigerian.
wisepluto:
Sorry to Inform you that Taxify aint a Nigerian App.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by nairaman66(m): 6:43pm On May 04, 2017
Baroba:

There is nothing indigenous about Taxify, its based out in Estonia..

Oh! Thanks for the info! I still will choose Taxify anyday anytime!
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by nairaman66(m): 6:44pm On May 04, 2017
GEJPosterity:

Uber riders in Nigeria are one very stupid set of people. They're the reason I withdrew my car from that platform. Very useless people with all sorts of behaviour and attitudes.

Riders?? shocked
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by BrandSpurNG: 6:46pm On May 04, 2017
IKEJA ELECTRIC UNVEILS USSD SOLUTION CHANNEL TO EASE PAYMENTS (HOW IT WORKS)

https://brandspurng.com/ikeja-electric-unveils-ussd-solution-channel-to-ease-payments-how-it-works/
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by hermosa7: 7:08pm On May 04, 2017
NelsonNeo:

What's Taxify? Is it a rival company?

Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by coretechng1(m): 7:08pm On May 04, 2017
Andrewkinggg:
If anyone has a car that he intends to use for either of the taxi company I'll advise the person to go with taxify. Taxify only takes 15% from a trip while Uber takes as much as 30%. That's what my taxify guy told me..
wrong information
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by Nobody: 7:10pm On May 04, 2017
@ uyplus
The Concept of uber is flawed and unrealistic.
1st u cant use luxury cars as taxi, its never profitable.
2nd vehicles made in 2003 can be used if well maintained.
you dont expect a prudent biz man to use a 2016 car for taxi. only tested and durable cars.
uber is a monopoly and scam.
it hurts both customers and agents viz providing poor service and extremely low return on investment.
dont forget our indigenous transporters who will ultimately be put out of biz.
Re: Uber Slashes Lagos Fares By 40% In Response To Taxify by venex(f): 7:29pm On May 04, 2017
Good news Lagosians, @Taxify_ng has lowered its ride rates in Lagos to be more affordable https:///pn6JVH

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Visit To Fela Kuti's Kalakuta Museum / Please Help: How Can I Track My Uk Visa Application - Applicant Status / Gombe State Roads And Other Structures (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.