Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,028 members, 7,818,033 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

How To Grow Watermelons And Make Huge Cash- The Beginner’s Guide - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Grow Watermelons And Make Huge Cash- The Beginner’s Guide (2443 Views)

How To Grow Tomatoes For Business? All You Need To Know! / Cucumber Farming In Nigeria: Beginner’s Guide / How To Cultivate Hot Pepper And Make Huge Profit - Part Two (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Grow Watermelons And Make Huge Cash- The Beginner’s Guide by MYNATIONNEWS(m): 10:51am On May 05, 2017
ARE YOU DREAMING TO OWN A BOOMING WATERMELON FARM?
Image result for Watermelons FARM Picture
www.ideasflame.com
Watermelon is among the best fruits recommended for people that wish to loose weight, and with the high rate of overweight or obesity related issues and other numerous health benefits watermelon offers to the body, the demand for watermelon has sky rocked over the years.

Starting a watermelon farming business can yield great profits as you can cultivate and harvest three batches of watermelon fruits in a year. In this article, I will discuss with you why you should invest in in watermelon farming, and how you can start your own watermelon farm in no time. Four Reasons Why You Should Invest In Watermelon Farming Business With High Turnover: It takes a watermelon eighty five days to get to maturity from the planting date. This means you can have three sets of
harvested watermelon fruits to sale within the year and if you started out the business on a large parcel of land, then you are sure to get massive returns on your investment (ROI).
Image result for Watermelons FARM Picture
There Is A Ready Market For Your Produce To Be Sale: Watermelon also contains some enzymes that help to fight against cancer causing cells in the body, you see why there will always be a high demand for watermelon. Watermelon Is Pest Resistant: This means that watermelon plant is resistant to pests and diseases that usually affect some other plants, you will not even need to spend much on greeting ride of pests from affecting the watermelon. Very Easy to Start : As long as you have the land space needed for the farming, you don’t need much of other things to get your watermelon business up and running and you don’t need much technical knowledge to run a watermelon farm.

3 Things You Need to Start a Watermelon Farming Business:

Large Expanse of Land, Each watermelon plant is called a vine; and the vines get to spread out as they mature and they need space for the plant to bear bigger fruits. I will talk more on the space needed for a watermelon plant to grow well with Sunligh. A watermelon plant requires of sunlight to grow well. So the land space must be in a location where there is adequate sunlight to nurture the plants. Good Seedling: The type of seedling you use will affect the output or quality of watermelon fruits your plants will yield. There are very various varieties of watermelon species, you have to make a choice of which variety you wish and carry out further research on how to handle the cultivation process before you embarked on it.

1. You Need To Get Your Land Space:

I mentioned earlier that you need a large expanse of land to be able to successfully run your watermelon farm. The first step to take is to find the land you will need for the cultivation in a location where the watermelon plants can get six to eight hours of sunlight per day.

2. You Need To Source For Seedling:

The next step to take is to source for a healthy watermelon seedling. Farmers that already run their own watermelon farmers can supply you with healthy seedling to use on your own farm.

3. You Need To Begin the Cultivation Process:

The cultivation process in watermelon farming is quite complicated and little bit cumbersome as you need to plant the seedlings in a specific way to give them better space to germinate. When planting the watermelon seed, each hole for the watermelon seedling needs to be 1 foot deep and over 1.5 feet wide. Cover the hole with fertilizer, place the seed on the top and push with your finger till it gets to at least 0.5 foot deep. For the spacing, you should allow a space of 8 feet between each plant to allow the vines enough space to spread out when the plant begins to grow. If possible, do the planting when the whether is hot, up to at least 70 degrees hot, because watermelon functions better in hot weather.

4. It Requires Watering:

For the first few weeks after planting you watermelon, you really need to water the watermelon generously twice in a week, then reduce the watering to just once every two weeks as soon as the vines start sprouting out. This is to help increase the sugar content in the watermelon fruit. If a watermelon has a watery taste, that was because the farmer continued to water it consistently even after the vines started growing and didn’t give it the needed space to absolve sugar from the soil.

5. Weed Control Is Required:

Since the watermelon plant is pest resistant, you need to focus more on getting ride of weeds on the farm, this can be done with herbicides.

6. Harvesting Period:

This is the part everybody is waiting because harvesting means that the sales and money making period is around the corner...lol- I mentioned somewhere above that it takes a watermelon plant 85 days to get to maturity The question is, how do you know that your watermelon is ready for harvest? Your watermelon is ready for harvest when the fruit looses it outer shiny appearance and also when part of the fruit that touches the ground changes into a rich yellow colour.

7. Sales:

After harvesting, the final step is transportation from the farm to the wholesaler, retailer or final consumption for sale. To successfully sell your watermelon produce, you have to know who your market is. The main market for your produce include:
owner of fruit stores, grocery store owners, restaurants and hotels, pharmaceutical companies that need watermelon extracts as raw material for the production of supplements. At this stage of the article, I have covered various sub topics relating to watermelon farming including; reasons to start watermelon farming business, things you really need to start the business and how to start the business. Finally, Watermelon is a fresh produce and you don’t expect it to stay fresh for a long time after it is harvested that is why you need to carry out a feasibility research in your location even before you start the farm to ensure that there is a ready market and high demand for your produce.

Source: http://www.ideasflame.com/2015/07/how-to-grow-watermelons-and-make-huge.html

http://www.ideasflame.com/2015/07/how-to-grow-watermelons-and-make-huge.html

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Watermelons And Make Huge Cash- The Beginner’s Guide by MYNATIONNEWS(m): 11:50am On May 05, 2017
Re: How To Grow Watermelons And Make Huge Cash- The Beginner’s Guide by authocratic: 10:45am On Jan 25, 2019
How do you avoid insect infestation of the growing water melon?
Re: How To Grow Watermelons And Make Huge Cash- The Beginner’s Guide by bizmania(m): 11:29pm On Jan 25, 2019
I bought excess improved Technism watermelon seeds for my farming cooperative. There are over 20 cans of 500grams technism watermelon seeds in excess. If you need, please contact me.I'll bring the price down. We also have super gro liquid fertilizer. I can waybill to your location. Thank you. OP, sorry I'm advertising on your thread, thank you.
Re: How To Grow Watermelons And Make Huge Cash- The Beginner’s Guide by LucidG(m): 10:18am On Jan 26, 2019
bizmania:
I bought excess improved Technism watermelon seeds for my farming cooperative. There are over 20 cans of 500grams technism watermelon seeds in excess. If you need, please contact me.I'll bring the price down. We also have super gro liquid fertilizer. I can waybill to your location. Thank you. OP, sorry I'm advertising on your thread, thank you.

Which variety exactly?
Re: How To Grow Watermelons And Make Huge Cash- The Beginner’s Guide by bizmania(m): 6:34pm On Jan 26, 2019
LucidG:

Which variety exactly?

It's PASTEQUE KAOLACK
Re: How To Grow Watermelons And Make Huge Cash- The Beginner’s Guide by dmz1: 12:37am On Jan 27, 2019
bizmania:

How much per can?
Re: How To Grow Watermelons And Make Huge Cash- The Beginner’s Guide by Scholastica010(f): 9:03pm On Jan 27, 2019
bizmania:
Kindly drop your contact or email address.
Re: How To Grow Watermelons And Make Huge Cash- The Beginner’s Guide by bizmania(m): 9:15am On Jan 28, 2019
Scholastica010:

Kindly drop your contact or email address.

Yellowmaster110@gmail.com
Zero-eight-one-5566199-four

(1) (Reply)

Digital Agric Investment Platform ; Catfish Farm / The Pest Behind Tomato Scarcity / cashew seedlings (jumbo Type}, Oil Palm Seedlings{tenera}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.