Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,366 members, 7,815,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

C++ Programming: To Do Or Not To Do. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / C++ Programming: To Do Or Not To Do. (1404 Views)

Contest, Programming To Solve Real Life Problems (photo) / PHP Socket Programming To Send And Receive XML File Data / Programming To Your Doorstep (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

C++ Programming: To Do Or Not To Do. by aridude(m): 6:29pm On May 07, 2017
Hello, guys, this is my first post in this section and I really hope that this thread will get the attention it deserves. OK, I am a second-year student of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, currently studying Computer Science and this semester we're supposed to have a course on C++ programming language. I know there are nairalanders who are proficient and well accustomed to the language, I want to know if the language is worth learning, and if it is, how difficult it is to learn because I really want to improve my coding and I think that the language will be worth my time and effort.

Over to you guys, what's your take??

2 Likes

Re: C++ Programming: To Do Or Not To Do. by bet9ja(m): 8:23pm On May 07, 2017
People find C++ difficult but I must tell u the truth, it is more easier than any programming languages you see out there. I am taking the class right now with UNISA and I can testify.
That said, I suggest you take a brief study with edx on introduction to C++ before your main class as this will help you to stay ahead of class.

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

Int main()
{
cout << "Hello World!">> endl;
}

3 Likes

Re: C++ Programming: To Do Or Not To Do. by phililp(m): 8:52pm On May 07, 2017
the truth is if u already have a good knowledge of any programming language then u will definitely find c plul plus a lot easier...

but if it is ur first programming language then it might just be a brain f**k

1 Like

Re: C++ Programming: To Do Or Not To Do. by aridude(m): 9:02pm On May 07, 2017
bet9ja:
People find C++ difficult but I must tell u the truth, it is more easier than any programming languages you see out there. I am taking the class right now with UNISA and I can testify.
That said, I suggest you take a brief study with edx on introduction to C++ before your main class as this will help you to stay ahead of class.

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

Int main()
{
cout << "Hello World!">> endl;
}

Thanks a lot...
Re: C++ Programming: To Do Or Not To Do. by aridude(m): 9:07pm On May 07, 2017
phililp:
the truth is if u already have a good knowledge of any programming language then u will definitely find c plul plus a lot easier...

but if it is ur first programming language then it might just be a brain f**k

well, I started out with Qbasic and then Java...Guess I already have a good knowledge of programming
Re: C++ Programming: To Do Or Not To Do. by BlueMagnificent(m): 10:01pm On May 07, 2017
If you are really willing and ready to learn C++ then you will enjoy it. I see you have done a bit of java then you'll definitely not encounter much of a hitch.
Re: C++ Programming: To Do Or Not To Do. by WhiZTiM(m): 12:04am On May 08, 2017
Here's my N1.25kobo rant:
======================

Is the language worth learning?
Yes it is. Its a fantastic language. Virtually all major services you use daily has some C++ code sitting somewhere. From your internet systems, routers, web-services, down to your computing device.

One thing about C++
C++ doesn't give you performance as people claim. However, it gives you unfettered control over performance. So a badly written C++ will not be fast, period.
However, a well crafted and highly fine tuned C++ program on a latest aggressively optimizing compiler is likely to produce the best you could get in terms of raw runtime performance.

What lessons will I pick up during my C++ Journey
- You will learn about absolute performance
- You will learn about the Computer Architecture
- You will learn how the CPU works
- You will learn how to align code to memory lines
- You will learn what makes Intel Core i3 7th generation series better than Intel Core i7 2nd generation
- You will learn how the OS interacts with your programs.
- You will learn to think forward
- You will learn to take responsibility

What are the prerequisite knowledge?
None. There's no entry barrier.

How difficult is it?
It's one of the most powerful languages out there with some complexities that will take a while (a year or two) to master a lot of it.
With enormous power comes a lot of responsibility, so, over the course of your career, you'll learn a lot of interesting stuff that will put you ahead of other programmers in terms of designing and implementing Performance-critical Systems.

How long does it take to learn it?
You can learn most parts of it within a year.

If you are a novice to programming, you can start writing beautiful, elegant, scalable, maintainable infrastructure with it after about two years. As you would find in Google, Facebook, etc.

Pro level expertise, about 4 years or more, from novice.

Note, don't let this scare you off. Everyone that tells you he is a master of XYZ language after less than 2 years of lifetime programming experience is a liar. Programming is both Technical and Artistic. It takes years to develop a good combo of those skills.

Note the emphasis on "lifetime" above. I am talking about new programmers.

I want to improve my problem solving skills.
The most prestigious programming contest in the world, the ACM-ICPC (Association of Computing Machinery - International Collegiate of Programming Contests) uses C++ as one of its two official languages.

Given that you are in school now, you are eligible to participate. http://icpc.baylor.edu ..Do every thing you can to participate, you'll enjoy it.

Learning the language isn't enough. You will also need to improve your problem solving skills. Algorithm, Data Structures, System Design. These can mostly be obtained by practicing problems on Hackerrank, LeetCode, etc. Or simply participating in ACM-ICPC a few times.

Where can I get resources
I strongly advice you to stick with the ones here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list Those have been curated by world class experts and some have the blessings from the who-is-who in the C++ world. Including my little blessings...lol.

How modern is C++
C++ has been existing in the industry for more than 30 years now. And has several billions of lines of Code working out there.
It has also undergone growth. It evolves every 3 years now. And each evolution gets better, faster, and more modern. No matter what book or resource you pick, make sure it was produced/released of written after the year 2010.

- We have an amazing version of the language known as C++11. Standardized in 2011
- We have a nicer version which I currently use for new projects, C++14. Standardized in 2014
- We have an upcoming one called C++17. To be standardized in few months time.
- We will have another by 2020. And so on...

It gets faster, better, and more beautiful each time.

In C++, you only pay for what you use. The language never incurs any penalty on features or stuff you didn't use.

After that, how do I stay ahead of the language's evolution?
After you've gone through months following introductry texts and undergone some personal projects.
You want to attempt answering questions on Stackoverflow.

But still, you can go ahead and watch the video coverage of the proceedings from renowned C++ conferences such as: CppCon, CppNow, BoostCon, ACCU, MeetingCpp, NDC talks ...PS: You can search those on Youtube.

Why shouldn't you learn C++?
If you are lazy and hate challenges, and if you easily get depressed.

4 Likes

Re: C++ Programming: To Do Or Not To Do. by aridude(m): 1:20am On May 08, 2017
WhiZTiM:
Here's my N1.25kobo rant:
======================

Yes it is. Its a fantastic language. Virtually all major services you use daily has some C++ code sitting somewhere. From your internet systems, routers, web-services, down to your computing device.

C++ doesn't give you performance as people claim. However, it gives you unfettered control over performance. So a badly written C++ will not be fast, period.
However, a well crafted and highly fine tuned C++ program on a latest aggressively optimizing compiler is likely to produce the best you could get in terms of raw runtime performance.

- You will learn about absolute performance
- You will learn about the Computer Architecture
- You will learn how the CPU works
- You will learn how to align code to memory lines
- You will learn what makes Intel Core i3 7th generation series better than Intel Core i7 2nd generation
- You will learn how the OS interacts with your programs.
- You will learn to think forward
- You will learn to take responsibility

None. There's no entry barrier.

It's one of the most powerful languages out there with some complexities that will take a while (a year or two) to master a lot of it.
With enormous power comes a lot of responsibility, so, over the course of your career, you'll learn a lot of interesting stuff that will put you ahead of other programmers in terms of designing and implementing Performance-critical Systems.

You can learn most parts of it within a year.

If you are a novice to programming, you can start writing beautiful, elegant, scalable, maintainable infrastructure with it after about two years. As you would find in Google, Facebook, etc.

Pro level expertise, about 4 years or more, from novice.

Note, don't let this scare you off. Everyone that tells you he is a master of XYZ language after less than 2 years of lifetime programming experience is a liar. Programming is both Technical and Artistic. It takes years to develop a good combo of those skills.

Note the emphasis on "lifetime" above. I am talking about new programmers.

The most prestigious programming contest in the world, the ACM-ICPC (Association of Computing Machinery - International Collegiate of Programming Contests) uses C++ as one of its two official languages.

Given that you are in school now, you are eligible to participate. http://icpc.baylor.edu ..Do every thing you can to participate, you'll enjoy it.

Learning the language isn't enough. You will also need to improve your problem solving skills. Algorithm, Data Structures, System Design. These can mostly be obtained by practicing problems on Hackerrank, LeetCode, etc. Or simply participating in ACM-ICPC a few times.

I strongly advice you to stick with the ones here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list Those have been curated by world class experts and some have the blessings from the who-is-who in the C++ world. Including my little blessings...lol.

C++ has been existing in the industry for more than 30 years now. And has several billions of lines of Code working out there.
It has also undergone growth. It evolves every 3 years now. And each evolution gets better, faster, and more modern. No matter what book or resource you pick, make sure it was produced/released of written after the year 2010.

- We have an amazing version of the language known as C++11. Standardized in 2011
- We have a nicer version which I currently use for new projects, C++14. Standardized in 2014
- We have an upcoming one called C++17. To be standardized in few months time.
- We will have another by 2020. And so on...

It gets faster, better, and more beautiful each time.

In C++, you only pay for what you use. The language never incurs any penalty on features or stuff you didn't use.

After you've gone through months following introductry texts and undergone some personal projects.
You want to attempt answering questions on Stackoverflow.

But still, you can go ahead and watch the video coverage of the proceedings from renowned C++ conferences such as: CppCon, CppNow, BoostCon, ACCU, MeetingCpp, NDC talks ...PS: You can search those on Youtube.

If you are lazy and hate challenges, and if you easily get depressed.

Thanks a bunch man... This is pretty fucking Amazing.

1 Like

Re: C++ Programming: To Do Or Not To Do. by KazukiIto(m): 7:01pm On May 08, 2017
Wow WhizTim!!!!?

1 Like

Re: C++ Programming: To Do Or Not To Do. by bet9ja(m): 6:57pm On May 09, 2017
That is a good finishing.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Web Developer WANTED For Immediate Employment - APPLY NOW! / Please Help! How Can I Be A Self-taught Programmer/developer? / Companies In Nigeria That Uses Solaris Os

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.