Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,949 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

You Can Overcome DEPRESSION (DOWN CAST) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / You Can Overcome DEPRESSION (DOWN CAST) (280 Views)

5 Years No Admission: Depression Is Taking Over Me / FUOYE Cancels Governing Council Election As 440 Voters Cast 955 Votes / How Students Can Overcome Depression (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

You Can Overcome DEPRESSION (DOWN CAST) by cokpe41(m): 2:16pm On May 08, 2017
TOPIC: DEPRESSION (DOWN CAST)

FOR THOSE WHO ARE DEPRESS, READ BELOW AND YOU CAN TEACH OTHERS TOO
INTRODUCTION
You won't find the term "depression" in the Bible, except in the New Living Translation. Instead, the Bible uses words such as downcast, sad, discouraged, downhearted, mourning, troubled, miserable, and brokenhearted.
Story of killing (a young was telling his friend that he call kill for money. That is the society we are living)
However, the Bible tell us some person that have the symptoms of this disease: Hagar, Moses, Naomi, Hannah, Saul, David, Solomon, Elijah, Nehemiah, Job, Jeremiah, John the Baptist, Judas Iscariot, and Paul.
WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT DEPRESSION?
The Truths from God's Word is that, the word of God can bring re-assurance and that you are not alone in your struggle with depression.
NO ONE IS IMMUNE FROM DEPRESSION
The Bible shows that depression can strike anyone. Poor people like Naomi, the mother-in-law of Ruth, and very rich people, like King Solomon, suffered from depression. Young people, like David, and older people, like Job, were also afflicted.
Depression strikes both women, like Hannah, and men, like Jeremiah, the "weeping prophet." Understandably, depression can come after a defeat:
When David and his men reached Ziklag, they found it destroyed by fire and their wives and sons and daughters taken captive. So David and his men wept aloud until they had no strength left to weep. (1 Samuel 30:3-4, NIV)
Oddly, an emotional letdown can also come after a great victory. Elijah the prophet defeated the false prophets of Baal on Mount Carmel in a stunning display of God's power (1 Kings 18:38). But instead of being encouraged, Elijah, fearing Jezebel's revenge, was weary and afraid: Elijah had a close relationship with God and was used powerfully by Him. Many people witnessed the greatness of God through the prophet.
Elijah encouraged many people. He helped a widow and her son who were down-and-out and had only enough food for one more meal. Elijah told the widow that God would provide, and He did. Later, when her son died, Elijah asked God to bring him back to life, and God did. This widow's hope was restored through Elijah.
Elijah did many other amazing works by the power of God, but the Bible shows that even great men of God can get tripped up by the trials and challenges of living God's way in a world under the sway of Satan. The story of Elijah's descent into depression is a classic.
Not only was Elijah hated and threatened with death by the evil Queen Jezebel, he also felt his work had been in vain and that no one else was supporting God. He felt totally alone, vulnerable and hopeless. Being human like you and me, all this started to get to him.
Elijah got overwhelmed and wanted to quit. No one knew Elijah was depressed. But God did.
God approached Elijah, and Elijah told God that he had been doing his best, but it was all for nothing. Elijah told God he was tired and just wanted to quit and die!
God then did something surprising. First He put on a display of His power. But immediately afterward, He comforted Elijah by talking with him in a gentle whisper. God also quietly told Elijah that He had more work for him to do and let him know he wasn't alone. God showed Elijah He was more than just a mighty God of power. He
GOD IS NOT ANGRY ABOUT OUR DEPRESSION
Discouragement and depression are normal parts of being human. They can be triggered by the death of a loved one, illness, loss of a job or status, divorce, leaving home, or many other traumatic events. The Bible does not show God punishing his people for their sadness. Rather, he acts as a loving Father:
David was greatly distressed because the men were talking of stoning him; each one was bitter in spirit because of his sons and daughters. But David found strength in the LORD his God. (1 Samuel 30:6, NIV)
For when we came into Macedonia, we had no rest, but we were harassed at every turn-conflicts on the outside, fears within. But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, and not only by his coming but also by the comfort you had given him.
FIVE HOPE IN THE MIDST OF DEPRESSION
One of the great truths of the Bible is that God is our hope when we are in trouble, including depression. The message is clear. When depression hits, fix your eyes on God, his power, and his love for you:
What you need to know is that;
1. The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. (Deuteronomy 31:8, NIV)
2. Be strong and courageous. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9, NIV)
3. God is Close to the brokenhearted and saves them. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. (Psalm 34:18, NIV)
4. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10, NIV)
5. God has a plan for you" For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you." (Jeremiah 29:11-12, NIV)
6. Ask for comforter. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever; (John 14:16, KJV) story the Doctor
(Jesus said) "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:20, NIV)
7. Don’t live by sight. For we live by faith, not by sight. (2 Corinthians, 5:7, NIV)
8. Psalm 34:17-18 When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.
9. Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
10. 1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
11. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
12. Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
13. Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
God that cared. Elijah's hope was restored (1 Kings 19:1-18).
What else does the Bible say you can do to help overcome depression?
Proverbs 17:22
Have a merry heart. A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones.
Philippians 4:8 say
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
Joyfulness and cheerfulness are a type of medicine for our minds and bodies. It's good for us to smile and laugh! So when we are discouraged, we need to do something that cheers us up. Helping others also brings us a "merry heart."
Meditating on good things is also healthy for our minds, because it helps replace Satan's negative broadcasts with good thoughts. The Psalms remind us that meditating on God's law brings great peace (Psalm 119:97, 165).
Finally, what does God want your mind-set to be when you are in a difficult trial? (Gives bible passage)
1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
1 Peter 5:10 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.

God can help and if you put your trust on Him

Christian Okpe for you

(1) (Reply)

Advice Needed; What Course Should He Do, For His Masters? / LAUTECH Students Carry Obituary Pictures Of Their V.C Still Alive / Study In China... Admission Open @an Affordable Tuition & Accommodation Fee.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.