Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,356 members, 7,853,582 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 07:30 PM

Biafra & Nigeria : Why We Must Find A Lasting Economic Solution ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra & Nigeria : Why We Must Find A Lasting Economic Solution ! (829 Views)

Ijaw Side Of The Biafra-nigeria Conflict-must WATCH!!! / Biafra: Can We Use An Economic Solution To Make Them Stay / Biafra: Can We Use An Economic Solution To Make Them Stay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra & Nigeria : Why We Must Find A Lasting Economic Solution ! by tonychristopher: 11:19am On May 09, 2017
Nnamdi Kanu has been released, glasses of champagne has been clicked in the Eastern part of Nigeria and some parts of the Niger Delta that are hell bent on having their own country known as Biafra. Names ( Biafra and IPOB) have turned out to be that proverbial bee that has perches at the Nigeria’s scrotum. Allow the bee,it stings the hell out of the scrotum and kill the bee, it hurts the scrotum. This is the position of Biafra . Orchestrated by the “new kid ” in the block , Nnamdi Kanu. Biafra also has presented a case, how the Negroid or a black man will govern himself without resorting to brute. Some analyst says that Biafra will display the level of logicality in the average Blackman’s mind. With his release now, what is the next step? Will court cases go on as planned? Will there be tons of negotiations and cessations and truce? Questions like these are being asked by watchers.

Nigeria noted to be the biggest black country globally, Biafra will present to the global community how the Blackman reasons either with his gun or with his brains. And the Blackman has sufficiently demonstrated to the world that he prefers reasoning with the latter than the former. ” We will kill everything that walks ” quoted Benjamin Adekunle, during the first Biafra war about half a century ago. And he did exactly that, killed many and he was given a badge if honours, decorated and a Street named after him in Lagos. Though he later died a sad and unfulfilled man. That’s how the Blackman has come to reason.

Then came Nnamdi Kanu,ignored by the former administration and made popular and a legend by the present administration. An international report, but it this way.

“Until recently, Kanu was politely ignored by the outside world. To many Igbos, he was at best an expat dreamer, at worst a rabble- rousing shock jock. Then, after years in which nobody took him seriously, the Nigerian government did just that. During a visit to Nigeria 15 months ago, he was arrested by its feared Department of State Security at a hotel in Lagos,” The Telegraph London.

With the tilted form of development and quest for restructure of the country which have been frowned by some sections of the country has been said to be one of the remote causes of the pursuit of the dreamland by the Majority Christian East and thus, the majority North isn’t finding palatable with the middle belt confused on where and whom to side. Mind you, the middle belt is 60% Christian. So , the quest for Biafra can be attributed to quest for self determination.

This new emergence of Biafra ( not as if the ideology died, it didn’t die ) can be attributed to a culmination of isolationist acts Nigeria has dished (full course and with buffet ) to the Igbo which can be seen from political , infrastructural to and otherwise. Today’s Biafrans must have studied the methodology that their fathers used and improved upon it. And this method seems to be working and the world has taken notice of it.

“Angered by the massacre of tens of thousands of Igbos in the Muslim-dominated north, Biafra formed its own army, produced its own currency, and declared independence. The Igbos, who often describe themselves as the ‘Jews of Africa’, wanted their own Israel. They got something closer to holocaust.” The Telegraph London

In the words of international observer ,Colin Freeman, he captured the essence of Biafra and Nnamdi Kanu road to legend and martyrdom. Presently even deified by the Nigeria government,he said

“It has been nearly 50 years since Biafra’s bitter independence struggle, the inspiration for Frederick Forsyth’s bestselling The Dogs of War. Now a south London DJ currently imprisoned in Nigeria has taken up the battle, and Biafrans are once again fighting – and dying – for the dream of their own country”

The new found love for Biafra by the people of Igbo descent and their southern cousin in Nigeria Delta States have reached a crescendo that the Nigerians federal government can’t afford to ignore and at the same time must find a lasting solution. The lasting solution has always been within their grips, but they prefer looking for it on the mountain top. A clear case of not thinking outside the box. One of the characteristics of the African leadership.

Just like how the average carpenter view every problem solution through a hammer the African government solves everything with brute and force. There can be a clear departure from this and the Biafra issue can be solved seamlessly and simply via economic means .

Well, rumours have been peddled that the Nigerian government is thinking of of allowing the five Igbo states go, though not ascertained . But, if the this is to be true! Then it will be a mistake. The Igbo is known to have this “Igwe by Ike mentality ” a principle of carrying your brother along. I don’t think that the animal Igbo man will be okay staying on his own knowing that he has about 40 million if his brothers across the river or will be comfortable with another tribe rather than his own siblings the Igbo. The same goes with the Rivers state Igbo. So the solution isn’t this. Nigeria as a country has solutions and there is no need to be petrified or develop phobias for Biafra .

Biafra hinges on our ability as a race to solve our internal problem maturely. Though, we must agree that African countries with the exception of Ethiopia are white man creations. We lacked the capacity, then to either from our countries or govern ourselves. We were created and colonised by the whites, but today Nigeria must use this buffer to demonstrate that African man has evolved. Nigeria must demonstrate that African man can solve some political issues without killing. Nigeria must demonstrate that Biafra agitation can be solved via dialogue and not on battle Field. The whole world is looking at Nigeria. The whole world is asking , why is the Blackman like this ? Nigeria shouldn’t give the world the answers they want.

The economic model that can be used to settle the agitation is simple. It boils down to what has been said all this while. Regionalism! It’s as simple as that. Let the Igbo and the whole Igbo speaking tribes come together and have their region where a greater degree if autonomy is given to them. Something akin to confederation or full federation. They will decide on their own type of democratic process, their own flag, anthem, even police . The education and judicial system can be decided by the region. They will run their own internal affairs to a greater degree and pay a stipend to government at the centre but will use Nigerian passport and be defended by the Nigerian army. Most of the united countries of the world like the UAE, USA, Canada and even Malaysia run this system. They allow the regions to take their decision and have their internal control mechanism intact. This same goes to every region . Regions should be created according to cultural and ideological beliefs. Then make the centre very weak. The presidency should be rotated and also made powerless . The role of the presidency should be ceremonial while power rest on the region. The presidency ,though ceremonial must be rotated amongst the few regions.

This would have been the best bet for the country ,but will the love of oil and the docility if the North allow the country to take this common sense approach? Time will tell.

Another harsh option is dissolution. It takes guts to do this, but shows maturity. The country can have a bilateral trade agreement between the seceding state. The Biafra can be a client state of Nigeria the way Costa Rica is to USA and Hong Kong to China or Gibraltar to Britain. An arrangement if this kind can be put in place . The agreement will be in visa systems, work and business permits and others. When such agreement is made, there is no need to fret over the issue of Biafra. Because, t just simply means a change of name but not a change of brotherhood or friendship. The agitating and the administrating parties must also look at this option. Ireland isn’t a part of the Britain doesn’t make Irish enemies bro English. They still maintain that oneness and brotherliness. Nigeria must learn from their colonial masters .

The Biafra issue, to me isn’t what should give Nigeria headache unless she sees it as so. There is always a way out of seemingly quagmire only if people can look within and factor a way out. The emergence of Biafra or not shouldn’t be seen as a do or die venture. Both should be seen as an evolutionary trend in the way Blackman reasons. He(Biafran) wants to define his destiny and this must be encouraged. One of the arguments that the Biafrans are putting is to redraw the map of Africa that was drawn for African without their consent. And a cursory look at this narrative, they shouldn’t be faulted but negotiated.

http://etimes.com.ng/2017/05/09/biafra-nigeria-why-we-must-find-a-lasting-economic-solution/

1 Like

Re: Biafra & Nigeria : Why We Must Find A Lasting Economic Solution ! by ExplorerReturns(m): 11:39am On May 09, 2017
will buhari hear? No, avengers have damaged his ear drum with bombs!!!! lolz

1 Like

Re: Biafra & Nigeria : Why We Must Find A Lasting Economic Solution ! by Newmanluckyman(m): 12:14pm On May 09, 2017
...this article has merit and it makes a whole lot of sense.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra & Nigeria : Why We Must Find A Lasting Economic Solution ! by ProWalker: 12:16pm On May 09, 2017
Let PDP reign in their foot soldiers in the South East.

1 Like

Re: Biafra & Nigeria : Why We Must Find A Lasting Economic Solution ! by SillyMods: 12:17pm On May 09, 2017
Hogwash!

If any part of the country is really serious about breaking away, they must start through their representatives at the national assembly and their governors speaking with one voice.

On what ground should any serious federal government accept Onikuje as the mouthpiece for the Igbos?

Secession is not about making empty loud noise about fighting a war even when you know you don't even have a bullet.

I am all for breaking Nigeria into many countries but no be the yeye violent way of the terrorist Kanu.
Check my signature.

1 Like

Re: Biafra & Nigeria : Why We Must Find A Lasting Economic Solution ! by macluvph1(m): 1:09pm On May 09, 2017
OP nice write up, Like i said earlier the sun is rising gradually because the IPOB i know can't give up until they actualize or restore Land of the rising sun.

Since IPOB's could protest in front of the Bullet/Blood sucking loving Nigeria soldiers for their freedom i doubt they can back down at this stage.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra & Nigeria : Why We Must Find A Lasting Economic Solution ! by Okoroawusa: 1:43pm On May 09, 2017
the OP made some salient points.I agree wit him on some n I disagree wit him on some.
there some basic n vital points to be noted n questions asked abt this present agitations...
first,where exactly is biafra? is d old map of ojukwu?or d massob map?or ipob map?or benjamin onwuka's zionist map dat draws d biafran map down to semester border?
second,is biafra an igbo nation? dnt just tell me no..
prove it.
thirdly,is biafra about nnamdi kanu?...I personally dnt see him as d messiah
then no matter how useless u think d igbo elites are,we need them.are they in support?
I dnt see d concern of d minorities in all of these...re they really wit us?
finally,a people that want their own nation need not be comfortable in any part of this country but instead be engaging in systematic withdrawal from govt,business,investments,political activities and so on.
Ogwuna ka oramu na onu.ndewonu o!

1 Like

Re: Biafra & Nigeria : Why We Must Find A Lasting Economic Solution ! by Blue3k2: 2:03pm On May 09, 2017
Liked this article.

1 Like

Re: Biafra & Nigeria : Why We Must Find A Lasting Economic Solution ! by deedeedee1: 2:10pm On May 09, 2017
SillyMods:
Hogwash!

If any part of the country is really serious about breaking away, they must start through their representatives at the national assembly and their governors speaking with one voice.

On what ground should any serious federal government accept Onikuje as the mouthpiece for the Igbos?

Secession is not about making empty loud noise about fighting a war even when you know you don't even have a bullet.

I am all for breaking Nigeria into many countries but no be the yeye violent way of the terrorist Kanu.
Check my signature.
Baba i don't think Nigeria can ever separate without war. I do think that the Representatives have a lot of work to do, but these people are not ready and do not want it because of greed. Referendum cannot stop Nigeria from having crises, but how to reduce the number of casualties is what matter.
I myself support the disintegration of this country, but how many Yoruba people do you see support it? Instead they spend their time blaming the leaders for the backwardness of this country without checking other facts. The Yoruba people should know that this country will not and can not move forward because of its foundation.

1 Like

Re: Biafra & Nigeria : Why We Must Find A Lasting Economic Solution ! by tonychristopher: 10:43am On May 10, 2017
why ? There is a lot of sense in it

Right ?

Blue3k2:
Liked this article.
Re: Biafra & Nigeria : Why We Must Find A Lasting Economic Solution ! by tonychristopher: 10:46am On May 10, 2017
I think the OP gave options like regionalism, Confederacy, he used Canada, UAE etc to buttress his point and also he said collapsing the states to a regional arrangements with each zone choosing which name it wants to be called with same etnic nations coming together for a better good. the whole iGBO tribes of SE, SS and MB can be together and have thair region, while same for yoruba etc...

Okoroawusa:
the OP made some salient points.I agree wit him on some n I disagree wit him on some.
there some basic n vital points to be noted n questions asked abt this present agitations...
first,where exactly is biafra? is d old map of ojukwu?or d massob map?or ipob map?or benjamin onwuka's zionist map dat draws d biafran map down to semester border?
second,is biafra an igbo nation? dnt just tell me no..
prove it.
thirdly,is biafra about nnamdi kanu?...I personally dnt see him as d messiah
then no matter how useless u think d igbo elites are,we need them.are they in support?
I dnt see d concern of d minorities in all of these...re they really wit us?
finally,a people that want their own nation need not be comfortable in any part of this country but instead be engaging in systematic withdrawal from govt,business,investments,political activities and so on.
Ogwuna ka oramu na onu.ndewonu o!
Re: Biafra & Nigeria : Why We Must Find A Lasting Economic Solution ! by tonychristopher: 10:48am On May 10, 2017
where are the merits...I think that the Nigeria and Biafran people have not sat down to look at these

Newmanluckyman:
...this article has merit and it makes a whole lot of sense.
Re: Biafra & Nigeria : Why We Must Find A Lasting Economic Solution ! by Blue3k2: 10:51am On May 10, 2017
tonychristopher:
why ? There is a lot of sense in it

Right ?

I posted that short comment just to bump thread. Anyway I have a few of the same opinions. It wouldn't be in Nigeria interest to lose Biafra. The 3rd biggest economy and all its taxes. I think economic integration and giving a lil more autonomy would work.

The parts about African nations loving to settle thing with gun instead of dialogue is very true.
Re: Biafra & Nigeria : Why We Must Find A Lasting Economic Solution ! by tonychristopher: 11:17am On May 10, 2017
You are very right
Blue3k2:

I posted that short comment just to bump thread. Anyway I have a few of the same opinions. It wouldn't be in Nigeria interest to lose Biafra. The 3rd biggest economy and all its taxes. I think economic integration and giving a lil more autonomy would work.

The parts about African nations loving to settle thing with gun instead of dialogue is very true.

(1) (Reply)

Dangote, Adenuga, Others Can End Poverty In Nigeria – Oxfam / Onitsha, Nnewi Residents Shut Markets, Shops, Financial Institutions / SIT AT HOME : Man Wants Abakaliki Bombed 4 Not Complying,reports To Radio Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.