Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,233 members, 7,836,118 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

Why It Is Structurally Wrong To Build Directly On Sand - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why It Is Structurally Wrong To Build Directly On Sand (11151 Views)

*fresh Sale In Gbagada Directly On Gbagada Exp Way.....* A Bongalow Sitting On / How Much Will It Cost To Build A 3 Bedroom Flat In Benin City? / Why It Is Structurally Wrong To Build Directly On Sand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why It Is Structurally Wrong To Build Directly On Sand by opalu: 8:58am On May 10, 2017
Good points raise. Let me add these:-
1. The fast construction process is not what is wrong.
2. Building directly on the sand is not bad either. If not on sand, where else should construction be done? Is it Mud, Clay or Peat?
3. The Point raised by the Poster centres around how people Sandfill their sites today and commence construction the following week without allowing for sufficient compaction and consolidation, the rush to start construction which makes the foundation to settle at the speed of light. Every building settles over a long period. But good engineering practice makes the settlement to be 1. Uniform and 2. Minimally negligible.
After sand-filling a water-logged area, you need to allow it to rest for rains to fall on it well. You need to engage Compacting machines to do justice in it.
This would mean that the weight of the building won't affect it.
Re: Why It Is Structurally Wrong To Build Directly On Sand by Justuceleague2: 9:02am On May 10, 2017
I just knew someone will advertise house
Re: Why It Is Structurally Wrong To Build Directly On Sand by money121(m): 9:05am On May 10, 2017
Shingles Design
Plain brown Colour...
Total sqm: 480sqm

Cost Estimate: #2,074,100

Call/WhatsApp 08085310359 For Your Next Roofing Project

Re: Why It Is Structurally Wrong To Build Directly On Sand by Nobody: 9:16am On May 10, 2017
A storey building (needing renovations) on a plot of land
measuring 648sqm is up for sale..
Suitable for hospital, church, commercial residence or
school.

Title: Deed of Conveyance.
Price: Negotiable

Call/WhatsApp: +2348138718647; +2348023480776
info@naijapropertiesonline.com

www.naijapropertiesonline.com

1 Share

Re: Why It Is Structurally Wrong To Build Directly On Sand by bomsilaga(m): 9:57am On May 10, 2017
When you say on sand without Excavation then it's a no no. With best practices, you can actually build on sand. Please only sound structural engineers should quote me.

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Structurally Wrong To Build Directly On Sand by Structuralman: 12:49pm On May 10, 2017
dejavumart3d:
U re just confusing ursef mixing technical termz u cnt phantom...Cbr!! Bearing Capacity!!! Excavate to stratum bawo!!!Oga ade cam dwn

Your idiosyncrasy simply amazes me. Obviously you are not a civil/structural engineer yet you are the only one that criticizes. How f00lish is that. Kindly go borrow yourself some brains please because yours seems to have leaked out.
Re: Why It Is Structurally Wrong To Build Directly On Sand by dejavumart3d: 1:18pm On May 10, 2017
Haahahahaha u civil engineer u re a disgrace to d profession***if u knw ur onions properly u'll knw wen to use bearing capacity and california bearing ratio....no 2 wen u say stratum it means excavation to d hardest part of d soil. I guess u'll use ur dictionary to check d meaning of stratum so u'll be well informed....3rdly as an engineer u re trainned to solve problems in d most economical way and d structure shud stand d test of tym(safety)....so oga engineer instead of raining insultz which iz totally unprofessional of u chill nd take correctionz it will take u far...
Structuralman:

Your idiosyncrasy simply amazes me. Obviously you are not a civil/structural engineer yet you are the only one that criticizes. How f00lish is that. Kindly go borrow yourself some brains please because yours seems to have leaked out.
Re: Why It Is Structurally Wrong To Build Directly On Sand by Structuralman: 1:34pm On May 10, 2017
dejavumart3d:
Haahahahaha u civil engineer u re a disgrace to d profession***if u knw ur onions properly u'll knw wen to use bearing capacity and california bearing ratio....no 2 wen u say stratum it means excavation to d hardest part of d soil. I guess u'll use ur dictionary to check d meaning of stratum so u'll be well informed....3rdly as an engineer u re trainned to solve problems in d most economical way and d structure shud stand d test of tym(safety)....so oga engineer instead of raining insultz which iz totally unprofessional of u chill nd take correctionz it will take u far...

The more you talk the more you expose your folly. I wont continue to create unnecessary war of words in this thread. I rest my case.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

See The Future Of African Homes And Cities.......... / Invest In Tastefully Finished 2 Or 3 Bedroom Apartments At Abijo G.R.A Lagos / [[DOWNLOAD.ZIP]] Drake Nothing Was The Same (ALBUM^)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.