Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,903 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

JUST IN! Drama As Senate Aborts ‘coup’ Against Osinbajo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / JUST IN! Drama As Senate Aborts ‘coup’ Against Osinbajo (948 Views)

BusinessDay Apologises For Fake News Against Osinbajo / 'CJN Suspension Is A Coup Against The Judiciary' - Nigerian Bar Association / How PDP's Peter Obi Won The Debate Against Osinbajo with Facts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

JUST IN! Drama As Senate Aborts ‘coup’ Against Osinbajo by mcebisco01: 9:28am On May 10, 2017
The Senate yesterday averted what would have become a constitutional crisis over the absence of President Muhammadu Buhari who is on medical vacation in London and the role the Vice President is expected to play during the period.
Buhari had, in a letter addressed to the President of the Senate, Dr. Bukola Saraki, told the lawmakers that in his absence, the Vice President, Prof. Femi Osinbajo, would be coordinating activities of government.
The letter, dated May 7, read as follows: “In compliance with Section 145(1) of the 1999 Constitution as amended, I wish to inform the distinguished Senate that I will be away for a scheduled medical follow-up with my doctors in London. The length of my stay will be determined by the doctors’ advice.
“While I am away, the Vice President will coordinate the activities of the government. Please accept, the distinguished Senate president, the assurances of my highest consideration.”
But as soon as the letter was read, Senator Mao Ohaunbuwa (PDP Abia North) raised a point of order faulting the language of the letter. Ohuabunwa argued that contrary to the rule, the President did not state the appropriate designation of the Vice President as Acting President as stipulated in Section 145 of the 1999 Constitution.
According to him, the position of the “coordinator of government activities” does not exist in the constitution and should not have come up in the President’s letter. He, therefore, suggested that the letter should be rejected. “Mr. President, I don’t think we have anything like coordinating president or coordinating vice president in our constitution.
It is either you are vice president or you are acting president and any letter should be unambiguous and very clear.
“So, I am saying that this letter really does not convey anything because coordinator has no space or any place in our constitution.
We have been having letters like this before where the status of acting president was clearly stated for the Vice President and we know who to deal with as a Senate. “This is the highest legislative body of any country and if you are sending us a letter, it should be direct and unambiguous.

So, I am saying that this letter, for me, is not right and maybe should be sent back,” Ohuabunwa said. However, Majority Leader of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, raised a counter argument that the letter should be accepted in principle as long as it was based on provisions of Section 145 of the Constitution.
“Let me say that the point of order raised by my colleague and the explanation that subsequently followed shouldn’t have been and my reasons are simple. “I still rely on the first paragraph of that letter which Mr. President wrote to this Senate and read by the President of the Senate and I will read section (145). It reads: “Whenever the President transmits to the president of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration, but he is proceeding on vacation….
“Any other word in this letter, or indeed anywhere else, is irrelevant. I, therefore, feel that Mr. President has done what the constitution requires him to do and I urge this Senate not to go ahead to discuss this because it’s not an issue. We have the budget and so many other serious issues for us to discuss and Nigerians are waiting,” Lawan said.
At this point, the President of the Senate ruled that as long as the letter has referred to the Constitution, there was no ambiguity and no contest as to the position of the law on the designation of the Vice President whenever the President was absent and had duly communicated same to the parliament.
Saraki said: “In view of the fact that the letter quoted Section 145(1) of the Constitution which stipulated that the Vice President would work as Acting President, the word `coordinate’ should be disregarded. “I think it is a very clear issue and what should be guided by is the Constitution and I think that it is clear.
“The letter has referred to the Constitution and there’s no ambiguity in the Constitution.
So, I don’t think there’s any issue there. Let me rule you out if order, Senator Mao.’’ New Telegraph gathered that the motion and counter motion emanated from the speculations in some quarters that the letter from the President was deliberately structured to create some loopholes in the system.
A source in the Senate told New Telegraph that the debate on the letter was meant to set the records straight and avoid a situation where the cabal in the Presidency would exploit the so-called ambiguity in the letter to limit the powers of Osinbajo to take full charge and run the affairs of the government in the absence of the ailing President.
Meanwhile, a non-governmental organisation, Advocacy for Integrity and

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2017/05/just-in-drama-as-senate-aborts-coup.html

Re: JUST IN! Drama As Senate Aborts ‘coup’ Against Osinbajo by Khd95(m): 9:31am On May 10, 2017
I dey come fest,make I finish my pap

(1) (Reply)

3 Nigerians Among 5 Nominees For 2017 Caine Prize For African Writers / President Buhari To Arrive In Nigeria On July 27 / Any Update On These Ultimatums?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.