Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,019 members, 7,953,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:42 AM

What You Need For A Successful Change In Career - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What You Need For A Successful Change In Career (566 Views)

How To Meet Your Heroes And Get Them To Partner With You In Career / Widow Who Rides Keke, Becomes A Successful Entrepreneur, Inspires Nigerians / Change In Career From A Banker To An IT Professional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What You Need For A Successful Change In Career by Manny93(m): 2:18pm On May 11, 2017
I was inspired to write about something a large number of Nigerian Youths can relate to, specifically people within the age bracket of 23 to 26 years. It’s no news that tons of graduates inundate the labour market on a yearly basis of which a sizeable chunk want a change in career. What could be the reason? One would ask. Well, there is no clear-cut answer to that question. A logical school of thought would be that industries are lacking for graduates of various fields to be hired, and to effectively apply/ practice what they have learned over the years. Hence the need for a switch to industries with a large hiring capacity and/or practical application of technical skill-sets. We can also analyze this trend and attribute it to certain fundamental issues we got wrong or simply the fact that it just wasn’t meant to be. If you ask me, I will also ascribe this to the lack of the integration of a counseling unit in every institution.

Imagine you just graduated from the university and proceed to ask yourself the most cliché question always asked to Nigerian graduates, so what’s next? The default answer to this is usually one of the following, get a Job and start life, get a job and save for masters or for the wealthy one’s it would be to just go for their masters. For some others, they battle with the revelation of wanting a new career path. Recently, I was stunned when a friend of mine who is about to graduate from medical school told me he doesn’t want to be a doctor and would like to be a professional photographer. As strange as this may sound, it is actually true and it does happen.

Many people find this period to be a dark part of their lives, they go with the failed logic that they have wasted years studying something they just realized they wouldn’t want to explore further. On the contrary, I think of it quite differently. Why should anyone feel sad after making a self-discovery of what they would truly want to do in life? I have always been about positivity and I would say to people experiencing this to be happy and thank God that they would finally have the chance to do what they enjoy doing for a long-time. Rather than dwell in the past, I would suggest they think of what is needed to have that successful career change. We would journey through what I think are key to make this come to fruition. And for those who may wonder why you should take me seriously. Well, you should because I actually made the “switch” using the same guidelines. So it is safe to say, it has been tested and is trusted.

Pray about it:
We must note that prayer is not magic and as such we cannot summon God as though He were a genie, waiting to grant our wishes without regard for our circumstances or the consequences. We should also not pray with the intention of imposing a demand on God. He is the Creator of the universe and does not take orders from us. Before going ahead with any decision, I strongly advise that you put things into the hands of the Creator and watch out for the signs.

Evaluate your Assets, Skills, and Experience:

Assets in this regard are the valuable theoretical knowledge and technical skills you possess. Before making the grand plan on the career change, you have to evaluate the assets you already have to know your current stand Vis-à-vis where you wish to be (i.e. your career of choice). Doing this gives you a more accurate result on your new career’s SWOT analysis, which by the way I recommend you carry out. You should consider developing skills that align with what’s needed for the career you wish to change to.
By now every Job seeker in Nigeria should know that experience is key. Therefore, you should make it your job to get the much-needed experience before you land your dream job. The experience cliff is even steeper for those who are trying to make a career switch. The reason isn’t far-fetched. First of all, you are at a disadvantage because your potential employer, not just only knows you don’t have the on the job experience, he also believes you do not have the theoretical skill-set too as you are coming from a varying field.

The best way to get experience in a field is to learn by doing. So let’s assume your dream Job is to be a Network administrator for an ISP (Internet Service Provider), then spend some 6 months or even a year interning at an ISP (whether paid or unpaid), make connections and see what happens. Are you curious to know whether business development or Marketing is better than your current job? If you work in a company where both functions co-exist, offer to help out for free. Whatever the situation, actions, not plans, generate lessons that help you test your hypotheses against reality. Actions help you discover where you want to go and how to get there. The bottom line here is that you get the experience employers demand.

Be persistent:
Persistence is defined as the quality that allows someone to continue doing something or trying to do something even though it is difficult or opposed by other people. The application of persistence to any task, interaction or goal is often what distinguishes between those who are successful and those who fail in any endeavor. Indeed, a lack of persistence or "giving up too soon" is one of the most common reasons for failure in any endeavor. Think of the time you attended a seminar and had been inspired to go back to work and quickly implement an idea that you have learned. Often that great idea disappears quickly if we do not immediately practice our new learning and persist in using this learned new behavior.

I would give a quick insight into the application of this wonderful trait. I had been through a series of interviews with a particular company that was into the career path I desired after graduation. During the interview, the interviewer who was the owner of the company quickly spotted the disparity in my course of study and their course requirement for the Job. He then asked me why I was there and my reply was this; "because the Human Resource Manager deemed me worthy to grant me this interview and also because I can add value to the company", the following discussion is too long to bring up here. I was able to convince him about my passion and how the technical knowledge I have amassed from my self-study and pieces of training has prepared me for the role at hand. Of course, you should know not to say this if you can’t defend yourself on the technical war-front which would certainly come afterward.

The interviews passed and so did the practical test and research work submission, yet I got no call. If my memory isn’t failing me, I sent not less than 15 follow-up email during this whole process and guess what? In one of the replies I got, He (the boss) admitted I was persistent and that they would definitely get back to me. I then reverted to my first advice—“pray about it”. Fast-forward three weeks later and I got the call I had long waited for.

Be creative:
Creativity has always been a winner and would continue to be. It is what keeps companies afloat. You have to do the unconventional to get your potential employer to buy into whatever it is you are proposing, especially if you are trying to break grounds in an uncharted and unfamiliar terrain. I recall reading some time ago about how a Job seeker presented his résumé to the boss of a company by disguising himself as a pizza delivery man. You too can do something impressive to get recognized.

Be willing to make sacrifices:
If you want a change in career then you must be willing to make certain sacrifices, such sacrifices might include the possibility of accepting a low salary for an internship or even a free internship. It could also be staying up late at night to study extra. It varies for different people but is a constant in ensuring your change in career is successful. Change comes with pain but this pain la er becomes a gain. To explain it well, "no pain, no gain"! Endure the pain and make that switch not only come through but to be a success.

Get Inspired:
One effective way of getting to accomplish your career goals is to get yourself inspired by those who are currently smashing those goals and setting higher ones. It stirs up the fire in your belly and sets you flying. This could be by integrating yourself in a social gathering with those who are in that field, it could be by attending seminars meant for that career. I’ll use myself as an example, sometimes I go to some really exquisite hangout spots on the island just to get inspired. Of course, I order the cheapest drink because I know I haven’t reached such financial buoyancy. But I realize each time I am there I get buoyed by seeing the elites of the society live another life in this life that many people dream about. I have never left there the same person I walked in as. In fact, I was once pressured to get new ideas from my boss and guess where I found that idea? Your guess is as good as mine. My point is that you should find any means to get inspired.

Be Confident in your Abilities and Stay Focused:
I have always believed there is nothing I cannot do once I put my mind to it. This mentality is a must have for anyone who wants a change in career. It is likely that in an interview for a technical role you would be asked things you haven’t done practically even though you do know the technicalities involved. In situations like this, you should be confident enough to say you can do it. Some people might not know but confidence is a key thing a modern day employer looks out for. The last but not in any way the least is that you have to stay focused. There is hardly anything that can’t be achieved once you stay focused on your set goals. A career change is not the easiest thing to do especially in Nigeria, but if you take the aforementioned steps, I am quite certain you will enjoy the rest of your days doing a job you have a passion for.

Source:Ngcareers.com- Africa's Preferred Career-site, Get Hired

(1) (Reply)

10 Places Never To Visit Again / Lie Detector Test / Buy And Install Your Tstv Full Kit At An Affordable Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.