Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,713 members, 7,831,248 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

Many Nigerian Muslims Advise Their kids to Tone Down Islamic Dressing After Mutallab Incident - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Many Nigerian Muslims Advise Their kids to Tone Down Islamic Dressing After Mutallab Incident (985 Views)

An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) / GEJ's Ramadan Message To Nigerian Muslims / Why You Don't Hear Southern Nigerian Muslims Responses On National Issues. (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Many Nigerian Muslims Advise Their kids to Tone Down Islamic Dressing After Mutallab Incident by AloyEmeka3: 8:15am On Jan 11, 2010
The parents, particularly Muslims, whose children are either schooling, employed or generally living abroad, by last weekend, started making frequent calls to their wards to monitor their movement and activities. The children are being advised to shave their beards, dress as cosmopolitan as possible while visits to mosques should be limited to Friday Jummat services for the time being. Though most of the parents spoke anonymously, they all seemed to share the same opinion about the unfolding
development.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-379333.0.html

I consider myself as one of the lucky few whose children do not answer to Islamic names which will be one of the give-away signs of their religion. The second sign of identification being the dressing
”.

Alhaja Mulikat Agbomeji, a business woman with two sons in universities in the UK, who described Nigeria’s listing among terror nations as very unfortunate, said she has increased the number of times she calls her children from weekends only to daily since the development. According to her, “many parents tend to take things for granted because once the children are abroad, we are under the impression that security wise, they are safe.
This Mutallab’s case has added another dimession to it. Unfortunately, we cannot change our religion because of what one of us has done. We cannot change our names overnight because we don’t want to be identified with a certain group. But what we can do is to stay out of trouble and don’t make ourselves targets for suspicion”.

She disclosed further, “ I have told my sons to limit their visits to the mosques to only Jummat worships and, if possible, avoid it totally for now. God will understand.

Another parent who has three children in the UK disclosed that she has advised her male children to shave their beards and dress simply so as not to attract unwarranted attention from security operatives. “Apart from the beards, I have told them not to engage in any religious discussion or argument with anyone, and to moderate their dressing.

She noted that she would be travelling to the U.K to see them as soon as possible for further discussion, pointing out that “it is no longer safe to send impressionable, young children abroad without personally monitoring their activities”.
Re: Many Nigerian Muslims Advise Their kids to Tone Down Islamic Dressing After Mutallab Incident by AloyEmeka3: 8:25am On Jan 11, 2010
I don't know what will make me deny Jesus Christ in my lifetime. I am also getting reports that some Nigerian muslims in US are quickly becoming baptists. Olabowale may soon be left alone in this faith at this rate.
Re: Many Nigerian Muslims Advise Their kids to Tone Down Islamic Dressing After Mutallab Incident by mukina2: 11:46am On Jan 11, 2010
where did it say that they advised the kids to deny Mohammed?
You like misleading topics dont you?

(1)

Repel Evil With Good / Is Violence The Means Of Expressing Displeasure/dissatisfaction? / Am A Muslim, Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.